PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Also would anyone be able to recommend a monitor for my set up? Rocking 2 regular HD monitors at the moment but I’m looking at upgrading before Cyberpunk releases. Fine with the 1 monitor as long as it’s a decent size.
Need way more information
- budget
- what GPU you have
- resolution
- what you plan to do with it?
- if it includes gaming, what sorts of games do you play?
- do you have a preference for a particular screen technology?
- what's more important - colour accuracy, contrast, or motion handling/not being blurry for fast moving things?
- normal widescreen (16:9), ultrawide (aka UW, 21:9), maybe even super UW (if you have the budget)?

Need way more information
- budget
- what GPU you have
- resolution
- what you plan to do with it?
- if it includes gaming, what sorts of games do you play?
- do you have a preference for a particular screen technology?
- what's more important - colour accuracy, contrast, or motion handling/not being blurry for fast moving things?
- normal widescreen (16:9), ultrawide (aka UW, 21:9), maybe even super UW (if you have the budget)?

probably $400-$500 budget
Have the 2080 Super GPU
Ideally want something that’ll be good for up to 4K so it’ll last for years to come.
Will be used mainly for gaming and streaming. But can sacrifice if budget doesn’t work with that.
I play mainly shooters, but like I said the main reason for the upgrade will be for Cyberpunk.
No particular preference on technology as my knowledge is limited.
Probably motion handling is more important to me.
If I’m going to be sticking to 1 screen I wouldn’t mind going ultra wide.

I think $400-500 limits you to either 27" 1440p IPS (good for motion and colours) or 32" 1440p VA (obviously bigger, better blacks, but VA isn't great for motion blur)

I'd suggest waiting a month or two as stock levels are atrocious right now and most are $60+ more than they were at the start of the year, but the monitors I'd be looking at are
- ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD (27" 1440p IPS)
- LG 32GK650F or Samsung C32JG54 (32" 1440p VA)

You might be able to get a good 4k 60Hz monitor for that price, but those sort of specs are usually considered for single-player/RPG type gaming.

A good 1080p IPS UW is more like $7-800

I think $400-500 limits you to either 27" 1440p IPS (good for motion and colours) or 32" 1440p VA (obviously bigger, better blacks, but VA isn't great for motion blur)

I'd suggest waiting a month or two as stock levels are atrocious right now and most are $60+ more than they were at the start of the year, but the monitors I'd be looking at are
- ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD (27" 1440p IPS)
- LG 32GK650F or Samsung C32JG54 (32" 1440p VA)

You might be able to get a good 4k 60Hz monitor for that price, but those sort of specs are usually considered for single-player/RPG type gaming.

A good 1080p IPS UW is more like $7-800

Input is much appreciated!

Think ill go for the ViewSonic 27". At least that way ill still be able to run 2 monitors, and itll fit on my mount.

Input is much appreciated!

Think ill go for the ViewSonic 27". At least that way ill still be able to run 2 monitors, and itll fit on my mount.
I wish you luck in finding a store that has them in stock 😅

As the go-to recommendation for 1440p in that price range, the stock levels for if have been hammered in this WFH age

I wish you luck in finding a store that has them in stock 😅

As the go-to recommendation for 1440p in that price range, the stock levels for if have been hammered in this WFH age

Can confirm, I'm going for the more upmarket LG and that's been hammered out of stock as well.

The gamery 4k Asus I've been looking at has been out of stock for about 6 or so weeks. It's the wild west right now. If you see anything at all you might have had your eyes on, get it!! haha, I had no intentions on buying any more stuff this week but I was forced to pull the trigger as I saw some places going out of stock on the final things I needed.

Probably, because I'll be getting a Strix.

I can't remember what site it was on but one of them in the comments someone said "that card is huge compared to the person" lmao

any reason for Strix over say EVGA or Gigabyte?

any reason for Strix over say EVGA or Gigabyte?

Mainly to keep it uniform. I currently have a MSI 1080ti because I used to stick to mostly MSI but currently have an Asus board. So instead of having a heap of different brands I'm keeping it as homogenous as possible. That's why all the cooling and stuff I bought is NZXT, while I got Aura compatible RAM to go with the planned Strix graphics card and Crosshair mobo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

drd23 thoughts on this monitor? Wouldn’t be against putting the extra bit of cash as it looks like a better version of the ViewSonic. Plus I read some reviews on the ViewSonic that it had some bad artifacting issues while running overdrive at advanced or ultra on 144hz.

Its true that the Viewsonic has some pretty serious inverse ghosting with the Ultra overdrive setting, but its not bad on Advanced Overdrive. What you are looking for is for as many of the numbers in the top chart to be under 6.7ms (as that is what the frame time is at 144Hz. High numbers, especially in the top rows = dark smearing), with as close to zero in the boxes in the bottom chart (high number = inverse ghosting)
vx2758-2kp-mhd-response-time-tables-max-advanced-large.jpg

Those numbers are pretty acceptable, especially when you consider that monitors that beat them at the same resolution cost hundreds of dollars more in Australia

Unfortunately the best alternative IPS to the one I recommended and the one that Americans usually cite as a better monitor, the LG 27GL83A (or its more expensive cousin the 27GL850), is like twice the price in Australia for some reason when its only in the region of USD$100 more expensive in the US.

As for the monitor you asked about - its a little hard to say how good it is because there don't appear to be any high quality reviews (like the ones's you'd find at Hardware Unboxed, Rtings or TFTCentral) that actually test response times. Unfortunately things like "1ms response time" that get printed on the box don't mean much when they aren't accompanied with the resulting overshoot, which is why we need these sorts of reviews.

I can tell you one thing though - you would be paying extra for the HDR400 certification that the VG272UP has, but the monitor is physically incapable of outputing a proper HDR image because it lacks local area backlighting (one of the key elements required for HDR)

I’m ******* horrible at budgeting. Bit the bullet on the 27GL850 :drunk:

Fantastic monitor and you won't be disappointed. A few of the guys in my clan have started buying that monitor recently and they all really rate it. The ultragear stuff is really good. I'm hoping the 27gn950 (4k version of the monitor) is out soon myself.

I’m ******* horrible at budgeting. Bit the bullet on the 27GL850 :drunk:

Nice, mine should be here in a couple of weeks.

Only slight concern for me is the contrast ratio, but should be fine.

I hope

Nice, mine should be here in a couple of weeks.

Only slight concern for me is the contrast ratio, but should be fine.

I hope

Who'd you order yours through? I noticed you ordered the black variant.

I went through PCCaseGear, showed up as in stock. So hopefully it arrives sometime in the coming week or so.

Who'd you order yours through? I noticed you ordered the black variant.

I went through PCCaseGear, showed up as in stock. So hopefully it arrives sometime in the coming week or so.

I'm in Singapore, so I did mine locally via pre-order as they are completely out of stock everywhere.

drd23 , thoughts on these vs the AOC one we're both keen on?

Top one is 1080p UW. Colours as response time will almost certainly be better as its an LG IPS, but there's less screen real estate than a 3440x1440p monitor

Second one is an older panel with 100Hz refresh, but depending on what you are like with monitors it is certainly possible you wouldn't notice the difference between 100Hz and 144Hz (assuming your system could hit that fps consistently). I've never been able to find a detailed review of that specific monitor, but iirc all the 1440p 100Hz VAs are the same panel, so this HUB review of the Kogan monitor should give you a good idea of what it's like. IIRC Tim recommends the Kogan as good value for money, but the Kogan was something like $650 pre-COVID

Top one is 1080p UW. Colours as response time will almost certainly be better as its an LG IPS, but there's less screen real estate than a 3440x1440p monitor

Second one is an older panel with 100Hz refresh, but depending on what you are like with monitors it is certainly possible you wouldn't notice the difference between 100Hz and 144Hz (assuming your system could hit that fps consistently). I've never been able to find a detailed review of that specific monitor, but iirc all the 1440p 100Hz VAs are the same panel, so this HUB review of the Kogan monitor should give you a good idea of what it's like. IIRC Tim recommends the Kogan as good value for money, but the Kogan was something like $650 pre-COVID

Cheers mate.

FYI Umart has the AOC one in stock $859 calculating at $27 postage for me. Just wanted to check before pulling the trigger.

Don't think it seems there's much better value up to the $900 price point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back