Roast Changes: R6 vs West Coast, 2020 - What the * are we doing?

Winner & Ins / Outs?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if playing Laird forward will be the seachange which resets his mechanism??
Laird has been better the last two weeks .....he gets flustered when pressured and dumps his kicks

He's always been a 25 - 35 mtr kick with a good DE ......for whatever reason the change in the DEF steups has had him pressured and dumping 45-50 mtr kicks to no-one in particular

Was this change in his game plan, by design ?? .......but the last two weeks he's been a bit more composed and shortening his kicks

It was also noticeable with Matt Crouch in Qtr 1 last week .....he tried to run with the ball and kick long ....you could see it was a conscious effort .....unfortunately he resorted to form after half time :thumbsdown:

To our supporter base yes. But let's say media morons started throwing around the T word. All they would look at is experience and age. Like it or not, Mackay helps with that. Regardless, you have to have some experience. Just saying X player won't be around for the next flag tilt so therefore shouldn't play doesn't stand up given it would rule out 90% of our seniors.
We are sitting on 53% and apparently have the 7th youngest team this week. 7th youngest team means we should sitting around 8th-10th on the ladder.
That means 1 of 3 things is occuring or a combination of all. We are not playing a young enough team, our drafting and developing is the worst in the league by far or our list management needs to sacked on the spot. I know our list management is the worst in the league but there is no excuse for selection Mackay, Hartigan and Kelly. Nothing against the lad Keays as well but would he be getting a game at many other clubs? The real problem is our experienced players are just god awful. The crux of the problem is that some of the experience in that team and list should not be at the club and could have been traded when they had true value for trade upgrades or high end draft picks. The bulldogs are case in point. Generally putting out the youngest team each week and still competing for a top 6 spot. I can pretty much guarantee you that if our club was managing their list we would be putting out an older team.

Last edited:
West Coast?
Absolutely WC ......they've been on this yo yo journey .....one good season, one poor season for a while

At no point have WC dominated the competition like a RICH or HAWTH .....given their talented list, if I'm a supporter, I'd be as frustrated as all hell

Hamill's already there, and Sholl will play games

Going to get hard for Sholl. Even assuming Seed is done, in terms of wings and half backs, he's behind those in tomorrow's 22 plus Rat and Milera. And on top of that, as Spackler posted above, one of them is going to have to play forward because they can't all fit as it is. He's got 12 games to get past 3 players at least plus he needs to make sure his opportunity week doesn't coincide with a poor game or injury himself. Any player that's in now that plays well stays. We're not going to drop Dmac if he gets his 15 touches with a couple of link up runs through the middle. He's in to help us be better, not to give Sholl a couple of extra games to get ready.

Absolutely WC ......they've been on this yo yo journey .....one good season, one poor season for a while

At no point have WC dominated the competition like a RICH or HAWTH .....given their talented list, if I'm a supporter, I'd be as frustrated as all hell
But took their opportunity to win the flag against Sydney and played Collingwood instead of Richmond, we didn't.

Yeah a flag in every decade would suck. Much prefer our 22 year drought.

Going to get hard for Sholl. Even assuming Seed is done, in terms of wings and half backs, he's behind those in tomorrow's 22 plus Rat and Milera. And on top of that, as Spackler posted above, one of them is going to have to play forward because they can't all fit as it is. He's got 12 games to get past 3 players at least plus he needs to make sure his opportunity week doesn't coincide with a poor game or injury himself. Any player that's in now that plays well stays. We're not going to drop Dmac if he gets his 15 touches with a couple of link up runs through the middle. He's in to help us be better, not to give Sholl a couple of extra games to get ready.
He's got 12 games, we've played 5 debutants in 6 weeks. We will fit him in, but as you and DABM rightly point out we are flush with a certain type.

This is factually incorrect .....your view in hindsight ....not at their appointment or during their tenure

It's easy to dump on coaches in hindsight ......we're all geniuses looking in the rear view mirror

It's not incorrect. It's evidenced by their records. Clarkson is a good coach, Neeld was not. Are you suggesting we can't judge based upon their degree of success. That they got a job makes them good, so every coach that ever became an AFL head coach is rated equally?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've been close on many occasions .....too frustratingly close

What I'm hoping in this rebuild is that we recruit / draft players with a stronger mental toughness

I will say, I argued that the approach Craig had with Tex Walker at the start of his career was correct ......this board went beserk that this highly talented young player should be playing AFL not SANFL

We'll those same posters that DEMANDED his inclusion in the AFL side .....are the same posters who lambast him now
Maybe if some of these faults in Tex's game (drifting in/out of games) had been ironed out at the start of his career ......he wouldn't have shat himself in the 2017 GF

But this board is so short sighted ......most times

We had our chance every 6 years to win the premiership but weren't good enough, they took their chance but their supporters had to go through what we are going through right now on multiple occasion throughout their AFL existence.

I wonder if playing Laird forward will be the seachange which resets his mechanism??

Yoy know what, I'm been banging on about him having a run through the stoppage set ups and up forward and completely forgot due to being blinded by the Dmac selection and concern that it'll be Hamill forced out of position. Maybe Laird or Brown might be getting a run up forward and through the middle.

We've been close on many occasions .....too frustratingly close

What I'm hoping in this rebuild is that we recruit / draft players with a stronger mental toughness

I will say, I argued that the approach Craig had with Tex Walker at the start of his career was correct ......this board went beserk that this highly talented young player should be playing AFL not SANFL

We'll those same posters that DEMANDED his inclusion in the AFL side .....are the same posters who lambast him now
Maybe if some of these faults in Tex's game (drifting in/out of games) had been ironed out at the start of his career ......he wouldn't have shat himself in the 2017 GF

But this board is so short sighted ......most times
And west coast have actually managed to win it outside of their startup concessions...twice. Its insanity to argue that we have done better than them.

Not all 7 coaches collaborated on the camp ........this club has had more success over successive seasons than many many clubs

There's only a couple that have been classified as elite ......even West Coast & Collingwood supporters would argue their journey has been less successful than ours

View attachment 909509

Yes I'm sure West Coast and Collingwood fans are super jealous of all our flags in the last 10yrs.

Not all 7 coaches collaborated on the camp ........this club has had more success over successive seasons than many many clubs

There's only a couple that have been classified as elite ......even West Coast & Collingwood supporters would argue their journey has been less successful than ours

View attachment 909509
Yes, the West Coast Eagles who have won 4 flags with 2 of those coming since our last. They must be so jealous :drunk:.

Back