Autopsy Dogs lack spark v Port Power, 55-42 loss

Remove this Banner Ad

And we have Naughton. Who led the league in contested marks. And did it from playing as a forward. And there’s seriously people who want to move him back to defense. 😂😂😂😂

I am sick of the bullshit from people wanting potentially the best contested mark in the Comp back in defence. All the nuffies that want him in defence, you really have no footy logic of the importance of a vocal point. Bruce isn’t up to the standard, Naughton will help Bruce get off the leach. Bevo’s plan playing 1 tall forward is a joke. Should of played Trengrove tonight in ruck and had English full forward.

watch the difference when Naughton is back in the side. No more nonsense of Aaron playing in defence when we are crying out for a forward just to compete and take a mark or 2 and bring the ball to ground.

Commiserations guys, you took it up to us and if not for inaccurate kicking could have easily gone the other way. You desperately need a forward but I feel like you guys have screamed out for one for the last decade. Good luck for the rest of the season.

Congrats on the win, Port are a good side.

Given we almost certainly will not, I hope you guys go all the way this year

Richards needs to work on his finishing, and I've been critical of him in the trade thread this week, but fu** me I would take him in JJs spot any day of the week. Give him a run behind the ball and I think he could be something.

On a seperate note, the fact JJ was ever elected into the leadership group makes me worried that our guys are immature enough to vote guys in on popularity rather than leadership abilities. I just don't see what he offers as a leader.

I've said it time and time again, but Wallis was always my pick for the next long term captain after Murphy, yet he's not even our VC. Not criticising Bont, just the fact that Wallis goes so underappreciated
Richards comes alive behind the ball.

What can you say. Up for the fight but lacked another tall for structure. Rather lose like this than the dribble we served up against Blues, Pies, Tigers and saints. This side is dying to get back to Marvel. We refuse to change how we play in tougher conditions.

Bravo- Libba, Williams, McLean, Wallis, Keathy.

I think it’s time JJ has a spell in the reserves. Enoughs enough. Make him watch what Saad does to create play instead of playing playstation in the hub.

English needs a rest. He’s irrelevant if he’s going to try take one handed screamers.

Time to get games into Lewy Young, Lachie Young, Cavarra, Fergus Greene, Jordy Sweet.

Did Dixon dominate, I dont think so. He kicked 2 goals and one was from a s**t free kick. In saying that if Bruce kicks 2 we nearly win the game. Turn overs hurt us but so did kicking 2 goals 6 in the last quarter. Disappointing to lose especially because we were on top for 3 quarters. Port supporters are feral and booing Wallis for going off with the blood rule just sums them up. It is clear we need another tall in the forward line but who?

The bitter reactions from some are over the top.

It was a game we could have won so I get the frustration with players who cost us at crucial moments, but it’s not like we got flogged by a bottom four side.

JJ, English, Wood etc had moments they’d rather forget but they don’t deserve the abuse (or demands they disappear long term from the lineup).

Seriously though. We all have to agree we appreciate the effort the boys shown tonight. Add naughton and Hunter and we are a top 4 side.
With the exception of JJ, overusing by hand, and some pretty harsh umpiring decisions going against us, it wasn't too disheartening really. Our forward efficiency is shocking right now, but hopefully will improve with the return of Naughton and Dale. Port are a top side at the moment, and we dominated through the middle and with inside 50s. Good signs despite the loss

We lost by a couple of goals to the side that’s on the top of the ladder mate. this season is completely open this year. You can’t tell me Naughton and Hunter wouldn’t have made a difference?

Didn’t say they wouldn’t make a difference, said they wouldn’t make us a top 4 side. We have so many issues that are glaringly obvious and I don’t see hunter and naughton fixing those issues to the extent that we’d jump to that much of a better team.

On form in my opinion we are a 8th-14th with them 2 we are probably 6th(being generous)-10th side

Ruck is still a massive issue and the lack of a ruck/forward is glaringly obvious and hurting us - naughton and Bruce aren’t it

Our forward entries are shocking - hunter does not fix that he helps with transition and a calm head but not forward entries

Our forward line is a mess - naughton helps straighten us up but is yet to build any chemistry with Bruce and we still can’t work out the right mix of small-medium size forwards

Backline has been alright most weeks but we have a very attacking backline that can cough up goals and especially easy 1v1 goals and we lack a lock down defender or mr fix it type (eg Morris)

The bitter reactions from some are over the top.

It was a game we could have won so I get the frustration with players who cost us at crucial moments, but it’s not like we got flogged by a bottom four side.

JJ, English, Wood etc had moments they’d rather forget but they don’t deserve the abuse (or demands they disappear long term from the lineup).
JJ's been getting away with it for years. Masquerading as a great player. He was good in '16 but I can't stand him anymore.

I am sick of the bullshit from people wanting potentially the best contested mark in the Comp back in defence. All the nuffies that want him in defence, you really have no footy logic of the importance of a vocal point. Bruce isn’t up to the standard, Naughton will help Bruce get off the leach. Bevo’s plan playing 1 tall forward is a joke. Should of played Trengrove tonight in ruck and had English full forward.

watch the difference when Naughton is back in the side. No more nonsense of Aaron playing in defence when we are crying out for a forward just to compete and take a mark or 2 and bring the ball to ground.

So other than that, you see Naughton as our CHB?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We lost by a couple of goals to the side that’s on the top of the ladder mate. this season is completely open this year. You can’t tell me Naughton and Hunter wouldn’t have made a difference?
Aaron Naughton:

Round 1: 2 x Disposals, 6 x AFL Fantasy points, 32 x Metres Gained.
Round 2: 10 x Disposals, 43 x AFL Fantasy Points, 137 x Metres Gained.
Round 3: 9 x Disposals, 39 x AFL Fantasy Points, 67 x Metres Gained.
Round 4: 4 x Disposals, 28 x AFL Fantasy Points, 45 x Metres Gained.

2 x Goals, 25 x Disposals, 10 x Marks, = Difference Maker

Should have buried them in the first half. Could very well have done so, we were dominating the ball. But my god our forward entries give our forwards absolutely no hope in hell of getting anything going. Yeah the form of the individual forwards can be questioned too, but we're making life so difficult for them.

What makes it all so frustrating is that last season we did flip the switch and deliver it more effectively. We rolled teams playing with some actual purpose going forward. Naughton is the X-Factor that can mark those s**t entries, but we've been playing like he's still out there. And we shouldn't even be blasting the ball in like that with him in anyway.

The Bont/Macrae/Dunks/Libba/Smith midfield crew is one of the best. They were certainly winning enough of the ball. The defenders are reliable and cohesive - poor one on one but they've for the most part played great help defense. But for how good those two parts of the ground are, it all comes undone when a) we can't kick the goals and b) turn it over going forward and let it rocket out the back for a turnover goal. We should have buried them in the first half. We didn't and then when momentum swung their way they did to us what we failed to do to them.

At least we for once had a loss that didn't involve us throwing in the towel. We hung with the top team on their home deck with a feral crowd influencing the umps. From that perspective? Not a bad loss. But we dominated them in the first half with absolutely nothing to show for it and easily could have won that game. So, so frustrating to watch. Everything encompassing our forward line is a certified schmozzle. Except for Mitch. He's an absolute champ. Felt like he had a hand in every goal we did kick.

I was puzzled that Bont went forward in the 3rd quarter when Port got that run on.

OK he is a target but the ball never went forward.
We missed his skill and smarts around the ball.

Thoughts?

KM

Didn’t say they wouldn’t make a difference, said they wouldn’t make us a top 4 side. We have so many issues that are glaringly obvious and I don’t see hunter and naughton fixing those issues to the extent that we’d jump to that much of a better team.

On form in my opinion we are a 8th-14th with them 2 we are probably 6th(being generous)-10th side

Ruck is still a massive issue and the lack of a ruck/forward is glaringly obvious and hurting us - naughton and Bruce aren’t it

Our forward entries are shocking - hunter does not fix that he helps with transition and a calm head but not forward entries

Our forward line is a mess - naughton helps straighten us up but is yet to build any chemistry with Bruce and we still can’t work out the right mix of small-medium size forwards

Backline has been alright most weeks but we have a very attacking backline that can cough up goals and especially easy 1v1 goals and we lack a lock down defender or mr fix it type (eg Morris)
We lack an older veteran presence on the field. Like a Matty Boyd, Murphy or a Picken. We only have one experienced player in his 30s and that’s woody.

Aaron Naughton:

Round 1: 2 x Disposals, 6 x AFL Fantasy points, 32 x Metres Gained.
Round 2: 10 x Disposals, 43 x AFL Fantasy Points, 137 x Metres Gained.
Round 3: 9 x Disposals, 39 x AFL Fantasy Points, 67 x Metres Gained.
Round 4: 4 x Disposals, 28 x AFL Fantasy Points, 45 x Metres Gained.

2 x Goals, 25 x Disposals, 10 x Marks, = Difference Maker

Coming back from injury so obviously he wasn't match fit.

Rd 4 he played one quarter.

Rather judge him on 2019 number 1 contested mark in the comp.

Charlie Dixon plays as the sole tall for port. He doesn't turn his back on the high ball coming in.

All the excuses for Bruce.

Basically he is out of form, and is barely getting near it. I think he is being coached to halve contests rather than winning them. Charlie dixon is out to win them. Big difference.

I actually wrote “not making excuses” in the post you quoted. Can you read?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back