Game Day Port vs Someone we used to know

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So here we are, Sir Douglas Nicholls round, sitting idly in front of our devices waiting to watch a team we have supported for many days, months, years or decades play a team that could be considered a successful spawn of our own making.

Clearly Hawthorn would be nothing without the coach we gave them, the superstar forward we gave them, and the other two indigenous players we gave them.

Now they all get to come home and kick our ass. Or do they?

Hawthorn are a strange Frankenstein of a team, they are the Canberra of the AFL, its very hard to find anyone who was born in Canberra, in the same way its very difficult to find anyone that was drafted by Hawthorn who actually plays for them.

However, on this occasion Hawthorn have 8 players with less than 50 games, and we have 5.
Both sides have 4 players with 50-99 games.
We have one more player in the 100-149 game sweet spot.
And we have 9 players with 150+ games, and they have 7.

I had the perception that they were the older side, but no, on average they are 10 months younger than us and have played 18 games less than us.

We welcome back Mr Bonner to replace the recalcitrant Mr Houston.
Motlop has been named on the wing to replace Duursma.
Westhoff has been named at CHF (yeh right) kind of replacing Mr Ladhams.
Its good to see the Brad back replacing Mr Farrell, even though I have this nagging doubt as to whether Brad should keep playing.

Its seems as if Ken is giving all the senior players a run. Perhaps its seniors week?

So who will come back to our best 22 for the f... , the f... , your know, the stuff that we used to play after the minor round.
I dare not say the word in case we find some new and interesting way to mess things up.

Duursma, Rozee, Burton and Marshall when fit, fresh and in form could all arguably be in that best 22, so there is pressure on spots.
You may think I left two off this list accidently, yeh nah.

Apparently Hawthorn have a lot of injuries, but they seem to have no more best 22 players out then we do.
Will GoldsKneeSeason
Ricky HendersonKnee2 weeks
Harry JonesKnee4-6 weeks
Jaeger O'MearaHand1-2 weeks
James SicilyKneeSeason
Isaac SmithShoulderTBC

The named side:

FBR BonnerT ClureyT McKenzie
FFJ ImpeyT O'BrienS Burgoyne
HBH HartlettT JonasD B-Jones
HFJ PattonL BreustC Wingard
CS MotlopO WinesK Amon
CC JiathD HoweJ Scrimshaw
HFS P-PepperJ WesthoffB Ebert
HBW DayS FrostB Stratton
FFZ ButtersC DixonR Gray
FBB HardwickM HartleyC Glass
FolS LycettT RockliffT Boak
FolB McEvoyJ WorpelT Mitchell

Interchange:
Mayes, Lienert, Georgiades, Woodcock
Cousins, Scully, Hanrahan, Shiels

Emergencies:
Drew, Farrell, Sutcliffe, Bergman
Nash, Morrison, Minchington, Lewis

Recent history (thanks to footywire)

Recent Matches Between Port Adelaide and Hawthorn
DateVenueHome v Away TeamsResultHigh DisposalsHigh Goals
Round 10, 25 May 2019UTAS StadiumHawthorn defeats Port Adelaide80-49R. Henderson 37J. Gunston 6
Round 11, 2 Jun 2018UTAS StadiumHawthorn defeats Port Adelaide64-61T. Mitchell 28R. Gray 4
Round 11, 1 Jun 2017Adelaide OvalPort Adelaide defeats Hawthorn98-47B. Ebert 34C. Dixon 4
Round 16, 7 Jul 2016Adelaide OvalPort Adelaide defeated by Hawthorn79-101L. Hodge 29
R. Gray 29
C. Rioli 3
J. Gunston 3
C. Wingard 3
Round 21, 21 Aug 2015Marvel StadiumHawthorn defeated by Port Adelaide86-108R. Gray 34
S. Gray 34
C. Wingard 4

As much as I know it will come back to bite me, here are Hawthorn's ranking for 2020:

1598049936709.png

And here is ours...

1598050198471.png

So what will happen, will we go from tiger killer to cat bitch back to hawk slayer?
We should win, but as Macca19 eloquently put it, we all how how this one ends, i.e. Wingard kicking a goal after the siren to win the game.

Its either Port by 10 goals, Hawthorn by 3 points, or Hawthorn by 6 goals.

It should be a balmy 13 degrees at kickoff (feels like 5) with winds from the SW at about 37 km/h.
Most sides seem to favour kicking to the South end first, will someone Cotchin this one up?

I'm expecting a huge margin at quarter time, I'm just not sure which way.

Never written a preview before, and with the shitty week its been going from the Geelong game to Ladhams loungeroom I'm not sure why I'm even doing this, but I'll of course watch the game and hope for dominant Port play. I don't think I'm too concerned with the final score, I'm more interested in how we play this game.

Will the intensity be back, or will our players be in holiday (we've got 5 easy games now) mode.
By the end of the day, we will know.

Here is some footage of what is arguably the worlds most dangerous downhill skiiing.
Pfft, you think that is downhill skiing, wait until 4:00pm today...

Last edited:

You would think we could get some percentage back if we were any good at all but any win would do.

Woodcock to kick 3 plus.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bash 'em and smash 'em Ports, then move on quickly so we don't have to hear about Chad f@%king Wingard again until at least next year, fmd...

As if we need a game against Hawthorn to talk about Wingard lol - any discussion of the coach can come back to Chad fairly quickly or indeed reminiscing about most memorable moments the club has had in the last 15 years normally involve him too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back