Autopsy Round 16, 2020: St.Kilda v Hawthorn *GEARY 200TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

I think gringo has a point though. Whilst coffield and long were good the overall defencive of the side is a massive issue.

Sides are scoring far to easily against us.

Ratts has worked wonders for the offence this year but the defence is a shambles.
Was just disagreeing with what he said about no individuals back there winning their position, when between them, Coff and Long had 39 disposals, 17 marks and 14 intercepts and were two of our best.

They got 4 goals from stoppages in the first quarter. That is all on the midfield. They got 5 of the 9 from stoppages.

That's true but the defenders left the whole forward line open on top of it. There were obvious holes everywhere. They weren't good enough to take us out but we gave them every opportunity.

Was just disagreeing with what he said about no individuals back there winning their position, when between them, Coff and Long had 39 disposals, 17 marks and 14 intercepts and were two of our best.

I never said no-one won their position. I said we were disorganised in the back half. You have the wrong person. Long and Coffield were good.

Not because of our defence though. They were just not very good. A decent side would have smashed us today. Mid settled after the first 15 minute onslaught.

Not sure what's happened with our defence. A month ago with Carlisle, Howard and Wilkie for the talls and Coffield, Clark, Paton, Long for the smalls and Geary to call on for a special project opponent everything looked great down back. Only Jake is missing from that mix but the dynamic seems to have changed somehow.

I rather do what we did with Marshall/Ryder today against them, it's working.
Yeah 3 goals between them today

Well an ugly win is better than an ugly loss, I suppose.

When is Dunstan back? We need him in the middle without Gresh or Hanners.

Last edited:
I don't know about finals. Still need another win. I doubt we beat Eagles or Giants with our current form. No defence and no ability to score. Our defence was probably the worst I've seen for 5 years. No system, no individual winers, no pressure and holes all over the place. I hope we bring back Carlisle, he makes a difference.

Not sure we absolutely will need another win to make the 8 but I think WCE will be gettable. We are the last in a brutal run for them. Would not be surprised if they rest quite a few in our game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We could well have a finals position now , however it is time to put in our best 22 , with Carlisle , Memebery and King to come back in with Dunstan or Hannebery to come back in we will only get better.
Hill finding touch will be a massive positive going forward.

Not sure what's happened with our defence. A month ago with Carlisle, Howard and Wilkie for the talls and Coffield, Clark, Paton, Long for the smalls and Geary to call on for a special project opponent everything looked great down back. Only Jake is missing from that mix but the dynamic seems to have changed somehow.
Geary is back in defence.

Someone posted earlier his back was sore

And, if we think it through, this game was at Metricon ... 3hr bus trip probably wouldn't have done him any good.

I wonder whether he'd have played, were this game at the Gabba.

Makes a lot of sense to show some caution, and hopefully giving King and Membrey the extra few days will set them up for two big games coming up as well.

I think gringo has a point though. Whilst coffield and long were good the overall defencive of the side is a massive issue.

Sides are scoring far to easily against us.

Ratts has worked wonders for the offence this year but the defence is a shambles.

Yeah the easy goals/shots in defence has accelerated in the past half dozen matches.

Howard... I actually like him more with ball in hand than as a defender!! And that's not so much a good thing. He's all out at sea reading the play coming in, the only times he goes for it he wipes out about three of our own guys.

Again and again, we defend the high ball with too many, they all go to ground or no one there for the crumbs.

A lot of confusion back there at the moment.

We're a work in progress.

As you would expect from one of the very youngest teams.

Especially as it's hard to work on your game plan with very short breaks and not able to train as a whole team.

We’ve learnt to slow it down at least
Almost to a dead stop at times.🤣

Agree. Our defence was a weapon 5 weeks ago. Still cannot understand how Carlisle is out of this team. Yes he does some batsh#t crazy things but he also anchors a sh#tload of players around him.

One player who cops heaps is lonie but I think he vital. At least he tries to pressure. He got us going early with things that won’t go in the stats. Even in the last quarter he did a tap to Marshall that won’t get in the stats. He has enough faults to probably never be a certainty but I think he is a best 22 player. Also Sinclair must have had about 4 assists in the second half today.
Lonie taking the set shot, using his full 30 seconds sine tad of running into the goal is another underrated moment of just reading the situation well.

Sinclair was immense today. We wouldn't have won without his composure and smarts.

And, if we think it through, this game was at Metricon ... 3hr bus trip probably wouldn't have done him any good.

I wonder whether he'd have played, were this game at the Gabba.

Makes a lot of sense to show some caution, and hopefully giving King and Membrey the extra few days will set them up for two big games coming up as well.
Maybe he wasn't omitted 2 games ago and we just didn't want to advertise his bad back

I say the penny has dropped for Coffield with three of his last four scoring 100 supercoach and he's still just 20! Won't see his ceiling till 2022 and 50+ games in so exciting times for him and us. It's really neat how he is impacting forward thrusts from the opposition in the same manner as a very good 100+ game KPD.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back