Autopsy Rd 17 Blues lose to the bottom side after awful first half

Who played well in Round 17 vs the Crows?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We beat the Cats though yeah?

Just like Swans and Essendon, just like coming from behind against the Dockers

I have already highlighted the concern in point swings, it's not mental weakness, it's gameplan and tactics, it's a coaching issue

Of course there's some mental weakness aspect to it as well. You don't think it starts to play on their minds when the opposition start to get a run on? There are s**t teams doing it to us, not just the top ones.

Surprised Kennedy was dropped, thought he was playing well in the ones

The difference between his good football and bad football is to big and when he has a shocker he becomes useless. But he does seem to be part of the group who get one chance and one chance only, while there are others who dont get dropped at all. He would have been better at the Gov role than Gov these last 2 rounds (tbf, my grandma would be more value).

I get why people love the Gibbs chair off. But at the end of the day we are supposed to be a professional football club that is judged by wins and losses.

We seem far more interested in the feel good stories. From the Gibbs situation to the Eddie Betts return.

Plus clubs like GWS and Essendope both coached by C grade coaches drop senior players including a captain. Whereas we accept 0 disposals for a half from our senior players. Good standards.

We are not ruthless in anyway and it's just a joke

Last edited:
My first post for the the year but I am not quite on totally board with this. Plus I have a few other comments to make.

Agree with the first five - Willo (understandably) seems to show concern about being injured (long term) again
What about Harry? - he is our next Josh Kennedy and is more mobile to boot - just needs good one-on-one service. Am a real big fan - he will be a CFC champion and probably better for having Charlie Curnow in the team
Ed Curnow - say no more - yes an athlete but he bleeds blue through and through - a role model (along with Sam Walsh) for what others should be aspiring to
Would also add TDK as a positive. Will be around for a long time and offer some of the stuff we have seen from Nic Nat over the years
Cunningham - has shown that he needs more time in the midfield until we know what he can bring to the table
Fisher - role as a small forward/midfielder and will be effective in a functioning forward line
Paddy - hard to gauge but seems to be lacking hugely in confidence - needs to be challenged to succeed and to feed off that success. Not a short term developer but someone I can see being elite at his very best - wasn't No 3 draft pick for no reason
LOB - has elite skills but as a role player - looks like a winger if he can develop his defensive skills
SPS - have always maintained he is played out of position - also has elite skills and probably best utilised as an outside midfielder who can lower his eyes
Kennedy - there for grunt/pressure despite his lack of speed but sufficiently versatile to spent time forward

Looking forward to seeing guys like Matty Cotts, Sam Philp and Brody Kemp get (more) time on-field. Liam has stepped away this year for personal reasons but there is no reason to believe he cannot add to our stocks in 2021. Also we didn't recruit Josh Honey and Sam Ramsey for no reason. Have high hopes as guys who complete the jigsaw puzzle.

Despite the hype, I have been at times disappointed in Jack Martin who has seemed to panic in certain situations. Happy to give it another year to develop the cohesion/trust in the game plan/his team mates. Another who had elite talent that needs to be better utilised.
Paddy Cripps falls into the same boat for me this season. Attitude/desire to succeed first class. While he has had a gutful of losing, it is time to start allowing (and trusting) others to take up the slack. Look at Richmond - it is not all about Dusty or Cotch anymore (and there arrived a time when it was not just about Jack or Alex either - forwards and defenders take note).

Matt Owies unlucky to be omitted this week but has demonstrated some good forward craft. Well worth keeping if numbers allow.
I am also an admitted Caleb Marchbank fan. Make no mistake, his best is high quality though he is very much a confidence player.
Finally, Mitch McG remains an enigma for me. If he is to be part of the set-up, I want him to apply forward pressure as a non-negotiable. If this is too hard ....

I am ready for the club to move on some of the older guys to enable development of their replacements whatever that looks like. Probably won't be all of the following, but Simmo, Murph, Levi and Eddie will all be in the mix as much as we have loved having them around. Sad that Kruez will be moving on but plenty can take a leaf out of his passion for the club. Took time for him to win me over, but a club champion in every sense. If there were 22 like Matty K on the park each week ...

While supporters seems to bemoan a lack of leadership, I am inclined to think that recent drafts have been targeted at identifying future leaders. Apart from the obvious (including Sam Walsh), Setters will be one of those while I believe there are others still sitting in the wings. Suggests to me our best is still 2-3 years away.

Finally, it was a classy send off for Bryce today. Well done Murph and Simmo. Reflects well on your characters as people first and footballers second.
Also well done Gibba - your class was always clear for all to see. Would have had more success at another club, but that is not the only measurement of a brilliant career.
Like Kreuz, another who always showed loyalty to the club (personal circumstances aside at the end).
You should post more often, a very thoughtful, considered piece.

My first post for the the year but I am not quite on totally board with this. Plus I have a few other comments to make.

Agree with the first five - Willo (understandably) seems to show concern about being injured (long term) again
What about Harry? - he is our next Josh Kennedy and is more mobile to boot - just needs good one-on-one service. Am a real big fan - he will be a CFC champion and probably better for having Charlie Curnow in the team
Ed Curnow - say no more - yes an athlete but he bleeds blue through and through - a role model (along with Sam Walsh) for what others should be aspiring to
Would also add TDK as a positive. Will be around for a long time and offer some of the stuff we have seen from Nic Nat over the years
Cunningham - has shown that he needs more time in the midfield until we know what he can bring to the table
Fisher - role as a small forward/midfielder and will be effective in a functioning forward line
Paddy - hard to gauge but seems to be lacking hugely in confidence - needs to be challenged to succeed and to feed off that success. Not a short term developer but someone I can see being elite at his very best - wasn't No 3 draft pick for no reason
LOB - has elite skills but as a role player - looks like a winger if he can develop his defensive skills
SPS - have always maintained he is played out of position - also has elite skills and probably best utilised as an outside midfielder who can lower his eyes
Kennedy - there for grunt/pressure despite his lack of speed but sufficiently versatile to spent time forward

Looking forward to seeing guys like Matty Cotts, Sam Philp and Brody Kemp get (more) time on-field. Liam has stepped away this year for personal reasons but there is no reason to believe he cannot add to our stocks in 2021. Also we didn't recruit Josh Honey and Sam Ramsey for no reason. Have high hopes as guys who complete the jigsaw puzzle.

Despite the hype, I have been at times disappointed in Jack Martin who has seemed to panic in certain situations. Happy to give it another year to develop the cohesion/trust in the game plan/his team mates. Another who had elite talent that needs to be better utilised.
Paddy Cripps falls into the same boat for me this season. Attitude/desire to succeed first class. While he has had a gutful of losing, it is time to start allowing (and trusting) others to take up the slack. Look at Richmond - it is not all about Dusty or Cotch anymore (and there arrived a time when it was not just about Jack or Alex either - forwards and defenders take note).

Matt Owies unlucky to be omitted this week but has demonstrated some good forward craft. Well worth keeping if numbers allow.
I am also an admitted Caleb Marchbank fan. Make no mistake, his best is high quality though he is very much a confidence player.
Finally, Mitch McG remains an enigma for me. If he is to be part of the set-up, I want him to apply forward pressure as a non-negotiable. If this is too hard ....

I am ready for the club to move on some of the older guys to enable development of their replacements whatever that looks like. Probably won't be all of the following, but Simmo, Murph, Levi and Eddie will all be in the mix as much as we have loved having them around. Sad that Kruez will be moving on but plenty can take a leaf out of his passion for the club. Took time for him to win me over, but a club champion in every sense. If there were 22 like Matty K on the park each week ...

While supporters seems to bemoan a lack of leadership, I am inclined to think that recent drafts have been targeted at identifying future leaders. Apart from the obvious (including Sam Walsh), Setters will be one of those while I believe there are others still sitting in the wings. Suggests to me our best is still 2-3 years away.

Finally, it was a classy send off for Bryce today. Well done Murph and Simmo. Reflects well on your characters as people first and footballers second.
Also well done Gibba - your class was always clear for all to see. Would have had more success at another club, but that is not the only measurement of a brilliant career.
Like Kreuz, another who always showed loyalty to the club (personal circumstances aside at the end).

I didnt include any senior players (Ed, Jones, Murphy etc) as they wont be the ones to take us further, we need the next group to improve.

McKay was a head scratcher for me and i nearly included him. But for me, he clearly wasnt worse (had a good year last year) but i dont think he has improved - hasnt been taking as many marks and needs to kick more goals - its not a fail but need a but more out of him, would probably help having better delivery etc.

The likes of cuningham and fisher are the ones who could go to another level, fisher was injured a lot of the year and cuners was played out of position. But neither went the next step bar a game or quarter here or there. SPS is another played out of position and hopefully they change it net year - i think all of SPS/Cuningham/Fisher can play rotating HFF/W/Mid role - 2 on the field, one on the bench each game.

TDK i didnt include. While he was impressive in what he did (little moments) he played 4 or 5 games and didnt take the enxt step. He showed signs, which is what you want from a young player, same as other first or 2nd year players (i included Stocker as we traded up for this guy and he hasnt shown much, if anything at all and didnt sound like he was close to getting a game before he went home). These guys will have pressure on them in a couple of years to hopefully follow the likes of fisher, cuningham, LOB, SPS etc in taking another step forward.

I didnt include any senior players (Ed, Jones, Murphy etc) as they wont be the ones to take us further, we need the next group to improve.

McKay was a head scratcher for me and i nearly included him. But for me, he clearly wasnt worse (had a good year last year) but i dont think he has improved - hasnt been taking as many marks and needs to kick more goals - its not a fail but need a but more out of him, would probably help having better delivery etc.

The likes of cuningham and fisher are the ones who could go to another level, fisher was injured a lot of the year and cuners was played out of position. But neither went the next step bar a game or quarter here or there. SPS is another played out of position and hopefully they change it net year - i think all of SPS/Cuningham/Fisher can play rotating HFF/W/Mid role - 2 on the field, one on the bench each game.
I think McKay is about where he was last year also. I'm not sure his engine is always running hot, sometimes he looks a bit disinterested and soft in the contest, then 10 minutes later he'll hit the contest and split the pack. It's frustrating because you see when he really wants it how good a strong a contested mark he is, then shortly after he'll look nothing like it. With Charlie back these quiet moments probably won't be as noticeable, which will help.

I think the Cuningham up forward experiment needs to be conclusively ended. He's really not performing forward and looks worlds better as soon as he's up field. Keep him there. Fisher looks alright as a small forward but I don't think for 100% of his game. He'd be great to sort of 50/50 split on ball and forward. We could use his insane physical and mental quickness up field.

I think McKay is about where he was last year also. I'm not sure his engine is always running hot, sometimes he looks a bit disinterested and soft in the contest, then 10 minutes later he'll hit the contest and split the pack. It's frustrating because you see when he really wants it how good a strong a contested mark he is, then shortly after he'll look nothing like it. With Charlie back these quiet moments probably won't be as noticeable, which will help.

I think the Cuningham up forward experiment needs to be conclusively ended. He's really not performing forward and looks worlds better as soon as he's up field. Keep him there. Fisher looks alright as a small forward but I don't think for 100% of his game. He'd be great to sort of 50/50 split on ball and forward. We could use his insane physical and mental quickness up field.

I could just imagine as a forward getting frustrated. Frustrated there are 5 blokes in your way, frustrated we kick it on top of his head or to the advantage of his opponent, frustrated the only time he can take a mark is on the boundary. I agree sometimes he seems to go 50% and others time 150%. This is the area he needs to work on (along with alot of others) - the consistency between games and just as important, during games.

We need cripps to go back to winning the ball and stop complaining about free kicks etc. He has been putrid this year (for his standards)
But you must admit the umpires failed to protect him. He got held more times than the Vic Market covid protesters by the police. Lost count how many times they threw the ball also.

I get why people love the Gibbs chair off. But at the end of the day we are supposed to be a professional football club that is judged by wins and losses.
If people are okay with this internally we will be going nowhere until they're all gone. Terrible look imo. If you don't show up for a half of football you lose your right to be celebrate an opponent let alone as much as we did. I was disgusted to see it. And am hoping the club responds saying they weren't happy with it.

Oh wait we tweeted about it saying thanks to an opponent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But you must admit the umpires failed to protect him. He got held more times than the Vic Market covid protesters by the police. Lost count how many times they threw the ball also.

He gets his fair share as well - he does a fair bit of holding, you have to when you play that type of game. Just get on with it and play the football, you'll get rewarded. One thing i know, complaining the whole time doesnt help you get a free kick.

Just made up bullshit

No I don't think so. Did you see Teague's press conference? He was not impressed by it. That was very clear.

I loved Gibbs. But if I was in a senior position at Carlton I would be tearing up any contract Murphy and Simpson have for 2021. That was putting their friendship with a player over the club. You don't do that after a loss. Particularly after losing to the bottom team to end your finals hunt.

Go do that at Clarko's Hawks or Leigh Matthews Brisbane. Matthews threw players across the locker room for a lot less.

I could just imagine as a forward getting frustrated. Frustrated there are 5 blokes in your way, frustrated we kick it on top of his head or to the advantage of his opponent, frustrated the only time he can take a mark is on the boundary. I agree sometimes he seems to go 50% and others time 150%. This is the area he needs to work on (along with alot of others) - the consistency between games and just as important, during games.
Yeah that's true. Our inside 50 entries are disgusting, we just bomb it long so god damn often that as a fwd you'd get pretty deflated. Having blind kicks come in and be picked off every time would drive you mad.

Sometimes he does run cool sometimes he runs hot, it'd be great to see how much of it coincides when we're lowering our eyes and hitting targets vs when we just sit it on his head 1v3. Having said that there's a fair few 1v1s where he doesn't go as hard as he could so it's not a complete out for him, but might explain at least some of it.

you wanna poke others

Sorry but this is really hypocritical. You have targeted multiple people in this thread you disagree with. Not sure if that is just your disappointment at the loss, or your posting style. But to pot others for what you are clearly doing lacks self awareness.

Though TBH I agree with your critique of most of them and it is entertaining. So if you don't mind being a hypocrite carry on :)

I loved Gibbs. But if I was in a senior position at Carlton I would be tearing up any contract Murphy and Simpson have for 2021. That was putting their friendship with a player over the club. You don't do that after a loss. Particularly after losing to the bottom team to end your finals hunt.
The club would have been in on it from the get go so we can't punish the two players. The club itself needs to take a good hard look at itself if they think that was okay to agree to. We might win the nice guys 7th-13th participation ribbon with that attitude, but premierships no way. Hope a young leader like Walsh or Cripps felt sick seeing it otherwise it's a new crop of nice guys who win nothing coming up.

I was at the game, there was at least 3 marking contests that the defender had him wrapped up and no free was paid. Even my Poppa, a long time Crows fan, thought he was being hard done by.

The club would have been in on it from the get go so we can't punish the two players.

The Club did not have any idea. It was discussed between Gibbs, Murphy and Simmo - not shared with anyone at the Club.

Very clear from his press conference Teague didn't know. A very good friend of mine is part of whatever the group of top 20 business sponsors is called. He was told very clearly from Liddle himself last night the Club was not aware.

The Club did not have any idea. It was discussed between Gibbs, Murphy and Simmo - not shared with anyone at the Club.

Very clear from his press conference Teague didn't know. A very good friend of mine is part of whatever the group of top 20 business sponsors is called. He was told very clearly from Liddle himself last night the Club was not aware.
Oh wow. Didn't hear Teague's press conference.

Somewhat relieved to hear we might be on the right track if he was pissed off by it.

Of course there's some mental weakness aspect to it as well. You don't think it starts to play on their minds when the opposition start to get a run on? There are sh*t teams doing it to us, not just the top ones.

Has nothing to do with mentality, it is coaching and structure

Could players be frustrated with aspects of the gameplan? Absolutely

But you can't have mental weakness one weak and then mental strength the following after winning, coming from behind after being 7 goals down

In fact that suggests the side believes that it can beat anyone on a given day

This starts with Teague

I'll give a pass to the Gibbs chair off as something human in these strange times. Lots of players are spending more and more time together this year! You have Gablett being helped at quarantine training by Jarryd Roughead (an opposition coach) and other players. In a normal year a big no no for mine, regardless of his status at our club (which never met the full highs he could've delivered). Maybe a small gesture from LOB giving him his guernsey would've been a nice token instead.

Back