Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

We had some shocking passengers out there. Ainsworth, Petrucelle, and to a lesser extent Ah Chee horrendous. Nelson is a plodder. We needed more in defence. Why didn’t Schofield play instead of Ainsworth or Petro who were completely useless.

Huge number of passengers. Seems to be a common theme in big games we lose.

Not picking Schofield was a horror decision.
Pretty disappointed in Nelson's game. Just jogged around marking space and hoping the ball didn't come near.

Not sure if it is our system or the players but way too many of the second and third tier guys who add nothing. At least crack in and stick a tackle FFS.

With us and freo finishing middle 6 this season It'll be nice next year to get a bottom 6 team twice that isn't freo for once!
Assuming a normal fixture.
Who knows at this point.

Lord our tackling attempts were trash tonight.
A fit and firing Yeo is a big need next year. (and take out any of Ah Chee, Petch or Ainsworth)

May I post here? Umps did cost you. I whinge when they cost us, and it wasn't tonight. We play that game 10 times you win it 7 or 8 times.

Had to quote for truth: really only one bloke (both good players too) who had a mare, and it was basically one shocking quarter.

Kelly was fine, he actually created goals in the first half when you were stagnant until we put bodies on him (Greenwood plus whoever, it was Adams sometimes): that opened up the others for your second quarter run. We don't do that often so clearly Bucks respects the hell out of Kelly.

You have a top 2 defence (I think ours it a shade better but thats probably bias) , deeper rucks (and Nic Nat on one leg for a half is better than Gawn let alone Grundy), better midfield and better forwards than us. You missed top 4 because of a weird season.

I'm so sick of this BS from Collingwood and their supporters. Cliches tell me that you're the worst supporters and team in the league. But since 2017 you guys have been noticeably classy AF, from the coach down. I dislike having to rethink things I 'know'. Good luck with the rest of the year.

May I post here? Umps did cost you. I whinge when they cost us, and it wasn't tonight. We play that game 10 times you win it 7 or 8 times.

Had to quote for truth: really only one bloke (both good players too) who had a mare, and it was basically one shocking quarter.

Kelly was fine, he actually created goals in the first half when you were stagnant until we put bodies on him (Greenwood plus whoever, it was Adams sometimes): that opened up the others for your second quarter run. We don't do that often so clearly Bucks respects the hell out of Kelly.

You have a top 2 defence (I think ours it a shade better but thats probably bias) , deeper rucks (and Nic Nat on one leg for a half is better than Gawn let alone Grundy), better midfield and better forwards than us. You missed top 4 because of a weird season.
Echoing this, wasn’t sure whether to post or not given the nature of the loss but I definitely want to say that you will be a fixture deep in finals for a while yet. Happy to take the umpiring benefit when it arises but have to say I think the noise of affirmation of a strong and vocal home crowd probably made it seem worse than it was. All the same, probably a couple of calls you could’ve got.

Apologies for the intrusion once again, but all the best for next season. I think you have the cattle to go back to the well.

Edit: and thank you to those of you being gracious in defeat! Both on here and at the game, a number of Eagles acknowledged us on the way out and more importantly, we didn’t cop any vitriol as opposition supporters after the game. Respect

Echoing this, wasn’t sure whether to post or not given the nature of the loss but I definitely want to say that you will be a fixture deep in finals for a while yet. Happy to take the umpiring benefit when it arises but have to say I think the noise of affirmation of a strong and vocal home crowd probably made it seem worse than it was. All the same, probably a couple of calls you could’ve got.

Apologies for the intrusion once again, but all the best for next season. I think you have the cattle to go back to the well.

Edit: and thank you to those of you being gracious in defeat! Both on here and at the game, a number of Eagles acknowledged us on the way out and more importantly, we didn’t cop any vitriol as opposition supporters after the game. Respect
No need to apologise for being a decent human mate. Good luck for the rest of the finals, hope you knock the Cats off but after that I'm on the Brissy bandwagon.;)

If we could improve our bottom 3 or 4 players we’d piss this competition. To often we have have players making up the numbers that offer nothing yet most of the time we either get the win or just miss out. It was actually surprising we only lost by 1 point given Shuey and Kelly having poor games on top of Petch, Ainsworth and Ah Chee.

Absolutely this. 3 AA players in forward, mid and backline, one in the ruck and Shuey who's the equivalent of one on top of those. Our depth outside talls is poor and our bottom few players always struggle to carry their weight.

Need to get in some solid, 21-24 age types with development left in them but the ability to perform now, either from fringes of other clubs with more mid/fwd depth (Richmond etc) or players who've chopped up at state level

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gotta say.. after the initial disappointment immediately following the game, a few hours later and it really is an empty feeling where I couldn’t really give much of a s**t. Could be the amount of beers deep.. and the heartache will likely come back when I see another team holding the cup. But just feels like I subconsciously checked out of this season long before this result. Clearly it would have been better to win the lot but it doesn’t feel as heartbreaking as other years and I’m not sure the euphoria would have been the same either. Both thanks to 2018 being physically unbeatable.. and the covid cup tempering expectations for the entire competition. Just didn’t feel right all year. Cricket and EPL season now!

Drop Petruccelle from the team.
Delist Petruccelle from the squad.
Delete Petruccelle from West Coast Eagles history.
Deport Petruccelle back to Victoria.

I rarely harbour intense disgust at players: he made my list today. Nothing personal, but you suck as an AFL player. You're a nice guy, can run fast: join the athletics team and run the 400. Don't set foot on an AFL ground for us again.

Ainsworth even showed more than he did. Ah Chee in all his awfulness did more.

So back home and calming down with a glass of wine and Cheezels.

Guys - lift your heads, the board is better than the moaning crap that has filled most of the previous posts.

We rolled the dice at selection table and played 3 players who had been out for more than a couple of weeks. None of Shuey, Redden and Cripps were up to the speed of the normal AFL game let alone a final and Collingwood made us pay. I had hoped that Gaff, Sheed and Kelly would rise with the other 2 mids but alas it was only Gaff that was effective. To be fair to Tim, he was tagged most of the night.

Barrass did very well against the 7 foot Texan Turd in the 2018 GF and since then he has not been up to the task in 2 quarters.

We won on many lines. Half our forward line was strong and delivered.

Highlights:

+ Darling and Kennedy are still the 2 best KPF's duo in the AFL
+ Ryan showed Maynard why he got a AA Jacket and Brayden (what a wet name) missed out
+ Sheppard won against de Goeing to de Jail (and we know Shep always wins)
+ Duggan, Cole and Nelson did very well and have developed a really good rapport
+ NicNat showed us that he can play dual positions in midfield and ruck
+ Allen showed he was up to the pressure of finals and heir apparent
+ Jake needs to focus on being a winger in the off season - it is where he will make the grade

Lowlights:
- Barrass needs to look at his pre-game warm up. He probably needs to go into the boxing ring prior to each game
- Rioli's absence is hurting us
- I thought I was going to to eat my words after the first 30 minutes of Ainsworth's game but then he got lost in the crowd
- As official sponsor of Petruccelle, I apologise on behalf of the Pet franchise

For the neutrait was a cracking game and showcased a very good brand. We need to keep perspective
I rate your post Asterix, but the most pleasure I get is reading it with your voice from the podcast.:)
Strangely, gives me some sort of a feeling that everything is going ok, perhaps.
Didn't know you were Pet's sponsor on the podcast....didn't rate your call.
Thanks for your insight, enjoy it.

I sat there after screaming abuse at the TV among mates for the duration thinking with confirmation / hindsight bias that I was right.

Since 2018 we haven't been able to play 4 quarters. It struck in 2019. Total recall 2020.

"It's a crap season". That's not an excuse. Without the COVID bs that's happened this year, I don't think we would have made the finals playing like we have. We still show the same signs as 2019: a lack of guts for a 4 quarter grind and against a top side (after watching Lions v Tigers last night) we wouldn't stand a chance against either of them: it was 4 quarters of really, really good football with minimal errors and clear plans. We have neither at the moment. COVID affected everyone in the league: some more than others. Sure, we did some hard time, we also had an easy run of it at Optus.

"We have the best .... (insert position line here)". Do we? They have been massively inconsistent all year. There are some who have shown that every game, they can put in 100%.
Shep
NN
Gaff
Yeo
Shuey (for the most part)
Ryan
Duggo

Apart from that, most of our players have had very patchy seasons (JK, JD, Kelly, Redden, Allen, Hurn, Cripps, Sheed) where they've gone missing for extended periods. They have their justifications, and this isn't a personal attack: but it doesn't stack up, and you can't win a premiership with 3/4 of the team not giving 100% and showing up to give a consistent performance.

"Poor selection cost us". Absolutely no arguments here. On one hand, we got to blood a whole bunch of new players. Great. On the other hand, we got to see poor selection choices week after week. We know who they are.

"Umpiring cost us". It did cost us a fair bit, but I feel even if we won, we'd have got smashed by any of the other top 4. Cats would've downed us.

"We can't stick a tackle". 100%. We are one of the worst in the league. As I'll keep saying, let Cameron and Yeo school the whole side. They're the only Eagles I see consistently nailing people. Tonight we displayed how not to tackle: so many broken tackles and a lack of hardness at the ball.

"No plan B". We don't seem to have much in the way of plan B. We seem to be stuck in 2019. I see the same mistakes being made and I see us choking when a team figures us out.

"Rioli out has cost us". We have zero small forward capacity and Venables was also key in this regard. Cripps has had an absolutely trash season apart from this game where he did quite well. When it hits the deck, it rebounds straight out of our forward 50 and it hurts us every time.

What frustrates me the most about us, is that I believe we can beat ANY team, in the league, when we play 4 quarters and when we're 'on' so to speak. That hasn't happened for most of 2019 and this season. You can't rely on individual performances (like Ryan's in the last few weeks and Kelly's one amazing game) to get us over the line if you want to win a flag. It's not doable. Tack on some poor performing passengers who beggar belief as to why they're there for most of us. Isn't it obvious, after 3 times, to get someone else in?

Ps. My dad raised me on rugby union (Rhodesian parents). He doesn't really love AFL like I do and one of the major reasons "it's one of, if not the worst umpired games of any sport I watch". He has a point and tonight's inconsistency and poor decisions (for which nobody will be held accountable) were showcased in full glory: umpires are human, but the league clearly doesn't get any better or more consistent - it's really bad week in, week out.

Last edited:
We're just not as good as I thought we were, where was the intensity from the Collingwood game in the regular season? Instead we put on an insipid display and on the balance of probabilities we would win this game more times than we lose it, but we had too many spud moments and they had some brilliant ones:

-Gov's deliberate out (instead of slamming it on the boot) leads to a Cox goal
-Allen giving away 50 for a careless face swipe (with Adams flopping)
-Cox kicking 3 goals in 5 mins - what happened to Barrass tonight? normally Cox is easy pickings for Tommy
-Mihocek's 2 late goals that did not hit the boot sweetly at all but still went through
-De Goey's left footer that bounced through
-De Goey's snap that came from Gov trying to fool the ump into a mark
-Ah Chee not being good enough to even score

We're carrying too many spuds at the moment: Petrucelle, Cole, Ainsworth, Nelson, Ah Chee. And which one of these kept Schoey out of the team ffs?

We still have plenty of talent, but our mid-range players are well below 2018 level and we're slower as well.

- Kelly and Shuey ought to have been our leaders in the midfield but were generally pathetic. Kelly had two touches in the final quarter, including dealing one of the killer blows with that dumb handball to Cole.
- Petruccelle would have to develop out of sight to ever be worth selecting again. 3 handballs and not a single kick, mark, tackle or scoreboard contribution. He played the worst game of his career in an elimination final which would be less maddening if it weren’t so predictable. The fact that we selected him was ridiculous, the fact that we have signed him for three more years (!) is diabolical. He’s just not up for it and likely never will be because there’s just nothing between the eyes. His only purpose is the grand final sprint.
- I’ve spent too much of my life complaining about Barrass. He’s a one trick pony and we will continue to haemorrhage goals if we rely on him to play accountably on key forwards. He has zero nous or body-work. The antithesis of Darren Glass.

Not sure either side deserved to lose this and was great to watch a game with awesome atmosphere. Eagles will be back and I am pretty sure there is a Norm Smith medal with Liam Ryan's name on it. I am actually scared by the thought that I think he he has a lot more improvement in him still and the same probably goes for the medium sized O.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back