Offseason Changes + Road to the 2021 Premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

Jake Waterman is what Brander should be like, i feel Waterman is super underrated.

Only 22, perfect utility player, im not sure where he's running ranks but i'd imagine it would be right there, he tends to be on the ending of so many marks by pure gut running. He's a perfect height 192cm, can run, and is an exceptional mark. Has good goal sense, normally a good set shot and when he hits the scoreboard normally scored 2 goals. Is a good field kick also.

Could Waterman be moved into the middle? Especially if he adds a bit more size, will be a big/tall midfielder, although probably isnt super quick, could be another option..
Agility (read swervability) probably isnt high enough to run through the guts. Perfect link player though, can be used on either flank or wing and can fill in key position if needed.

Still pissed off.

There were way too many happy campaigners laughing and joking around outside the ground after the game. Boo.

Anyway. Learn to lay a ******* tackle, and use the weapons we have on our list properly. I'm talking Jetta and his elite kicking. Kelly and his goal kicking.

Block Cox's space to lead into and initiate body contact ffs. One goal yeah OK. Two? C'mon WTF are you doing. THREE IN 5 MIN??? That's when we get trade Barrass threads :p We get ragdolled by big key forwards. Even s**t ones like Cox. With the number of talls on our list, that's not good enough.

I'm going to be pissed off until Round One 2021. Two years in a row we couldn't beat the top 4 sides when conditions weren't perfect. We're finishing where we deserve and with what? 10 AAs on the list? That's not good enough.

Jake Waterman is what Brander should be like, i feel Waterman is super underrated.

Only 22, perfect utility player, im not sure where he's running ranks but i'd imagine it would be right there, he tends to be on the ending of so many marks by pure gut running. He's a perfect height 192cm, can run, and is an exceptional mark. Has good goal sense, normally a good set shot and when he hits the scoreboard normally scored 2 goals. Is a good field kick also.

Could Waterman be moved into the middle? Especially if he adds a bit more size, will be a big/tall midfielder, although probably isnt super quick, could be another option..

I agree with this, but Waterman also been give a lot of opportunity compared to Brander.

2018 Games played: Brander 1 Waterman 16
2019 Games played: Brander 2 Waterman 13
2020 Games played: Brander 8 Waterman 10
Total Games played: Brander 11 Waterman 39

I think many people on this board, and in footy in general are very keen to write off players if they don't hit the ball out of the park in their first couple of years in the system.

Many people thought Waterman wouldn't make it at AFL level, and look at him now. It's funny for people to now use Waterman as a way to place Brander in an unflattering light.

I completely agree that he’s under appreciated. He’s a great half forward/winger but there’s nothing I’ve seen that suggests he’s a an on baller. The thing with waterman Is you can see from his body, he’s put in work.

Brander needs to hit the stack and work on his core.

I completely agree that he’s under appreciated. He’s a great half forward/winger but there’s nothing I’ve seen that suggests he’s a an on baller. The thing with waterman Is you can see from his body, he’s put in work.

Brander needs to hit the stack and work on his core.

My sense is if Rioli comes back and Cameron pushes for selection, Waterman may find himself out of the forward line.

Waterman has shown that he is able to adapt if there is a role available, and I wouldn't be surprised if that becomes more in the midfield, perhaps on the wing. He has a good tank, good speed and is mobile. He is "only" 191cm tall, even though we classify him as being one of out talls. For comparison, Yeo, who started his career at half back, and moved in to the midfield in 2018 at the age of 24 is 190cm.

Could easily see snake playing on the wing next year.

My sense is if Rioli comes back and Cameron pushes for selection, Waterman may find himself out of the forward line.

Waterman has shown that he is able to adapt if there is a role available, and I wouldn't be surprised if that becomes more in the midfield, perhaps on the wing. He has a good tank, good speed and is mobile. He is "only" 191cm tall, even though we classify him as being one of out talls. For comparison, Yeo, who started his career at half back, and moved in to the midfield in 2018 at the age of 24 is 190cm.

Could easily see snake playing on the wing next year.
Wing or half back but not in the middle looks of. He is best as a lead up player.

Wing or half back but not in the middle looks of. He is best as a lead up player.

If he is a winger, he can push back and help out in defense, and swing forward if needed. He has become a real utility player who brings a lot to the table.

He should be a lock for B22 for every game next year.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So much this.
Just some info on Ryan.
Speaking to a copper from Gero, he was saying that the whole Ryan clan are a bunch of scumbags, drunks and drug users. The issues that Liam has had in the past are mostly to do with his family influence and would explain why West Coast erred on the side of caution drafting him too early. The incident up in Kalbarri apparently was very messy and hushed quite a bit by the media and the club.
I’m loving the effect kids are having are having on Ryan.
The threat of family issues will always be there and keeping that under control will be the biggest challenge the club will chase over the next few years

Why do you feel the need to drag Liam and his family down with gossip ..
Please delete..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why do you feel the need to drag Liam and his family down with gossip ..
Please delete..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Mate it isn’t gossip and has been mentioned before. Not intended to drag him down. Everyone was quick to bag the club for not rookie listing him early, I’m giving some insight into why.
The fact Liam has come so far over the last year or two is a credit to him and the club, with the influences he has

So.... trade Flyin now while stocks are high?

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Nope just back in Flyin to keep growing in maturity and stature. It can’t be understated how challenging it would have been for Liam to keep jumping over all the hurdles.
Apologies to all if I upset anyone and if you all want me to delete or edit I will

Just look at Bradley Hill / Jack Steven as an equivalent move. They both looked lost but did warm up at the back end of the season. It takes time.
The counter argument is a king's ransom wasn't paid for either of those players.

Nah doesnt bother me.

Flyin had a great year. prob our most important player behind Nic
Nope just back in Flyin to keep growing in maturity and stature. It can’t be understated how challenging it would have been for Liam to keep jumping over all the hurdles.
Apologies to all if I upset anyone and if you all want me to delete or edit I will

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Man we are a pretty good side if we have a sh*te year and finish the h and a season 5th, percentage from 3rd. We are so spoilt

Really good sides don't lose matches against seriously inferior oppo on multiple occasions.

Spoilt would be the current crop wining two GF's.

We are if we're lucky, 2 seasons off a major rebuild and a number of years of being not spoilt.

Mate it isn’t gossip and has been mentioned before. Not intended to drag him down. Everyone was quick to bag the club for not rookie listing him early, I’m giving some insight into why.
The fact Liam has come so far over the last year or two is a credit to him and the club, with the influences he has

When you write you spoke to a copper and he told you this story and you posted it here I think that is the very definition of gossip. True or not.

o much this.
Just some info on Ryan.
Speaking to a copper from Gero, he was saying that the whole Ryan clan are a bunch of scumbags, drunks and drug users. The issues that Liam has had in the past are mostly to do with his family influence and would explain why West Coast erred on the side of caution drafting him too early. The incident up in Kalbarri apparently was very messy and hushed quite a bit by the media and the club.
I’m loving the effect kids are having are having on Ryan.
The threat of family issues will always be there and keeping that under control will be the biggest challenge the club will chase over the next few years

Delete this, please. The only upside to sharing this information is to show us that you have contacts who might (or might not) know the Ryans. This is in no way helpful to the club or Liam. At best, this is a distraction that club supporters do not need, now or in the future.

It doesn't take a scientist to understand that Liam Ryan has had challenges in his life, and those challenges saw him leave Geraldton, and also made clubs nervous enough to not pick him up in the draft before we did.

Liam Ryan is exactly what I am talking about when I say we have developed systems and supports at our club that can provide opportunities to those who wouldn't ordinarily get them.

It's actually bizarre for people to praise the club for taking a chance on Liam, and to praise Liam (rightfully so) for the hard work and good choices he has made to get where he is, and then simultaneously write off a guy like Elijah Taylor or Sydney Stack.

No doubt in my mind, the club has put a lot of effort and resources in place to help support Liam over the last 3 years, and look how far he has come. It's a great outcome for him personally, but also speaks to the capability the club has developed in terms of understanding and being able to respond to some of the challenging issues our players confront growing up and before they get drafted, especially the Indigenous boys.

Some folks walk in to footy clubs and need extra support and mentoring to help them with their personal development. We've built the capability and have the resources to that, we should continue to use them.

IMO, the post outlining Liam's background is a bit too graphic and detailed. There's a degree of privacy and dignity people are entitled to.

No one wants their dirty laundry aired out on the internet.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back