Offseason Changes + Road to the 2021 Premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's not overact guys, we know the recipe to winning a flag, you know what that it is?

Finishing top 4, more specifically finishing top 2. It's not a coincidence,the grand finals we played in 05, 06, 15, 18 all came off us finishing top 2/4.

Do we have the personal to do this next season, with an aging list? Yes

Let's not overact guys, we know the recipe to winning a flag, you know what that it is?

Finishing top 4, more specifically finishing top 2. It's not a coincidence,the grand finals we played in 05, 06, 15, 18 all came off us finishing top 2/4.

Yep, it is a tough gig from 5th, as it will be for Pies. Even if we won that game, it was an exhausting game, then flying and playing the rest of the games against equally tough foe, week after week, without further injuries-almost mission impossible. Sure, the dogs did it, but not from W.A, and the oppo and game was different...mind you they also did it without their skipper, remarkable, but theirs was a new style at the time, pretty much the blueprint for present clubs/games...

Our premier needs to stop swinging his dick around so we dont get dry raped again with our draw. We need to AFL to stop being w***ers and give us a draw consistant with our final ladder position. We need Willie and Yeo to return and JK to maintain his form. That happens and we will go far.

Last edited:
Duggan needs to play wing/mid and Shuey needs to spend a lot of time on the half forward flank IMO. Duggan isn't as silky as others but does all the right things, tackles, takes the game on and gets the ball forward, lifts in big games. You can see him being the one in the middle to step up and * up a mid like Adams when they start getting on top of us. He'd give our midfield some much needed backbone.

Shuey to be that dangerous forward giving us inside 50s and goal assists, Robbie Gray style. Can obviously also go back into the midfield in crucial games/quarters when we need him, but think with his body these days best to preserve him a bit along with giving us some versatility and a small forward oppositions are actually worried about other than Ryan.

Shuey replacing Petch or Ah Chees spot. Would also hope JJ and Cameron overtake them both, Cameron in particular I think is a fair bit better than what we saw this year and a ferocious fast tackler would be immense down there.

Rotham to take the spot from Duggan and make it his own, or Jetta if he stays on and gets back into form/in favour with the match committee.

Hurn Barrass Cole
Nelson McGovern Sheppard
Gaff Yeo Duggan
Shuey Darling Ryan
Cripps Kennedy Cameron

Naitanui Kelly Sheed

Redden, OAllen, Waterman, Rotham/Jetta

Backup options hopefully including an improved Williams, an improved and injury free JJ, at least one early-mid 20s mid we either get from another club or WAFL and possibly an improved Brander if we need to replace Waterman as a tall Hff/Wing or give one of JK or Darling a rest. I'm still optimistic about next year, just need to hopefully get a few things done in the off season to give us some more depth/get rid of a few players we know aren't going to be AFL standard.

I personally underestimated Jetta's influence. This year I noticed that more clearly why he is so important. Looking back at 2018, you can see Jetta's kicking ( not just accuracy, he takes brave options and delivered in 18) was the major line breaker for us. Other teams use speed from half back like Touhy or Johannisen to break lines, our style depends on kicking so the line breaker has to be damn good kciker of the ball. Thats what Jetta and to some extent Wellingham did for us in 18 and 15 respectively. We were too slow moving it from back line this year and that killed us.It allowed teams to set up. Nelson does better defensively but he aint Jetta ( No one in our backline is tbh). Hurn is an accurate kick but he aint taking low percentage/ brave options. Gov I noticed tried many times this year but butchered it more than hitting targets. I notice Ryan doing it this year against dogs game against our game style.He went to defence, took a mark, played on through corridor and we score the other end.

We need to find that brave and accurate kicking defender or two.That would significantly improve our chances as the rest of our spine is settled and in prime for another flag to be honest.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pass. I'd rather see the great man carried off in his last game with a Norm Smith around his neck. You dont trade key players while you are in a premiership window.

It's not about whether we want him to go or not, it's whether he chooses to accept the deal, and if he did, what that would net us as compo.

The bottom end of the list needs to improve IMO. In 2018 everyone who ran on the park made a contribution.

This year we carried too many players. Cameron had weeks without impact, Nic Reid didn't work, Foley didn't work, XON didn't impact.

Cameron did as much in the 13 games he didn't play as Petro did in the six he played.

Finishing top 4, more specifically finishing top 2. It's not a coincidence, the grand finals we played in 05, 06, 15, 18 all came off us finishing top 2/4.

Agree, no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet.

I'm a big believer in giving new recruits (ie Tim Kelly) a first year with no expectations. Its rough to expect the same output he had at Geelong after coming in and training with the new club for what, 2-3months tops? Add to that covid restrictions, its hard to form a tight nit group and figure each other out.

Just look at Bradley Hill / Jack Steven as an equivalent move. They both looked lost but did warm up at the back end of the season. It takes time.

I think the group will return better than ever in 2021. The expectation will be top 4 in 2021.

Hopefully one tweak will be to find the root cause of the midfield injuries late in the year. Coincidence or poor management?

Shuey in particular shouldnt be expected to get through a whole season in the guts again. Time to rotate forward, and/or have a week off at some point. We probably get 1 more good year out of him before his form drops off a cliff.

I personally underestimated Jetta's influence. This year I noticed that more clearly why he is so important. Looking back at 2018, you can see Jetta's kicking ( not just accuracy, he takes brave options and delivered in 18) was the major line breaker for us. Other teams use speed from half back like Touhy or Johannisen to break lines, our style depends on kicking so the line breaker has to be damn good kciker of the ball. Thats what Jetta and to some extent Wellingham did for us in 18 and 15 respectively. We were too slow moving it from back line this year and that kileed us.It allowed teams to set up. Nelson does better defensively but he aint Jetta ( No one in our backline is tbh). Hurn is an accurate kick but he aint taking low percentage/ brave options. Gov I noticed tried many times this year but butchered it more than hitting targets. I notice Ryan doing it this year against dogs game against our game style.He went to defence, took a mark, played on through corridor and we score the other end.

We need to find that brave and accurate kicking defender or two.That would significantly improve our chances as the rest of our spine is settled and in prime for another flag to be honest.
The exact reason why ive said Cole,Nelson,Duggan and Rotham [while i think of it] are a weakness.Who is coming along that can kick? Brander looks good but he is 50 games away.If ya cant kick can ya run?? Who is coming that can run fast? Our midfield drafting is really coming back to bite us.Gov needs to get back on the mark quicker and take the longest option ;not those silly dinky passes that he stuffs up a lot.

Darling would be leading the forward line not Oscar.

Oscar would be third fiddle after Ryan.

Geez some people twist an argument to suit their point of view.

We have our JK replacement, 2021 will be his 4th season and he has shown plenty.

Anyone who thinks our forward line is about to fall in a hole if JK retires simply does not know football.

Yes JK is a legend. Yes his form warrants playing on. But if he chooses not to we have a succession plan three years in the making, and he's a bloody good one.

Yeah if he chooses not. There are people in here wanting to retire him.

Of course we’ll make do. But to think we’re not better with him is stupidity.

And no. The 2nd best defender will go to Allen. They’re not going to play a tall defender on a small forward who pushes up the ground.

Pass. I'd rather see the great man carried off in his last game with a Norm Smith around his neck. You dont trade key players while you are in a premiership window.
So you reckon match 2M over 2 years for a 33 year old?
If he is offered the money (complete speculation btw) and wants to go that is our only way of keeping him.- match and force a trade.
Pass.

So you reckon match 2M over 2 years for a 33 year old?
If he is offered the money (complete speculation btw) and wants to go that is our only way of keeping him.- match and force a trade.
Pass.
Can't match, JK is unrestricted.

I don't see a club paying 10% of their salary cap (or more if they reduce it) to one 33 year old player with a history of lower leg issues and missing games.

Jake Waterman is what Brander should be like, i feel Waterman is super underrated.

Only 22, perfect utility player, im not sure where he's running ranks but i'd imagine it would be right there, he tends to be on the ending of so many marks by pure gut running. He's a perfect height 192cm, can run, and is an exceptional mark. Has good goal sense, normally a good set shot and when he hits the scoreboard normally scored 2 goals. Is a good field kick also.

Could Waterman be moved into the middle? Especially if he adds a bit more size, will be a big/tall midfielder, although probably isnt super quick, could be another option..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back