Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

So shocking they didn’t even cancel the movie based on ONE person’s complaint!
They should put a warning at the start, explaining the "context" and saying that erasing the lived experiences of people is bad. How will people know otherwise? We need to tell everyone. It's too upsetting. I can't handle it.

They should put a warning at the start, explaining the "context" and saying that erasing the lived experiences of people is bad. How will people know otherwise? We need to tell everyone. It's too upsetting. I can't handle it.
That would have satisfied that one guy who commented.

One person being offended is one person too many.
You've changed your tune!

Oh wait. You haven't. You're just being disingenuous by that click-bait headlines of one person with an opinion means "cancel culture".

So you used a weak example as "sarcasm to make a point"?

Not buying it.
Endless revisions to avoid all possible offence are futile. And frankly undesirable.

Your post doesn't make any argument against that. It makes no argument at all.

I don't know what you mean by a "weak example". People regularly take issue with casting decisions that misrepresent race, ethnicity, gender etc. Why is Gal Gadot as Cleopatra different? A former Israeli soldier playing the famous Egyptian queen? Even allowing for Cleopatra's mixed heritage, you don't think that has annoyed some people?

Maybe you want to pick and choose the kinds of offence that matter, as opposed to the kinds that don't?

Last edited:
Endless revisions to avoid all possible offence are futile. And frankly undesirable.
That's fine. Accepted.

So what does that have to do with supporting the idea that there is a "cancel culture"?

It's the same impulse. OMG, we can't have that. People might be offended.
Yes that impulse has been around forever. Letter pages in the newspapers attest to that.

Remember Piss Christ ?

Yes that impulse has been around forever. Letter pages in the newspapers attest to that.
Yeah, I never said the impulse to censor is new. The recent development relates to the way social media has amplified fringe views and given rise to an illiberal left which seeks to censor based on these new pieties about race, gender etc, whereas the impulse was more commonly observed among the religious right. And disagreement often isn't sufficient. There needs to be boycotts and de-platforming. This is what people mean when they talk about "cancel culture", although I agree that this was not invented by the left. Nor is the impulse to censor a new phenomenon. It's as old as religion and the Dixie Chicks.

Remember Piss Christ ?
Yes, I was just talking to someone about this the other day. I think you can probably guess what I think about the hand-wringing religious folks who wanted this piece of frivolously bad art blocked from exhibition. The same lunatics who thought Harry Potter was heresy.

Although I sympathise with them on one specific point - there is a hypocrisy on the left to the extent that some people would be happy to defend Piss Christ while refusing to go into bat for Salman Rushdie or the Danish cartoonists who depicted the prophet because suddenly when it's Islam being insulted, "sensitivity" becomes the most important thing. Either you defend the right to free expression as superseding religious objections or you don't. You can't argue that Christianity is fair game but Islam is a protected species. The freedom to satirise and lampoon religion should apply equally.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

some people would be happy to defend Piss Christ while refusing to go into bat for Salman Rushdie or the Danish cartoonists who depicted the prophet because suddenly when it's Islam being insulted
There are those people around, definitely.

There are those people around, definitely.
Damn straight. Christopher Hitchens never forgave members of the "international left" for the way they threw Rushdie under the bus. Suddenly, because Islam was involved, freedom of expression had to take a backseat to "tolerance" and "sensitivity". This is what I have in mind when I talk about the risk of creating a moral framework that could eventually be stretched to accommodate blasphemy complaints.

Anyone who says "well we shouldn't say that because someone might be offended". Will you be so eager to accommodate the Muslim Brotherhood or the Taliban when they're offended by Lady Gaga? If not, don't create the opening for mere "offence" to become the most important factor in these deliberations. It is an invitation to religious zealots.

Last edited:
It is a cottage industry that relies on inventing new things to be offended by and new codes that must be enforced. It's the manufacturing hub for cancel culture.
How is this a new thing? It’s just a continuation of a theme.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back