Coaching Staff Former Coach Ben "Truck" Rutten - Sacked for real this time - 21/8

Remove this Banner Ad

It hasn’t been brilliant but he has said something, it hasn’t been devoid of meaning.

He basically says he wants us to be a hard-working, consistent (in terms of effort) and tough, contested team.

We haven’t really been that so it’s definitely a flag in the ground. It’s something to judge us on.

SEN:

What are you doing at this time of year?
  • Hectic: It's a hectic time of year, in planning mode, just come out of a busy trade period and now we turn our attention pretty quickly to the draft.
  • Team: Not only me but Adrian & our list management team to get the best possible players.
  • Draft: We have a good draft hand and will be big players early in the draft.
  • Fans: Fans should be excited.
  • [Soft question to warm up. Woohoo! Draft picks!]
How did you find 2020 with the handover? Couple of positives?
  • Pandemic: Difficult 2020 for so many reasons, not only us at Essendon but any person around Australia has had challenges we haven't faced in the past.
  • Rare opportunity: Transition year with John and in his last year as senior coach of Essendon, it was an opportunity that was given to me that not many senior coaches get, an opportunity to work really closely with such as experienced campaigner as John.
  • Praise John: I have a lot of respect for John, he's done a lot for the Essendon footy club. He took over in a really difficult time 5 years ago at the club, I think he's done a really strong job to be able to get the club back to where it's at.
  • Grateful for: For me it was an opportunity to get a bit of extra responsibility and empowerment to work really closely with him in the hub for the most part, and we had a really strong working relationship. But I've got no doubt it set me up to be in a better position right now to be able to take over the club now in my own right.
  • Senior coach from now on: I think it's really important to mark me as a senior coach from now on. I haven't coached a senior game in my own right and it's something I'm really looking forward to doing, come March and round 1, being in the hot seat myself.
  • [This whole section sounds a bit rehearsed, unsurprisingly.]
You see yourself as a first time coach round 1 next year? What level of input did you have in 2020? Was the game plan yours? The way that Essendon played? Is that what we think your philosophies are? Or will it be a different look altogether?
  • 2020:
    • Woosha was the coach: John Worsfold was the senior coach in 2020, I was working really closely to better prepare myself to take over this year. I've got no doubt that that's been the case.
    • Disappointing result: Last year was disappointing on-field, in terms of win-loss and results, lots of reasons for that but don't want to back over, because we're in a position now where we're really looking forward about what next year is going to look like.
    • [Doesn't want to analyse 2020 on radio, pivots to talking about the second half of the question about what we're doing in 2021]
  • 2021: I'm really keen to build a really strong, identifiable brand about how we play and what we stand for:
    • Finals brand: Really strong finals brand of footy. Really strong defensive teams, good in contest, balance between attack and defence – they're all the hallmarks of the most consistent teams.
  • A Ben Rutten team: I really want a 'Ben Rutten coached team' to be a "blue collar team". I think that's the core of what Essendon is, it's what Essendon has been built on in the past and I'm keen to bring that forward with us. [Does this sound Sheedy-esque to anyone else?]
    • Disciplined on and off the field.
    • Strong work ethic.
    • Real trust and dependability about what we do.
    • Build our game on some really tough, hard footy.
    • Connect really well, build some really strong comraderie and cohesion in our team.
  • Make supporters proud: As a coach no different to supporters who turn up and want to be really proud and know what we're going to get from our team. That won't guarantee results, we know that and understand that. [This point sounds like Brasher – seems to be on the same page.]
  • Patience: Some of that takes time, but putting performance really firmly front and centre in what we do.
  • Premiership contender: That's going to lead our decision making and that's what is going to lead us towards a premiership and stay a premiership contender for as long as possible. That's going to be front and centre what I want to do as senior coach.
  • [Overall I'm glad he has a vision for what he wants the team to be. This is the kind of thing you'd normally pitch in an interview, if he'd had one. So it's good that it's there and not just hitting the ground running and flying by the seat of his pants. It's also in some ways good to see a bit of Sheedy and Brasher coming through, as that suggests everyone is on the same page and not siloed, with the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.]
Network around you that you can trust, are you disappointed that Dan Richardson won't be part of your support staff next year? [Good question!]
  • Good working relationship with Richo, he was really instrumental in getting me to the club, no doubt about that.
  • The footy manager is a footy club decision by Xavier and the board and it's something we just need to move on with.
  • So we're looking for another footy manager and that'll be someone I need to build a really strong relationship with and have ultimate trust in, because as you said the success of any club is not just on the senior coach, that can be overplayed at times. [Brasher also said this.]
  • It's the strong support you get from your footy manager, from your assistant coaches, from your physical performance team and all of that goes into the melting pot of making a successful footy club.
Lots of feedback about the way the Bombers will move the ball. I've heard you say a couple of times that you'll be a "blue collar team" and a "defence-first team" and those sorts of things. Does that mean that there will there be a shift in just specifically in the way you play, like won't be as much of a handball game or is there another team you'll play similar to to give your own fans an idea of what 2021 will look like?
  • Personnel changes: There's always some change every season and like a lot of club there's going to be a fair turnover of players and probably moreso as a result of the reduced list sizes. And there's also we're bringing in Daniel Giansiracusa as well as a new assistant coach so certainly interested in his idea and what he can bring from a Bulldogs perspective.
  • Uniquely Essendon: We're ultimately going to look at our personnel and build a brand that's really unique to Essendon and our personnel that we've got, and it's important that we do that. Absolutely we can take things from Geelong, West Coast, Richmond, and if there's something we can take and apply that will improve the way we play we'll do that, but ultimately it's about us and building a style of play that is identifiable to our members and supporters. [Brasher said this too.]
I heard Paul Brasher talk about in terms of player empowerment and those guys driving the club, and he wanted you to get your fingerprints more on what was happening, and not allowing the senior core leadership group to I don't know whether it was make key decisions or steer the ship too much? Is that your understanding of what his message was, that you'll have a firmer grasp on the steering wheel? Is that a fair call?
  • Yeah, probably. I mean I heard Paul's comments about that and ultimately that's my role as a senior coach and the leader of the footy program.
  • I certainly trust a lot of our senior players and more experienced players, but ultimately it's about me setting a really clear direction for the footy club and you know creating some real clarity around our boundaries and our expectations for our players and them being really clear on that. So that's certainly something I'm going to do.
  • When we return, we get our younger guys back in a couple of weeks and the whole group back together in early January, and that's going to be important that I set some really clear expectations some really clear boundaries about who we are as Essendon people and Bombers and what we do.

The RSN interview was actually before the SEN one this morning but I listened to the SEN one first so I'm going to put it in the post that way too so I can compare the questions he was asked and the points he's made and see if they're the same or different... (which ones were Dorothy Dixers?)

This one seems to be wayyyyyy longer (not just 6 minutes longer but they seem to speak twice as fast as well), and the questions are far more interesting. Truck seems more relaxed too.

I'll mark the bits that aren't already in the interview above in blue.

RSN:

The last time I saw you Ben, was last week in a moving van, an Essendon football club moving van what were you doing man??

Yeah well that's the uh, the first pay check hasn't rolling in yet guys, so I thought myself I'd do it.

So you're moving house?

Yeah mate so moving house moving some things into storage, so thought I'd get amongst it and do a bit of it myself.

If I was a regular footy fan I would've whipped my phone out and taken a photo of the coach in the Bombers van but I didn't do that to you.

I was driving around in a mask Harvs, I didn't want to be recognised.

*Laughter*

So how's your world at the moment Ruts, is your head spinning or are you fully in control of what the preparation phase for the bombers for next season looks like?
  • Hectic: Yeah being a pretty busy period during the off-season, obviously just coming out of the trade period and moving into the draft.
  • Personnel changes: We've got our first to fifth year players back next week so a really busy time for footy clubs and especially given the circumstances with reduced list sizes and all that and it's something I've really enjoyed and got some great support there at the club.

We know that you've been floating around the traps there at the Bombers for a little while now but this is your first crack to take the reins fully. Is there an area of pressure being eased on the back of that or is there more pressure? Because there's been a conversation for the last couple of years about you and John and how that's going to work, and now it's all yours, is that an easier thing to deal with now?

• Rare opportunity: Yeah I think last year I was involved in the succession or the transition period and it was a great opportunity that not a lot of senior coaches get an opportunity to do and that's something I'm grateful for.
  • Praise John: I've got a lot of respect for John and the responsibility and the empowerment that he gave me last year as an assistant coach.
  • Senior coach from now on: So I'm really excited to take over in my own right now and have the responsibility as senior coach moving forward. And it's really important that you know that I get marked as a senior coach from now moving forward and I'm really looking forward to coaching my first game in March.

And Ben, what's the first job on the list, we've got a lot of fans on the RSN station so what can they expect, what's the sort of brand of footy you can expect that you guys will be carrying on into the next season?
  • Finals brand: Yeah ultimately I'm really keen to develop a brand of footy that's going to stack up in finals and I think we've seen in the past really strong defensive teams and teams that are in the contest are that. And our guys are really hungry to do that.
  • I've been down the club a lot in the last month or two and the amount of guys we've got in there training and working hard and building that chemistry during the off-season and it's probably because a lot of them haven't been able to get away so there's been a lot more time together. So that's been a real advantage for us.
  • A "Ben Rutten" Team: But ultimately I want to build a really strong "blue collar" footy team that's known for
    • Really strong hard work
    • is a disciplined footy team
  • Uniquely Essendon: I'd love our members and supporters to turn up every week and know what they're going to get from us, being proud of the style of footy that we play. And I think that's an Essendon deep down that's the core of who Essendon is:
    • a hard working team
    • they fight really hard
    • they're tough in the contest
    • they're really dependable
  • I think our players are really looking forward to that and are really driven to be part of the success of the Essendon footy club.

Ben what we'll see from Essendon in 2021 how similar will it be in 2020 when you were in the coaches' box as you were and now you're the senior coach, I don't know what's the sort of percentage on it?

• Personnel changes: Yeah it's always a difficult thing, there's always changes, there's changes with the lists and certain personnel. Maybe we've had a little bit more change than other footy clubs and I think that should bring some real change and some real energy.
  • Players are buying in: As I said before with our current players there's a real drive and a real ambition about what we can achieve, and we've just finished up a trade period where we've been able to bring in some really quality people first and foremost, as well as some quality footballers.
  • New guys: You know Jye Caldwell out of the Giants, Peter Wright, both former first round draft picks. And also Nick Hind from St Kilda who's a former Bomber and had a couple of years at St Kilda but he's a player as well I was really keen to bring into the footy club, he's got great character and he's a really hard worker and he's going to add a lot to our footy club.
  • Desirable club: I think it's great to see that we've got three players that were desperate to come to our footy club and we were able to get that done and they're going to strengthen our position and bring a different element to what we've had previously.

Does that give you confidence Ben because there were a lot of negatives said about the football club based on the players that wanted to leave, and there were questions asked about the culture of the football club that you were part of. The way the trade period played out, did that change your view? Did it give you more confidence? Or were you always confident that things weren't as bad as it seemed?

• Yeah look I was always really confident, I've got a lot of belief in our playing group and what we can do.
  • Traitors: I think the guys that did decide to leave we had a couple of guys that wanted to get back home. Joey obviously wanted a lifestyle change. Saady was probably the one that was a little bit more disappointing and probably one we didn't quite see coming, and we always want to keep good players at our footy club and we fight really hard for them. But ultimately they've made the decision that they want to pursue their footy elsewhere and ultimately we've got guys who are really committed to the Essendon footy club and are happy about the environment that they're in. So while we wish all those guys all the best and they've been really strong contributors for our club, I was always really confident in us as a footy club. [We've definitely heard this before.]
  • Desirable club: To have those three guys and be able to bring those guys into the club is fantastic, and to have Josh Dunkley keen to become a Bomber you know put them alongside Shiel and Smith in recent years I think it's a really desirable place to be and I think at the moment there's some real excitement and anticipation on what we can do moving forward.
  • Performance first: I'm certainly going to put high performance front and centre of what we do and really keen to build a really strong footy club as quick as we possibly can.

So you mentioned before Ruts that we're still in the acquisition phase, done the trade period but the draft is just around the corner and the bombers go in with a really solid hand by the way with picks 6, 7, 8 amongst their draft hand this year. I'm interested in just from your perspective, on your involvement in it because I imagine the footy club wants to give you the best possible chance to start the way that you would like to start and keep young talent would be a part of your plan going forward. Do you have a say in what happens from here? How much involvement do you have to say in drafting and what sort of players you want? Or whether or not you say nah nah trade for pick 1 or pick 2 and let's get the best kid and just work from there?

• Our picks: Look yeah it's a good point and you're right in saying to have three picks in the top ten going into this draft is something I don't think we've seen at Essendon in a long period of time. Especially this year given it's the compromised season that the juniors have had and the Victorian kids haven't had a opportunity to play all season. So to have three picks in the top ten gives us a really good opportunity to pick up some high quality players and we can have probably have a little bit more certainty of who we're picking up at that pointy end.
  • Member of the list management team: But certainly I'm a member of our list management team and will certainly have a strong voice in what we're doing. I know Adrian and our recruiting team are doing a power of work and have done over the last couple of months but even now they've focused all their attention on the draft and I'm certainly going to have some involvement in who we pick there and bringing in Bombers is going to be a really strong focus for me. And that's having really strong character as well as talent is really important and I think that's important that we continue to build that. But yeah I think it's a fantastic hand that we haven't had for a long period of time.
  • Look at Port: I think if we look in recent years if we look at what Port were able to do with three top 20 picks and recently being able to pick Rozee, Butters and Duursma I think that's a really good example of what an injection of youth and enthusiasm and talent can do really quickly to your club. Now we'll bring in different personnel but I'm really confident we'll be able to bring in some really long term Essendon players into our club, that'll, you know I'm sure our fans will be able to see them play some footy for us next year.

Is there an area of the ground that is more important for you to stock up on at the draft?

• Best available: I think it's really important in the draft to pick up the best possible players and I think that will be our focus. There will potentially be a period where there's a line ball decision and clubs will choose a player based on their needs but when you get three top 10 picks I think it's really important to get the best possible players and the ones that are going to help you moving forward.

Could there be a situation where you upgrade and maybe try and get to 1, 2 and 3 by taking two of your three picks, or are you happy with the picks you've got?

• Mmmmmaybe: Yeah look we're certainly happy with the picks we've got, but that is certainly an opportunity that we will have and I think we've got that opportunity right up until draft night. So if we feel that we're able to trade our way to get a higher pick and if we feel that's going to be a better result for us as a club, then we'll certainly be looking at that and how that might impact us moving forward, but we haven't made any concrete decisions on that just yet.

Paul Brasher, tell us about Paul because he's made quite an impact in his short time as chairman and I think he's really resonated with the fans and he's been part of a fairly significant review internally. Were you nervous about what he had to say and the questions he asked or were you comfortable? And what sort of impact do you think it's already had?

• Praise Paul: Yeah look I think it's fantastic, to have a new president come in and I think his communication style, his honesty and his transparency being you know has really resonated, not only with the fans but also with people at the footy club, the coaches, the staff and players as well.
  • Review=good: I think the fact that we should be looking at what we're doing as a footy club, we didn't have the season we wanted last year and there's some disappointment around that and we need to get better. So for Paul to conduct the review and look at not only some things we're doing well but more importantly where are some opportunities where we can grow and get better as a footy club.
  • Always improving: I think that's something I certainly welcome as a coach and certainly open to and if we can find some more ways to improve the way we do things and some of our methods and the way we go about things then I'm certainly open to that.
  • Solid relationship: So I've really enjoyed the time I've spent with Paul and I think his communication style and with our people has been fantastic.

I invited some questions from the Essendon fans so I'll just ask you a couple. The transition from John to yourself – did it work?

• Praise Woosh: It's a good question and one I know there's a lot of interest around, I've got a lot of respect for Woosh and I think we can't lose sight of the situation he walked into at Essendon, there's a lot of sacrifices that he made to do the role and he was able to take over the club at a really emotional time and a time where the club really needed to be rebuilt, and build some trust again – with our players, with our staff and with our supporters. I think he took over at a really important time in our history.
  • Gratitude: And also the succession he provided a great opportunity for me to continually refine my philosophies as a coach and I think it's one of those things that we'll actually be determine that in a few years. I think there's no doubt that I'm a better coach having been through that period last year under John. It's certainly set me up to be able to take over the reins now as a Senior Coach moving forward with some real confidence and real excitement, and I've had another twelve months to have a really close look at our club and our players and as I said before I've got a really strong belief in our playing group and our staff.
  • There's a real sense of urgency that every decision we make moving forward is about what is going to best position us to win a premiership, and I think that's exactly what we should be doing. [Tell me more...]

Just conscious of time so two more quick ones. Injuries were an issue last year, fans were worried about that. Can you fix that? Are you a doctor?

• Careful management: No not a doctor no, but injuries we know they're part of the game and we've got to find that line where we're not pushing our players too hard that they get injured and that we're actually preparing them for the rigours of AFL football. [Yay, acknowledgement!]
  • Some bad luck: I think we had a bit of bad luck with our injuries last year. I think we had three syndesmoses which are those rolls of the ankle with Stringer, Laverde and McGrath at the end. Dyson Heppell had a really weird break in his foot, we didn't see any of Paddy Ambrose all year, all through those kind of collision/impact injuries which are difficult to do anything about. We are certainly looking into could we have prepared our players better, in those situations? But I think sometimes you get a bit of bad luck and I feel that was more of the case for us last year.
  • Areas to improve: But certainly in the past there's been areas where we're constantly looking to refine the way we train, the way we prepare our guys, and the medical team does a great job they work tirelessly to make sure we've got the best available players each week.

And one final one. The forward line situation. Now I've been pretty strong on the fact I think you should've traded for more a more experienced forward to help you kick more goals, a lot of texts and tweets have come in about your forward line. How are you going to fix that?

• Yeah look I do get the interest around our forward line and it's an important part of us absolutely.
  • Wright, Jones, Stewart: We've brought in Peter Wright from the Gold Coast who as I said I'm a big believer that we can get the best out of him. He probably hasn't reached his potential so far in his career and we know that big guys can take a bit longer to develop. I'm also really bullish about Harry Jones who we picked up last year in the draft – he's putting on some size, he's running really well, and training really hard. So I kinda certainly see in terms of our forward line, our key targets, there's Harry Jones, there's Peter Wright and I'm excited, I don't think we've seen the best out of James Stewart either, he's had some injury problems over his time here at Essendon but he's in really good shape as well.
  • Walla, Stringer, Smith: So we add them on top of Tipungwuti and Stringer and Devon Smith and other guys who roll through our forward line.
  • So I get that we see on paper that we've had some forwards leave, but what that does is provide an opportunity and some space for some other guys to step into their roles and we need to find multiple avenues to go anyway and that's a really strong focus for us moving forward. [We had a lot of forwards anyway, we needed to have a lot since the ones we had were so injury prone and seemed like leaving.]

Last one before we let you go. How do you balance now? Your world changes with more responsibility as the senior coach, and it comes along new and how do you balance family life and work life and just being a normal human?

• Lucky there's a family guy: I'm a really strong family guy, I've got a wife and two young boys, with the oldest Jack about to go into high school and we've got a ten year old as well who is about to go into Grade 5. So they're really strong parts in my life and a really good way to balance out what we do day-to-day and what we love doing, but family is a big part of my life too.

dammmmn if i had that much free time...

well he’s got to own his very senior role in what was an utter shambles of a season that included some of the worst footy played by an essendon side in my life.
I'm probably more interested in seeing him own his very senior role now and moving forward tbh. Rule a line under last season, refocus and get on with it.

I don't think there's anything to be gained at all from apportioning blame to Rutten for 2020's debacle, when the senior coach was Worsfold. None of the decisions will have been made solely by Truck without Worsfold's hand on the wheel.

This season is Truck's. I'll reserve judgment pending the 2021 performance. A bit early and unfair to go at him yet.

If you don’t mind my two bobs , I think people are being way harsh in judging rutten early doors in the media , dimma was rough around the edges early on until he grew confidence in the role and wins built , ken Hinkley not dissimilar , give him some time to put his team around him and bed in a new game plan

You're addressing two separate issues and while i agree with the second half of your post, I couldn't give a sh*t if a goofy, tall ex footy player sucks in front of a camera.
The question I think we are grappling with is whether a correlation exists between how logically and fluently the tall goofy guy puts his thoughts together for the camera vs how he does for the team.

It wouldn’t be impossible for there to be some overlap. Let’s see.

Remember any of Clarksons early interviews ?

I do not know if he is a good coach and as far as the media stuff goes I will be waiting until after we play a game to see the reaction.
Yes. Very well. Was very good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Woosha was the matchday coach? No wonder we were putrid, sat on his own through most games. Clearly lost the playing group during the year.

Rutten can't be held responsible for anything this year. Lets hope players are on board in 2021. We will know early.

Yes. Very well. Was very good

Never said it was a good media performance. All I am saying is even the best coach bumbled through his fist couple of years in front of the microphone.
Right now it does not really add up to anything. He outlined how he wants the team to play.
What matters is how and what he does after the real stuff starts. Will we be learning or will it be called for what it is on the day.

Last edited:
So Woosha was the matchday coach? No wonder we were putrid, sat on his own through most games. Clearly lost the playing group during the year.

Rutten can't be held responsible for anything this year. Lets hope players are on board in 2021. We will know early.
Whoa. Not responsible for last year, sure. This year? He is responsible.

If you don’t mind my two bobs , I think people are being way harsh in judging rutten early doors in the media , dimma was rough around the edges early on until he grew confidence in the role and wins built , ken Hinkley not dissimilar , give him some time to put his team around him and bed in a new game plan

didnt you here we invented a genius coaching hand over strategy over to make it easier for him. So yeah Im a bit harsh on him.

Truck has done all those wonderful coaching courses, assisted coach at a few places, heck even had a really good playing career. He's done media before. He has had time, he has got experience and he knows what this caper involves. I hope he expects criticism to come his way every week. I reckon theres probably only one week a year Dimma doesn't get criticised and thats the week after you win the GF.

"give him some time to put his team around him and bed in a new game plan"

lmao do you work at the club?

Never said it was a good media performance. All I am saying is even the best coach bumbled through his fist couple of years in front of the microphone.
Right now it does not really add up to anything. He outlined how he wants the team to play.
What matters is how and what he does after the real stuff starts. Will we be learning or will it be called for what it is on the day.

I’ve said as much in other posts.

didnt you here we invented a genius coaching hand over strategy over to make it easier for him. So yeah Im a bit harsh on him.

Truck has done all those wonderful coaching courses, assisted coach at a few places, heck even had a really good playing career. He's done media before. He has had time, he has got experience and he knows what this caper involves. I hope he expects criticism to come his way every week. I reckon theres probably only one week a year Dimma doesn't get criticised and thats the week after you win the GF.

Lol nah , just footy fan /observer

So, you're harsh on him because he "invented this genius coaching hand over strategy."

He's done some coaching courses and an apprenticeship. Holy mackerel. Are you saying he's a rookie coach?

I dunno. Maybe give him some time to put his team around him and bed in a new game plan?

Lmao.

The question I think we are grappling with is whether a correlation exists between how logically and fluently the tall goofy guy puts his thoughts together for the camera vs how he does for the team.

It wouldn’t be impossible for there to be some overlap. Let’s see.

Thats my concern. The pressure will come and listening him bumble through a few soft interviews in the off season has me worried.

And yeah there is a correlation between his coaching performance and his media performance. Wasn't there a half time interview with him during the season where he looked dumbfounded on another insipid team effort? Time will tell of course and again i hope Im wrong and have been many times.

He's not rough around the edges.

He sounds dumb as a post.

Edit: I should clarify that I accept that the way he sounds is ultimately irrelevant but that presentation he gave to the board must have been spectacular to overcome the reality that he sounds like he couldn't sell sand to Arabs.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back