Recruiting Draft Watch 2020

Which do you prefer, if you have to choose?

• Nik Cox

Votes: 53 77.9%
  • Zach Reid

Votes: 15 22.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely you guys wouldn’t take 2 guys who are 200cm plus that would both need two years of development?
I don't think we will, but it depends on who's available

Rumours going the rounds Thilthorpe is sliding due to telling clubs he only wants to play ruck

If he does get out of the 5 id be offering him to Adelaide for 9 and second, a swap of future firsts

Lose 6 and future 1st
Gain 9 and future 1st plus second

TBH I wouldn't be banking on us finishing higher than Adelaide next year.

Surely you guys wouldn’t take 2 guys who are 200cm plus that would both need two years of development?
Surely you guys wouldn't take 3 inside mids, then wonder why 2 leave in 1-2 years

Really?
I wouldn't bank on Adelaide finishing above us

By the end of the season they were playing better football than we were. We definitely have a bit more fire power up forward, but they match up pretty well come defence and middle, and should they play continue building on their cohesion I think their collective could be better than the sum of our parts.

By the end of the season they were playing better football than we were. We definitely have a bit more fire power up forward, but they match up pretty well come defence and middle, and should they play continue building on their cohesion I think their collective could be better than the sum of our parts.
Im not even confident we have more fire power hp forward either

Mcadams came on alot
Stengle hits the scoreboard and showed plenty
Fogarty, Himmelberg, Tex isnt far off Stewart/Wright

Stringer is the clear seperator and Tippa probably has a decent edge on a Stengle

Our midfield group is still a fair bit better

M.Crouch, Sloane (Well past it), Hately, Laird, Schoenberg, L.Sholl, Seedsman

Z.Merrett, D.Shiel, Mcgrath, Parish, Heppell, Caldwell, Langford

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I the only one that’s a bit concerned when draft prospects are labelled as “versatile”? Basically just means they aren’t that great in any particular position, which feels a bit like calling a shabby old house a “renovators delight”...

It’s the call of the wild. Versatile is great but while there are exceptions in most cases it means that they haven’t mastered their primary position.

I’m very interested in Cox because he offers a serious point of difference in his kicking at that height, not because he can play both ends, ‘can play both ends’ for a young tall is fools gold. I think you’d settle him back and you’re probably looking at a taller Jack Lukosious. We may even be getting something better with Cody Brand but with far less bells and whistles.

Phillips, Cox and Perkins is my wet dream result but I can’t see a path to that panning out, reckon we can reasonably assume we’ll have access to 2 but not 3.

I dont know why we wouldnt just take Thilthorpe at pick 6-8 isnt he exackty what wed need a key forward whos close to being ready made. Id think hed be pushing Stewart/Wright out of the side if things go well. Id rather him over Cox

I'd be more than happy to go with him except his groins are a bit stuffed. Club medicos will have a better idea of how fixable that is but after Daniher I'm personally a bit concerned at that.

Then there's also the rumours of him wanting to play more in the ruck, which if true means he isn't exactly what we need as well already have Draper and Bryan.

The versatility thing could also be influenced by the number of players who haven't featured this year. Some haven't had a good chance to be a top-age player with a more settled position.

There’s a difference between someone who is a “mid/forward” or a “swingman” that plays multiple positions well, and a “versatile tall that could play x y z a b or c” though.

Aaron Francis was a versatile tall. We thought he’d be a big mid or a desperately needed forward. Turns out, not that versatile.

A few things on Francis.
Never played KP. Player mostly intercept half back.
He did play some midfield at center bounces but his only ability there was being a big body. He could bump a few blokes out of the way but won zero clearances and genuinely could not find the ball.
He had also limited forward footy.
He was also not that athletic.
So much of his supposed versatility was pure guess work. Unlike Cox or Reid who have proven to be very athletic and played a couple of positions well. Not that is going to guarantee they will be great or even good.

I'd be more than happy to go with him except his groins are a bit stuffed. Club medicos will have a better idea of how fixable that is but after Daniher I'm personally a bit concerned at that.

Then there's also the rumours of him wanting to play more in the ruck, which if true means he isn't exactly what we need as well already have Draper and Bryan.
The way i see it if hes still being discussed as a top 15-20 pick then his groins arent stuffed but would come down to medicals. Not many 17yr olds have stuffed bodies even more so off the back of a lean year

I think Crows want him at 9 and are reading from Dodoros 1st page and pulling every stop out. Whether the player himself is buying into that or not is the concern

Im not even confident we have more fire power hp forward either

Mcadams came on alot
Stengle hits the scoreboard and showed plenty
Fogarty, Himmelberg, Tex isnt far off Stewart/Wright

Stringer is the clear seperator and Tippa probably has a decent edge on a Stengle

Our midfield group is still a fair bit better

M.Crouch, Sloane (Well past it), Hately, Laird, Schoenberg, L.Sholl, Seedsman

Z.Merrett, D.Shiel, Mcgrath, Parish, Heppell, Caldwell, Langford

I don’t think Sloanes as past it as he looks, just hasn’t had a good run at it, looked good late in the year. Keays came on in leaps and bounds was probably their their best mid by the end of the year, and I count Smith in there as he played more wing than half back.

Plus I rate Milera high off half back who missed the entire year. If they find a tall forward in the draft that’s relatively good early they have enough pieces to compete vs pretty much anyone.

Last edited:
It’s the call of the wild. Versatile is great but while there are exceptions in most cases it means that they haven’t mastered their primary position.

I’m very interested in Cox because he offers a serious point of difference in his kicking at that height, not because he can play both ends, ‘can play both ends’ for a young tall is fools gold. I think you’d settle him back and you’re probably looking at a taller Jack Lukosious. We may even be getting something better with Cody Brand but with far less bells and whistles.

Phillips, Cox and Perkins is my wet dream result but I can’t see a path to that panning out, reckon we can reasonably assume we’ll have access to 2 but not 3.
A jack of all trades as it were. Which is fine as a late pick, a Matt Guelfi or Mitch Brown type spare parts. Pretty sure Nat Fyfe and Patrick Dangerfield didn’t have versatile among their key strengths though.

The way i see it if hes still being discussed as a top 15-20 pick then his groins arent stuffed but would come down to medicals. Not many 17yr olds have stuffed bodies even more so off the back of a lean year

I think Crows want him at 9 and are reading from Dodoros 1st page and pulling every stop out. Whether the player himself is buying into that or not is the concern

If an athletic forward like him is being discussed outside the top 5 then his groins are definitely an issue because clubs holding the top picks deem him to be too much of a risk.

I don’t think Sloanes as past it as he just hasn’t had a good run at it, looked good late in the year. Keays came on in leaps and bounds was probably their their best mid by the end of the year, and I count Smith in there as he played more wing than half back.

Plus I rate Milera high off half back who missed the entire year. If they find a tall forward in the draft that’s relatively good early they have enough pieces to compete vs pretty much anyone.

Yeh its certainly no gurantee the crows still have weapons and most if them are in the right age sprinkled with some good talent aswell. If Mchenry and the small tasmanian #9 ever get into they could be rising a bit next year. Still think our midfield and fwds have them covered. Down back there probably better pretty lethal Milera and B.Smith iff half back with shutdown guys like Talia, L.Brown

But going into next year wed have to back ourselves to finish better off then them by a few spots i feel

A jack of all trades as it were. Which is fine as a late pick, a Matt Guelfi or Mitch Brown type spare parts. Pretty sure Nat Fyfe and Patrick Dangerfield didn’t have versatile among their key strengths though.

It’s a little bit different for smalls I think because with midfielders especially you want them to be able to effect the game without having to be spoon fed the ball in the centres or attend every stoppage.

A knock on Weitering was ‘can he play forward though?’ What an absolute bollocks

Nat Fyfe was a forward when drafted

People didnt see him becoming the mid he is

Freo thought hed fill out but i still dont think they could say honestly they saw him being this bull inside mid

Back