News Russell Ebert diagnosed with leukemia

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
David Wildy seemed to have spoken to Russell pretty recently, said he's up for the battle but in typical Russell fashion (that we love about him) said there are people worse off than him and he's had a great life.

Wow, absolutely sefless attitude just an unbelievably inspirational human being.

As others have said, just when we thought 2020 couldn't fling any more of the brown stuff at the world we cop this almighty kick in the guts with the dreadful news about Russell Ebert's health.
At the risk of sounding trite, if there is any man who at 70 plus could overcome a setback like this it would be him.

All the best Russell.

Why does this terrible news feel like it relates to family.
Because he is.
Our support, thoughts and prayers, are with him and his family.
Always.

Everyone has said it all. I just adored watching him play in the '70's/'80's. What a legend! I see the survival statistic is about 28%. Age not withstanding, his general health, fitness, and clean living, would potentially have him in that group.

C'mon & beat this Russ.

This is the story I mentioned in my previous post. Its from the 28th. Don't know if it will be used on Russell.

More than 1,000 patients with an incurable type of blood cancer are expected to benefit from a "completely new" treatment that will be subsidised by the Federal Government in the new year.

Darzalex, which will be listed on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) from January 1, is a medicine used to treat multiple myeloma, a cancer that causes cancerous plasma cells to accumulate in bone marrow and crowd out healthy blood cells.

An estimated 18,000 to 20,000 people are living with multiple myeloma and about 1,000 die with it each year, Myeloma Australia chief executive Steve Roach said.

Miles Prince, the director of molecular oncology and cancer immunology at Epworth Health Care, said treatment options for the cancer had been "quite limited".

But he described Darzalex as a "new drug acting in a completely new way" that could allow patients to go for years before needing further treatment.

"For the first time we see amazingly deep responses, for the first time the patient's disease almost disappears — and I emphasise the word almost because it will come back," he said.

"But the deeper we get that response, the longer it lasts for.

"So it becomes actually undetectable for quite some time, and it's the first time we're seeing responses where we just cannot see the myeloma at all. It does come back, but it takes a long time."

Multiple myeloma is similar to leukemia in that it affects blood cells, but is a different disease.
Darzalex is is the monoclonal antibody daratumumab.
It will be worth a shot for AML. Seemingly a good candidate combo with it is all trans retinoic acid. But still in early evaluation stages:

"Daratumumab significantly reduces tumor burden in acute myeloid leukemia (AML) or T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia (T-ALL) patient derived xenograft (PDX) mice models."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry to hear this everyone.

Mods delete if not appropriate.

I didn’t hear the news yesterday, so I was a bit surprised when I saw him in the chair next to me at my treatment this morning!

So I guess I can confirm he’s already getting treatment, he’s well-dressed, the head nurse didn’t know/pretended not to know who he was, Mrs Ebert is with him.

Considering this place isn’t exactly a barrel of laughs, he seems in pretty good spirits. I suspect he’s tougher than the statue they made of him!

Bloody hell out of all the photos of Russell in club colours Capel chooses one from 10 years ago in what was possibly the worst season in our history. Classy.
That is the sub editors job, not the journo's. maybe that was the last time Russel deemed it worthy to talk to them

Last edited:
That is th sub editors job, not the journo's. maybe that was the last time Russel deemed it worthy to talk to them

Does that job even exist anymore? If it wasn’t The Advertiser I wouldn’t think anything of it. Anyway I’ll leave it there, much more important things to be discussed ITT.

Sorry to hear this everyone.

Mods delete if not appropriate.

I didn’t hear the news yesterday, so I was a bit surprised when I saw him in the chair next to me at my treatment this morning!

So I guess I can confirm he’s already getting treatment, he’s well-dressed, the head nurse didn’t know/pretended not to know who he was, Mrs Ebert is with him.

Considering this place isn’t exactly a barrel of laughs, he seems in pretty good spirits. I suspect he’s tougher than the statue they made of him!
I'm surprised he hasn't been admitted? When I was diagnosed I was admitted straight away for 6wks didn't even get a chance to Tie up loose ends.
This was 5 yrs ago I know everyday they are finding better treatments.
Hopefully they found it early I was stupid ignored the signs for wks . Also hope you win your battle M8 when it comes to things like this doesn't bloody matter who you support 👍

Thanks for your post.
I agree, he is tougher than the statue made of him ...... I've got a feeling so are you 👍.
Sincere best wishes to you for a full and speedy recovery.

Does that job even exist anymore? If it wasn’t The Advertiser I wouldn’t think anything of it. Anyway I’ll leave it there, much more important things to be discussed ITT.
Of course they do. Someone has to design and arrange each page of the paper. Journo's write stories and submit them, they have no idea what the page their story appears on will look like. Front pages tend to be controlled by the editor. Fairfax at one point moved their sub editors work to NZ to save money, but stopped doing that after a year or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back