Let’s get on with the game

Remove this Banner Ad

davo999

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Aldinga Beach
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Too much coach stuff . We’ve got a good first part of the year going on. My mind isn’t thinking about coaches , I’m thinking about the team and how we can push as far as possible this year .
we do have those two weaknesses , ruck and key back but apart from that got a good team that’s building confidence weekly at present , our midfield is great , the defence is good apart from the one extra tall and the forward line is good .
Giving Ollie Lord a few games has been a bonus and Williams has fitted in seamlessly.
Like to get Burgoyne back in at some stage and later in the year Sinn and possibly Jackson and Visentini, when you think about it we’re in quite good shape .
Let the coaching stuff sort itself out

Sorry, this regime has killed my passion for the club and the desire to win.
Did not get on the edge of any seat last Friday night, moreso feelings of "meh".

Yes. My feelings on friday night in the dying stages were, i wanted Port to win, but if Melbourne won i wasn't losing any sleep. It felt a lot like when you watch a game between two neutrals, and you choose a side you want to see win more than the other.

Did not get on the edge of any seat last Friday night, moreso feelings of "meh".
I just hate how we don't just take charge and WIN games, we end up relying a bit on luck instead. We got ahead late, but coughed up a goal to lose the lead, and even after that we allowed Petracca to run onto a ball inside 50 as well as Frisch, both had opportunities to bury us that we survived. When push comes to shove, we constantly let our opponents in and have chances to win. Same happened against Sydney, control the last quarter, get in front and cough up a go ahead goal, peg it back, only to then cough up another game winning shot. Again against Essendon we conceeded a match tying shot.

It's all mental application and the switches our boys flick or don't.

Same again when it comes to goal kicking, choking in key moments, or taking it far too easy and blowing chances at key times.

Just hoping and praying they build up that level of confidence and arrogance to start delivering in those moments and not relying on luck.

Was sure this thread was going to be about goal reviews.
Like I told my mate who complains about them.

They are literally sponsored, there will be a minimum number per game regardless.

Yeah imma have to agree with the OP

We get it, Ken has underachieved and been here too long and blah blah blah. There's a dedicated thread for discussion about the coach and his situation.

But people keep talking about him on non-Ken related threads. To the point where this entire club forum is obsessed with it.

Yeah imma have to agree with the OP

We get it, Ken has underachieved and been here too long and blah blah blah. There's a dedicated thread for discussion about the coach and his situation.

But people keep talking about him on non-Ken related threads. To the point where this entire club forum is obsessed with it.
Imagine fans being obsessed with their teams inability to win flags!

Madness!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We all want to win flags, especially me, but does that mean it has to be the underlying topic of every thread?

It's like having to do a religious prayer every time you walk into a different room.

The Ken talk in every thread is a symptom of the problem. We will continue to experience the symptoms until the problem is gone.

I'm really enjoying the way we have been playing since the Showdown. There's a hard edge to us that I happily attribute to Josh Carr.

We have picked up our defensive intensity and even with injuries and our deficiencies in a couple of areas, we have played good strong football and won a host of tight games. Not great for the digestion, but a very satisfying feeling at the end!

The Melbourne game was a big one for me. We went hard at them with our patchwork quilt forward line, Lord was a huge influence, Lycett went into battle in the ruck and even the much-maligned Tommy Jonas is back playing on the edge.

The youngsters have been a revelation, Butters, Rozee, JHF we knew about, although Butters has reached a stratospheric level I was not anticipating. Maybe we send Ollie Lord off the Red Bull training camp at the end of this year! Dylan Williams has been astoundingly good, plays with a hard edge, confidence bordering on arrogance and his kick is a weapon. Our ability to open up a game with killer kicks from defence is mouth-watering. So disappointed to see Duursma injured as he was getting back to his best. You can see the difference when he is out.

Even the Magpies (do we still call them that?) in the sanfl have hit some form. They showed some exciting patches of form in the game against South that I went to. When they were on they kicked goals from a range of sources and when they weren't traveling well (mainly due to lopsided umpiring) they hung in and didn't get blown away.

Jones is starting to look cleaner with the ball and his attack on the play is ferocious, Jackson has jumped out of the box this year, Visentini is developing in ruck, McCallum is showing good signs as a mobile tall defender. Even the top up players are doing their part, in some cases above and beyond.

Richmond is another big test, I'm not as worried about the change in coach for them as some, as they're not losing a coach they are glad to see the back of. Their players were tight with Dimma, they had achieved so much together. It's just as possible they will have a let down with him leaving so suddenly. Either way, these effects count for about a couple of minutes and then it's just another game of football. And Richmond won't chage the way they play, so we can prepare as usual..

Just like most of you, I want Ken gone as well. But how anyone could have been at that game Friday night and not get caught up in the tension and then excitement when we won, I cannot understand. Hinkley was the last person I thought of, it was all about the players and supporters. Maybe if you’re watching at home on TV it's different, I don’t know.

Too much coach stuff . We’ve got a good first part of the year going on. My mind isn’t thinking about coaches , I’m thinking about the team and how we can push as far as possible this year .
we do have those two weaknesses , ruck and key back but apart from that got a good team that’s building confidence weekly at present , our midfield is great , the defence is good apart from the one extra tall and the forward line is good .
Giving Ollie Lord a few games has been a bonus and Williams has fitted in seamlessly.
Like to get Burgoyne back in at some stage and later in the year Sinn and possibly Jackson and Visentini, when you think about it we’re in quite good shape .
Let the coaching stuff sort itself out
The reason there is so much off field discussion is that the on field stuff is just in a holding pattern while we keep winning.

There is nothing to prove until finals unless we drop off a cliff.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Other than the ruck situation and that I feel we will still get found out against sides with more than 1 quality key forward, the one issue i would like to see us improve on is putting sides to the sword. The ESS, STK and MEL games had no right to be close and we should have made more of our dominance.

Just like most of you, I want Ken gone as well. But how anyone could have been at that game Friday night and not get caught up in the tension and then excitement when we won, I cannot understand. Hinkley was the last person I thought of, it was all about the players and supporters. Maybe if you’re watching at home on TV it's different, I don’t know.

I Agree.
I reckon theres a bit of 'like' chasing in threads like these with people trying to tell us there stories of how and why they were disinterested they were in the result.

I took a neutral along over from interstate for work to show a game in Adelaide and he was raving about the contest - it was a great game of footy. We played well, won the coaching battle and overcame our injury/availability issues and showed grit when it counted.

We've got the makings of a midfeld that could be as good as any for years to come,that alone is worth a watch.

Other than the ruck situation and that I feel we will still get found out against sides with more than 1 quality key forward, the one issue i would like to see us improve on is putting sides to the sword. The ESS, STK and MEL games had no right to be close and we should have made more of our dominance.
Yeah this is why our performance close games has such a big impact on our results. They are all close games and we let luck play too big a role.

Sorry any happiness about us winning is shunned as being delusional on this forum.
You must dismiss any positivity from all games. Negativity is encouraged with story’s of heartbreak thrown in to gain sympathy.

One week at a time. I can’t see more than one game in advance.

Yeah this is why our performance close games has such a big impact on our results. They are all close games and we let luck play too big a role.

They say the harder you work the luckier you get, and I think that in times gone by we would have dropped our heads when we got behind and not even be close enough at the end for luck to play a part.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back