Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

2. Two conferences - Vic and non-Vic. As much as I hate conferences, my preferred option considering the large number of teams impacted, and would mean only the already re-locating GWS would be in a 'hub' situation.
I would move GWS (when permitted by state governments) to either the NT or SA. The 6 non-vic sides would play amongst themeselves, with movements between their borders (WA, Qld and SA/NT) currently open. The 8 vic sides would play amongst themselves, meaning travel outside the state (bar a few Tasmanian matches - which can be scrapped if border restrictions come in between Vic and Tas) is not required, giving a better chance of completing a Home and Away season. Finals format? Top 3 from each conference - now that would mean the Non-Vic conference teams now have a better chance of making the finals, but that would be seen as a reward for having to travel at least 4-5 times, while the Vics do not.

Theory 2 is not perfect - and of course I'll be accused of Vic bias by Teen Wolf because that's TW's default setting - but it means teams (excluding GWS) will not have to go into a hub.
Btw, meant to add that I don't know how this wouldn't be the ideal solution, supposing the current restrictions remain in place.

That proposal involves changing the fixture where necessary and letting all players choose to participate, you don't understand my stance if you think I'm against that.
The likelihood is that Victoria may have to shut down again, especially if NSW keeps seeding the virus there.
In this case both your options would result in the end of the competition, or at least its lengthy delay. It would be better to move the AFLW hubs to SA or WA, which hasn’t had community spread for almost 9 months. WA would have crowds attending all games, pretty much like before CoVid. Or again take advantage of the Queensland government’s largesse if that still applies.
If all clubs are in Perth or Adelaide, then a similar format that occurred in the AFL in 2020, where games every 5 days or so could reduce the time away from regular jobs to under 6 weeks.
Victoria isn't shutting down, though. No need to implement a plan for an obstacle that doesn't actually exist.

Everybody knows that any border could still close and cities may yet shut down at some point, no medals awarded for figuring that out. But not everybody seems to realise that borders will also re-open etc. Delaying the season (if it comes to that) does not have to be a big deal.

Victoria isn't shutting down, though. No need to implement a plan for an obstacle that doesn't actually exist.

Everybody knows that any border could still close and cities may yet shut down at some point, no medals awarded for figuring that out. But not everybody seems to realise that borders will also re-open etc. Delaying the season (if it comes to that) does not have to be a big deal.

Victoria isn’t shutting down yet. You should certainly plan for an obstacle that doesn’t yet actually exist. So when it does, there is a plan, not just a reaction. Do you really think that if cases in Victoria increase, you won’t be going into another lockdown? I don’t think you’ll wait for a couple of weeks to implement it and end up with a couple of months extra lockdown at the other end.

Much better to be proactive and not reactive. Based on McGowan’s comments after the SA scare, I think WA would go into lockdown at the first sign of community spread, for a quick turnaround.

I’m pleased the Daily Telegraph quoted an AFL spokesperson stating their commitment to the competition. If that means they can delay a few weeks, that’d be fine.

Do you really think that if cases in Victoria increase, you won’t be going into another lockdown?
Do you really think that point is even being argued?
You should certainly plan for an obstacle that doesn’t yet actually exist.
Devising plans =/= implementing plans.

This notion that the AFL should "start" planning for obstacles, as if they haven't been doing that for months, is bizarre.

Do you really think that point is even being argued?
Victoria isn't shutting down, though.

Devising plans =/= implementing plans.

This notion that the AFL should "start" planning for obstacles, as if they haven't been doing that for months, is bizarre.
The AFL got lucky with the Queensland government bending over backwards for them in the men’s season. They also got lucky with the 24 hours notice they got to get out of Victoria. That may have cost the rest of the state a week or more in lockdown. That may not happen again.
The problem with this pandemic is that the data about transmission is always 2 weeks out of date by the time new cases are identified.

If the AFL is fine on taking risks they will aim to have hubs in Victoria again, and take the risk that the suppression tactics of nearby NSW doesn’t affect them. If they want to be sure the AFLW season is completed, they would hub the players in SA, WA or Tasmania. Queensland is also a risk but may be the compromise yet again.

The AFL got lucky with the Queensland government bending over backwards for them in the men’s season. They also got lucky with the 24 hours notice they got to get out of Victoria. That may have cost the rest of the state a week or more in lockdown. That may not happen again.
The problem with this pandemic is that the data about transmission is always 2 weeks out of date by the time new cases are identified.

If the AFL is fine on taking risks they will aim to have hubs in Victoria again, and take the risk that the suppression tactics of nearby NSW doesn’t affect them. If they want to be sure the AFLW season is completed, they would hub the players in SA, WA or Tasmania. Queensland is also a risk but may be the compromise yet again.
Luck had nothing to do with it, the men's season was completed because the AFL were determined to complete it. When (not before) obstacles arose, they implemented relevant plans to overcome such obstacles. That's not risk-taking, it's simply staying calm and dealing with the situation at hand (rather than hypotheticals).

Also, "isn't shutting down" is a statement about the present. It doesn't mean "never shutting down" and that should be obvious, given I went on to say this:
Everybody knows that any border could still close and cities may yet shut down at some point, no medals awarded for figuring that out.

I reckon there's a fair chance this season will be postponed or cancelled.
I wouldnt be shocked at all
No organisation or state in this country has filled me with confidence if things hit the fan.

Charlotte Wilson (born 29 Dec 2000) might've been a tough one to ever beat* if she had debuted in round 1 of 2019 rather than round 5. *Notwithstanding future fixture changes, and the inevitability of eventually a player joining the league who was born on NYE (well, there already is one in Gemma Houghton, but you know what I mean).

I think the current "leaderboard" is this:

Erin McKinnon - 18y 51d (born 15 Dec 1998, debuted R1 2017)
Nina Morrison - 18y 51d (born 13 Dec 2000, debuted R1 2019)

Sophie van de Heuvel - 18y 54d (born 10 Dec 2000, debuted R1 2019)
Isabella Ayre - 18y 56d (born 9 Dec 1998, debuted R1 2017)
Monique Conti - 18y 57d (born 9 Dec 1999, debuted R1 2018)
It's looking like Daisy D'Arcy will break the youngest AFLW player record next week. She will be 18 years and 49 days old when the Suns play round 1. Here is a quote from Sarah Perkins after the practice match over the weekend which suggest she will debut next week:
"It was probably some of our younger girls who really stood out for me. Daisy D'Arcy played really well off half-back, Lucy Single got a good run in the midfield, Lauren Bella put some of her ruck craft to work and Jade Pregelj and Loz Ahrens set the standard in defence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footage of the incident in the link on the second tweet - looks relatively innocuous, but also shows just how easy a serious injury can occur from front of contact when a player has their head over the ball

That kind of injury was always a possibility when the AFL changed the rule, because players now have to remain on their feet, it leaves their head exposed and vulnerable to a bump from either side and from the front.

3 weeks for that, especially with how many less games the women play, is a ******* joke - there is no other way to say it

don't worry kids, lead in with your head and hit another player like a peanut and there is no onus to protect yourself

also shows the problem with bringing in players from other sports en masse

she should have gained possession of that ball while rotating to her right so that her hips/side take the impact from Marinoff

Bright side for Adelaide is their forwards now have a chance of marking the footy in the first 3 rounds.

Stack was stationary when gathering the ball and getting collected high, did nothing wrong. Marinoff initiated the contact, has to go for it, though I was expecting 2 weeks max.

Stack conrtibutes to the incident through her inexperience, but (through the poor video angle) Marinoff seems to clumsly swing her arm into contacting the head.

Fair I think is a free kick and a fine. One week at the max.

Stack conrtibutes to the incident through her inexperience, but (through the poor video angle) Marinoff seems to clumsly swing her arm into contacting the head.

Fair I think is a free kick and a fine. One week at the max.

From the angle on the vision it looks mostly like Marinoff was clumsy but didn't appear to be any kind of force or deliberate bumping action.

Seems like they've looked at the outcome and decided on the penalty, rather than the actions of Marinoff.

Clumsy and high is a free kick, maybe a week off or a fine. If it was the AFL we've have 38 different angles of the incident.

The Burton hit on Higgins a few years back was significantly worse in terms of the action the player (Burton) took, and only attracted a fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back