Training Training thread - news and live reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think he needs to be taught how to beat his man for the footy or see the game unfold from the backline, but playing an intercept / quarterback type role and setting up attack from our defence isn't something he's spent his career doing

It's a HELL of a lot easier than playing as a midfielder or a forward mate, and JZ is a genuinely smart footballer. He has basically played the role of the conductor of the forward line.

It's a HELL of a lot easier than playing as a midfielder or a forward mate, and JZ is a genuinely smart footballer.
Agreed, probably the simplest position for a natural footballer to play. I called for Jack to be trialled in this position when Firrito retired, and again when Scooter hung them up.

I'm backing him in to have a good year in the backline and hold the position until someone rips it out of his hands

If he doesn’t need to be trained as a defender, why are they literally training him as a defender in pre-season training?

In general, AFL players who have knocked up ~50 games have the individual aspects down pat, it's the implementation of the overall working of the 18 on the field that requires focused drill work. The instinctive flow.

Noble saw how well Hodgie did this even in his last year or so when he was slow as.
No one questions Jack’s leadership, courage and tenacity so chances are good he’ll be a general back there.
I also hope he becomes a grumpy campaigner in his last year or so just like Kingy was - people will know he’s around that’s for sure.

In general, AFL players who have knocked up ~50 games have the individual aspects down pat, it's the implementation of the overall working of the 18 on the field that requires focused drill work. The instinctive flow.
He needs time to master the ‘defensive structures’ that coaches & players are always banging on about. The back 6-7 work as a team unit, covering opposition players & plugging space, it’s not a matter of simply ‘beating your man’ like it once was...
He will need time to learn to play in unison with our backman, but he is better equipped than most on our list to pick this up pretty quick.
I’m keen to see how it pans out

Agreed, probably the simplest position for a natural footballer to play. I called for Jack to be trialled in this position when Firrito retired, and again when Scooter hung them up.

I'm backing him in to have a good year in the backline and hold the position until someone rips it out of his hands

One of the issues I have with Jack playing back is that he is a see ball /get ball player.
Can he temper his attack on the ball/man when he doesn’t need to go.
Playing back is more about smarts than than skills/ athletic ability.
Will be intriguing how he goes.

I don't know why you even bothered to answer such a ridiculous question.

A comparison between Ziebell as a loose defender & Tarrant and Corr clearly highlights a significant level of football ignorance.
You idiot. He’s not comparing them as loose defenders, he’s comparing them as an on field instructor for the young kids. If you think Hodges role was just as a loose defender then it shows your complete lack of understanding for MODERN day football.

Thing is we arguably need ziebell leadership and marking power more forward
I agree. But if everyone can rotate thru the forward and backline then I like it even more. We have enough talented medium size players to have them play forward back or somewhere in the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know why you even bothered to answer such a ridiculous question.

A comparison between Ziebell as a loose defender & Tarrant and Corr clearly highlights a significant level of football ignorance.
If you read it in full, they compared him to Hodge who coached/played to help the young defenders. Is there a need for that with Taz and Corr there?
Instead of looking to sound like a bias miserable old git, how about contributing something worth while.

Reminds me of the day Keith Greig, our greatest ever wingman, was switched to the HBF in his twilight years. Most couldn’t believe it at the time but he adapted and was a bloody good HBF’er, no doubt extending his career by making the move so successfully.

He needs time to master the ‘defensive structures’ that coaches & players are always banging on about. The back 6-7 work as a team unit, covering opposition players & plugging space, it’s not a matter of simply ‘beating your man’ like it once was...
He will need time to learn to play in unison with our backman, but he is better equipped than most on our list to pick this up pretty quick.
I’m keen to see how it pans out
Yes the game has developed over the years, it's no longer a case of show up to training run a couple of drills, hit the piss then show up Saturday. It's more structured, there's more sciences and offensive/defensive structure.

Noble saw how well Hodgie did this even in his last year or so when he was slow as.
No one questions Jack’s leadership, courage and tenacity so chances are good he’ll be a general back there.
I also hope he becomes a grumpy campaigner in his last year or so just like Kingy was - people will know he’s around that’s for sure.

Can you imagine what's going to happen when some opposition player is coming back with the flight of the ball, and Jack is coming the other way?

Reminds me of the day Keith Greig, our greatest ever wingman, was switched to the HBF in his twilight years. Most couldn’t believe it at the time but he adapted and was a bloody good HBF’er, no doubt extending his career by making the move so successfully.

If memory serves I think he went on to represent Victoria in that position.

Schimma also went back there.

So JZ is the anointed Jmac replacement
The completely obvious difficulty in comparison with Greig and Schimma is Pace, quickness off the mark
The team has a glaring weakness with defending quick small forwards, JZ ain’t going to fix that
Hopefully we can restructure the backline to use his undoubted skills but it is risky
Wright was a good footballer but slow
Jmac tried hard but too slow
And Hodge had hand and feet skills, let alone a footy brain, that JZ is not about to suddenly develop at 30
Plenty of reasons to be extremely sceptical of this succeeding

So JZ is the anointed Jmac replacement
The completely obvious difficulty in comparison with Greig and Schimma is Pace, quickness off the mark
The team has a glaring weakness with defending quick small forwards, JZ ain’t going to fix that
Hopefully we can restructure the backline to use his undoubted skills but it is risky
Wright was a good footballer but slow
Jmac tried hard but too slow
And Hodge had hand and feet skills, let alone a footy brain, that JZ is not about to suddenly develop at 30
Plenty of reasons to be extremely sceptical of this succeeding

I can't help but think this is more a solution to do something with JZ than driven by team needs. After he was pushed out of the midfield due to his lack of pace and battered body the role as a third marking forward target seemed like a great fit until his kicking fell in a heap and he went from being one of the best set shots at goal in the league to one of the worst.
Reports that he is looking slimmed down and fit are encouraging but it is possible he will struggle to stay in our best 22 this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back