Prediction What happens next? - Collingwood after Ed

Do you reckon it will be good thing or a bad thing that will be no succession plan now?

• Bad thing - if we could have had an orderly handover, that would have been best for the club

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • Good thing - clean slate, new beginnings

Votes: 50 75.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Only a handful of left wing causes
1. Racism
2. Indigenous and other black peoples
3. LGBTQI
4. Refugees
5. Women
6. Climate change

The environment was once seen as a left wing cause, but is now considered very mainstream. Indigenous and women have been very mainstream issues for a very long time (suffrage movement, 1967 referendum result), and whilst the left have been striving to advance them further, they’ve been following across to the mainstream. Racism has more recently become mainstream. Sure, racists around the world are probably more inclined to vote right wing, but you can’t say that all right wing voters are racist. Climate change is now mainstream and probably has been for a few years ... Climate Change action was a policy of Kevin ‘07, and he can hardly be labelled as an extreme lefty. The “LG” part of “LGBTQAI+” is now mainstream since the SSM referendum and the rest of the acronym are slowly following.

‘Refugees‘ is probably the only item on that list that is currently tied to left wing identity.

1. Racism
3. LGBTQI
4. Refugees
5. Women
6. Climate change
Only have to read left wing publications to see 80-90% of their articles only cover these 6 or so topics... so whilst these are all legitimate social issues, the left wing obsessions (near religious fixation) with them over anything else makes them a leftwing cause

Sometimes the left wing publications will delve more broadly into other social issues e.g suicide... but only indigenous suicide rates. Family violence... but only women’s experiences of it. Religious intolerance... but only Muslims experience of it

Plenty of social issues and disadvantaged groups out there but lefties only really focus on their set menu of disadvantaged identities and climate change. A lot of this has to do with academia, the influence of activists and the old Marxist battle lines that ran contrary to Conservative positions on family, sexuality, race, religion, nationhood, etc

It's a vicious circle though and there is not really an agenda driving it - other than profit from online advertising. If the media run stories on any other social issues, nobody clicks on it becasue they don't know enough about it already to be interested enough to read it. Thus, they keep running stories on the same issues - same goes with the angles given to the story. What we click on controls the stories and the angles taken. Throw in social media algorithms feeding us similar stories with similar angles and then they become the only stories and only angles that we think matter. They become our undoubted truth. Voila! A righteous mob is formed. And the same thing is occurring on both sides of politics, with division and righteousness becoming entrenched.

There's people who try really hard to trick the algorithms, so that they get pushed a balanced diet of media. But the algorithms tend to win out in the end and work out what your taste is and subtly shift you further. And it's s**t, but there is no real agenda that drives it all - the only driving agenda is profit.

I hope the first action of the incoming president is to appoint McGuire as an offical club patron. It's largely a ceremonial title, but it would be a fitting way of acknowledging McGuire's enormous contribution to our club.

I'd also like to see a club award named after McGuire in time too; perhaps one of the AFWL best and fairest trophies (it doesn't have to be the winner) or a services to the community award?

I hope the first action of the incoming president is to appoint McGuire as an offical club patron. It's largely a ceremonial title, but it would be a fitting way of acknowledging McGuire's enormous contribution to our club.

I'd also like to see a club award named after McGuire in time too; perhaps one of the AFWL best and fairest trophies (it doesn't have to be the winner) or a services to the community award?
Racists shouldn’t be named club patron or have awards named after them.

1. Racism
3. LGBTQI
4. Refugees
5. Women
6. Climate change
Only have to read left wing publications to see 80-90% of their articles only cover these 6 or so topics... so whilst these are all legitimate social issues, the left wing obsessions (near religious fixation) with them over anything else makes them a leftwing cause

Sometimes the left wing publications will delve more broadly into other social issues e.g suicide... but only indigenous suicide rates. Family violence... but only women’s experiences of it. Religious intolerance... but only Muslims experience of it

Plenty of social issues and disadvantaged groups out there but lefties only really focus on their set menu of disadvantaged identities and climate change. A lot of this has to do with academia, the influence of activists and the old Marxist battle lines that ran contrary to Conservative positions on family, sexuality, race, religion, nationhood, etc

Like Ed you clearly don’t get it!

All six of those are not left wing causes they’re simply societal norms in 2021 and the only people not in support of them are racist nuffies. What makes your assessment that they’re left wing is that the neutral and right wing aren’t as focussed on them.

For instance I’m a swing voter the government of the day makes no difference to me in my daily life, I support both sides depending on the details and I’m 100% behind all 6 of those causes because they’re just societal norms that we should all be in support of.

No they shouldn't, but while McGuire has made more than his share of gaffs he isn't a racist.
You don’t think the comments he made about Adam Goodes weren’t racist? Wow.

Eddie McGuire’s name will be forever associated with racism at our club. The worst thing the club can do is draw more attention to it.

Make him a life member but that’s all. Definitely no awards named after him. McGuire made misogynistic comment in the past and you want to name an AFLW honour in his name. Ridiculous.

Last edited:
Well it looks like CGU have pulled $1M from your club in 2021 and will redirect it to funding indigenous programs..

What a joke. This PC virtue signalling is out of control. Stuff CGU.

Even I have sympathy for your club today.

Yeah, the ABC have been going very hard. And much of it has been quite unreasonable.

One report went along the lines of ...

“... and Ed went on and on and on about all the things he’s done , even about LGBTQIA+ stuff and dunno what that’s got to do with anything ...”

... stuff ...

“... anyway, hopefully Collingwood becomes a place that is inclusive, not just on the basis of race, but issues like LGBTQI+ as well”

Another report had a crack at him for deigning to list his social achievements ... and pointing out how incongruent they were with what has gone down over the last few weeks. Well, yeah, what did they expect him to do, confess to being a secret KKK member for the last 23 years?
The ABC have become a disgrace in the way they take up positions now - maybe they feel they need to counter the others, but I don't like it from the public purse. Whilst not so much positional, an example of ridiculous writing was a Tracy Holmes article on Joel Wilkinson suggesting he was an almighty talent. This was a special line,

""Footy nous" can be learned. Athletic skill and ability, such as Wilkinson's, is the jewel in the crown recruiters from any sport look for."

Racists shouldn’t be named club patron or have awards named after them.

My guess is that the ‘racist’ tag won’t stick. He’ll probably do something like volunteer work in an aboriginal community for six months or something. He’s got connections and genuine credentials, so he’ll be accepted ... it’s not like he’s Andrew Bolt.

There’ll be a doco about it, etc, etc.

No, someone can make a racist comment or slur without being inherently racist. For mine the first can (not always) be an ill attempt at humour or a poor choice of words, while the second I see repeated and targeted actions driven by hate. McGuire's gaffs were never driven by hate, often they were a poor attempt for a laugh and a want to one of the boys, at other times like last week's media conference they lacked elocution.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All six of those are not left wing causes they’re simply societal norms in 2021 and the only people not in support of them are racist nuffies. What makes your assessment that they’re left wing is that the neutral and right wing aren’t as focussed on them.

For instance I’m a swing voter the government of the day makes no difference to me in my daily life, I support both sides depending on the details and I’m 100% behind all 6 of those causes because they’re just societal norms that we should all be in support of.
Society norms we all should be in support of?! I actually don't think you'd find widespread support for a couple of those issues - refugees are largely the preserve of the the left wing whose views are not reflected in government action and policy. I am not so sure that LGBTQI issues are as acceptable to the right wing as the left, though I do believe there has been a growing acceptance of the inevitability of change. Climate change has gained mileage among the general population largely as the result of the devastation of the bushfires and skyrocketing electricity costs. I would still see racism and acceptance of coloured minorities as issues gaining more traction with left leaning people. But to some extent I would agree that the issues have simply become societal norms. You can't fight change for ever, but where some have enthusiastically embraced it, others have reluctantly done so while continuing to mumble under their breath.

My guess is that the ‘racist’ tag won’t stick. He’ll probably do something like volunteer work in an aboriginal community for six months or something. He’s got connections and genuine credentials, so he’ll be accepted ... it’s not like he’s Andrew Bolt.

There’ll be a doco about it, etc, etc.
I doubt it. Eddie could of done that in 2003 but proved he learnt nothing from the Goodes debacle.

The ABC have become a disgrace in the way they take up positions now - maybe they feel they need to counter the others, but I don't like it from the public purse. Whilst not so much positional, an example of ridiculous writing was a Tracy Holmes article on Joel Wilkinson suggesting he was an almighty talent. This was a special line,

""Footy nous" can be learned. Athletic skill and ability, such as Wilkinson's, is the jewel in the crown recruiters from any sport look for."
I generally watch the 7.30 report but had to turn off the segment on Eddie's resignation last night. Their anti-Eddie bias and their unquestioning acceptance of the reasons for him being forced to stand down seemed very much out of line with the tradition of investigative journalism with which they have historically associated themselves. Some of their reporting is now way of the mark. A Four Corners show last year on the long term effects of the pandemic predicted all sorts of dire financial and societal consequences which even now are obviously far bleaker and more dystopian than the reality will ever be. I don't trust their journalism anymore. Too often it's becoming sensationalist and divisive rather than measured.

Society norms we all should be in support of?! I actually don't think you'd find widespread support for a couple of those issues - refugees are largely the preserve of the the left wing whose views are not reflected in government action and policy. I am not so sure that LGBTQI issues are as acceptable to the right wing as the left, though I do believe there has been a growing acceptance of the inevitability of change. Climate change has gained mileage among the general population largely as the result of the devastation of the bushfires and skyrocketing electricity costs. I would still see racism and acceptance of coloured minorities as issues gaining more traction with left leaning people. But to some extent I would agree that the issues have simply become societal norms. You can't fight change for ever, but where some have enthusiastically embraced it, others have reluctantly done so while continuing to mumble under their breath.

This isn’t really a discussion for this topic, but anyone who doesn’t currently see those as societal norms will be on the wrong side of history...

I didn't infer a suggestion that they weren't worthy causes - just that it was a narrow focus.

And I'm not sure what you think Ed doesn't get - except perhaps for the value of policies that are well written and followed - but pretty confident that he'd get that now too.

Why? What value do you think an aged lefty journo like him could bring to a board?
I don't know why your perceived views of his political beliefs are worth mentioning or so triggering for you, but I find him to be a breath of fresh air and despite having a media presence like Eddie did, certainly nowhere near as much of a blowhard - while still being a one-eyed Collingwood supporter.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

What about Religious Racism? How do you feel about Isreal Folau? He is being refused the opportunity to play NRL because of his Religious beliefs, do agree with the NRL? or are you just Selective in your anti Racism? If you believe that it's ok for a person to be villified because of his beliefs, then you are just a nuffie Selective SJW. You are not neutral, you are way left, the worst part is that you can't even see it

Personally wouldn't mind Barrie Cassidy getting a board position.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

No thank you to another journalist on the board. Given the delicate financial situation we currently find ourselves in someone with connections at the top end of town plus a demonstrable track record in promoting reconciliation would be my preference.

A starting point could be to reach out to the signatories of the open letter be it in a board or consultant capacity. Given it’s an open letter I find it strange we haven’t yet seen the list of who signed.

I’d also suggest removing the Holden signage immediately and open it up to indigenous service groups to apply for it. I would then match CGU’s $1m funding of toward race relations.

What about Religious Racism? How do you feel about Isreal Folau? He is being refused the opportunity to play NRL because of his Religious beliefs, do agree with the NRL? or are you just Selective in your anti Racism? If you believe that it's ok for a person to be villified because of his beliefs, then you are just a nuffie Selective SJW. You are not neutral, you are way left, the worst part is that you can't even see it

My views expressed in a BF post are now enough to place me in the left? Righto. I actually think it’s pathetic that you’ve twisted Falau’s actions into him being the victim. Next you’ll be telling us McGuire was as well or Court is a shining light. Religious racism 😂

Do people still use the phrase SJW unironically? Get out of 2016 my dude - and while I've got your attention I should break it to you that no one takes people who posts in the comment section of online Herald Sun articles seriously.

I didn't infer a suggestion that they weren't worthy causes - just that it was a narrow focus.

And I'm not sure what you think Ed doesn't get - except perhaps for the value of policies that are well written and followed - but pretty confident that he'd get that now too.

I quoted whiskeytown? Have you gone Pat Reed on us here?

I would suggest that his reminder yesterday that the review was “inspired by Black Lives Matter” and his comment that he’s a “lightning rod for vitriol” suggest that no he very clearly still doesn’t get it.

Back