Opinion New AFC HQ: Stalled Indefinitely

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpires actually train? You would expect their standard to be better if that was the case.

Be honest with yourself. If you make a mistake fix it. Interesting idea. I think deflection and “look a squirrel” is the AFL way.

You may see it differently, maybe I am the only one who thinks the Crows can encompass the history of the SANFL. I agree there is a difference between the direct history you are wedded to and the greater, rich football past of SA. As I recall, the Crows were hastily thrown together in response to the magpoos greater vision, and they were thrown together to represent the best of the SANFL at the time. I am older now so maybe I have distorted that.

Ergo, it seems to me like a natural progression to assume the mantle of the Aussie rules team for all South Australians, and embrace the (indirect) history that encompasses.

But I also believe Craig Bradley is the AFL games record holder, even though he was a mongpie. None of the other clubs in the AFL have discarded their pre AFL history, and I see no reason why the Crows (lor for that matter the Power) should either.
"magpoos"
"mongpies"
you sir are welcome here

View attachment 1059563

Certainly no 'empty green areas' near the city.
Good luck with setting up a training base in hyde park. Chelsea FC's (the closest premier league club to the area shown on your map) training base is 26km away outside greater London (just inside the M25 at Cobham)

it makes no sense to you, and there are no facts contained in your reply. And I have already mentiuoned maybe I am the only fan who thinks the crows can encompass the wider SANFL history as a nod to the SANFL greats of the past that deserve a place amongst any discussion on AFL history in general.

I initially mentioned suburban history in this context to show that the WCE have redeveloped a suburban ground for their home rather than Optus or some other greenfields site in the city, and it seems to work for them. I also noted that grounding the club in the suburbs is a good way of demonstrating "football first", as many of the alternatives I see listed are done so seemngly to end up with the flashiest possible surrounds?

The discussion surrounding history is perhaps a philosophical one for people without such fixed views as yours (not a dig), and in this case is just a distraction from the point I was trying to make.
I don’t think anyone born after about 1985 is really going to understand the SANFL history being important. You had to live through it. My mates had punch ups (me thinking “wow that escalated quickly” as I watched them rolling around on the ground), over the entry into AFL. If you say it means nothing you clearly don’t understand.

I don’t think anyone born after about 1985 is really going to understand the SANFL history being important. You had to live through it. My mates had punch ups (me thinking “wow that escalated quickly” as I watched them rolling around on the ground), over the entry into AFL. If you say it means nothing you clearly don’t understand.
I don't think anyone says it means nothing.

But it's not the history of the AFC

In no other city in the world would you have massive expanses of land surrounding every side of the city and then be forced to put your base at Thebarton oval. Anyone seen the size of Victoria Park and your telling me they couldn't build a facility next to an oval. Would be lucky to take up 10% of that land. The states motto should be "Status Quo." We really have no ******* clue here.
I have to agree with you about Vic Park. Driving past each day, the place is a bit of wasteland underutilised area, particularly around the Southern end.

But then again, Adelaide City Council and all.

Seems there are a couple of ways of looking at it, for me it's that the SANFL existed, we were created by the SANFL (individuals involved in that are part of our history), players/coaches came from the SANFL, tell that story, sure, but 30 years in, if you were writing a book it would be the introduction or the first chapter.

We have no claim to the SANFL's own history, their club's history or their player's history or records and no reason to honor individuals that had no connection to the Adelaide Football Club or were before our time.

And then perhaps some believe the AFC are a continuation or extension of the SANFL representing all things SA footy.

I don't think we've been that for a long time, and it's something that if you are going to do, it had to be from day 1 and every day after that, not just occasionally.

I just think that we cant complain that it doesn't feel like a "real" club, it's not authentic and everything else we hear on here from our own supporters and in the media, finally acknowledge that and work on fixing it, but then move to a new home ground and be ok with the stands and statues being named after people from 50 years before our existence and expect the players to buy in to our history and culture.

If you are going to create a home for the Adelaide Football Club, do it properly, the only thing I'm interested at Thebarton is the land.

If all we get is a corner of Thebarton Oval, and we don't get to put our stamp on the entire precinct (stands, statues, naming rights, the lot) I'm not sure it's going to achieve what a lot of people really want.

Last edited:
A split venue sounds like a disaster IMHO

Portions of the club operating in silos. Divisions across the organisation.

The next review following a disastrous season will headline that as a major reason as to why it doesn't feel like a unified club.

The next review following a disastrous season will headline that as a major reason as to why it doesn't feel like a unified club.
Totally agree. Division of sites leads to division amongst personnel, and fosters an us and them mentality.

The entry is definitively the history of the Crows. The fact that a state united to create us is an incredibly important part of history.

How are you imagining that they're splitting? Do you really think Denise from Finance needs to be on the same floor as Nicks' office?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The entry is definitively the history of the Crows. The fact that a state united to create us is an incredibly important part of history.
So you'd be happy having pictures of Glenelg, Sturt etc throughout our clubs new facility ??

And it was a very heated debate around it. The port Adelaide break away, the increased pilfering of SA players by VFL clubs that forced our hand. The team was basically a state team that took most of the remainder of the best players, instantly transferring the 40K weekly crowds going to the SANFL to the Crows. Leaving amateur league type numbers at the SANFL terraces.
The Crows have never drawn a crowd larger than a SANFL Final from the 60’s or 70’s.

How are you imagining that they're splitting? Do you really think Denise from Finance needs to be on the same floor as Nicks' office?
No but I'd say media and communications would need to be fairly close to the players/coaches who will be doing the communicating

List management would need to be fairly close to coaching staff and accounts

Does HR/welfare house themselves with the football staff/players or with the office staff? Or do we get ourselves two sets of them?

Totally agree. Division of sites leads to division amongst personnel, and fosters an us and them mentality.

I can see that maybe there are people that just don't have to be in the same building as the football team, sure. I guess I don't see the benefit of it though? Like what are we getting in return? More space? maybe...

But then where do you draw the line, you want the media team at the club so they can easily record content, does the video editor need to be there? Are they now strangers to each other if working on different sites? A lot of little things like that. You'd also have a group of people that have to be on both sites.

There was also mention that it would be opposite AO oval so we have a presence there, does that mean anything for supporters? As a member if I need to go to the club and ask a question, do I go to the city building or to the club? I'd rather go to the club I guess. Two Crowmanias? or just the one? Wouldn't the only reason to go for such a flashy new building next to AO be for supporters/public, otherwise surely something in a cheaper location is also fine?

Finally, why is Rucci pushing so hard for us to move into a corporate office building? As if it's the greatest idea ever? It would be another "Crows were born in a court room" type thing every time something went wrong, "the admin, the higher ups in their tower"... I don't know haha.

No but I'd say media and communications would need to be fairly close to the players/coaches who will be doing the communicating

List management would need to be fairly close to coaching staff and accounts

Does HR/welfare house themselves with the football staff/players or with the office staff? Or do we get ourselves two sets of them?
Half of out list management team don't even live in Adelaide, some say that's not an issue.... I'm not sure

Half of out list management team don't even live in Adelaide, some say that's not an issue.... I'm not sure
I can understand us having recruiting scouts scattered around the country. It's a necessity to see all the players.

Likewise if most player managers are Melbourne based then I guess it makes sense for us to have a presence there in terms of list management/contract negotiation.

However if we have a choice, which we do in this instance, then you'd surely house everyone together.

So you'd be happy having pictures of Glenelg, Sturt etc throughout our clubs new facility ??
It's a weird one.

Should we recognise the history of clubs who actively despise us and blame us for destroying their way of life?

At the same time if we move into Thebarton then there is history there that whoever follows inherits and has at least some responsibility - if not to uphold, at least not to erase.

If we want a brand spanking new AFC-history-only venue then we better find ourselves a greenfield site.

I can understand us having recruiting scouts scattered around the country. It's a necessity to see all the players.

Likewise if most player managers are Melbourne based then I guess it makes sense for us to have a presence there in terms of list management/contract negotiation.

However if we have a choice, which we do in this instance, then you'd surely house everyone together.
I would say so.

I mean clubs have done and still do what's been suggested but it's surely not the preferred option

It's a weird one.

Should we recognise the history of clubs who actively despise us and blame us for destroying their way of life?

At the same time if we move into Thebarton then there is history there that whoever follows inherits and has at least some responsibility - if not to uphold, at least not to erase.

If we want a brand spanking new AFC-history-only venue then we better find ourselves a greenfield site.
That's why I think keeping the grandstand and its name is a no brainer, but the Eagles themselves don't seem to give a rat's about Thebarton.

Tough one for sure, having our own brand new site looks like it's going to be a hard sell to outside parties.

Seems like Olsen is going to get us to spend a lot of money on pimping SANFL HQ.

If it's not handy to get to from AO it makes no sense to move right now.

A few ks over in the western suburbs serves literally no purpose to the AFC compared to the outlay.

I'm glad I am not the only one who thinks this.

People can disagree with me all they like, but this whole thing makes me think that Olsen's main priority revolves around getting that grant money into the SANFL's hands.

Any option that is to be split between two locations sounds less than ideal.

The whole point of this should be establishing a home our own. Not a compromised home that we share with with amateur footy at a location where the SANFL remains as our overlords.

The whole thing sounds completely ridiculous to me.

I would say so.

I mean clubs have done and still do what's been suggested but it's surely not the preferred option

I can understand that maybe a club wants to stay at their traditional home, but out grows it as the game gets bigger, ok lets move our non-football staff off site, and maybe this has happened with some of the clubs mentioned earlier.

But if you are packing everything up and going to your new home and if it provides you everything you want, surely the ideal situation would be keeping everything together AND having space to grow. Otherwise, why this sacrifice and what are we getting in return?

If we are going to Thebarton and there isn't room for the whole staff now, will there be room for football staff in 10 years time when the game is much bigger than it currently is?

The one thing I can think of is if our move is done in stages, maybe stage one is football and supporters, stage 2 admin and further development of stands and the precinct. Stage 3 in 10 years time maybe a partnership to redevelop the community centre, pool and whatever else to attract more funding.

I've seen other clubs announce decade long upgrades and plans so could be possible, but didn't get the sense our project was that ambitious after the latest lot of speculation and numbers thrown around in the media.

Back