What Would U Like See Against the Dees On Monday 8th March

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure what to take out of the game.
Mids had a party but I’d have expected no less given Viney, Oliver and to a lesser extent Brayshaw were missing.
we still had the issue of many poor F50 entries. Lever 7 uncontested marks and May 6, most intercepts.
I did like a slight change of role of Dunks who seems to be used as a defensive Mid. Both he and Libba certainly give us some grunt in there.
Interested from someone at game about Wally. He seemed on TV to be solely a defensive forward and not an attacking target. I know he didn’t have great numbers but sometimes roles can impact that but not your impact on game.
Finally, a bit surprised by the live Buku, sure he’s athletic but he can’t be jumping to punch like that and letting the pill get over the back. Definitely needs to work on his timing.

Finally, a bit surprised by the live Buku, sure he’s athletic but he can’t be jumping to punch like that and letting the pill get over the back. Definitely needs to work on his timing.

Agreed - we couldn't play Buku and Gardner in the same side (at present) if all they do is spoil, oppositions will react and place small forwards in positions both forward and back of the contest and make us pay dearly. Buku has much better distribution (on limited viewing to be fair), so hopefully he can adjust his game slightly. Good signs for a first hit out for him.

Just on this - they interviewed Wood during one of the breaks and he said they had forgotten about the different ball carry in Marvel - they train in windy conditions and were surprised (after 12 months away) how fall the ball travelled. It might explain our slightly poor ball distribution and defence (letting the ball get over the back) in the first half...

Naughtons goal kicking worries me. Not sure how effective he can be as the main man missing shots like he does.

Bruce, Schache and English and by the sound of it Jakarta are excellent shots at goal. On that metric alone the argument to play Naughton back for a season or two is strong.

Tbh Melbourne defensive set up is suited to stop players like Naughton
May and Lever love those long bombs in so they can crash the packs

Once we started to hit players on the lead, we started to break away
Yep and that's where forward planning comes in.In this scenario Naughton is being wasted.He should have been swapped to defence.And leading players playing forward.Every team has different set ups.Just have to be more versatile in forward planning.Play around Lever and May.Or Barass and McGovern.

Naughtons goal kicking worries me. Not sure how effective he can be as the main man missing shots like he does.

Bruce, Schache and English and by the sound of it Jakarta are excellent shots at goal. On that metric alone the argument to play Naughton back for a season or two is strong.
I disagree here. Naughton’s goalkicking has improved considerabley to the point where it’s a non issue for me. He kicked 15.6 last year.

Injuries and fit with Bruce are the much bigger concerns.

Lipinski was impressive with his hard running. Was collecting touches at both ends.

Bailey Williams looks set to be a star down back for us. Composed, balanced and powerful through the hips.
Lippi's delivery into the F50 is noticeably good. If you're a forward and look up he's one of the teammates you'd want to have the ball.
I didn't have him in my round 1 side a couple of weeks ago but he's simply demanded to be picked after two good pre-season games.

I think he can play the defensive winger role really well, he’s a great link up player through the middle of the ground and he’s super strong around the contest especially when he’s helping out in defence. Always provides an option coming out of defence and always works super hard. But yeah you want Lip up ahead of him delivering inside 50.

I like Hunter at half forward, even considering the terrible ball use. One of our biggest problems last year was that we let the opposition transition way too easily. Hunter always run two ways but that's easier to do on a wing than forward just because you're physically closer to the defensive 50. Hunter covered as much ground as he did usually but by having him start further up the ground it makes it easier for whoever replaces him on the wing to cover that ground as well, which pretty much gives us the extra player to congest our defence.

I think it's more realistic to get Hunter to make better decisions than to go back to someone like Richards and to get him to run better defensively and to get him to somehow find the ball 20 more times a game than he did. Hunter's use definitely improved in the second half as he took shorter options and looked to handball more which is part of the reason I think we scored much more heavily.

Lippi's delivery into the F50 is noticeably good. If you're a forward and look up he's one of the teammates you'd want to have the ball.
I didn't have him in my round 1 side a couple of weeks ago but he's simply demanded to be picked after two good pre-season games.
Or to put it another way, one i50 entry from Lipinski is worth about 4 or 5 random bombs from some of his teammates who I probably don’t need to name.

Just ponder the value of that in the course of a game.

His low pass to Bruce (who goaled from the mark) was a thing of beauty. Gave the defender no chance. And kicking 3 goals himself (without a miss?) was a great contribution.

I have been critical of Lipinski but there were great signs yesterday. He could be this year’s big improver, like Horse was last year.

It looks like Richards and JJ will both start the year out of the side. I’m ok with this, given some of their meek efforts last season. I wonder if this is also to do with the 75 interchange cap, and prioritising endurance over burst speed players?

Still worried about ground level in the front half. Pressure was ok down there yesterday, especially from West in the 3rd. Massive repeat efforts. But our inability to crumb goals still stands out a bit.

Crozier injury hurts. Very important player.

Anyone wanna have a crack at picking our best 22 for round 1? Assuming Naughton and Vandermeer are alright to play, I have no idea how we add Treloar to this side

(Log in to remove this ad.)

watching the replay now couldn’t see the game too well from level 1 at Marvel. Naughty started super hot early and the way we looked at moving the ball early was great taking it forward. Still not making the most of opportunities though that needs to change. God I *ing love West he needs to play every game. His attack on the man is just ridiculous and he’s so quick

Anyone wanna have a crack at picking our best 22 for round 1? Assuming Naughton and Vandermeer are alright to play, I have no idea how we add Treloar to this side
There's a 500+ post thread with people having a crack at naming our Round 1 side.

Now admittedly some of those go back to late 2020 but just in the last day there have been 8 more suggested sides that take into account yesterday's injuries and practice match form.

It'd be a pretty good place to start.

Concerning how easy Melb got it out of the back, they literally have one move, kick long out of defence. So obvious and simple, we just can’t afford to push as high any more, especially from kick ins. How many weeks will it take us to understand this? We move the ball so so well from defence to attack, we do not need to press so high

Up until half way through the 2nd qtr on the rewatch, only have 3 goals on the board but I’ve been super happy with how our forward half has worked. We’ve burnt a couple of miskicks going inside 50 and missing leading targets, missed about 3 sitters and hit the post 3 times. Should have 10 probably, let’s hopefully put that down to preseason rust 🤪 our pressure inside 50 on the ball carrier is much improved and there’s some sort of order to the way we’ve looked to enter inside 50 for the most part. Actually been very happy with the Naughty, Bruce and Timmy/Martin trio on a second watch here. Up on a hard task in May/Lever and all 3 being burnt at least once or twice each. Again it’s not gonna happen over night, it’s literally the first game we’ve played all 3 + Ruckman, let’s give it a chance...

Up until half way through the 2nd qtr on the rewatch, only have 3 goals on the board but I’ve been super happy with how our forward half has worked. We’ve burnt a couple of miskicks going inside 50 and missing leading targets, missed about 3 sitters and hit the post 3 times. Should have 10 probably, let’s hopefully put that down to preseason rust 🤪 our pressure inside 50 on the ball carrier is much improved and there’s some sort of order to the way we’ve looked to enter inside 50 for the most part. Actually been very happy with the Naughty, Bruce and Timmy/Martin trio on a second watch here. Up on a hard task in May/Lever and all 3 being burnt at least once or twice each. Again it’s not gonna happen over night, it’s literally the first game we’ve played all 3 + Ruckman, let’s give it a chance...
:rainbow:

This is an extract from Bevo's appraisal of Dunks game. I have bolded what maybe admission of why Josh wanted out. Not surprising for a lot of us that suspected the coach and player we not seeing eye to eye last season.

Josh Dunkley
32 disposals (20 contested), 11 tackles, eight clearances
“I thought Dunks was very good for us today- he impressed with some of the things he does extremely well. Dunks is a really critical part of our 22. As I have done in the past, I’ll continue to nurture both his and my relationship and his performance with the rest of our coaches. Josh has been an influential player for us, and like his teammates there’s still room to grow. That’s what we’re after with him – today is a really good step in the right direction for him. It gives him momentum into round one.”

I really think our defence is fine when there’s been a stoppage or we have time to set up. Our mediums are so good in the air Keath and Gardner aren’t usually getting beaten too badly with a bit of a chop out and we’re very good as soon as the balls at ground level (as long as we don’t let it get out the back inside 50 which we can tend to do)

we just get eaten alive in general play with players getting out the back of our press. It’s so obvious and it really is not a hard fix. Sort it out.

This is an extract from Bevo's appraisal of Dunks game. I have bolded what maybe admission of why Josh wanted out. Not surprising for a lot of us that suspected the coach and player we not seeing eye to eye last season.

Josh Dunkley
“I thought Dunks was very good for us today- he impressed with some of the things he does extremely well. Dunks is a really critical part of our 22. As I have done in the past, I’ll continue to nurture both his and my relationship and his performance with the rest of our coaches. Josh has been an influential player for us, and like his teammates there’s still room to grow. That’s what we’re after with him – today is a really good step in the right direction for him. It gives him momentum into round one.”
Seems positive?

Josh Dunkley

did you miss this bolded bit

Remove this Banner Ad

Back