Preview Round 3, 2021 : Hawks v Cats, Easter Monday 3:20pm @MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And we aren't going anywhere as a club by continually playing them, agree they'll both be in the 22 Monday though as much as I'd love to see something different.
You should maybe follow another club if you just want the coach to throw the towel in at Round 3 and strip the 22 of experience, so that we can “play the kids”.

You should maybe follow another club if you just want the coach to throw the towel in at Round 3 and strip the 22 of experience, so that we can “play the kids”.

I honestly don't believe we'd be any worse on field now if Lewis played at the expense of one of those 2 blokes mentioned for a start.

I honestly don't believe we'd be any worse on field now if Lewis played at the expense of one of those 2 blokes mentioned for a start.
That may be the case, but there was one far more ordinary performance from the tall forwards on the weekend than TOB and Ceglar and you’re giving him a free hit “because kid”.

That’s how clubs become really s**t.

Of course kids need a run at it?
Nah mate drop them after 2 games, that'll teach them.
So let’s forget that we have standards....let’s just play him again this week and hope he actually chases the defenders when the ball hits the deck after getting a rocket.

Forget that we send every other young player back to Box Hill to work on things that they need to improve, let’s just overlook how Kosi put in half-arse efforts to chase.

And while we’re at it, let’s drop experienced players who actually do that, even if they have 3 times as many pressure acts, because they’re over 27 and it’s Round 3.

It’s Round 3, we’re 1-1, and people want the match committee to just throw in the towel and play kids regardless of form.

If that’s not an example of what zero resilience looks like, I don’t know what is.

So let’s forget that we have standards....let’s just play him again this week and hope he actually chases the defenders when the ball hits the deck after getting a rocket.

Forget that we send every other young player back to Box Hill to work on things that they need to improve, let’s just overlook how Kosi put in half-arse efforts to chase.

And while we’re at it, let’s drop experienced players who actually do that, even if they have 3 times as many pressure acts, because they’re over 27 and it’s Round 3.
Should play Finn Kid because kid

TOB is made for the second ruck role.
His best string of games came when one of mcevoy or ceglar have been injured.
When he is able to lead, he is a far better player, and as the ruckman, he is able to find the space, rather than a role of just drawing defenders.
He is so much like schoenmakers it isn't even funny.
I miss defending Schoenberg on this board every week 🙁

Lewis and Kosi need to be given a chance to find their feet both individually and as a KPF duo. We need to find out whether they have what it takes to be our future pairing.

Ceglar or TOB need to make way. We have seen their best, we know they aren't the future.
Who plays the other 40% ruck? We know BB can’t do full duties anymore, we cant have Lewis in there for half a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Play Impey on the wing and have Wingard as the inside midfielder. That would instantly fix the lack of pace in the midfield.

With Jiath holding down a spot in defence and Hardwick as the other small defender is there really a need for Impey in defence?
Everyone wants to play our best half back runners on the wing for some reason each week.

The way footy is being played this year, games are being won or lost off half back, we need Impey there.

Further more, we’ve just had an entire off season where we read training report after training report where 4-5 other players have rotated thru the wing. It just isn’t gonna happen that we are gonna mess with these structures in round 3 and throw a defender there when we players like Downie raring to go.

Has to be:
BB + TO'B + Lewis; or,
Cegs + TO'B + Lewis.
Has this happened in any of the training or off season work? Seems to me they have been structurally working with BB and Cegs all year. Plus Cegs has been very good. Not sure why people want him dropped, ruck is the least of our worries.

Everyone wants to play our best half back runners on the wing for some reason each week.

The way footy is being played this year, games are being won or lost off half back, we need Impey there.

Further more, we’ve just had an entire off season where we read training report after training report where 4-5 other players have rotated thru the wing. It just isn’t gonna happen that we are gonna mess with these structures in round 3 and throw a defender there when we players like Downie raring to go.

The midfield is lacking some speed and skill. What other options do we have?

Has this happened in any of the training or off season work? Seems to me they have been structurally working with BB and Cegs all year. Plus Cegs has been very good. Not sure why people want him dropped, ruck is the least of our worries.
Not that I know of re: pre season. Seems ridiculous that we've not considered it though, given BB couldn't ruck last season & Cegs was injured most of the season (foot). I'd really hope we've considered the scenario whereby one might not be available...

Our Ruckmen have been good around the ground, but their ruckwork is pretty not good. That makes it a worry, especially when we play them in place of an additional midfielder or marking forward. If they were good: sure play two. If they're both average/bad... :shrug: You tell me how Stanley will compete against our 2x Rucks this week?

And I didn't say Cegs should be dropped - I provided two alternatives as to how the ruck work could be completed with only 1x recognised ruckman; one included Cegs without BB.

Ceglar has not been very good. But he hasn't been terrible either, which is more to the point. He's been serviceable so far.

Based on form TOB has to be dropped out of the two.

Last edited:
That may be the case, but there was one far more ordinary performance from the tall forwards on the weekend than TOB and Ceglar and you’re giving him a free hit “because kid”.

That’s how clubs become really sh*t.

That's also how clubs develop and actually improve.

Clubs move the older players that offer straight mediocrity out of the side for the younger players that could potentially offer more.

Let them try and find their feet.

This idea that just playing kids will ruin your team is overblown. I'd like someone to name all of the quality experienced players that Carlton, Melbourne and North (the examples that people use to justify this idea) just moved aside for the kids, which subsequently turned their teams to s**t.

They all had poor cultures and were poorly coached. Those were the biggest issues.

Last edited:
Hanrahan will lose his spot this week. If Wingard is fit, he plays, if not, Nash.

Lewis will come in as well, I don't know who for. If we were planning to rest Burgoyne, this would be an opportunity, don't reckon we'll be able to compete with Geelong.

It’s Round 3, we’re 1-1, and people want the match committee to just throw in the towel and play kids regardless of form.

If that’s not an example of what zero resilience looks like, I don’t know what is.

Not sure how dropping one perennially underperforming player in TOB (or Ceglar for that matter) for Lewis somehow equates to throwing in the towel.

Especially when one kid, Day, is already coming out of the side for a more experienced player in Scrimshaw, and yet another youngster in Hanrahan is likely to be dropped for a more experienced player in Wingard.

The Geelong backline will likely be fairly tall:

HBF - Stewart (190cm)
CHB - Blicavs (198cm)
HBF - Henry (192cm)

BP - Bews (186cm)
FB - Henderson (196cm)
BP - Kolo (193cm)

Rotating - O'Connor (191cm)
Rotating - Clark (185cm)
Rotating - Tuohy (187cm)

How can we exploit that? Will we just bomb it long ad nauseam like we typically do, or can we exploit it will some smalls? Our forward line is smaller in general.

That backline isn't particularly skillful but they are well drilled. Of all of the players we really need to make Stewart accountable. For that reason I'd probably prefer TOB over Ceglar, in order for him to make way for Lewis.

However I imagine someone like Henry or Kolo will account for TOB as they try to free up Stewart as much as possible.

HFF - TOB (193cm)
CHF - Kosi (196cm)
HFF - Moore (176cm)

FP - Brockman (181cm)
FF - Lewis (198cm)
FP - Breust (184cm)

Rotating - Wingard (183cm)
Rotating - Worpel (185cm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back