Review Round 3, 2021 - Collingwood vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched it on delay and just finished watching. My internet froze just before Bailey kicked it, I knew he had it. Got it back working and loved the win. Thought we played heaps better this week and what a great team performance. Too hard to pick 5. Go Lions!

I have a few comments.

It was obvious at the ground that Grundy was going to lay the ball where ever he wanted to at every ball up and throw in. Until about half was through the second quarter we didn't go man on man in the centre square and at all throw ins we had a spare man on the defensive side of the contest so Grundy merely gave it to the Collingwood spare on their defensive side. It was so infuriating to watch it happen time and time again from high in the stands.

Fages goes down to ground level and this may have meant he couldn't see what was happening. Several have queried his match day coaching and I think he erred in not manning up earlier. Once that happened (we were three goal down at that stage) COLLINGWOOD DIDN'T GET ANY MORE CHEAP KICKS.

Hodge explained this so well in commentary. According to him the choice was whether go man on man and make Grundy become more unpredictable or have that benefit of getting Ah Chee in defense as spare, while letting Grundy tap to the known avenue. It felt a bit like a cricket tactic, letting the player play his favorite shot but letting him have only a single to show for it.

Whatever we were using as tactic worked up to that point as we were down by 8 at half time and 8 again at 3 quarter. Hodgey also popped up in commentary later saying Collingwood have chosen to man up Ah Chee so we dont have that advantage in D50 anymore.
I watched Buckley's press conf just now, he lamented on lack of forward pressure from his side late in the game. Our tactic, as painful it may be to watch, was definitely working for us in some fashion.

Don't forget the Pies slept in their own beds!! That's a huge advantage!!!

For the first time in the history of the comp, the roles were reversed in 2020 in favor of an "interstate" team (us) but to hear the hysterical ranting coming out of some Melbourne media sources, we were somehow "disgraced" by not actually winning the Flag

What bollocks!

Having said that, it must be acknowledged that the effort by Richmond to win the bloody thing really was something.

Curse them.

Love the guy in the Lions jumper behind the goals standing at the front of the Pies cheer squad as Bailey kicks. His reaction is gold & courageous. Buy that man a beer.

We have been crying out for more depth in the midfield. Must play Dev every week, non negotiable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best thing about that win was the way we played. Lot less bombs into forward 50. We are learning that in 2021 you have to take the game on by foot or your dead in the water.

The other positive is that we made some poor decisions and mucked up many chances but still won.

I thought Ah Chee and Mitch Robbo stepped up when we were under significant pressure.

Play Robertson all year.
Let him have good and bad games learning around the Neale and Lyon types.
I thought he started a little jittery and off the pace (wouldn’t have played a game like this in 12 months to be fair) but he just got better and better.

We need another reliable pencilled in midfielder and he could be it.
Dev actually showed a bit in his first game last year and then Covid shut down the season and he never got another opportunity. A very low key pre-season this year, like he had almost dropped off the radar. So good to see him given another opportunity.

I thought Lyons was probably BOG for us and is probably leading our B&F right now. Has stepped up with Neale struggling a bit.

Loving Zorkos resurgence. Still doesn’t have the acceleration he once had but his kicking is as good as it’s ever been

I agree with what Buckley said in his presser last night and have for a long time ie. Hit outs is an irrelevant stat. Also hit outs to advantage not much better.

Hit outs 54-4, hit outs to advantage 21-1 :eek: unless the hit to advantage is to a player in the clear running away(which happened 2-3 times last night) they don't correlate to an advantage either, the opposition mids cover him and he is swamped in a tackle or a turnover is forced.

Time to ditch the hit out stat.

Zac has found his tooth and put it back in
He may be a bit young for an implant as the jaws are still growing relatively quickly at his age.

Patients lose their dentures all the time!!!

Watched the last quarter last night and am in the third quarter at 8.45 this morning.

Who has watched the replay already?

Go Lions

I agree with what Buckley said in his presser last night and have for a long time ie. Hit outs is an irrelevant stat. Also hit outs to advantage not much better.

Hit outs 54-4, hit outs to advantage 21-1 :eek: unless the hit to advantage is to a player in the clear running away(which happened 2-3 times last night) they don't correlate to an advantage either, the opposition mids cover him and he is swamped in a tackle or a turnover is forced.

Time to ditch the hit out stat.
I have never seen a 21-1 to advantage stat. Poor coaching to not man up at ball ups and thrown ins.

Yeah it’s pleasing that the AFL evened things out this week. Too bad it was Collingwood playing us this week who had to be on the receiving end of it.

Those morons think the umps won the game for us?!? 17 all is not the umps winning the game. They need to stop smoking crack, get a haircut and a job and talking out of their bumholes.

Back