Autopsy Round 3 Blues dominant as Harry kicks 7

Who played well in Round 3 vs the Dockers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Murphy very nearly had a second goal tonight. Had he nailed it, calls to drop him would be laughable. His leads are improving every week, he generally used the pill well (much better than his DE% suggests) and he had some dangerous I50 entries. He definitely lifted after a shocker of a first quarter.

To me, it looks like he's slowly building into this HFF role. He didn't spend anywhere near as much time chasing back inside D50 this week (but I guess that's partly due to the fact that we were flogging them), so he didn't empty his tank running aimlessly up and down the ground. This meant he was able to apply a bit more pressure up forward and his possessions were in areas where he could have more of an impact.

I'd take his 13 possession game this week over his 18 possession game last week any day. Keep in mind, he only had 71% TOG, so 13 disposals isn't bad for somebody playing zero time on ball.

I get people who say Dow needs more time, but for me, he's the one who goes out for Stocker/Kennedy, not Murph.

I still think he can pull off this transition from midfielder to full time small forward.
2.03 left in the 3rd qtr.

Murphy makes a tackle.

You could have knocked me over with a feather.

Kicking has never been Luke’s strongest point but he makes up for it with his general play. Didn’t manage to showcase his intercept marking but Jones was key in that area. Overall thought he had a solid debut and it probably turned out to be much easier than he would have imagined given the total dominance of the Blues right throughout the game. Hopefully he’s done enough to keep his spot next week.
he goes I go.........

The worst part about JSOS is the surname. Gets battered by clueless nuffies online simply because of his surname. The guy has smarts, skills, heart and gives it his all. I really hope he stays fit for the rest of the year and gives all the doubters a big F You by season’s end.

Given what happened with his dad and the club he could’ve easily gone into his shell and given up mentally but he’s stuck fat and showed real effort and heart! So good to see and am so happy for him! Hope he plays every week!

I don't like to change a winning side, but I think we should give Stocker a chance ahead of Dow
3 games is enough for Dow - he needs to go back to VFL to get some confidence

I would like Stocker to be given a chance, maybe a block of 3 games or so to see what he is made of :D

Agree with not changing a winning .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Given what happened with his dad and the club he could’ve easily gone into his shell and given up mentally but he’s stuck fat and showed real effort and heart! So good to see and am so happy for him! Hope he plays every week!

also want to add. Can SOS show some bloody emotion when his son kicks a goal!
looks like a miserable old man!
Compare that to Peter Daicos in the crowd cheering and high fiving mates when J Daicos kicks his goals.
get excited mate your sons playing a ripper of a game!

Really should start a new ongoing thread, "The week that was"

No one was missed, from dropping, sacking half the team, to the coaches, the board, this mystic winning/losing culture, to the "Dockers have gone past us"

Currently on the same wins as other rebuilding clubs in the Saunts and Lions, who started 2 years before us

Footy hey
Do you think you are getting a little ahead of yourself?? We beat an inexperienced and injury-riddled Fremantle. Before we run off holding hands and celebrating, let us get over GCS this week. They are no pushover and will offer more resistance than the meek Fremantle.

Do you think you are getting a little ahead of yourself?? We beat an inexperienced and injury-riddled Fremantle. Before we run off holding hands and celebrating, let us get over GCS this week. They are no pushover and will offer more resistance than the meek Fremantle.
don't worry, moods..........we'll be losing again soon............

Samo can't hide behind gameplan or position this year. There are rules in place to encourage corridor play - which should be his forte - and he's had a full season and two preseasons of development as part of our defensive unit.

So if this is the kind of game we can now expect from then we're fine. If he goes back into his shell for the next month then the same criticisms that have been levelled at him previously will be deserved. Same story as the team, really. One game when the spotlight is on is a far cry from becoming reliable.

I'm happy with today's performance as a whole. Though, without wanting to appear greedy, I feel we should have been 10 goals up at half time and even further ahead at the final siren, but still made costly mistakes and missed relatively easy opportunities.

Was also happy with Samo’s game today....was the first time I’ve seen Samo take the game on, take players on and run past players.

Looked like he was running on top of the ground for once.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The front runners will go missing when it gets all too hard. They tend to be the same people that stop the hard running and hard tackling when the opposition returns fire. Hope I am wrong, just seen this same scenario for the past decade.
there are times when I doubt the bolded............when negativity is your default, winning leaves you a bit adrift I reckon...........

Jones and Plowman can be hot and cold, but today each of them showed just how good they can be when things click.
Opposition teams will go back to isolating him. Clearly he should be given license to run free. When he is on, he is as effective as a Saad as he breaks lines.

maybe, but Big Nick's girth was 188cm, too.
Nichols was was always listed at 6'2' (about 188 cm) Judd at 6'3" (about 191cm) Nichols at his prime was a powerhouse who moved like a midfielder, could mark when resting forward and always dangerous around goals. Cite 6 goals in the '72 GF when he was in his 17th season.

My favourite Big Nic story was told by Len Thompson, who was 4 inches taller than Nick, and as a colt could really run. He tells of the first time he played against Carlton, against Nichols, and being too fast and tall for him, getting on top early. Then there was a boundary throw in. Nichols did as he usually did, and put his powerful frame into the front position, and as Thompson put it as the ball was thrown in ' He broke my nose with his right hand, and palmed the ball perfectly to Gallagher with his left". Thommo always tells this story with awe and respect.

Our intensity was up early...makes such a difference when we are physical and pressure the ball/player.

Parks - tick
Cottrell - tick

Interesting what happens when you play players in their correct position.

Parks is as natural a defender as you would see, small sample size, but seems to be your pure 3rd tall backman who knows when to go and when to stay on his man.

Cottrell's ability to get up and down the ground, at pace, is phenomenal. He got to so many contests and evened up the numbers - what a difference.

Would be filthy if either was dropped.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Also, we made a big effort to crush Brayshaw and Cerra today, especially with Fyfe out, absolutely loved that form of bullying lead by our Captain.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

I reckon it's something we should do every week...a lot of our best wins in recent years there's been a clear focus to be physical and 'get at' some of the oppositions best players.

Seems to really help us get in an aggressive, 'hunt them' kind of mindset our boys seem to need to play with intensity and with high defensive pressure, rather than going through the motions like the Collingwood game.

Last edited:
Back