List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Draft, Trade, Free Agency and Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The muppet also suggested we should have taken Allen and Naughton instead of Brayshaw and Cerra at 2 and 5 so not sure why he’s given anything other than a laugh in his face really.
Especially when West Coast should have taken Allen and Kelly instead of Brander and Allen.

That single choice to pick Brander at #13 instead of Allen cost the Eagles #14, #24, #37, pick #18 the following year for a couple of thirds back.

There's always a rebuild/injuries and even worse, an unpreparedness for the opposition next week that seem to lead to losses. Everything is always building but nothing is never built.
With the preparedness part, how much do you chop and change when preparing for a specific team without compromising your system?
You don’t want to go the cuddles route which can lead to the same inconsistency we’ve had this season and you certainly don’t want to go the Harvey route where you throw darts at a board and see what sticks.

I think JL is not as dogmatic as Lyon but it feels like he’s still trying to find that balance.

In the event that one of our young interstate players decides they want to leave, I do hope the list management team have been keeping a few $$$ squirrelled away for a tilt at one of the good WA kids playing interstate that are coming out of contract.
Just seems like a no brainer to me, our salary cap should be no where near maxed out.

I wouldn't drop massive picks or salary on a ruck period. If Grundy can butcher the Lions and the Pies still score less from stoppage then I think it's hard to argue for. That's not an outlier either. NicNat is the only ruck that I think you can warrant on ruckwork alone and they won a GF without him anyway.

Just need someone to compete, take the odd contested mark and get a few touches around the ground. Put the extra capital into other parts of the ground (hint: forwards).

If he wants to go, back Meek in and find another project.
Fyfe regularly has huge games in losing sides. Does that mean you don't pay big for mids?

Would actually rather persist with Meek and take the picks to the draft unless we can get a straight swap.
Agreed.....

If Darcy Leaves, That means Meek has to e the main ruck With lobb and Cox to pinch hit as 2nd rucks.

Saying that I am sure we can use a late pick or even a rookie pick for another ruckman. I dont expect another Sandilands to emerge from the rookie list again. I do expect getting another Jono Griffin, a solid WA B grade or C grade ruck that can give 100 % to the club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does sumich stuff even make the media. Must be a quiet week

Because he is mates with Basil Syphillis.

But on that wanting out news, Darcy doesnt want to be the number 1 ruck spot, he didnt weant it when Sandi was declining and he doesnt want it now. Problem is, he also doesnt want to play forward. Hes been soft since he did his PCL in 2018. Was stellar before that. And the Suns/Essendon would offer him a decent packet. So if that means playing Meek as the number 1 with Lobb pinch hitting in the forward 50 then I am ok with that.

And on Cerra, its getting the attention because Dockers reportedly offered him 5 years on a slightly backended deal, he apparently was willing to stay for 2 on that but I am pretty sure North/GWS/Suns/Melb will have salary cap to offer long term at higher front ended deal and his management will weigh that up.

I think the game will get to a point where someone like a Taberner/Treacy/Lobb will be the F75 ruck and Meek/Darcy/someone else?? will be the D75 ruck

And I still dont rate Cox at all though..... even as a pinch ruck. I dont know why he gets such a ramp up??

We weren't in full rebuild in 2016-2018. If we did we wouldn't have picked up Hill, McCarthy, Matera, Hamling, Kersten, Hogan, Wilson, Lobb, Colyer etc. Although a lot of these trades weren't massive, it was three consecutive years of shipping out a second rounder, two years of moving back our first rounder, one year of trading our first rounder, and multiple third round or fourth round picks. It adds up. It has impacted our depth.

It was unfortunate timing with our coach changeover - Lyon wanted to remain competitive so it was a half rebuild during those years.

Let's move on though. We're starting to build a good core group. We haven't f**ked it (yet). We need to replace our bottom 4-6 players and get a couple of proper forwards. Fingers crossed Treacy and Sturt get a good run at it this year. Hang in their boys (and girls). We'll get our time in the sun soon.
I dont care what anyone said, It was a full rebuild from 2016-18. If freo just went full youth and got 5-7 kids in each draft for the 2016-18 drafts, yes we would of picked up 15-21 kids in a 3 year period but we would of finished 2017 and 2018 with 3-6 wins. Even then it could of ended like Brisbanes rebuild of 2011-14 or Demons rebuild of 2007-9, getting a bunch of kids only for them to leave 2-4 years later. I refused to go through what we went through in 2016: 0-10 and end up with a 4-18 record and bottom 3. In some years a 4 win season equals a wooden spoon. Thats not what I want or what we stand for.

I didnt mind freos 2017 and 2018 seasons. Both years we finished 14th with 8 wins and 14 defeats. we got an away win or 2 in both those years. Things were done moderately and I saw some hope coming through. Only way I would of accepted a 16th placed finish again like we did in 2016 is that we got 6 or 7 wins.

In 2016 we got guys like Logue, Cox, Darcy, Ryan and Duman in the Draft.

We traded in McCarthy, Kersten, Brad Hill and Joel Hamling. We also got those 4 very cheaply too. I dont care what anyone said.... those 4 experienced blokes that were traded in did improve our team. Brad Hill won out Best and Fairest in 2017. Hamling had to be Traded in to eventually replace Zac Dawson or else it would of been an Ageing Michael Johnson and a few rookies as our tall defensive options.

We got McCarthy and Kerten in as the only other tall forwards were a young taberner and an Injury Prone Michael Apeness. So in my opinion I got no regrets bringing all those guys in.
We brought in mature age picks instead of hitting the draft hard, and picked the wrong players.

Colyer, Acres are c graders, and a waste of a list space.
Lobb is overrated, does not kick goals, and cost us too much in draft picks and salary for little output.
Hogan was a disaster

Aish and Conca are a pass at best.

We could have had picks 5 and 6 who were King and Rozee, but we ducked it up.

Imagine Cerra, King, Young, Rozee, Brayshaw and Serong but because we brought in mature age players and the wrong ones we are only half way through the rebuild, instead of 90 percent through.
I didnt mind the Mature age picks or experienced players we traded in. We needed some cheap depth in that 22025 year old range. Coyler and Acres are C graders? they probably are. But then again, when freo played finals in 2012-15, Freo had a few C-graders or role players like Matt De Boer, Clancee Pearce and Nick Suban in the side too.

Lobb can be good but is Injury prone. I just want him to kick 30-35 goals a season, Along with Taberner. I agree, Hogan is a disaster considering he was a player we needed to fill a very important spot: A Key forward spot.

Yeah we could of got pick 5 and 6 who were king and rozee. then on the other hand 1 or both of them could of joined freo and suffered the same fate as Anthony Morabito or Harely Bennell or Michael Apeness.

How about we stop ‘rebuilding’ and start ‘topping up’. Get out of this mindset that we’ll be better ‘later on’ and start being good now? The only clubs l hear that rebuild are forever losing games and missing finals.
We are a terribly underperforming club and attitudes have to change. It should be expected that if you’re drafted, you’re capable of performing at the top level. This should be drummed into players to build confidence and set expectations.
The period of 2016-19 saw a huge change of personal on field. New coaches absolutely get 12 months grace. 2021 we should be making finals. There’s no genuine excuse not to, other than we’re simply not good enough. How some supporters are happy to wait ‘a few more years’ is beyond me. It’s like waiting for Godo (spoiler alert, Godo never comes).
We need to laud talent, praise success and despise defeat.
We have underperformed. But we also drafted bad in some areas and had injuries to key players that weakens freos best 22 a lot.

As I have posted..... Once we went 0-10 in 2016 I knew we would spend 4-5 years of not making finals. We wont make finals in 2021 so thats 6 years of not making finals. Saying that those 2016 draftees have been on our list Like Logue, Cox and Darcy and duman for 5 years they are now 23025 years old.

The 2017 draftees in Brayshaw, Banfield, Cerra, Giro, Crowden, Switkowski and Meek are in their 4th year on our list. they are in the 22024 year old age bracket.

Those 2016 and 2017 draftees are the young core coming through as the main part of our next finals side.

Saying that, we should of made finals in 2019 and 2020.

I agree, and this will read like I'm smothering it in attitude but I really am not...
...if we are able to turn the clock and change the past we would be in a better position now if we lost more games and didn't try to remain competitive with top up players, but the club has commercial interests to maintain focus on that are linked to the football department and I believe have influenced our acquisition of mature talent.

I think Hogan was part of the selling hope package, to get people motivated to sign on as members and go to the games.
This exactly
We are stuck between a rock and a hard place
Those few years when we did bottom out and get early picks were wasted on the you know who's .
Then we've been middle of the road so get mid range picks which are 5-10% chance of boom , 60% chance serviceable and 30% chance bust .( I made those figures up but it helps explain my point .

The law of averages is stacked against us so we are stuck in this never , never .
I've been thinking do we tank but what does that achieve ? Great we get a top class rookie who's 3-5 years away from producing but meanwhile lose our cream because they are disgusted with the idea of tanking culture and sick of waiting .

Truly is a shitful situation we find ourselves in .
Only Ones of value that could be replaced are Cerra ( maybe Cox )
But that's just dumb to me unless they 100% want to go because it a) sends a s**t message and b) we really need them c ) you would only do it to fulfill a Longer term rebuild with young forwards / wings

Maybe best to just cut off some more driftwood / fringe and go to draft with more points .
2021 Draft
Axable IMO ( not necessarily bad players just not B22 or depth in 3 years when required)

Banfield - 23
Giro - 22
Acres - 26
Colyer -30
Watson - 24
Hill - 31

2022 Draft

Wilson - 29 ( maybe give him another year if we are looking promising as reward for service)
Switkowski - 25
Blakely -25 ( maybe potential but probably too far gone and has caused club upheaval)
Pearce - 27 ( if injuries haven't improved )

Reality is they won't provide much in the way of points but will provide cap space and new blood for the future and most would be easily replaced by decent , keen, fit rookies

Last edited:
I didn't want to turn it into a pissing contest of any sort. The're two different players and they wouldn't let him go.
I was genuinely mentioning a win/win possibility for all, clubs, player and supporters. They do exist you know.
It was a joke mate
I thought it was funny 😁

The reality is there is every chance both Tucker, Cerra and Darcy may leave. Why stick around? As much as I would run Sumich over if I had the opportunity, he’s right

Unless they all love JLo and the club, see immediate success (its this generation) they’ll get pay days back home in a successful Vic club (just avoid Norf..)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reality is there is every chance both Tucker, Cerra and Darcy may leave. Why stick around? As much as I would run Sumich over if I had the opportunity, he’s right

Unless they all love JLo and the club, see immediate success (its this generation) they’ll get pay days back home in a successful Vic club (just avoid Norf..)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hopefully to stay and finsh what they started with the rebuild.

2 weeks ago they were reporting cerra is close to signing.
I’d be amazed if Tucker left

Club is under the coach this week after a tough result and the usual suspects are out taking potshots.
Only way to answer is on the park next Sunday. Amd then follow up at the Adelaide oval the following weekend.
Then tell sumich to shove that up his ass

I wouldn't drop massive picks or salary on a ruck period. If Grundy can butcher the Lions and the Pies still score less from stoppage then I think it's hard to argue for. That's not an outlier either. NicNat is the only ruck that I think you can warrant on ruckwork alone and they won a GF without him anyway.

Just need someone to compete, take the odd contested mark and get a few touches around the ground. Put the extra capital into other parts of the ground (hint: forwards).

If he wants to go, back Meek in and find another project.
Wow that is something I haven't really thought of but makes quite a lot of sense!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back