Preview Box Hill v Carlton practice match, BHCO, Sat April 10th

Remove this Banner Ad

Really good showing - definitely a few young Hawks keeping the pressure on first team spots, exactly what we need in a development year!

He's started taking scalps in the ruck while also improving his work around the ground. If he keeps improving at this rate he'll be best 22 next year. It's been a while since we've had a Hawthorn ruck that actually wins the taps.
Hopefully he has Ceglar’s spot by mid year.

Cracking game, given the conditions.

6.6 10.9 16.13 21.18 (144)
2.1 11.3 15.4 16.5 (101)

Jeka 5, Morris 4, Hanrahan 3, Greene 2, E.Phillips 2, Blanck, Cousins, Mascitti, Nash, Porter 1.

I'll keep it a bit shorter this week as plenty have posted already but I thought Maginness was better than ok. Downie very good too. Cousins BOG, but I wish his kicking was better.

Not mentioned above is Saunders, who was in everything all game long. Really good. And Bramble - excellent game carving through congestion.

Brooksby was horrible early but had a really strong last qtr.

Morris really was good - involved a lot plus kicked the four.

Box Hill blokes who stood out were Mason De Wit absolutely imperious at CHB again; Mascitti a strong game, started forward but played across the backline second half; Ed Phillips good run and finished with a couple. Also impressed all pre-season with Jai Newcombe - only played the last qtr today but had a big impact.

Going ok when we're struggling to fit some regulars in the side. Jesse Cucinotta (gun goalkicking mid), Brayden Kilpatrick and Lachie Walker all waiting for a go. No one from today deserves to be dropped for round one either.

Oh yeah some of the weirdest umpiring today. Bizarre decisions, exacerbated by pointing the wrong way multiple times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2.1 11.3 15.4 16.5 (101)

Jeka 5, Morris 4, Hanrahan 3, Greene 2, E.Phillips 2, Blanck, Cousins, Mascitti, Nash, Porter 1.

I'll keep it a bit shorter this week as plenty have posted already but I thought Maginness was better than ok. Downie very good too. Cousins BOG, but I wish his kicking was better.

Not mentioned above is Saunders, who was in everything all game long. Really good. And Bramble - excellent game carving through congestion.

Box Hill blokes who stood out were Mason De Wit absolutely imperious at CHB again; Mascitti a strong game, started forward but played across the backline second half; Ed Phillips good run and finished with a couple. Also impressed all pre-season with Jai Newcombe - only played the last qtr today but had a big impact.

Going ok when we're struggling to fit some regulars in the side. Jesse Cucinotta (gun goalkicking mid), Brayden Kilpatrick and Lachie Walker all waiting for a go. No one from today deserves to be dropped for round one either.

Oh yeah some of the weirdest umpiring today. Bizarre decisions, exacerbated by pointing the wrong way multiple times.
Any comments on Jeka’s game?

2.1 11.3 15.4 16.5 (101)

Just one more question for the game watchers - is Jeka a good contested mark? Because after 6 & 5 goal hauls you'd think he'd seriously be in the frame for senior selection.

Jeka took his chances nicely today. A couple of super strong grabs, but also a lot of his work was at ground level.

2 of his goals from strong marks, one from a downfield free and 50m that took him to the goal square, a hb receive in the goal square, and a snap from close range after a good second effort. He also took a mark on the lead in the 1st qtr and missed the set shot.

He also did some things that directly resulted in goals to others (passes and dish offs).

He has the best formline of any of our tall forwards, but I think that it helps him a lot NOT to have Lewis, Kossie or O'Brien alongside him. Box Hill play Jeka and the more nimble Fergus Greene as the go to fwds, and that set up works. If Jeka was playing in our Hawthorn fwd line, I doubt he'd be kicking 5 or 6. But in his current form he'd have as much chance as Lewis to hit the scoreboard, and a much better chance than Kossie or O'Brien (but he plays much closer to goal than Timmy).

There's a lot to like about Box Hill ,they will be very strong this season barring injuries.
I my opinion Ned Reeves was best on ground, was so impressed with his ruck work and tapping them down the throat of Box Hill players.
Connor Downie also was very good and looks a real classy player should be close to getting his first game. Other standouts were Josh Morris,Emerson Jeka, James Cousins get heaps of the ball but quite often burns it with his poor disposal.Thought Harry Pepper did really well on occasions and also showed some class. Finn Maginness did some good things and a work in progress , also liked Jack Saunders and Lachlan Bramble, of the Box Hill players that stood out were Fergus Greene , Mason De Wit and the captain in Mascitti, Jay Newcombe also had a good last qrt.

Had my camera with me yesterday so took a few flicks while i was there. Check them out here...https://www.instagram.com/wisemansports/

Entertaining game to watch with the wind pushing to the one end, was good to see Box Hill push in the last quarter into the wind and over Carlton. Others have mentioned Reeves was quite good in the ruck, jumping high and winning taps. Morris and Hanrahan easily too good for VFL as small forwards, but its such a big jump to AFL. Good to see all of the Hawks listed guys play well though.
Bizarre they are still playing practice matches, makes no sense, at least it didn't have a practice match feel.
untitled-29.jpg

Had my camera with me yesterday so took a few flicks while i was there. Check them out here...https://www.instagram.com/wisemansports/

Entertaining game to watch with the wind pushing to the one end, was good to see Box Hill push in the last quarter into the wind and over Carlton. Others have mentioned Reeves was quite good in the ruck, jumping high and winning taps. Morris and Hanrahan easily too good for VFL as small forwards, but its such a big jump to AFL. Good to see all of the Hawks listed guys play well though.
Bizarre they are still playing practice matches, makes no sense, at least it didn't have a practice match feel.
View attachment 1099638
A ruck that jumps. Wow.

A ruck that jumps. Wow.
Very noticeable when Brooksby went into the ruck he went for the stand and wrestle. Which is what is probably his strength, but it didn't seem to help with the clearances. Hopefully Ned continues to improve week on week year on year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back