Opinion Commentary & Media V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The state of football commentary is beyond bad. The vast majority of people are selected for the roles based on their footballing accomplishments or professional networks. Things like knowledge of the game, ability to provide insight into the unfolding play and linguistic skills are rarely considered. It really hits you when you watch other sports just how unprofessional most of what goes on here is because the media is basically just a boys club.

Watch sports from overseas (soccer, NBA, whatever) and the difference in commentary is vast. The AFL and Cricket in Australia are horrendously unprofessional and speak like they are with their mates at the pub. Interestingly JB, and a few others, are common across both sports commentary.

Watch sports from overseas (soccer, NBA, whatever) and the difference in commentary is vast. The AFL and Cricket in Australia are horrendously unprofessional and speak like they are with their mates at the pub. Interestingly JB, and a few others, are common across both sports commentary.

Is it just me or has JB lost it?

A lawyer? Not that I was aware of.

And Im not going through the particulars again. Sorry.

Being a woman in any male dominated job is not easy. I know quite a few and have jumped many men and sit at the top their industries, including law and business. I am firm advocate of equal pay for the same job, im all for womens rights and DV protections, work place bullying (what we have seen in Canberra in particular) etc.

my gripe with Hester is not because she is a woman.

At some point I really need someone to PM me about what happened here in the hub!

How would you define it.
A larrikin was a thug: a hooligan, a standover merchant in the impoverished subculture of urban Australia. A man who behaved in a very rude, offensive & sometimes violent way. Thats what a larrikin is. The word has been skewed and misrepresented as “mischievous”

A larrikin was a thug: a hooligan, a standover merchant in the impoverished subculture of urban Australia. A man who behaved in a very rude, offensive & sometimes violent way. Thats what a larrikin is. The word has been skewed and misrepresented as “mischievous”
That sounds like something from a dictionary.

I mean in a jovial sense.....like “he’s a bit of a larrikin that guy”

You’ve heard that before surely?

I mean you're both basically right. It's transformed from one definition to another over the course of what, 150 years?

I mean you're both basically right. It's transformed from one definition to another over the course of what, 150 years?
Yes, of course. Todays “larrikin” might be a little different however, im more interested in the Boomers first borns which is ultimately what we see in politics, sport and tv presenters and can explain why most of them are buffoons

There’s something about larrikins smiling and having a laugh that just infuriates woke people to the core.

People like that are often reflecting their own misery and try to bring others down.
It's a shame Snake's not here. He would have mentioned virtue signalling and my bingo card would have been complete.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And then on the flipside you've got a "rascal" in PNG!

He does hit the mark occasionally.

As much as posters like to s**t on him he sort of gives the board a lot to discuss. Good or bad he’ll give his opinion but he’s 100% only about what he thinks is best for North....though he does need to become a member. It’s my only gripe with him tbh. I grew up and still hang around with a lot of s**t talkers so I don’t really get bothered by his abrasive way of communicating.

There were a few larrakins on The Sullivans. Magpie was one. Urger was one. Old Norm early on was one until he got serious. Terry was was one until he got ptsd and went on the mean streets of Melbourne.

A Crawford’s Production I believe

Don't forget Bert. And then there was Uncle Harry and all the gear he got that fell off the back of a truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back