Autopsy Round 8 North Melbourne vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

He definitely saw that delibetate oob differently.

It is honestly the perfect example of what is wrong with umpiring.

What forward in their right mind wants a stoppage from how play unfolded?

It's complete lack of feel of the game. Deliberate or otherwise.

Positives:
- Hall was very good and deserves a new contract.
- Menadue’s best game for the club, though he’s a bit slender.
- McKay keeps on doing his thing. His intercept marking will only improve.
- Campbell’s possible best ever game. Credit to him.
- I thought Goldy cracked in well enough.
- TT doesn’t have the tank yet, but he’s starting to show a bit in the middle. Starting to grow in confidence with his tricks.
- Stevo had a lot more positives than negatives.
- Mini comeback was good.

Negatives
- Ziebell did a lot right, but did cost us some goals. More of a neutral than a negative.
- Bonar struggled a bit today.
- Larkey is struggling.
- Zurhaar is also struggling a bit, but showed some positive signs today.
- Not sure about Young as a thin wing/hb tweener, but worth persisting with.
- Not fit enough to go for long enough and couldn’t cover the spread of a far more experienced opposition.
- Poor decisions that ruined offensive transitions.
- The transition from def 50 to forward 50 in generating scores remains an issue. Our defenders are collecting a lot of ball, but we seem to struggle to score from our hb transitions.
- Defensive stoppage structures were not great with a lot of fresh faces in there. Really missing Anderson and Dumont.

Last edited:
Positives:
1) Campbell!! - Has decided he belongs.
2) Powell - Love what he’s consistently bringing.
3) Mahoney! - Must have been doing kicking practice.
4) McKay - Will be overlooked for All-Aust, but should be leading given the amount of entries he has to deal with.
5) Atley - 1st time in ages I have no complaints about his game.
6) Thomas - Runs out of centre exciting. More please.
7) Stephenson & Hall - Our most damaging users and showing consistency.

Negatives:
1) Zeibs - So damaging to us with his poor defending and disposal, despite effort.
2) LDU - What has happened to him. He was embarrassing to watch so many times tonight, as was Zurhaar until last qtr.
3) Poor understanding between defenders leading to stupid goals for opposition.
4) unpressured turnovers killing us.

Here is my write up of the game for the footyalmanac. Its not meant as an analysis of the game just my thoughts of the day.

I’m a bit odd, and so you would appear if you were examined too closely. I don’t envy these wonderful young men who we spend our weekends wondering why they played on or went short or etc. etc.. Can anyone reading actually claim that they would like the scrutiny that an AFL footballer receives today when they were twenty two? Now one of the odd things I do is take out memberships of two AFL clubs and being a North member meant on Saturday I left my conference at Jeff’s Shed and fronted up to Marvel to watch the North Collingwood game.

I love going to sport. I am a North Member because when I was a student living in North Melbourne a kindly bloke used to let me into Arden Street games just after half time. I played for the Reds (Uni Reds) a bit, but watching the North sides of the Seventies, for free, was a blast. Why memorize the 15 branches of the maxillary artery when you could watch Keith Grieg run down the wing at Arden Street. One of my son’s shares the same genetic abnormality of loving live sport and so we used to be members of the Brisbane and North Cheer squads’ simultaneously.

But the footy is not the same.

When you go to any sport nowadays you are assaulted, and insulted, by noise. The failure to appreciate silence is creeping into all life today. My wife and I have breakie with a Rotary mate of ours, most Thursdays. He is a breakfast junkie and goes out for breakfast every morning and so we have the Steven Downes or James Haliday of breakfasts as our guide. I eat a simple tea, toast and raspberry jam but he and my wife are more adventurous. What gets on my goat is the loud music the cafes all play.

I ask you; Do you want to eat your eggs to Skyhooks?

Its even worse at the Adelaide Test match. I go every year and all the regulars catch up at the same spot in the members stand and chat away happily until that appalling James Sherry starts up and destroys the lovely atmosphere of the Adelaide CRICKET Ground.

We get this before every AFL game now. It reached a farcical point before one North game when the commentator mispronounced many of the North players names. This amused me greatly but the North supporters online were quite pis..d off. North supporters will need to develop a sense of the ridiculous to get them through the next two years. “Make some noise”, the imbecile intones incessantly.

But eventually the umps bounce the ball and the noise stops.

North have a list comparable to the Fitzroy list of ’96 so I thought a win unlikely but I wanted to see some evidence that some of the young blokes have a future. Were Collingwood the Freo of ’96?

Collingwood won comfortably in the end but there was plenty of interest in the match. Jordan De Goey was by far the most important player on the ground. It took North until some time in the third quarter to catch up with his score and here is where I have to start to get critical. Everyone before the game thought De Goey was the Collingwood trump card The North captain, Zeibel, picked him up after half time, and quietened him somewhat, but the horse had bolted. McKay, as North’s premier defender should have stood beside him from the start. I think Noble picked the wrong horse, was too slow to make a change and then made the wrong one.

North have two players, Zurharr and LDU (I call him UDL) who have some talent. UDL sometimes carves his way through traffic like the young Voss. Zurharr takes pack species but neither player can be trusted to kick over the man on the mark. They are both wonderfully appalling and may not get a game in the better North teams on the way. North supporters need to adopt a Zen pose and appreciate that not all footballers can be Boomers, who never looked out of his depth.

Hall had another great game and I wonder if he would do well under the Martin Pike contract term. Brissie used to give Pike only one year contracts so he had to keep to the straight and narrow. Hall should be an elite AFL player but has wasted his talent to this stage of his career but gee he looked elite today.

There were some swings in the game. Collingwood got out to a five goal lead at half time, which North reeled in during the third quarter. Collingwood came again, established a buffer, but the young North side never gave up. And closed the gap by the end.

Young Noble, son of the North’s coach, should have received more attention as he showed the North team what one touch footy is all about. Imagine his Dad saying to a North player,”Go out and stand on that Noble’s foot. Get his face and make his night a misery”.

I do not like the amount of vitriol that comes Nathan Buckley’s way. Most of it is envy of someone who is better than they. I have spoken to team mates of his from his young days and he wasn’t the most likeable bloke back then, but the brains of young men have a far way to go before they mature. I bumped into Bucks at a cricket match a few years ago when I was the umpire of the game. He was playing a game in his son’s team, enjoying the game and his presence was enjoyed by all present. I did give him not out LBW just before a break and mentioned to Bucks at the break that many of my mates would not have been so impartial and I may experience some heat from my mates if the incident leaked out.

Young Daicos played well but I am hopelessly biased. His parents are the original glamour couple but are so unassuming, natural and good people. Young Josh is the sort of young fellow any man would be proud of so how could he not figure in the Derrinalphil votes

Derrinalphil Votes

3 De Goey

2 Hall

1 Daicos

NORTH MELBOURNE 2.2 3.6 8.7 11.10 (76)
COLLINGWOOD
3.2 8.6 12.10 14.10 (94)

GOALS
North Melbourne:
Stephenson 2, Thomas 2, Mahony 2, Zurhaar 2, Campbell, Lazzaro, Turner
Collingwood:
De Goey 6, Cameron 3, Pendlebury 2, Mihocek 2, Hoskin-Elliott

Glad I was at the game and didn’t get to experience the joy of the GD thread.

Similarly to last week, we looked great when our senior players were on and fell away when they didn’t do the basics right. We will NOT win a game until our senior players can put together 4 quarters.

Positives:
- Ben McKay. Probably his best intercept game for the club today. Took some unbelievable marks, used the ball well. He’s such a good player, sign him ASAP.
- TT didn’t have his best game statistically but gee his X Factor was evident. That third quarter come back was off the back of him, the goal the explosive clearance. Easy to forget this guy is 21.
- Campbell. I’ll happily keep saying I was wrong. He’s doing everything we need him to currently, just competed non stop.
- Jaidyn another 18 Disposals 2 goal game, excellent early.
- Tommy Powell is too smart & clean for his team mates. He is the most impressive 19 year old kid to walk into Arden St in 20+ years.
- LDU had a shaky start (5 Disposals in the first half?), ended up with 18 with 13 in the second half. Thought he worked his way into the game really well and was quality in our 3rd quarter comeback.
- CZ clearly down on confidence but still managed to hit the scoreboard and could have had 5. He’s improved last couple weeks.
- I liked Mahoneys game, that tackle on Moore was mint and his 2 goals were good. He’s 19, the heat he cops on here for his “physical characteristics” is pathetic.

When looking at Collingwoods top players, it’s pretty clear that their senior players were the difference today. Their kids were largely ineffective (bar IQ & Noble who had a field day off the back of Moore’s dominance).

7D2BAB14-0026-407E-9735-833701D6C993.png

They threw everything they had at us tonight. We didn’t get blown out. 18 points is our smallest loss to date. We are getting closer.

Pretty s**t game, and certainly some umpiring decisions that raised my eyebrows, and one other that was so bad it was funny. But, I wouldn't look any further than the playing group and the people that constructed the list to pin the blame on.

The easy set shots that were missed are just so disappointing and frustrating to see.

But outside of that the more worrying part to me is two things:

1. The list. How is it possible Nick Larkey is our only tall forward? Playing key forward in the worst side of the league is tough, but geez he looks like he could use a spell in the 2's to get his hands on the ball more than 5 times in a game (although, given the state of the VFL team that would also be unlikely). But who would the club play there instead of him, they have 10 players above 190 cm on the list. That is why I was surprised to see the club not draft Logan McDonald, they need more key forwards, yet they recruited none. The club trades Ben Brown, after tanking his trade value, and then they bring in absolutely no one to replace him. Having a quick look at the lists of other clubs, the average number of players on a list above 190 cm is 17! North Melbourne has 10. The club with the 2nd fewest players above 190 cm is the Bulldogs who have 14! How is this need not understood by the people who's job it is to construct the list? Definitely doesn't help that it feels like North Melbourne bomb the ball forward more than any other team in the league despite height certainly not being the big strength of the playing list.

2. Our player development. Which of the younger players that the club has drafted have shown genuine improvement over the last 5-odd years? I could name Jy Simpkin and Ben McKay. Those would be the only two that have shown they can be consistent AFL players. The rest, in my amateur opinion, are all very similar to the players they were when they made their debuts. This is why it is extremely disappointing to read the bests from this week, very happy to see the maligned guys like Tom Campbell and the like play well. But it is just sad to see the younger players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here is my write up of the game for the footyalmanac. Its not meant as an analysis of the game just my thoughts of the day.

I’m a bit odd, and so you would appear if you were examined too closely. I don’t envy these wonderful young men who we spend our weekends wondering why they played on or went short or etc. etc.. Can anyone reading actually claim that they would like the scrutiny that an AFL footballer receives today when they were twenty two? Now one of the odd things I do is take out memberships of two AFL clubs and being a North member meant on Saturday I left my conference at Jeff’s Shed and fronted up to Marvel to watch the North Collingwood game.

I love going to sport. I am a North Member because when I was a student living in North Melbourne a kindly bloke used to let me into Arden Street games just after half time. I played for the Reds (Uni Reds) a bit, but watching the North sides of the Seventies, for free, was a blast. Why memorize the 15 branches of the maxillary artery when you could watch Keith Grieg run down the wing at Arden Street. One of my son’s shares the same genetic abnormality of loving live sport and so we used to be members of the Brisbane and North Cheer squads’ simultaneously.

But the footy is not the same.

When you go to any sport nowadays you are assaulted, and insulted, by noise. The failure to appreciate silence is creeping into all life today. My wife and I have breakie with a Rotary mate of ours, most Thursdays. He is a breakfast junkie and goes out for breakfast every morning and so we have the Steven Downes or James Haliday of breakfasts as our guide. I eat a simple tea, toast and raspberry jam but he and my wife are more adventurous. What gets on my goat is the loud music the cafes all play.

I ask you; Do you want to eat your eggs to Skyhooks?

Its even worse at the Adelaide Test match. I go every year and all the regulars catch up at the same spot in the members stand and chat away happily until that appalling James Sherry starts up and destroys the lovely atmosphere of the Adelaide CRICKET Ground.

We get this before every AFL game now. It reached a farcical point before one North game when the commentator mispronounced many of the North players names. This amused me greatly but the North supporters online were quite pis..d off. North supporters will need to develop a sense of the ridiculous to get them through the next two years. “Make some noise”, the imbecile intones incessantly.

But eventually the umps bounce the ball and the noise stops.

North have a list comparable to the Fitzroy list of ’96 so I thought a win unlikely but I wanted to see some evidence that some of the young blokes have a future. Were Collingwood the Freo of ’96?

Collingwood won comfortably in the end but there was plenty of interest in the match. Jordan De Goey was by far the most important player on the ground. It took North until some time in the third quarter to catch up with his score and here is where I have to start to get critical. Everyone before the game thought De Goey was the Collingwood trump card The North captain, Zeibel, picked him up after half time, and quietened him somewhat, but the horse had bolted. McKay, as North’s premier defender should have stood beside him from the start. I think Noble picked the wrong horse, was too slow to make a change and then made the wrong one.

North have two players, Zurharr and LDU (I call him UDL) who have some talent. UDL sometimes carves his way through traffic like the young Voss. Zurharr takes pack species but neither player can be trusted to kick over the man on the mark. They are both wonderfully appalling and may not get a game in the better North teams on the way. North supporters need to adopt a Zen pose and appreciate that not all footballers can be Boomers, who never looked out of his depth.

Hall had another great game and I wonder if he would do well under the Martin Pike contract term. Brissie used to give Pike only one year contracts so he had to keep to the straight and narrow. Hall should be an elite AFL player but has wasted his talent to this stage of his career but gee he looked elite today.

There were some swings in the game. Collingwood got out to a five goal lead at half time, which North reeled in during the third quarter. Collingwood came again, established a buffer, but the young North side never gave up. And closed the gap by the end.

Young Noble, son of the North’s coach, should have received more attention as he showed the North team what one touch footy is all about. Imagine his Dad saying to a North player,”Go out and stand on that Noble’s foot. Get his face and make his night a misery”.

I do not like the amount of vitriol that comes Nathan Buckley’s way. Most of it is envy of someone who is better than they. I have spoken to team mates of his from his young days and he wasn’t the most likeable bloke back then, but the brains of young men have a far way to go before they mature. I bumped into Bucks at a cricket match a few years ago when I was the umpire of the game. He was playing a game in his son’s team, enjoying the game and his presence was enjoyed by all present. I did give him not out LBW just before a break and mentioned to Bucks at the break that many of my mates would not have been so impartial and I may experience some heat from my mates if the incident leaked out.

Young Daicos played well but I am hopelessly biased. His parents are the original glamour couple but are so unassuming, natural and good people. Young Josh is the sort of young fellow any man would be proud of so how could he not figure in the Derrinalphil votes

Derrinalphil Votes

3 De Goey

2 Hall

1 Daicos

NORTH MELBOURNE 2.2 3.6 8.7 11.10 (76)
COLLINGWOOD 3.2 8.6 12.10 14.10 (94)

GOALS
North Melbourne:
Stephenson 2, Thomas 2, Mahony 2, Zurhaar 2, Campbell, Lazzaro, Turner
Collingwood: De Goey 6, Cameron 3, Pendlebury 2, Mihocek 2, Hoskin-Elliott

I've followed Hall a fair bit and at his best he is elite, but he is 100% not the player you want to give a long term contract too I agree. If he is secure he will definitely go missing and half a55ed.

Disappointed to see Phillips was left out as well. Thought he had his best game for you last week. Haven't seen him get a lot of ball but has something Pendlebury like about him.

Got to the game right before half time. Just some notes:

• Our supporters are louder than Collingwood
  • * Ticketmaster for placing me in a Collingwood section to the right of the North Cheer Squad
  • Collingwood supporters carrying on like they won the flag after scraping a 3 goal win against the worst starting North team in 49 years is embarrassing. A truly embarrassing supporter base the lot of them
  • The first 10 minutes of that third quarter was some of the most exciting footy I've seen from this club in at least 3 years
  • Dean Margetts should have been chaired off alongside Sidebottom
  • The AFL is clearly lying about the attendance to give more ammunition for the Media. At least 30-35 k there.

On a side note, when the umpire payed 'contact-below-the-knee' against Ziebell, I lost all interest in the game. I predicted it would happen after a similar incident happened in the third quarter, but they paid 'high-tackle' instead.

Nobles good. Trust him. I think he was a great choice. I truly believe that.
Yeah, I'm reserving judgement. I can see where he's going and he showed frustration tonight we previously hadn't witnessed. We've got a squad that has lacked positivity at times and when they have, they have a propensity to go into their shell when it doesn't come off. We're another draft or two away from getting the quality from being a serious threat. With another 3 or 4 quality guys that can run through the midfield and provide the decision-making and ball use we currently lack, we can then be taken seriously. That's what it will take.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back