Analysis Good, Bad, Ugly v Port Adelaide Round 8 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

The scoreboard blew out but it was always on the cards. Hate to mention the umps but we were torched, particularly in the first half.

Those bagging Nicks need to get a grip, the effort was great. You can't be a sh*t coach and generate that level of effort.

Butts as the only KPD needs to stop though. Now. The structure is all wrong down back, McAsey or Murray need to play.

Laird, Butts, Seedsman, Brown, Keays, Harry all good. Riley coulda kicked 3 in 10 minutes in the 3rd, love him.

McPherson confidence is shot, needs a spell. Hamill didnt look right.

Tex was 2020 levels of hot garbage. Dmac and Kelly...yeah they're experienced but we need to move on. And Lycett should cop the Neal-Bullen treatment the grub.

Big improvement on last week, but not sure where the next win comes from but in a rebuild year that shouldnt really matter.
Kelly only 26 lol. Solid lockdown defender.

Good
Seed - The most influential guy in our side
Schoenberg - Promising first half, mysteriously absent from the centre in the second half. Put him in there for the rest of the year.
Butts

Ugly
O'Brien - Flying against our forwards
O'Brien - Grow a mullet or a moustache, at least look tough
O'Brien - Ruck Frampton and Berg, it can't be any worse
Not putting an all up on power to win this in to the next 6 showdowns

Was happy with our effort, scoreline ended up blowing out in the end but we were definitely not embarrassed.
Too many efforts in-close were half-hearted, tentative for mine.
Not embarrassed? 0.4 in the second quarter. They more than doubled the Crows' score and scoring shots on a slippery night, under which conditions the 49-point loss is a belting.

The ugly for me is that our list is so sh*t. How did the club allow it to happen? Supporters deserve an explanation and how they are going to fix it.

I watched the sanfl today and Worrell and O'Connor deserve to be playing Nick's.

Sunned it up well, we are miles off even looking like we are building towards something. Just because someone is young doesn't mean they will be any good and we have a heap of young guys who don't look up to it.

How many first quarter concussions before the AFL brings in a yellow card red card rule? Sure Lycett was garbage all night, but one less sub for Port would have evened things up. Stupid sh*t should be punished at the time, not next week. Take away the stupid goal review and replace it with concussion review. We were lucky to get past Geelong, but it's now cost us twice this season.

Lycett is a dumb thug.

But Ned should have known that.

If you're going to make a career out of being the mouthy antagonist, you've got to expect to be put on your arse every now then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rowe might not be the most polished player but he looks like he lives for showdowns and will one day win a showdown medal when things are going our way.
Murphy BOG until his injury. We did not miss Macadam, he wouldn't have got a touch tonight.

Lycett is a dumb thug.

But Ned should have known that.

If you're going to make a career out of being the mouthy antagonist, you've got to expect to be put on your arse every now then.
Dude seriously? If you're a pest, expect to back sling tackled into a concussion?

Says nothing about McHenry, and everything about Lycett.

The scoreboard blew out but it was always on the cards. Hate to mention the umps but we were torched, particularly in the first half.

Those bagging Nicks need to get a grip, the effort was great. You can't be a sh*t coach and generate that level of effort.

Butts as the only KPD needs to stop though. Now. The structure is all wrong down back, McAsey or Murray need to play.

Laird, Butts, Seedsman, Brown, Keays, Harry all good. Riley coulda kicked 3 in 10 minutes in the 3rd, love him.

McPherson confidence is shot, needs a spell. Hamill didnt look right.

Tex was 2020 levels of hot garbage. Dmac and Kelly...yeah they're experienced but we need to move on. And Lycett should cop the Neal-Bullen treatment the grub.

Big improvement on last week, but not sure where the next win comes from but in a rebuild year that shouldnt really matter.
Nicks selects the team. Nicks selects Mackay. Nicks selects an undersized defence.

It's in games like this you get a really good look at who is or isn't the future

Liked the look of Laird as a 3rd-ish midfielder, Schoenberg as a midfielder, Butts as a defender and obviously Thilthorpe. Keays will complement a team as a 4th-5th midfielder nicely

Guys like Hamill, Sholl, Doedee had less impressive games. We're killing Doedee and you just have to ride out performances from Hamill and Sholl who are young and will be inconsistent (not that I think either had a shocker)

Fogarty must be persisted with. We simply have to know by the end of the year whether he will or won't make it. Give him time, and plenty of patience. Jury is out but I thought he contributed today

Rowe was better but I'm not convinced he has a long term place in our AFL team.

I like the look of Berry but we cannot play him as a forward because he is a terrible shot for goal. Needs to get more involved in the midfield, beyond just pressure and tackles. Still 50/50 on him

Himmelberg won't make it. He's a spud. McPherson is taking a bullet train to the SANFL and hasn't bought a return ticket. He might find the cash to do so (haven't written him off). Jake Kelly is not, has never been, will never be anything more than a limited role player and we're wasting games on him.

Seedsman having a good year but he's turning 30. Luke Brown was good so hopefully he'll eek out a few more years. Playing Mackay is brainless

Bad
Played four tall forwards and still got killed in the air across half forward

4 talls. The only Crows forward in the ENTIRE match to get a mark inside 50 was Thilthorpe.

Walker - 0
Himmelberg - 0
Fogarty - 0
Rowe - 0
Berry - 0

Our forward line is too tall. It's obvious. Himmelberg out.

It's in games like this you get a really good look at who is or isn't the future

Liked the look of Laird as a 3rd-ish midfielder, Schoenberg as a midfielder, Butts as a defender and obviously Thilthorpe. Keays will complement a team as a 4th-5th midfielder nicely

Guys like Hamill, Sholl, Doedee had less impressive games. We're killing Doedee and you just have to ride out performances from Hamill and Sholl who are young and will be inconsistent (not that I think either had a shocker)

Fogarty must be persisted with. We simply have to know by the end of the year whether he will or won't make it. Give him time, and plenty of patience.

Rowe was better but I'm not convinced he has a long term place in our AFL team.

I like the look of Berry but we cannot play him as a forward because he is a terrible shot for goal. Needs to get more involved in the midfield, beyond just pressure and tackles. Still 50/50 on him

Himmelberg won't make it. He's a spud. McPherson is taking a bullet train to the SANFL and hasn't bought a return ticket. He might find the cash to do so (haven't written him off). Jake Kelly is not, has never been, will never be anything more than a limited role player and we're wasting games on him.

Seedsman having a good year but he's turning 30. Luke Brown was good so hopefully he'll eek out a few more years. Playing Mackay is brainless
Agree with all of this.

Seedsman stays in due to the level at which he's playing, but needs to keep said level.

We've got the grunt in our midfield future, need the class.

Himmelberg was serviceable.
I agree with all, but this (quoted).
Himmelberg was a liability. Aliir gave him a bath.
eg did you see Aliir's easy chest mark in the 3rd quarter? That was facilitated by Himmelberg leaving his man, to add to the player congestion in the R-forward pocket.
Blatant, dumb ball-chasing.
Aliir stayed back wisely, probably realising that Berg wasn't going to do any good in the crowded area and sure enough, was able to mark and clear. It was replayed on Ch7 from behind the goal.

4 talls. The only Crows forward in the ENTIRE match to get a mark inside 50 was Thilthorpe.

Walker - 0
Himmelberg - 0
Fogarty - 0
Rowe - 0
Berry - 0

Our forward line is too tall. It's obvious. Himmelberg out.
That's not strictly down to them, I mean the delivery was woeful

Remove this Banner Ad

Back