Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Hawthorn - Rd 8, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

A reminder: if you donate $25 or more to the GoFundMe for fellow Eagles fan AxialMat, you will receive one month of free Premium Platinum BigFooty.

Send your donation receipt to Chief to receive your free month.

Nic got 3 coaches votes. They way the votes were split meant -

Both the best coach of this generation plus another premiership winning coach think he played very well, so they gave him 4th and 5th best on ground.

Or

He was doing exactly what his own coach wants him to do and he gave him 3rd best on ground. (Then you can question Simmo's use of him but you can't question how Nic played and where he positioned himself).

Or

He was that good in his centre square and clearance work that the opposition coach Clarko gave him 3rd best on ground, in spite of all his unfit, fat, bad positioning, non F50 rucking, no mark game.

What's it going to be people?

Both the best coach of this generation plus another premiership winning coach think he played very well, so they gave him 4th and 5th best on ground.

Or

He was doing exactly what his own coach wants him to do and he gave him 3rd best on ground. (Then you can question Simmo's use of him but you can't question how Nic played and where he positioned himself).

Or

He was that good in his centre square and clearance work that the opposition coach Clarko gave him 3rd best on ground, in spite of all his unfit, fat, bad positioning, non F50 rucking, no mark game.

In honour of the votes and the big man, I'm ordering a double helping of Uber Eats this weekend ;)

Or

Or

Me thinks Freo trolls will be quiet until another "knowledgable" commentator rolls out the "but the marks" Nic Nat criticism again.......because what WCE really lack is uncontested marks and not clearances and contested footy.

Me thinks Freo trolls will be quiet until another "knowledgable" commentator rolls out the "but the marks" Nic Nat criticism again.......because what WCE really lack is uncontested marks and not clearances and contested footy.
What we lack at the monet is inside grunt in contests. Nic is our best weapon. Footy is full of soft talls that pick of easy marks.
Thr game is won at the contest.

Last edited:
Has anyone else noticed how Tim Kelly holds the ball when taking a drop punt for goal?

Most players hold it +/- around the fattest part of the ball, usually a little above 1/2 way, but TK holds it right at the top. Like it's about to fall out.
Seems to work for him. For the kick in question he never looked like missing @ about 40 out.

Has anyone else noticed how Tim Kelly holds the ball when taking a drop punt for goal?

Most players hold it +/- around the fattest part of the ball, usually a little above 1/2 way, but TK holds it right at the top. Like it's about to fall out.
Seems to work for him. For the kick in question he never looked like missing @ about 40 out.
I do this. Back when I was playing juniors I would have an issue when kicking a set shot that the ball would stick to my guiding hand which would cause it to fall wonky and I would spray the shot. My coach told me to hold it higher up the ball and this will happen less. It worked and now instead of spraying 100% of my shots I only spray 80%. :fire:

I do this. Back when I was playing juniors I would have an issue when kicking a set shot that the ball would stick to my guiding hand which would cause it to fall wonky and I would spray the shot. My coach told me to hold it higher up the ball and this will happen less. It worked and now instead of spraying 100% of my shots I only spray 80%. :fire:
20% of the time, it works every time

Cheer up Nathan, you've still got a few years left to improve and you won Brownlow in spite of your limitations.

So we literally have a 120 kg ultimate midfield bull crushing all comers who also just happens to be 31 and returning off two knee reconstructions caused in innocuous marking contests around the ground. In a squad chocked with gun contested marking players all over the field (but a relative lack of inside contest players) Nic needs to roam more and take more marks say the geniuses!

Last edited:
There’s something very Charlie Dixon about Bailey Williams and the way he attacks the ball in the air. Really big mits takes the ball really high. Really liked his game.

He’s one I really hope we hold onto beyond the next few years as he’s going to be some player when he fills out a bit more in the next 12-24 months.
1620639148428.png

So we literally have a 120 kg ultimate midfield bull crushing all comers who also just happens to be 31 and returning off two knee reconstructions caused in innocuous marking contests around the ground. In a squad chocked with gun contested marking players all over the field (but a relative lack of inside contest players) Nic needs to roam more and take more marks say the geniuses!

maxresdefault.jpg

CReese.jpg

Did notice that today rewatching parts of game, looks kinda weird, but he's a smooth kick..
Also noticed CJ tackle Petch and run away with the ball - Petch gets up and chases him like the energiser bunny, catches up and tackles him as he's about to kick..Petch has some magic in those legs!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They’re 17th and had a shocking 22 on paper today.

They're an AFL team with 4 out of their B22 out based on the self inflicted overtrading for stars. We're an AFL team with 7 of our B22 out.
I don't see anyone giving us a free pass, it's hard to win at AFL level.
All AFL teams are good enough to win against any opponent at any given day.

Except Norf.
They're basically tier 4 VFL and should probably fold.
The Dockers can be right behind them...

Watched the replay, Loved Waterman's chasing and sticking of tackles too.

Sheed's had 2 outstanding games this year, this was one of them, didn't put a foot wrong and even went in hard on defense, seems to be more aggressive without the ball now which is needed without Shuey and Yeo in the middle.

Gaff's positioning is some of the best I have ever seen. All these little kicks that just appear to fall in his arms, he knows exactly what he is doing and where he should be at all times.

What else did chris tell you patrick?

I heard Derm talking about one of the Hawks kids and how he has a frame to fill out to be a Tom Hawkins type when he's older. While the kid looked solid, Hawkins was always built solidly from day one. B. Williams is one of those guys thats naturally built. He's standing next two units here and doesn't look out of place. Something tells me that those legs will be absolute pythons in the future.

Sheed's had 2 outstanding games this year, this was one of them, didn't put a foot wrong and even went in hard on defense, seems to be more aggressive without the ball now which is needed without Shuey and Yeo in the middle.

Gaff's positioning is some of the best I have ever seen. All these little kicks that just appear to fall in his arms, he knows exactly what he is doing and where he should be at all times.
What are his two outstanding games out of curiosity? I always felt that his Dogs game was tad underrated as he was one of the first players that lifted when we needed to.

Or

Or

Math based puzzle time.
Rule out the certainties.

Gaff 9 is a 5/4 split.
Reddo 1 uses a coaches 1 voter.
Since 2 x 1s is out cheese was a 2 voter.
Nick and brad can't both be 2/1's because of cheese, so one of em is a 3, so that means sheed has to be 3/4. (No 2's available for a 5/2 7)
Now both 3's are out which means with nick and shep being a 1/2 and a 3 in some order JD isn't a 4/1 because the redden and one of the 3 voters has the 1's and he can't be a 3/2 because of cheese and that same 3 voter who holds a 2/1. So JD got a 5/0... which i had as an unlikely when i was doing it with notes... :shrugging:

9 Andrew Gaff (WCE) 5/4
7 Dom Sheed (WCE) 4/3
5 Jack Darling (WCE) 5/0 (seems unlikely)
3 Brad Sheppard (WCE) 2/1, 3
3 Nic Naitanui (WCE) 2/1, 3
2 Brendon Ah Chee (WCE) 2
1 Jack Redden (WCE) 1

Last edited:
I really ******* hope there isn't some other site that isn't the afl that tells you exactly what each coach did...

Gaff looked like he was well back to form yesterday. I thought the same about his positioning.

At one point in Q2, wingard read the flight of a high kick and was waiting under the drop, then Gaff ran up, used his hips to shove him aside and claimed the mark. Was a great piece of body work.

Math based puzzle time.
Rule out the certainties.

Gaff 9 is a 5/4 split.
Reddo 1 uses a coaches 1 voter.
Since 2 x 1s is out cheese was a 2 voter.
Nick and brad can't both be 2/1's because of cheese, so one of em is a 3, so that means sheed has to be 3/4. (No 2's available for a 5/2 7)
Now both 3's are out which means with nick and shep being a 1/2 and a 3 in some order JD isn't a 4/1 because the redden and one of the 3 voters has the 1's and he can't be a 3/2 because of cheese and that same 3 voter who holds a 2/1. So JD got a 5/0... which i had as an unlikely when i was doing it with notes... :shrugging:

9 Andrew Gaff (WCE) 5/4
7 Dom Sheed (WCE) 4/3
5 Jack Darling (WCE) 5/0 (seems unlikely)
3 Brad Sheppard (WCE) 2/1, 3
3 Nic Naitanui (WCE) 2/1, 3
2 Brendon Ah Chee (WCE) 2
1 Jack Redden (WCE) 1

This works:

9 Andrew Gaff (WCE) 5/4
7 Dom Sheed (WCE) 5/2
5 Jack Darling (WCE) 4/1
3 Brad Sheppard (WCE) 3/0
3 Nic Naitanui (WCE) 3/0
2 Brendon Ah Chee (WCE) 2/0
1 Jack Redden (WCE) 1/0

Gaff looked like he was well back to form yesterday. I thought the same about his positioning.

At one point in Q2, wingard read the flight of a high kick and was waiting under the drop, then Gaff ran up, used his hips to shove him aside and claimed the mark. Was a great piece of body work.
Apart from round 1 and 2. A good and a bad Gaff game are very similar statistically. It's all depends on how much time/space and how well he uses it. He'd be one of the most consistent mids/winger in the game

This works:

9 Andrew Gaff (WCE) 5/4
7 Dom Sheed (WCE) 5/2
5 Jack Darling (WCE) 4/1
3 Brad Sheppard (WCE) 3/0
3 Nic Naitanui (WCE) 3/0
2 Brendon Ah Chee (WCE) 2/0
1 Jack Redden (WCE) 1/0
Ballsed it up... confirmation bias :(

4/5 marks for showing your work, even if i didn't realise that there was 2 possible answers. Its back to negative numbers all over again.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back