Wayne Carey Says He Is Indigenous (or might be and might look into it one day)

Remove this Banner Ad

My racist sister-in-law was told by her own mother at me and my wifes wedding that she had Indigenous ancestors...It was the second best part of my wedding seeing her face when she always talked some of the most foul, racist s**t about her own actual history.

Doesn't change the fact that you are half Cypriot, whether you feel or look like it or not.

That's totally false. You cant be 'half' a member of an ethnic group or 'a quarter' of a member of one. You're either Italian, Noongar, Cherokee, Japanese Han, Irish or whatever, or you're not.

And yes, you can belong to multiple ethnic groups simultaneously.

Take Setanta O'hailpin. He's Irish AND Fijian.

If you identify as a member of an ethnic group, are accepted as such by that ethnic group, and share some element of descent (usually, but not always biological descent), you're a member of that ethnic group. And you can be a member of multiple groups, usually identifying with one as your primary identity.

That's totally false. You cant be 'half' a member of an ethnic group or 'a quarter' of a member of one. You're either Italian, Noongar, Cherokee, Japanese Han, Irish or whatever, or you're not.

And yes, you can belong to multiple ethnic groups simultaneously.

Take Setanta O'hailpin. He's Irish AND Fijian.

If you identify as a member of an ethnic group, are accepted as such by that ethnic group, and share some element of descent (usually, but not always biological descent), you're a member of that ethnic group. And you can be a member of multiple groups, usually identifying with one as your primary identity.
Totally false? You are what your lineage is, whether you acknowledge that or think it unimportant. Okay maybe using the fraction thing was wrong, as in used in days gone by to deny many people of the heritage they feel, i.e 'only' half caste or quarter caste for example, but I meant exactly what you are saying, you can belong to more than one group and feel affinity with one or both. What I meant by half was basically your DNA, half your mother and half your father.

Unless I'm reading it wrong, in that article he never actually states outright that he's Indigenous. He repeatedly qualifies it by saying he'll have to look into it but that's how he was treated growing up. Sounds like this is just the Daily Mail sensationalising things yet again, what a crap newspaper.

Might be Indigenous. Might have been his dad scamming Centrelink.

I'd have thought any reasonable person would get a proper family tree done, maybe even a DNA test (more useful to identify relatives than ethnicity), speak to Indigenous elders and historians and then make a decision about whether they want to identify as an Indigenous person.

hes not actually claiming that, just saying there’s a possibility.

are we so woke that someone can’t even say that?

Is it though?

I would have thought coming from a stable wealthy household, going to private schools and being male is a major advantage in both areas.

Those programs (which are very limited in operation) give a leg up to people who tend to suffer from the effects of racism, poverty, and a raft of socio-economic issues.

It's a little bit like saying 'building a wheelchair ramp is a major advantage for handicapped people to get into major education facilities and national companies'.

The whole point of those programs is to try and help out those that we recognize have a major disadvantage in getting into those facilities and companies.

Calling it an 'advantage' is a bit rich. Tends to ignore context.

do you realise I never said there aren’t disadvantages to being aboriginal? There can both be advantages and disadvantages simultaneously, right? They have advantages in some areas, and clearly disadvantages in others. The fact is if you have two people with identical backgrounds but one is white and the other is aboriginal, the aboriginal one has advantages in terms of studying and employment.

do you realise I never said there aren’t disadvantages to being aboriginal? There can both be advantages and disadvantages simultaneously, right? They have advantages in some areas, and clearly disadvantages in others. The fact is if you have two people with identical backgrounds but one is white and the other is aboriginal, the aboriginal one has advantages in terms of studying and employment.

'The fact is...'

Can you explain this, with specific examples.

You've got to be kidding. Closing the Gap ring a bell. Deaths in custody and about every other stat. Indigenous people are coming from a long way back, the backgrounds are not identical.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that a legal criteria?

The definition is as loose as. This is not unreasonable as different purposes require different criteria.

in relevant legislation the definitions are as vague as you can imagine

'The fact is...'

Can you explain this, with specific examples.

indigenous scholarship programs to every university in Australia, most National companies having indigenous employment programs or something similar.

some companies like Auspost even have positions which they will only hire aboriginal people for.

Of course I’m not denying aboriginal people face many strong disadvantages, but to act like they have no advantages to help them is straight bs.

You've got to be kidding. Closing the Gap ring a bell. Deaths in custody and about every other stat. Indigenous people are coming from a long way back, the backgrounds are not identical.

how often do aboriginals die in custody compared to white people?

also try reading my post again, you clearly didn’t grasp the concept at all.

‘then the cops could identify all his crim rellos

It is quite an interesting crime solving tactic these days. They caught the Golden Gate Killer in America who had been dormant for 25 years by using some of his DNA and comparing it to an ancestry database where they found several distant relatives, and then created a massive family tree, finding the links between the relatives before they eventually narrowed down the killer to one of two people.

They went from no leads to catching him all because of an ancestry DNA website.

indigenous scholarship programs to every university in Australia, most National companies having indigenous employment programs or something similar.

some companies like Auspost even have positions which they will only hire aboriginal people for.

Of course I’m not denying aboriginal people face many strong disadvantages, but to act like they have no advantages to help them is straight bs.

Do those provide an advantage? The provide an opportunity, but there are many, many ways to gain entrance to university. A scholarship or program to encourage indigenous students isn't necessarily an advantage in practice.

Similarly: indigenous employment programs exist. Does that mean it is actually easier, in practice to be employed? Not necessarily. It may just encourage and support more people to apply in the first place.

To give an example in a slightly different context: a friend I know ran a company that employed warehouse staff. They had almost 100% male applicants for positions, even though there was no gender advantage in the role at all. They advertised a position for women only, and now employ essentially 50% of each, entirely on merit. It was simply the case that for a variety of reasons, women would ONLY apply for the role when tagged as such.

Women don't have an advantage in employment there... it just encouraged them to actually apply (presumably because they had been discouraged from applying previously for a range of cultural and personal reasons)

how often do aboriginals die in custody compared to white people?

also try reading my post again, you clearly didn’t grasp the concept at all.
Roughly the same, in 2016, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people were 12.5 times more likely to be in prison than non-Indigenous people.

As I said in my last post, coming from a long way back. As you say there is positive 'discrimination' if you like when going for jobs/uni, but this is just trying to redress the imbalance of the last century. You make is sound like they are getting a leg up unfairly.

Roughly the same, in 2016, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people were 12.5 times more likely to be in prison than non-Indigenous people.

As I said in my last post, coming from a long way back. As you say there is positive 'discrimination' if you like when going for jobs/uni, but this is just trying to redress the imbalance of the last century. You make is sound like they are getting a leg up unfairly.

I never said they are getting a leg up unfairly, you just assumed that because you wanted to be outraged about something.

Also where is the stat that shows Aboriginal people are more likely to die in custody?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back