Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry gang, haven't been around much lately. Just checking have any of our conservative friends tackled the multiple instances of "cancel culture" coming from the right or are those examples still conveniently being let through to the keeper?

Sorry gang, haven't been around much lately. Just checking have any of our conservative friends tackled the multiple instances of "cancel culture" coming from the right or are those examples still conveniently being let through to the keeper?

According to the left and the right cancel culture only exists on the "other side".

According to the left and the right cancel culture only exists on the "other side".

In the old days "cancel culture" was called getting sacked for being a f-wit.
Nowadays f-wits want it all. Equal opportunity gone crazy.

In the old days "cancel culture" was called getting sacked for being a f-wit.
Nowadays f-wits want it all. Equal opportunity gone crazy.
The problem isn't people getting the sack for being *******s, it's getting the sack for just a difference of opinion. Or in this case, just not adequately shouting the 'correct' opinion from the rooftops loudly enough:

The original statement was one against anti-Semitism that Chief Equity and Inclusion Officer April Powers of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators put on Twitter. She deleted responses that were both anti-Israel and anti-Palestine.

Cancel culture isn't well defined, but as far as I am concerned, it involves examples like the above: capitulation to mobs fueled by outrage (or the signalling to politically-aligned people) through firings, de-platforming and denouncements to gain political clout and/or protect the one thing the organisation ultimately cares about - the almighty dollar.

I don't think you can claim it happens in the same way or with the same frequency as 'the old days' and expect that claim to be taken seriously. Contemporary hyper-connection through social media changes the game.

The problem isn't people getting the sack for being *******s, it's getting the sack for just a difference of opinion. Or in this case, just not adequately shouting the 'correct' opinion from the rooftops loudly enough:

The original statement was one against anti-Semitism that Chief Equity and Inclusion Officer April Powers of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators put on Twitter. She deleted responses that were both anti-Israel and anti-Palestine.

Cancel culture isn't well defined, but as far as I am concerned, it involves examples like the above: capitulation to mobs fueled by outrage (or the signalling to politically-aligned people) through firings, de-platforming and denouncements to gain political clout and/or protect the one thing the organisation ultimately cares about - the almighty dollar.

I don't think you can claim it happens in the same way or with the same frequency as 'the old days' and expect that claim to be taken seriously. Contemporary hyper-connection through social media changes the game.

2 examples:

Heresy.
Treason.

Used to get you one of these.

1625051241669.png

Not having a show on Fox isn't anywhere near as bad as getting your head chopped off, despite howls to the contrary.

More recent example, but been around for a long time...

People who are gay weren't even allowed to openly state that they were gay....for fear of the reprisals.

The same people who were operating the guillotine, who went after anyone openly gay...are now the ones on the end of the cancelling and suddenly it is the worst thing that ever happened to mankind ever. I don't think so.

Seems like a dumb reason to sack someone. On the surface though, if you are the Chief Equity and Inclusion Officer, you gotta be ahead of the mob on this stuff. The CFO knows his/her balance sheets - you gotta know the twitter world, which special interest group to cater to on any given day, and how public statements may be interpreted/misinterpreted by those most vocal groups.

Be the wokest of the woke.

2 examples:

Heresy.
Treason.

Used to get you one of these.

View attachment 1167963

Not having a show on Fox isn't anywhere near as bad as getting your head chopped off, despite howls to the contrary.

More recent example, but been around for a long time...

People who are gay weren't even allowed to openly state that they were gay....for fear of the reprisals.

The same people who were operating the guillotine, who went after anyone openly gay...are now the ones on the end of the cancelling and suddenly it is the worst thing that ever happened to mankind ever. I don't think so.
Yes of course, because we aren't chopping heads off, there's nothing to see here and people should stop complaining.

Let's not worry about murder anymore because at least it's not the Armenian genocide...

Yes of course, because we aren't chopping heads off, there's nothing to see here and people should stop complaining.

Let's not worry about murder anymore because at least it's not the Armenian genocide...

You're not looking at the bigger picture.

In days gone by, when it was the establishment doing the cancelling, the consequences for the cancelled were dire.
Today, with the roles reversed, the establishment (being the cancelled) is complaining about the relatively mild consequences that they face.

In days gone by, when it was the establishment doing the cancelling, the consequences for the cancelled were dire.
Today, with the roles reversed, the establishment (being the cancelled) is complaining about the relatively mild consequences that they face.
That's a very loose application of the term "the establishment". What makes you think it's only "the establishment" that faces cancellation?

Idiocy on both sides of this one.

Dan Crenshaw complains non-stop about cancel culture but now he wants this lady removed from the US Olympic team. Isn't that "cancellation"? And he's on board with that. And it has nothing to do with CRT.

However, there is a reasonable point within that. Gwen Berry is trying to join the Olympic team. She is literally seeking to represent the US. No one is forcing her to do that but that goes with the territory of trying to get a spot on the Oympic team.

You are the one putting words in my mouth, you tell me.
I'm not putting anything in your mouth.

You said: "Today, with the roles reversed, the establishment (being the cancelled) is complaining".

What do you mean by this sentence? How have the roles been reversed? Who is "the establishment" that's being cancelled?

Often, entities that represent the establishment have been all too willing to lean into this process of cancellation. You've set up a lazy counterpoint that doesn't bear scrutiny.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not putting anything in your mouth.

You said: "Today, with the roles reversed, the establishment (being the cancelled) is complaining".

What do you mean by this sentence? How have the roles been reversed? Who is "the establishment" that's being cancelled?

Often, entities that represent the establishment have been all too willing to lean into this process of cancellation. You've set up a lazy counterpoint that doesn't bear scrutiny.

Yet here you are scrutinizing...:rolleyes:

This was your question..
What makes you think it's only "the establishment" that faces cancellation?

You tell me where I said it's "ONLY" the establishment facing cancellation.

What I said was the establishment were complaining when the consequences were relatively minor.
They're carrying on like they're getting their heads chopped off, when they're just getting told to STFU and/or keep their stupid sh*t to themselves, mostly.

Yet here you are scrutinizing...:rolleyes:
Yeah, and your counterpoint doesn't stand up to it. Like I said.

You tell me where I said it's "ONLY" the establishment facing cancellation.

What I said was the establishment were complaining when the consequences were relatively minor.
They're carrying on like they're getting their heads chopped off, when they're just getting told to STFU and/or keep their stupid sh*t to themselves, mostly.
You said "the roles were reversed".

Who is "the establishment" you're talking about?

You're not coherent.

No, I understand the bigger picture and it's historical relevance; however, I am not using that to ignore the impact of the issue of today. What has happened before is irrelevant to the people who have been affected by cancel culture today. Honestly - was what happened to April Powers wrong? If so, why isn't that the focus here?

Idiocy on both sides of this one.

Dan Crenshaw complains non-stop about cancel culture but now he wants this lady removed from the US Olympic team. Isn't that "cancellation"? And he's on board with that. And it has nothing to do with CRT.

However, there is a reasonable point within that. Gwen Berry is trying to join the Olympic team. She is literally seeking to represent the US. No one is forcing her to do that but that goes with the territory of trying to get a spot on the Oympic team.

Yes well like I said earlier both the left and the right support cancel culture, but when they call for it that’s not what they think it is

Yes well like I said earlier both the left and the right support cancel culture, but when they call for it that’s not what they think it is
When a call from "the left" for removal or a boycott gains traction it's almost uniformly against intolerance, bullies, rapists and the like. Collective power used against people and institutions abusing power and punching down.

When a conservative call for the same gains traction, it's usually against inclusion and tolerance. Usually power trying to deny minorities a voice.

We can all point to exceptions, but this is generally the rule.

"Cancel culture" is a made-up squeal from people unaccustomed to being shut down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back