Preview LP’s journey to get to a potential Melbourne Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I was just gonna catch a train from Camberwell to Richmond, but even that sounds like too much hassle.
Might just buy a couple of baggies on the dark web and boot the wife out of the house :thumbsu:

If I can't get in I'll watch it at yours.

“Thank god I got to share this with my dad.”
One of my buddies is a mad Doggies fan and got to do 2016 with his dad. 9 months later his dad had a monster coronary and nearly died. Makes you appreciate this sh*t.
Real talk but this is a bit of an issue for me.

I suspect my dad's a bit too frail to deal with the G at the moment, so if we're gonna watch it together I think the only option would be at home. I'm sure he'd tell me to head to the G but I really don't know what I'd enjoy more.

I'm also a bit scarred from inviting him over for the 2018 preliminary final, that sucked massive amounts of arse. I started hinting he should leave within the first 10 minutes of the game but he stuck around until the end and I pretty much couldn't avoid watching it.

Real talk but this is a bit of an issue for me.

I suspect my dad's a bit too frail to deal with the G at the moment, so if we're gonna watch it together I think the only option would be at home. I'm sure he'd tell me to head to the G but I really don't know what I'd enjoy more.

I'm also a bit scarred from inviting him over for the 2018 preliminary final, that sucked massive amounts of arse. I started hinting he should leave within the first 10 minutes of the game but he stuck around until the end and I pretty much couldn't avoid watching it.

Yea these are the dilemmas we all end up having to sort out. There’s usually not a great answer.

I typed out a very long response to this, but decided to delete it, so as not to bore everyone here with NFL talk. Suffice to say that a few years ago I faced a very similar decision to what you’re facing (let’s hope you are faced with it anyway) and I’ll never regret being at a house party that included my dad on Super Bowl Sunday 2018.

Given the possibility that your neutral mid-point could go pear-shaped and end up in a scenario where you can’t fly on to Melbourne, pick the nicest place you can think of to otherwise enjoy a holiday

Given the possibility that your neutral mid-point could go pear-shaped and end up in a scenario where you can’t fly on to Melbourne, pick the nicest place you can think of to otherwise enjoy a holiday
There’s a case in Goulburn so this may turn into sheep truck hijinks.

You Aussies strike me as really resourceful. My money is on you successfully gaining entry to Victoria by whatever means necessary.
I would start tunnelling now, Shawshank Redemption style

Yea these are the dilemmas we all end up having to sort out. There’s usually not a great answer.

I typed out a very long response to this, but decided to delete it, so as not to bore everyone here with NFL talk. Suffice to say that a few years ago I faced a very similar decision to what you’re facing (let’s hope you are faced with it anyway) and I’ll never regret being at a house party that included my dad on Super Bowl Sunday 2018.

Hey mate, please post your response. I don’t really follow American sport but I do love reading wholesome sport stories.

Hey mate, please post your response. I don’t really follow American sport but I do love reading wholesome sport stories.

Like the Dees, it had been a very long time since the Eagles had won a championship (1960). That meant that just like LP and Toump’s dads, guys my age (I’m in my 40s 😐) had dads who were long suffering fans. Our pain was a little different than the hell show Demons fans have endured, because while we had some down periods, we were mostly a successful team who couldn’t quite achieve the ultimate success.

It was especially painful because I truly doubt any city cares more about their team (I’ll accept arguments from Pittsburgh and Green Bay perhaps). It’s unhealthy, I’ll admit, but it’s more than just a game for us. It’s deeply embedded in our culture. When the team goes on a deep playoff run, their is a palpable buzz in the city. Yet for all that, for decades we just knew, it didn’t matter how good we were- when the chips were down, the team would fail us, like always. And yet, we lovethem still.

Anyway, as our collective dads began to get older it began dawning on all of us, that these poor bastards may go to their graves before this team finally made good. And while I admit, from a purely rational perspective, that ought not be one of life’s great concerns, it sure was to an awful lot of us around here.

Ours had a happy ending (or at least the 2017 season did) and we all agreed that one was “for the dads”. Let’s hope the Dees can do the same for generations of their long suffering faithful.

By the way, this should make clear that when I said LP’s plan was deranged, I meant it as the sincerest form of respect. I get it.

By the way, this should make clear that when I said LP’s plan was deranged, I meant it as the sincerest form of respect. I get it.

I was about to cancel you for mental illness shaming.

A real fan would commit to jumping the Vic border directly from a hot zone and spending the Grand Final ducking and weaving between rows of seats to avoid the police.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we're talking about our dads how's this
My dad was born in 1965, so he's witnessed every single year of this drought and is quite possibly scarred for life because of it. If we win I think he'll cry like a little kid tbh

If we're talking about our dads how's this
My dad was born in 1965, so he's witnessed every single year of this drought and is quite possibly scarred for life because of it. If we win I think he'll cry like a little kid tbh

If we win a flag even self proclaimed tough man Topkent will shed a tear I reckon.

It's a very Jigsaw-ish scenario.

It's funny there's an Eagles fan in here too, because there is a very Jigsaw-ish scenario episode of It's Always Sunny where Charlie misses the bus to the Super Bowl, stays at the bar and for some reason becomes convinced that the Eagles will win if he steps inside a bear trap.

Now would you stay at home to watch the GF and a guaranteed Dees win if you also had to step inside a bear trap?

If I am being honest... I might step in that bear trap.

It's funny there's an Eagles fan in here too, because there is a very Jigsaw-ish scenario episode of It's Always Sunny where Charlie misses the bus to the Super Bowl, stays at the bar and for some reason becomes convinced that the Eagles will win if he steps inside a bear trap.

Now would you stay at home to watch the GF and a guaranteed Dees win if you also had to step inside a bear trap?

If we win a GF I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up stepping in a bear trap celebrating.

If we win a GF I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up stepping in a bear trap celebrating.

I am always leaving them out. Friends come over, always say the same thing, "Marlowe you forgot to put your bear traps away again". I tell them to be more careful while I dial 000. 🙄

I'd rather step in a mouse trap since we live in Australia if thats alright with you.

Well, you've jinxed the entire country and the competition is now going to be shut down, leaving no premier. Bravo sir, bravo! :$
Premierships are overrated.
The only thing that matters are the friends we made along the way.

Premierships are overrated.
The only thing that matters are the friends we made along the way.
Jesus Headless has a s**t load to answer for on this board

Remove this Banner Ad

Back