MFC Fans Only Non Demons Footy Chat 2023 - incl. AFL Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds dumb but for how good Brisbanes list is, they don't have that elite top 5 player who can turn the game for them. Neale is a star and I know he has two brownlows but he isn't in that conversation. Danger did it in Q1 last year, Trac in Q3 the year before, Dusty the whole game in 2020 etc..

I thought it was harsh in the moment, but after seeing the replay it was clearly there. Was just a stupid thing to do.
Yeah always 50. Did little to mask it, basically tackled him after the mark.

Agree that over the day Pies were probably better.

But also, * Collingwood.

Wouldn't say softness cost them today toump. Jarrod Berry and cheating umps more like it.
Nah that Brisbane side is much stronger on paper, hence why they were favourites amongst the smartest of bigfooty’s posters. I don’t even think the Pies were that good today. Bears just needed a few of their bed-wetting pant-shitting superstars like Rayner and Hipwood to play average games, 2xBrownlow winner Neale to pull the finger out before the last 5 minutes etc., instead what happened.

They lost. Again. After half a decade of Top 4 finishes. To me that’s soft.

Nah that Brisbane side is much stronger on paper, hence why they were favourites amongst the smartest of bigfooty’s posters. I don’t even think the Pies were that good today. Bears just needed a few of their bed-wetting pant-shitting superstars like Rayner and Hipwood to play average games, 2xBrownlow winner Neale to pull the finger out before the last 5 minutes etc., instead what happened.

They lost. Again. After half a decade of Top 4 finishes. To me that’s soft.

Fair enough, but I think its pretty unfair on guys like McCarthy to label them as soft.

Id rather say some of their players like Hipwood and Rayner are mentally soft instead

Fair enough, but I think its pretty unfair on guys like McCarthy to label them as soft.
McCarthy, Danniher and Coleman can hold their heads high.
A few are gonna be pretty ashamed I think.

Bailey a huge disappointment, massive first quarter, invisible when it mattered.

Really came to a few moments. Two goals after the siren at quarter and half time also Brisbane had a chance to score late in the third and fluffed it. Then in the last they hit the lead and then conceded almost immediately. I'm more annoyed Collingwood winning but a little bit of me enjoys that Brisbane lost after years of being at the top and with no success. I can still say we at least enjoyed a premiership even though the last few years have been a failure. Also annoyed this confirms Topkent is justified in saying Collingwood have been better than Melbourne in this period 😛

Really came to a few moments. Two goals after the siren at quarter and half time also Brisbane had a chance to score late in the third and fluffed it. Then in the last they hit the lead and then conceded almost immediately. I'm more annoyed Collingwood winning but a little bit of me enjoys that Brisbane lost after years of being at the top and with no success. I can still say we at least enjoyed a premiership even though the last few years have been a failure. Also annoyed this confirms Topkent is justified in saying Collingwood have been better than Melbourne in this period 😛
Brisbane had massive lapses in concentration late in the first and second quarters. It was also very Melbourne like watching them scrag that Cameron goal in the last quarter for about 15 minutes only for Collingwood to reply instantly from centre clearance

Brisbane lost their bottle in the second half and stopped using the corridor. No use going wings when Collingwood are better in that area.

Brisbane relies too much on mercurial players. Daniher was great, but Rayner, Hipwood, McKenna really didn't deliver. Zorko's kicking was maybe the worst part about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was an enjoyable spectacle with heaps of highlights even though the scoring dried up in the second half. Brisbane look better on paper but relied a lot on individual brilliance from their forwards to score.

Maybe just salt but neither team has the aura of a great side that some flag teams have and it does feel like a missed opportunity for us.

In the past 2 years Collingwood have gone out and brought in Hill, Mitchell, McStay, Markov.

Compared to us now where we've brought in Dunstan, Schache, Grundy and Hunter.

There's your difference right there.
Bailing them out of the Grundy contract was a massive gift

Bailing them out of the Grundy contract was a massive gift
They copped a lot of s**t for getting rid of the likes of Treloar and Grundy but it's bold and shrewed list management.. I love it.

I love the Oleg Markov story. McRea picks him up as a delisted free agent and gives him a decent go because he has belief in every player on the list to play a role regardless of how they entered the system.

Meanwhile Goody goes out and recruits Dunstan and Schache and flat out refuses to play them.

Last edited:
In the past 2 years Collingwood have gone out and brought in Hill, Mitchell, McStay, Markov.

Compared to us now where we've brought in Dunstan, Schache, Grundy and Hunter.

There's your difference right there.
Eh. Hill had a great day today, and Mitchell used to be great, but that's four role players they've brought in. We all need role players, hence bringing in Langdon, Hibberd, Melksham, Tomlinson, Brown when we were crap, but is that really the difference? What role did we obviously need to fill after 2022 aside from KPF, where we went in with Petty and JVR pretty much full time? They obviously thought that was a better bet than giving McStay a huge contract, which feels reasonable given he kicked 20 in 14 this season and has never even kicked 30 in a year once in his career.

Second ruck? We punted on Grundy and it didn't pay off, but we'll get a similar pick back so who cares?

The Pies did great but they squeaked over the line. Don't tell me that Mitchell over Sparrow or Markov over Salem would have turned our season on its head...

They copped a lot of s**t for getting rid of the likes of Treloar and Grundy but it's bold and screwed list management.. I love it.

I love the Oleg Markov story. McRea picks him up as a delisted free agent and gives him a decent go because he has belief in every player on the list to play a role regardless of how they entered the system.

Meanwhile Goody goes out and recruits Dunstan and Schache and flat out refuses to play them.
Yeah man, that's why Judd McVee played every single game this season coming off the rookie list. Chandler not far behind.

Honestly, what's with the need to cope with our s**t exit by pretending that this stuff is the answer?

Markov came in as a pre-season pick-up with one weapon - speed. It ended up being something they needed, and he took the chance. Brisbane get advantage at the end and hit a target, and the story is "how could McRae drop Noble?"

They copped a lot of s**t for getting rid of the likes of Treloar and Grundy but it's bold and screwed list management.. I love it.

Yeah the lions brought in McKenna for nothing, which was fortunate but he chose them and was a piece of their puzzle. We should be able to attract players to fill list needs while we have a strong core of players. It’ll be a bit concerning if we can’t. Hunter was good and Grundy was a bust, so we need to add again.

Crazy to think the Pies just won a flag with a key forward combo of Mihocek, Frampton (2 touches) and occasionally Cox. Between the three of them they kicked one goal on the day.

We don’t need a superstar key forward this off season. We just need someone durable and workmanlike who can kick 30 odd and chop out in the ruck. Someone like Levi Casboult would be ideal.

On the strength of how important small forwards are in finals particularly on the MCG I am starting to think ‘Wizard’ Watson has to come into our drafting calculations.

Eh. Hill had a great day today, and Mitchell used to be great, but that's four role players they've brought in. We all need role players, hence bringing in Langdon, Hibberd, Melksham, Tomlinson, Brown when we were crap, but is that really the difference? What role did we obviously need to fill after 2022 aside from KPF, where we went in with Petty and JVR pretty much full time? They obviously thought that was a better bet than giving McStay a huge contract, which feels reasonable given he kicked 20 in 14 this season and has never even kicked 30 in a year once in his career.

Second ruck? We punted on Grundy and it didn't pay off, but we'll get a similar pick back so who cares?

The Pies did great but they squeaked over the line. Don't tell me that Mitchell over Sparrow or Markov over Salem would have turned our season on its head...
This is ******* lols. I'd take Markov over Salem any day of the week.

Your post simply reeks of a combination of red and blue nuffy but also a hint of delusional.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back