VFL Casey Demons VFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we need to talk about Mathew Jefferson or is it too early?

4 touches in a 100 point win isn’t good enough by any standard - no injury or significant time off ground that I’m aware of?
He'll be better once he fills out a bit and doesn't have a bunch of baby giraffes getting in the way

4 touches in a 100 point win isn’t good enough by any standard - no injury or significant time off ground that I’m aware of?
Nah, once we * off Brown Grundy and Tmac or at least 2 of em hell have some room to play

He (Jefferson) has had at various times , Brown , T-Mac , Schache , Melksham , also playing forward . He has had a game on the wing ,in another game spent time behind the ball in defence . Also had Grundy pretending to be a Forward as well . He has shown signs but i'll wait till next season to see how he is developing .

i reckon he needs to increase his workrate a hell of a lot if he wants to play AFL. at the moment he just sort of floats around most of the time.

i reckon he needs to increase his workrate a hell of a lot if he wants to play AFL. at the moment he just sort of floats around most of the time.
He does t look like he’s going to be a high possession type (and he wasn’t this type during his juniors).

Hopefully he’s high impact though and once he’s physically ready the coaches can use him tactically.

Good move pushing him up the ground for a while I reckon. Get him around the ball more and push his work rate.

Interesting decision to tank the Casey final.

Blame the AFL .

As Melbourne have the pre-finals bye, some AFL listed players become ineligible to play this week in the VFL.

Because of these rules, the magnets have been shuffled with plenty of familiar VFL listed players will return to the team. Sucks

Blame the AFL .

As Melbourne have the pre-finals bye, some AFL listed players become ineligible to play this week in the VFL.

Because of these rules, the magnets have been shuffled with plenty of familiar VFL listed players will return to the team. Sucks
I knew there were rules for teams fielding AFL players once they're not in finals but pretty ridiculous to prevent teams from giving their guys a run because of a bye.

I knew there were rules for teams fielding AFL players once they're not in finals but pretty ridiculous to prevent teams from giving their guys a run because of a bye.
I thought once a player had played a certain amount of VFL games in that season they were eligible to play finals , seems they have changed that rule too.
So if everyone at Casey was an AFL listed player , does that means we couldn't play any of them ? I will be interested to see who the Bulldogs play.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can find the rules here - Finals Eligibility - VFL - GameDay

But I think it's a combination of rules/MFC choice.
  • Anyone that played final the H&A match for MFC are ineligible. This rules out Laurie and Turner only.
  • Anyone that played AFL after July 1, must have played 6x VFL matches to be eligible. This rules out Grundy and Jordon only.
  • Others played sufficient games to be eligible for VFL finals - Schache (15), Taj (12), Spargo (7), TMac (6)

Not much of interest really in the elimination final.

The only Melbourne listed players are effectively the ones with no chance of senior selection due to the AFL bye.

Harmes, D.Smith, J.Turner, Moniz-Wakefield, Jefferson, Adams and Farris-White the only Melbourne listed guys.

Footscray unsurprisingly on top with their 15 AFL listed players at a quick count, including the legendary retrospective 2021 Grand Final difference maker Toby McLean.

Harmes getting plenty of it and doing OK as an onballer.

Verrall has got a bit more involved around the ground than I’ve seen before but is getting beaten in the contests by Sweet who is a very capable VFL level tap ruck.

Moniz-Wakefield a couple of good moments.

Not much else to report.

A bit of a slaughter now. Dogs up 57-16.

I've seen Jefferson about two times, but it's hardly his fault as the ball has lived in the Footscray forward half for about 80% of the game.

Maybe it's too early to make a call on a kid but my god Kyah Farris White is slowly becoming one of the worst attempts of being an AFL footballer

Did we just pluck him out of an IT course from TAFE and pretended that we'd try and turn him into a footballer?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back