Universal Love 2023 Brownlow Medal

Where does Christian Petracca finish in the 2023 Brownlow Medal?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If Cripps was suspended last year (as he *ing should've been) and Lachie won it, I can be certain that Lachie wouldn't have won this year. It just screams 'fix-up for last year'.

Once again, the issue of part time umpires comes around. These blokes are earning peanuts and yet are directly responsible for gambling outcomes over 1b p/a, of course they are prime candiates for corruption or coercion. Afl is amateur on so many levels on a global stage
So you think the Bont is a sure thing next year?

I agree with umpires earning * all. I feel like alot of issue could be solved if we paid full time umpires similar to your average player, make it a career path that people actually want to get into so they could set themselves up, get more ex players & failed juniors into the pathway. With a bigger pool they can spend more time at clubs during the week and we can hold them to a higher standard on game day.. I'm sure they could handle a player pointing at the scoreboard or putting their arms out if they had a Range Rover to cry in.

So you think the Bont is a sure thing next year?

I agree with umpires earning * all. I feel like alot of issue could be solved if we paid full time umpires similar to your average player, make it a career path that people actually want to get into so they could set themselves up, get more ex players & failed juniors into the pathway. With a bigger pool they can spend more time at clubs during the week and we can hold them to a higher standard on game day.. I'm sure they could handle a player pointing at the scoreboard or putting their arms out if they had a Range Rover to cry in.
I reckon more ex players would be the go. Surely if there's good money in it you'd have a stack of blokes who don't quite make it still wanting the buzz of being out on the ground.

Absolutely have to take it out of the umpires’ hands.

Probably too convoluted but the best (and fairest) method would be for 3 ex footballers working as radio station special commentators (SEN, MMM & 3AW) to convene for 5 - 10 minutes in a room after each game to give their 3-2-1. Those votes are then paired down to get the actual 3-2-1 for the game.

Something like that. Only experienced and astute ex AFL players should vote on the medal. The whole thing needs an urgent overhaul.

Are they paid f* all? The umps I've met don't want to go full-time.

They're getting paid $125k for a part-time job. That's better than plenty of people's full-time wage.
If that's what they're getting paid, then they should be full time... even if it means bumping up their salary. At least then they could spend more time in training.

They also need to take a look at the voting process. Not sure how it is now, but it used to be that they had to stay back after the game and agree on the 3-2-1 as a group. That would just end up with the strongest personality dominating the decision.

They should vote individually 5-4-3-2-1 and be obliged to keep it to themselves. Then the tally won't be known until the last moment.

Also, how many reserve umpires are there? Why wouldn't they be included in the voting process? At least they would have the advantage of being able to see the game without having to focus on adjudicating it.

Seems f**king obvious. Maybe it's just me...

If that's what they're getting paid, then they should be full time... even if it means bumping up their salary. At least then they could spend more time in training.

They also need to take a look at the voting process. Not sure how it is now, but it used to be that they had to stay back after the game and agree on the 3-2-1 as a group. That would just end up with the strongest personality dominating the decision.

They should vote individually 5-4-3-2-1 and be obliged to keep it to themselves. Then the tally won't be known until the last moment.

Also, how many reserve umpires are there? Why wouldn't they be included in the voting process? At least they would have the advantage of being able to see the game without having to focus on adjudicating it.

Seems f**king obvious. Maybe it's just me...
If they were paid 200k it would be half as much as the average player. Absolutely an area the AFL should invest more into.

Back