Autopsy 2023 Season Review – Good, Bad & Ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

I am not disagreeing with you and I am also not agreeing with you lol. But...

They will view this year as missed due to not taking opportunities up forward. They will look at games like:-

4pt win over Collingwood should have been 20-30+
15pt loss to Geelong with a score of 8.15
2pt loss to Giants with a score of 5.15

And the two finals games that should have been wins.

A should of could of type of year and they will put some focus on the above I feel.
The lesson they should be taking from this is we need better entries and higher percentage shots on goal.

Yep. Geelong changed their style in 22' and won the flag. It was shaky at first but they held out and continued the year attacking and ended up clicking. We tried it for a month, had a hiccup and reverted back to bullshit footy.
Tried it again late in the year but totally hit the panic button after Petty went down.

Tried it again late in the year but totally hit the panic button after Petty went down.
Hook that second half against Richmond directly to my veins

Even the first half was enjoyable
Yep, except for watching us try to defend ground balls inside D50 and Jordon/Harmes being horrendous. Still, small price to pay for enjoyable footy.

Hook that second half against Richmond directly to my veins
It was frustrating at the time the way we let them back in in the last quarter but the Adelaide game was a lot of fun too.

It was frustrating at the time the way we let them back in in the last quarter but the Adelaide game was a lot of fun too.
Yep, those two games, plus the Bulldogs game in Round 1, the Brisbane comeback and the first Sydney game were the most enjoyable of the year by far.

Yep, those two games, plus the Bulldogs game in Round 1, the Brisbane comeback and the first Sydney game were the most enjoyable of the year by far.
As doom and gloom as some might be on here, there were enough games to enjoy this season.

Round 1 - Dogs (The Kozzy show. Blew them away halfway through the 2nd)
Round 3 - Swans (Possibly our most complete game all season)
Round 4 - WCE (Any 10 goal win over in Perth you can't take for granted. Should we have won by more? Sure, but I'll take a 63pt win over the losses we've had over there anyday)
Round 6 - Rich (The emergence of JVR! That last quarter was epic)
Round 7 - Nth (Close to 100pt win. We lost to these guys like 15 games in a row! I took in and enjoyed every goal we kicked on their sorry a$$es)
Round 9 - Haw (That first and last quarters were great against an up and coming side)
Round 10 - PA (Really enjoyed this battle tbh. Should have won, but loved the contest all night)
Round 13 - Coll (This was possibly our best win all season. Huge game, and came away with an unexpected win)
Round 18 - Bris (Game of the year? Came out fo the gates, then Lions got on top, then we snuck a victory last minute. How fn good!)
Round 19 - Adel (Thoroughly enjoyable game from start to finish)
Round 20 - Rich (Same as the Adelaide game. A fun attacking game to watch)
Round 24 - Swans (This is an underrated game tbh. Swans were flying, and we had nothing to really gain, yet we went up there and got a hard fought win)

Finals. Both frustrating losses, but nearly all neutral supporters loved both of these games. Both would be epic victories had we kicked a little straighter. Some real c*** games this season as usual, but I reckon there was a lot more to like than most are leading on. My opinion anyway.

People want ben brown gone,sure would have been better than hack t mac at least if can deliver it better he can kick,thanks goodwin for giving the kids a go bedford last season and now jordan possibly l think your afraid to give others a go,what's the point shacke on bench not given a go when we obviously needed someone up forward besides t mac, grundy not given a go seems gawn ran out of steam towards finals wonder why sorry goodwin you have been a disappointment along with the selection committee

People want ben brown gone,sure would have been better than hack t mac at least if can deliver it better he can kick,thanks goodwin for giving the kids a go bedford last season and now jordan possibly l think your afraid to give others a go,what's the point shacke on bench not given a go when we obviously needed someone up forward besides t mac, grundy not given a go seems gawn ran out of steam towards finals wonder why sorry goodwin you have been a disappointment along with the selection committee
Can chatGPT fix grammar?

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My review/vent:

This is the most shattered I've been after a season. Let a golden opportunity slip.

We were right in the premiership race and choked. We couldn't handle the pressure and expectation and spectacularly shat the bed on our home ground not once but twice in a row. 30+ more inside 50's to lose to Collingwood is pathetic. Our goal-kicking against Carlton was an actual outrage.

While we beat both grand finalists in the home & away season and lost to the eventual premiers in a QF by only 7 points (and if not for some bad luck, we might have even won that one), I think this was a weak year and next season will be a lot tougher. I'm worried the coaches and players will pat themselves on the back for coming as close as we did, but IMO we need to improve a lot to be contending again and I'm not sure where that improvement comes from.

Feel the club was a bit scared at times, ie: going with "proven performers" ilke Tom MacDonald instead of trusting players like Josh Scache to play a role, avoiding obvious changes- Petty forward, Kozzie in the middle. And I have no idea what was going on with the Grundy non-selection against Carlton after MacDonald proved his uselessness for the eleventybillionth time and JVR got suspended.

Glad Yze ****ed off, we need some kind of shake up.

tl;dr * the lot of them.

My review/vent:

This is the most shattered I've been after a season. Let a golden opportunity slip.

We were right in the premiership race and choked. We couldn't handle the pressure and expectation and spectacularly shat the bed on our home ground not once but twice in a row. 30+ more inside 50's to lose to Collingwood is pathetic. Our goal-kicking against Carlton was an actual outrage.

While we beat both grand finalists in the home & away season and lost to the eventual premiers in a QF by only 7 points (and if not for some bad luck, we might have even won that one), I think this was a weak year and next season will be a lot tougher. I'm worried the coaches and players will pat themselves on the back for coming as close as we did, but IMO we need to improve a lot to be contending again and I'm not sure where that improvement comes from.

Feel the club was a bit scared at times, ie: going with "proven performers" ilke Tom MacDonald instead of trusting players like Josh Scache to play a role, avoiding obvious changes- Petty forward, Kozzie in the middle. And I have no idea what was going on with the Grundy non-selection against Carlton after MacDonald proved his uselessness for the eleventybillionth time and JVR got suspended.

Glad Yze ****ed off, we need some kind of shake up.

tl;dr * the lot of them.
Good post.

Watching Collingwood select Frampton when they could have gone the safe option with someone like Noble on the biggest match of the year was pretty bold and shows how so far off Goodwin is from McRea.

Stark difference to Goody who flat out refused to play a fit Schache when the opportunity was staring right in front of him over a cooked and old Tom McDonald.

Still angers me just thinking about.

Good post.

Watching Collingwood select Frampton when they could have gone the safe option with someone like Noble on the biggest match of the year was pretty bold and shows how so far off Goodwin is from McRea.

Stark difference to Goody who flat out refused to play a fit Schache when the opportunity was staring right in front of him over a cooked and old Tom McDonald.

Still angers me just thinking about.
Sorry, I don't follow this post at all.

I don't think picking Frampton was gutsy at all, he was the obvious replacement for McStay that let the Pies keep their forward structure. He was terrible on the day and almost cost the Pies dearly.

Tom Mcdonald was terrible but Schache really wasn't the answer either. Even though Frampton is a hack, he's a big athletic guy that throws his weight around. Shache isn't even that.

The bold move was to not play either of them and throw something different at the Pies/Blues - but we didn't do that either.

Sorry, I don't follow this post at all.

I don't think picking Frampton was gutsy at all, he was the obvious replacement for McStay that let the Pies keep their forward structure. He was terrible on the day and almost cost the Pies dearly.

Tom Mcdonald was terrible but Schache really wasn't the answer either. Even though Frampton is a hack, he's a big athletic guy that throws his weight around. Shache isn't even that.

The bold move was to not play either of them and throw something different at the Pies/Blues - but we didn't do that either.
There was talk at the start of the week leading into the grand final that they were potentially going to bring in the extra runner due to the heat and just play Cox/Cameron as the extra tall. Frampton played a negative role on Andrews and did his job well.

We wouldn't know what Schache would have offered because Goody flat out refuses to give him a go even though we had Gawn playing with a broken toe and McDonald being an absolute spud against Collingwood and then Carlton on the night. Goody wasn't bold enough to pull the trigger and it's one of many elements that cost us the opportunity this year.

There was talk at the start of the week leading into the grand final that they were potentially going to bring in the extra runner due to the heat and just play Cox/Cameron as the extra tall. Frampton played a negative role on Andrews and did his job well.

We wouldn't know what Schache would have offered because Goody flat out refuses to give him a go even though we had Gawn playing with a broken toe and McDonald being an absolute spud against Collingwood and then Carlton on the night. Goody wasn't bold enough to pull the trigger and it's one of many elements that cost us the opportunity this year.
Frampton was terrible.

Had 2 touches, dropped a soda of a mark directly in front of goal, gave away 2 free kicks in critical 1 on 1s in the 2nd half and had 1 tackle.

He "kept" Harris Andrews to game high marks (9) and intercept marks (4). If Brissy kicked a goal late and snatched the win the decision to play him would have been the first under the microscope.

I agree that Goody and the coaching panel clearly didn't get things right. I don't think Schache pulling a Frampton on Weitering would have changed anything.

Sorry, I was just laughing super hard with my mates on grand final day about how bad Frampton was and was surprised to hear the narrative that he was an inspired coaching decision in the media.

Frankly, 2023 was an unmitigated disaster. IMO its the biggest waste of a season I've seen.

Things were definitely compounded by injuries - Petty, Melksham etc

Goodwin learnt nothing from the issues that arose in 2022, in fact they got worse.

Grundy trade was a disaster - he sat on the sidelines whilst we bowed out of the finals in straight sets second season in a row.

If Oliver ends up departing it will be the final cherry on top of the steaming compost heap.

I don't know why Max Gawn is posting photos drinking somewhere overseas - call me a prickly bastard, but the calamities that occurred in that semi-final and of which he was largely responsible for, I'd be laying very low until day one of pre-season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back