Review Dees v Tigers and the Ghost of Dimma's Trouser Snake: the Good, Bad and Ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

What was looking sketchy turned into a fun afternoon. Probably a good watch for a neutral - lots of swings, high scoring, pressure game but the ball still flowed pretty well.

Max, Petty, JVR, Melk great. Trac and Viney huge in the 2nd half.

Defending across the ground was pretty sketchy. Gave a lot of space to the Tigers, especially at stoppages early. Bolton and Martin got wayyyy too much room a few times.

Still, this is a fun team to watch. All the s**t about #learnings might've been real!

Mentioned in in the game day thread but Richmond spent all their tickets early and looked ****ed from halfway through the third. We held our nerve and ran over them.

Look, I got the thinking with Grundy—and I really like him as a player—but he can't come back without an injury to Gawn/JVR/Petty now.

Gawn's still got another couple of years in him, so it might be best for Brodie to look elsewhere after all.

Most I've enjoyed watching us play for a while I reckon. We've beaten better sides this year, but I love seeing us be more direct and kick higher scores, even if it means conceding more goals along the way.
As a neutral (Cats ) supporter, that was a really great game to watch. Demons look a lot like the 21 Flag team version.
Gawn, Petty and Petracca great to watch, and the often maligned Melksham seems to be the perfect replacement for Fritsch.
Depth is clearly not a Demons issue.
I think a GF is definitely in reach.

Mentioned in in the game day thread but Richmond spent all their tickets early and looked ****ed from halfway through the third. We held our nerve and ran over them.
They have a relatively old team, so that manic style they played probably isn’t the right one for them now for the above reasons.

Richmond use to do that alot at their peak, just pull away from teams. The good thing was we did it with our second string midfield. Once we get Oliver back (if that ever happens) and to a lesser extent Sparrow could seriously be dangerous, would allow trac to stay more forward as well.

The other good thing was our forwardline was without Fritsch and we still managed 20 goals.

I noticed the commentators started to stop wanking over martin in the second half.

Thought harmes was okay after a bad start.

Still need to clean a few things up, gave up too many cheap goals which will hurt come September.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really enjoyable afternoon at the footy in the end, walking home in the pissing rain but I don’t care, the dees won :)

That last quarter was seriously impressive, Richmond gave it everything and then we just knocked them out late, very satisfying.

Massive result, I’m really confident we’ll finish top 4 now, and I reckon we can win it too.

They have a relatively old team, so that manic style they played probably isn’t the right one for them now for the above reasons.
Reckon they hoped to get a big lead on us and defend it in the second half. Those two goals at the end of the 2nd were super important

It happens every time we play them, which is why I didn't feel particularly worried in the 3rd quarter. They throw everything at us in the first half, we absorb it, then we run over them in the second half.

2023 Rd 20: Tigers 20 points up at start of 3rd quarter, Dees win by 32.
2023 Rd 6: Tigers 12 points up half way through 3rd quarter, Dees win by 18.
2022 Rd 6: Tigers 8 points up half way through 3rd quarter, Dees win by 22.
2021 Rd 6: Tigers 8 points up half way through 2nd quarter, Dees win by 34.

The good
I noticed, from this board, that Petty is very mouthy and yeah he is ... The six goals was great as well.
Gawn as solo ruck is the only way forward, it just did not work out with Grundy it seems.
The fact that the team just kept coming back when behind by 20 was superb.
McVee is going to be an automatic selection for the next few years.
Viney, Melksham and Rivers did really really well. So it was not all on Petracca's shoulders to win this.

The bad
Tomlinson looked slow in thought and movement.

The Ugly
Harmes was pretty much invisible after missing two goals he should have scored.

Two Notes:-
I really liked the whole family connection thing at the end for the song.
And glad the team is playing a more aggressive game.

Posters who kept potting the side after narrow ‘fall in’ wins against Brisbane and Adelaide need to understand - winning those close ones, no matter how you do it, builds confidence and team spirit. Then you get a breakthrough result like this afternoon.

We are back in a big way with top two in the offing and a few guns to return to the 22.

We can bloody well win the thing again.

No Ben Brown, no Melb.

Oh hang on.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Good
Petty - wow!
JVR
Melk
Viney
Gawn
ANB - was a lightning rod for things happening
The game

Bad
Harmes

No ugly, ripping game

I second liking us kicking big scores at the expense of conceding more.

Turnovers in the middle and when our defenders get burnt out the back for easy goals can be frustrating, but we are so much better when our half forwards and mids run it through the middle with quick hands and when our defenders are taking dangerous kicks.

So good to watch and when we play with flair the players go in harder, lift their pressure and win more contests. All our players are good 1 on 1 so it's great ro see we are creating a lot more in our forward half.

No Ben Brown, no Melb.

Oh hang on.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Your disrespect of one of our premiership heroes is disappointing.

Still room for Benny in this side. Lots can happen between now and GF day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back