Review Dees v Tigers and the Ghost of Dimma's Trouser Snake: the Good, Bad and Ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

I've always said this

Always right gang member quality. Speaking of, I really should find that post in the preseason where I argued with Danster that Petty and JVR are the two id be using from round 1.

Only negative of mine was Jordan and Harmes, looked horrific in a game that open and a step behind good AFL players. Take them out for Sparrow and Oliver and we have really settled on the team for September
I thought harmes worked his way into the game okay after a horrible start, he at least git some clearances, I hated that he seemed to sky the ball when he kicked it. Definitely don't want him the side come September. JJ game awareness was terrible, takes an eternity to dispose the ball if he's a liability against a mid table team how will he go against a top 4. Also both players missed pretty simple set shots early, I don't expect perfection but if you don't bring anything to the table you have to atleast hit those shots.

I thought harmes worked his way into the game okay after a horrible start, he at least git some clearances, I hated that he seemed to sky the ball when he kicked it. Definitely don't want him the side come September. JJ game awareness was terrible, takes an eternity to dispose the ball if he's a liability against a mid table team how will he go against a top 4. Also both players missed pretty simple set shots early, I don't expect perfection but if you don't bring anything to the table you have to atleast hit those shots.
Harmes first game back at least but he just looks physically cooked. Doesn't have the dynamic movements he used to have.
Jordan is just terrible, just ruins passages of play regularly not being able to think ahead of what's next

He's destined to go to north, play 40 games over 3 years and then be delisted

Hes my favourite player. And not just coz of the hip and shoulder vs the Pies. Hes been quietly amazing.

I thought he'd be handy but didn't expect this, hes a much better all round player than hes given credit for, hes tough in the contest, smart with and without the ball (knows where to position himself) and is FARRRRRR better defensively than I think anyone gives him credit for: great and willing tackler , he runs hard back to help out in D50, constantly saving at least a goal a week with some smart positioning to chop a possession chain off or an underrated courageous act. He'll drop in the hole and wear one to cut off a lead and make a spoil every time, no questions asked.
Ironic that Western Bulldogs are now struggling to fill in that wing position. They've tried Baker who was never going to work and even went to the mid season draft to pick another wingman in Caleb Poulton.

You are right though, his football brain and IQ is through the roof.
In the last quarter Dangerfield made a really good point that when Richmond defender was streaming out of the backline, Hunter didn't get sucked in for them to go the quick easy over the top. He held his width between two Richmond opponents which completely put off the Richmond ball carrier and created a hack kick forward which we were able to create stoppage.

He's been an awesome pick up.

Kinda waiting for it to fall apart, but the late career revival of the Melkman is nothing short of incredible. Told me missus he eats those snaps from the boundary for breakfast now under huge pressure aswell.
If we're gonna win another flag he bloody deserves to be a part of it. Played a huge role in turning us into a good club.

If we're gonna win another flag he bloody deserves to be a part of it. Played a huge role in turning us into a good club.
Big time. Almost playing career best footy for us right now aswell. Can tell he's absolutely desperate. Fights for everything in the air

It's like Goody has flicked a switch for attack. Didn't think he had it in him, as it leaves us open to scoring against. But he's got us playing exciting footy. Yesterday was the most fun I've had watching us live in a long time.

I'll happily put my hand up and say I was on the Petty forward train. He's got all the attributes. I knew he had that in him.

Viney has been sensational. Not sure how it all works when Oliver comes back, but he's been the one for me this season. Should be leading our b&f

F*** I love watching May at the game. His position work and strength are elite.

Gawns second half was up there with the best ruck halves I've seen. He's the goat imo

Not gonna say any bads or uglies as I thoroughly enjoyed that game. Maybe it would be great to see Hibberd in there to sure up the defence. That means maybe Tommo makes way depending on matchups, or Bowey moves forward.

Big time. Almost playing career best footy for us right now aswell. Can tell he's absolutely desperate. Fights for everything in the air
Melk is a study of how a pure footballer can to some degree overcome physical decline.

He’s a great option to be a defensive forward on those interceptors too. Smart enough to know how to do it and he must be respected because if he gets it only five times a game there’s still a good chance that’s three or four goals, be it kicking them himself or setting up someone else.

Melk is a study of how a pure footballer can to some degree overcome physical decline.

He’s a great option to be a defensive forward on those interceptors too. Smart enough to know how to do it and he must be respected because if he gets it only five times a game there’s still a good chance that’s three or four goals, be it kicking them himself or setting up someone else.
It's great having someone who can lead to a pocket and the opposition has to chase, it really opens up space centrally

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only downside I can see is that Tommo didn't play well but May and Lever look so much better when Tommo or Petty is taking one of the key forwards.

Petty obviously not going to be doing that now so it's either Tommo or Smith. Smith is just too perfect as sub, so we need Tommo playing a role against most sides.

Ironic that Western Bulldogs are now struggling to fill in that wing position. They've tried Baker who was never going to work and even went to the mid season draft to pick another wingman in Caleb Poulton.

You are right though, his football brain and IQ is through the roof.
In the last quarter Dangerfield made a really good point that when Richmond defender was streaming out of the backline, Hunter didn't get sucked in for them to go the quick easy over the top. He held his width between two Richmond opponents which completely put off the Richmond ball carrier and created a hack kick forward which we were able to create stoppage.

He's been an awesome pick up.
You can't teach this... I was up out of my seat at home applauding during this passage, the difference an extra 3 or 4 seconds can make to defenders further up the field is incredible.

One of pet hates is the insistence of some teams/coaches to encourage players to manically push up at the ball carrier. It has it's place, but can lead to guys leaving their direct opponent and starting a game of checkers.

Hes my favourite player. And not just coz of the hip and shoulder vs the Pies. Hes been quietly amazing.

I thought he'd be handy but didn't expect this, hes a much better all round player than hes given credit for, hes tough in the contest, smart with and without the ball (knows where to position himself) and is FARRRRRR better defensively than I think anyone gives him credit for: great and willing tackler , he runs hard back to help out in D50, constantly saving at least a goal a week with some smart positioning to chop a possession chain off or an underrated courageous act. He'll drop in the hole and wear one to cut off a lead and make a spoil every time, no questions asked.
Yup. Also a massive smart-arse, bit of a flog, and not bad at nailing the occasional very useful FLOP.

Love him.

Harmes was playing in a very open game and was probably lucky not to be subbed off and likely would have if we used Smith forward instead of back, I wouldnt read too far into his "improved" second half, TK is right, physically he has the top end speed of a tortoise and the turning circle of Tom McDonald nowadays, reckon our runner Reece Conca would flog him for fitness and agility, thats why we aren't giving him tagging jobs these days, he cant keep up with anyone anymore.

Harmes was playing in a very open game and was probably lucky not to be subbed off and likely would have if we used Smith forward instead of back, I wouldnt read too far into his "improved" second half, TK is right, physically he has the top end speed of a tortoise and the turning circle of Tom McDonald nowadays, reckon our runner Reece Conca would flog him for fitness and agility, thats why we aren't giving him tagging jobs these days, he cant keep up with anyone anymore.
You’re probably right but goddamn is this the saddest eulogy I ever read. Loved me some Chompers. 2021 granny was turning into living nightmare until Harmsey sharked “bazwanko”’s handpass and got the ball to Slick. Massive, momentum-shifting, gamechanging play. King.

Felt like our best game for the year and highlighted our best facets as a team - hard running, skillful link up play and able to score quickly. What a breath of fresh air from pretty much the last 12 months.

Caveat is that both sides were given permission for all out attack - which suits our style I think. We probably wont have that luxury in finals. Still to regain this sort of confidence leading into finals is invaluable.

Really good

364081014_665247788963518_8364546607033340537_n.jpg

Felt like our best game for the year and highlighted our best facets as a team - hard running, skillful link up play and able to score quickly. What a breath of fresh air from pretty much the last 12 months.

Caveat is that both sides were given permission for all out attack - which suits our style I think. We probably wont have that luxury in finals. Still to regain this sort of confidence leading into finals is invaluable.

To be honest, I think we can all out attack and all out defend amongst the best, if not THE best, in the comp.

Our issue will be switching between game plans in response to momentum and executing both as required in a single game.

I will need to watch the replay but I thought he at least worked his way into the game. Harmes might be cooked but based on yesterday I would rather a cooked Harmes than JJ, which doesn't bode well for JJ.

Gawn looked cooked at the start of the year so maybe Harmes ain't quite dead yet but geez it's been a while. Harmes strength was always that he was a Trac lite. Marks forward, goals, explosive from stoppages, fending and breaking lines etc. If he doesn't have the athleticism to do that he's not good enough anywhere else

That really was some 1990's footy on the weekend. Fast play end to end, both teams kicking a score. How the game is supposed to be played. Seriously spoiled to grow up watching that style of game every week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back