AFL Toast RND 18: Win Against the Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Flat as a tack!
Well done Riddler, Skipper, Zerrett and young Durham was good too. Better from Ham too...
Although he should have had a shot there in the 3rd that he stuffed up. Good to get away with a really listless performance. Snap out of it lads!!

Would be interested to know how many goals Stringer has kicked in 2nd half vs 1st half this year. He hauled us back into it against Eagles with I think 3 in a row in 2nd half of that game. And 4 today. Probably more balanced against Hawkes.

13 first half, 15 second half. Up until today first half was winning.

They are a weird supporters, some of the vitriol is pathetic on a humane level.

The excuses are pathetic, the reasoning is laughable and the optimism is a cause for concern.

They celebrate being a developing team, like we aren’t? They laid the effort with player(s) out. Like we had no one..

The comments (re Stringer) are pretty low, sure he’s done some dumb s**t but let’s overlook a number of things other high profile players have done.

All in all, a win is a win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't read the thread but how's Kingy as soon as it's obvious they're going to lose.. they're a threat, they're dangerous, look out!!!1

No, we're an average side that beat a poor side. Move on turnip. You've got carlolton next week. Let's see you talk them up as a threat when they pants you.
Looking fwd to that game. Genuine win win outcome....
Ive never minded carlton. But **** me the posters during the offseason last year has me wishing ill on the club.

Once we're at 17, i can go back to liking them and focusing my will on norf folding

Ive never minded carlton.
Lq9.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The excuses are pathetic, the reasoning is laughable and the optimism is a cause for concern.

They celebrate being a developing team, like we aren’t? They laid the effort with player(s) out. Like we had no one..

The comments (re Stringer) are pretty low, sure he’s done some dumb sh*t but let’s overlook a number of things other high profile players have done.

They actually elevate a routine win.

The comments (re Stringer) are pretty low, sure he’s done some dumb sh*t but let’s overlook a number of things other high profile players have done.

Just had a look on the North site, your assessment is spot on.
PS. More pathetic than weird

Really happy with the response, fine that we started poorly after a poor build up and bruise free game last week. Great signs that the coaches and players worked through it.

Not sure a better team would have let us get back into it but we take the lessons.

Happy with Durham, that was what we needed.

I keep seeing little glimpses of what Ham can do, actually showed a bit in the air today. Needs a licence to have a shot when breaking 50.

Wright was huge and really think if we don't want to blow our draft capital on a kpf and gave him the title as number 1 man in the 50 the confidence boost and another preseason will see him hold it down fine.
He's only 24 and was in a development black hole for his formative years.

Huge from Hep, Stringer, Merrett and Parish.

Draper was good, will be better once his tank improves a bit more. Tank and kicking need to be his goals this offseason.
Surprised he has some detractors in the game thread.

North are doing this perfectly, game style is bedding and getting some great performances but still keeping access to number 1 pick.
Tarryn Thomas is such a good player. They will be good pretty soon.
Off a short break with a heap of travel, incredible performance by them, lots to be proud of.

The performance of Wright aside, the only thing that really interested me about that game was North's list and where it is placed in the grand scheme of things. That may well have been the worst game we played this year, if you combine sloppy skills, complete lack of gas and intensity and general lack of application (Adelaide game was probably worse but it's too hard to gauge because it wasn't a competitive match of football as much as it was a semi-competitive training drill).

Having watched North 4 times now since we last played them, I agree generally that they look very good, unusually good given that they performed the single must brutal end-of-season cull we have ever seen. It's not just the number of players but the ability of 4 or 5 guys to play at the level and contribute to a reasonably high standard (and also the handbrake of keeping Turner around).

I'm not going to say their kids are better than ours because I don't know them that well and I'm not sure who is classified as a kid, but there are, obviously, some very good signs coming from the existing youth (i.e. players who can play another 10 years) on the list which is what I would say explains the extent of the turn around in the second half of the year.

- McKay has really established himself in defence.
- Larkey has kicked 27 goals with key forward support coming from a guy who is 189cm (and while I don't think Larkey is the sort of player anyone will wish they had in their team he is clearly a solid AFL player).
- Zurhaar has kicked 23 goals in his last 11 games (after a quite start).
- Thomas is developing a game as a forward/midfielder that, with his level of talent, could see him in discussions as one of the best in the game. I agree with your assessment, the guy is a freak show.
- LDU has gotten his s**t together in a big way. The top 5 of the 2017 has been underwhelming to date but it's starting to establish itself. While I've previously said I couldn't see "it" in LDU's game, on what he is now doing, I'd gladly take him above anyone other than Naughton in that top 10. He plays a power inside game with class and it's most easily translatable to being elite based on the position he plays. It could be my bias as an EFC fan given he is the ideal sort of player for us.
- Taylor and Scott will be solid enough players.
- Simpkin, who I'm not really a fan of, is prolific enough to suggest that he is as good as other players considered good because of how prolific they are.
- In Stephenson, it looks like they've got the pick 6 who was drafted (much more so than the guy who struggled in years 2 and 3). He looms as a significant point of difference. He reminds me a bit of Lovett, with more staying power, they way he carves opponents up from he middle of the ground, particularly late.

Add picks 3 (Phillips) and 13 (Powell) to the middle, thrown in Comben as a key forward/second ruck option to develop and Edwards as a free hit top 15 pick calibre player and one of the best young mids in the country at the end of the year (that will mean picks 12, 4, 6, 8, 3, 13 and 1/3 in a future midfield) and the list is actually in pretty good shape. The midfield is set and could be deep enough to protect the rest of the side. It's far from the basket case it could be.

There are probably 5 players North could add at the end of the year for virtually nothing, with 150 to 200 games in them, which could help to fast track things a bit. They might still be bottom next year, because of age and lack of depth, but by 2023 I can see things turning pretty dramatically.

Last edited:
The performance of Wright aside, the only thing that really interested me about that game was North's list and where it is placed in the grand scheme of things. That may well have been the worst game we played this year, if you combine sloppy skills, complete lack of gas and intensity and general lack of application (Adelaide game was probably worse but it's too hard to gauge because it wasn't a competitive match of football as much as it was a semi-competitive training drill).

Having watched North 4 times now since we last played them, I agree generally that they look very good, unusually good given that they performed the single must brutal end-of-season cull we have ever seen. It's not just the number of players but the ability of 4 or 5 guys to play at the level and contribute to a reasonably high standard (and also the handbrake of keeping Turner around).

I'm not going to say their kids are better than ours because I don't know them that well and I'm not sure who is classified as a kid, but there are, obviously, some very good signs coming from the existing youth (i.e. players who can play another 10 years) on the list which is what I would say explains the extent of the turn around in the second half of the year.

- McKay has really established himself in defence.
- Larkey has kicked 27 goals with key forward support coming from a guy who is 189cm (and while I don't think Larkey is the sort of player anyone will wish they had in their team he is clearly a solid AFL player).
- Zurhaar has kicked 23 goals in his last 11 games (after a quite start).
- Thomas is developing a game as a forward/midfielder that, with his level of talent, could see him in discussions as one of the best in the game. I agree with your assessment, the guy is a freak show.
- LDU has gotten his sh*t together in a big way. The top 5 of the 2017 has been underwhelming to date but it's starting to establish itself. While I've previously said I couldn't see "it" in LDU's game, on what he is now doing, I'd gladly take him above anyone other than Naughton in that top 10. He plays a power inside game with class and it's most easily translatable to being elite based on the position he plays. It could be my bias as an EFC fan given he is the ideal sort of player for us.
- Taylor and Scott will be solid enough players.
- Simpkin, who I'm not really a fan of, is prolific enough to suggest that he is as good as other players considered good because of how prolific they are.
- In Stephenson, it looks like they've got the pick 6 who was drafted (much more so than the guy who struggled in years 2 and 3). He looms as a significant point of difference. He reminds me a bit of Lovett, with more staying power, they way he carves opponents up from he middle of the ground, particularly late.

Add picks 3 (Phillips) and 13 (Powell) to the middle, thrown in Comben as a key forward/second ruck option to develop and Edwards as a free hit top 15 pick calibre player and one of the best young mids in the country at the end of the year (that will mean picks 12, 4, 6, 8, 3, 13 and 1/3 in a future midfield) and the list is actually in pretty good shape. The midfield is set and could be deep enough to protect the rest of the side. It's far from the basket case it could be.

There are probably 5 players North could add at the end of the year for virtually nothing, with 150 to 200 games in them, which could help to fast track things a bit. They might still be bottom next year, because of age and lack of depth, but by 2023 I can see things turning pretty dramatically.
depth will be the problem

They've done a ground up rebuild. We refreshed an ok list by cashing in some established players who wanted out.
So not surprising both clubs are where they are at the moment.

Goldstein will be a big loss when he retires. Been up there with Cox & Sandy as the best rucks this side of Madden.
Tarrant, Hall, Ziebell & Cunnington are also driving a lot of their good moments.

i reckon they've sorted their midfield out assuming one of the rucks comes off.
it's a matter of drafting well and building out the fwds, def & depth

hope it all fails.... :p

We are the only team to have 3 players in the top 20 for goals kicked so far this season:
=12th Hooker 32
=12th Tippa 32
=18th Stringer 29

Harry Jones is =44th on 20.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back