When will the Carlton FC Arrive?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part 2 of this thread is here:

I disagree. One major problem of this rebuild has been keeping the older players. Has effected development and stopped allowing Cripps/Docherty to lead their own team. We need to look to the next flag and Cripps Docherty Walsh Weitering need to lead it on their own terms and set a new standard and culture

Like with Kennedy Dow Stocker it's amazing what happens when you give these players a decent go

Betts is still our best performed small forward. You don’t just cut best 22 players because they’re too old. Look at how well Mundy is going and what an asset he is for Fremantle’s young group.

If Durdin was banging down the door it’d be a different story. Honey is not a comparable player. Owies and Fisher are already in the side and seemingly working well alongside Eddie.

Away from that, I just don’t see how keeping Eddie would hinder Cripps and Docherty’s ability to lead. If anything he’d be an asset for those two as he obviously has a connection with the indigenous boys that they can’t replicate. He seems a loved figure around the club and wouldn’t be that type to compete with Cripps and Doc. Maybe you know something I don’t.

Hopefully we fair better than you guys did vs the West coast 3rds. At least you can use the disagree react to this post and it will make sense.

Carlton in nutshell there.

Win a game or two, get some momentum, fall over from panic or navel gazing.

The 'pressure to succeed failure cycle' makes us the Sam Stosur of the AFL

I don’t think we are held to lower standards, we have just been sh*t, regardless of where we are from.

Freo have largely been rubbish/average aside from under Lyon (they maybe on the way up who knows) and Gold Coast as bad if not worse than us over the decade they have been in.

West Coast, Adelaide and Sydney have just been very well run clubs, best comparison to Vic sides would be Geelong and I guess Hawthorn.

In saying that I think the crows are in for a bit of short term pain now, as are Hawthorn, but both sides know where they are at.

Fremantle are irrelevant and for that reason they get off lightly.
It's why they've only made finals 7 times in their history and fans are content because the club gets a free pass.

West Coast on the other hand get held to high standards by the media not just the AFL media but the WA media especially.
Coincidentally they've only missed the finals 7 times since Fremantle's inception.

Look at where West Coast and Fremantle currently sit and how the fans sit with their club's performance at present.
West Coast sit higher on the ladder than Fremantle.

West Coast fans have the pitchforks out and want Simpson sacked and the club burned to the ground.
Fremantle fans are content with the progress of the rebuild and are happy with where the club is sitting.

Carlton in nutshell there.

Win a game or two, get some momentum, fall over from panic or navel gazing.

The 'pressure to succeed failure cycle' makes us the Sam Stosur of the AFL

Essendon is very similar tbf, we've ticked some boxes this year though in regards to week to week effort, need to finish the season strong.

We play North, GC (in Melbourne) and GWS (in Melbourne, in round 23 when they will possibly already be eliminated).
We then also play Port (in Adelaide) and while we have a good record against them, that's a likely loss.

Our other match is against St Kilda (next week) and looms for both teams as a potentially decisive match.

Being Carlton, I fully expect us to lose to North this week. If not, then I can't see us beating St Kilda at the moment: not with a 16-game, 21-year old as our only fit ruckman, and only one key forward.

But if we can take care of business in the other 3 games and finish 10-12, in 10th or 11th spot... with our best 3 players suddenly Weitering (24), McKay (23) and Walsh (21), that's not a bad season and ends up being about where most people thought we would end up.

I wouldn’t take too much notice of the recent wins - it means very little as the pressure is off now. Pressure was on in the first half of the season and Blues were miles off where they’d hope to have been. It’s no good coming good with finals only a mathematical possibility … it really means very little. Being a Richmond supporter I saw only too often the team come ‘storming’ home with some late season wins, giving the club a complete mis-read of where we were really at. (Eg finishing 9th and recruiting Ben Cousins as some icing on the cake…)

Having said that, beat Port in Adelaide and climb into 8th and the gains will be genuine as it shows a new found ability to win against quality opposition when the whips are cracking. But win 2-3 and limp into 10th and a decent second half of season is fairly meaningless.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Honestly, you've been posting here for 14 years and this is the best your trolling gets?
Just because you don't agree that you've had a soft draw, doesn't make it a troll.

You'd think given you have been here 5 years now you'd understand the difference. Perhaps you're still sore from the whopping the undermanned Blues dished out to the Bombers.

I wouldn’t take too much notice of the recent wins - it means very little as the pressure is off now. Pressure was on in the first half of the season and Blues were miles off where they’d hope to have been. It’s no good coming good with finals only a mathematical possibility … it really means very little. Being a Richmond supporter I saw only too often the team come ‘storming’ home with some late season wins, giving the club a complete mis-read of where we were really at. (Eg finishing 9th and recruiting Ben Cousins as some icing on the cake…)

Having said that, beat Port in Adelaide and climb into 8th and the gains will be genuine as it shows a new found ability to win against quality opposition when the whips are cracking. But win 2-3 and limp into 10th and a decent second half of season is fairly meaningless.

Agree with this. Your first good post ever, well done.

Cripps
Docherty
Curnow
Casboult
Cuningham

These are all best 18 when fit

McGovern
Philp
Marchbank
Murphy
McDonald
Fogarty (managed)

These are all in the mix for best 22 when fit, or have at least played in the seniors this year

We are still dealing with a long injury list. Probably not as bad as earlier in the year when we whopped the Ade Cows though.

P.s. how's gibbs contract taste? not as good as the 2 first rounders we got him I bet!

Casboult ..?? C’mon, Blues supporters have wanted him out of the team all season. I’ll give you the other 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Betts is still our best performed small forward. You don’t just cut best 22 players because they’re too old. Look at how well Mundy is going and what an asset he is for Fremantle’s young group.

If Durdin was banging down the door it’d be a different story. Honey is not a comparable player. Owies and Fisher are already in the side and seemingly working well alongside Eddie.

Away from that, I just don’t see how keeping Eddie would hinder Cripps and Docherty’s ability to lead. If anything he’d be an asset for those two as he obviously has a connection with the indigenous boys that they can’t replicate. He seems a loved figure around the club and wouldn’t be that type to compete with Cripps and Doc. Maybe you know something I don’t.

Soapy will simply disagree with your post but not give specifics.

Apparently Eddie impedes on Cripps and Dochertys leadership ambitions but we have no idea how.

Soapy V if you know something and are willing to put forth an opinion due to the said knowledge, then share it. It's counterproductive to share the opinion without reason nor willingness to hear other ideas.

Soapy will simply disagree with your post but not give specifics.

Apparently Eddie impedes on Cripps and Dochertys leadership ambitions but we have no idea how.

Soapy V if you know something and are willing to put forth an opinion due to the said knowledge, then share it. It's counterproductive to share the opinion without reason nor willingness to hear other ideas.

Yeah I just don’t see how Eddie impedes on the skippers at all. Murphy maybe being an ex captain but even then it seems implausible. Curnow and Casboult quietly go about there business without fuss.

If Durdin is ready he’ll overtake a 35 year old Eddie with ease. I don’t think he’s ready yet and that’s fine.

Just because you don't agree that you've had a soft draw, doesn't make it a troll.

You'd think given you have been here 5 years now you'd understand the difference. Perhaps you're still sore from the whopping the undermanned Blues dished out to the Bombers.

As I said;

Honestly, you've been posting here for 14 years and this is the best your trolling gets?

Be a better troll, I'd give you a 1/10 at this point; low grade, repetitive material.

Even North produce far better trolling efforts.

Yeah I just don’t see how Eddie impedes on the skippers at all. Murphy maybe being an ex captain but even then it seems implausible. Curnow and Casboult quietly go about there business without fuss.

If Durdin is ready he’ll overtake a 35 year old Eddie with ease. I don’t think he’s ready yet and that’s fine.

If we are going to make 8-10 changes this year then who goes?

Who says we will replace Betts from someone on our list?

You’ve beaten Adelaide, Fremantle, Collingwood in that time. If that gives you confidence, so be it.
Yet Ess sit in the 8, have had an easier draw so far. Played North twice, Hawks twice, got Saints when they were putrid and Crows with no forward line. Beaten by a few top teams by 50-60 points when Blues have been more competitive against those same sides. Essendon supporters seem to have confidence based on that, as do the team. Perfect example of only being able to beat those who are in front of you and how that can shape your season, regardless of the quality.
We have a reasonable draw now. All of our remaining games are genuine 50/50, with the exception of Port, but we have also matched up well against them in recent times.
I'm not expecting to make the 8, but a mathematical chance, this late in the season, with decent run home is at least a bit of hope to hang onto.
Also bear in mind that Pies have been more competitive the last 3-4 games and we were without both co-captains, a decent second ruck and only one tall forward.
I'd rather beat Freo twice in a season (a team that's right in the fight for the 8), than beat North twice like Ess have. Again, they can only beat who's in front of them, but look at who we have to play twice: Freo/GWS/Pies/Suns/Port - one team in the 8 (top 4), three teams around the same mark as us (two of them above), and one bottom four (the highest of the bottom 4 clubs) vs who Ess play twice: North/Hawks/Swans/Pies/Giants - three of the current 4 bottom teams, one that's around the same mark as them but below, and one team in the 8.
Give us Essendon's draw and a little bit of kindness from the injury gods, and we'd be in the 8 too.

Why do we need 8-10 changes?

Who says we even need to replace Betts? He’s in great form.

I'm not arguing form. He's playing well.

I don't believe he will be there next year but that's me. IMO List spots are vital. We need a Ruck/Fwd,A Key defender or two and some midfield depth and better ball use. We will make a minimum 6 changes at years end. Could be up to 10.

If Betts stays who goes?

This is about improving the list and getting it closer to a flag, not individuals

It's not an advantage, I'm certain both sets of players would've proffered the game be played at Marvel.

Looks like we'll play GWS for the 2nd time interstate in 2021 as well, probably the Swans as well, Had to play the Hawks in Tassie and the Tigers in Perth.

Still performing though so as a fan that's super positive that we haven't packed it in.
You've currently played 6 games against the bottom 4 sides. By the end of the year, that will 7 games, with one more against Pies to come. That's 5 of your 8 wins. I wouldn't complain about your draw.

As I said;

Be a better troll, I'd give you a 1/10 at this point; low grade, repetitive material.

Even North produce far better trolling efforts.
As I said:
-Just because you don't agree that you've had a soft draw, doesn't make it a troll.

-You'd think given you have been here 5 years now you'd understand the difference. Perhaps you're still sore from the whopping the undermanned Blues dished out to the Bombers.

I’m pretty sure Teague is safe and we will just bolster assistants, though a loss to North would spell danger for him.

I don’t expect us to have a mass clean out of the list, though at the very least Murph and Casboult will retire.

In terms of guys who could be cut if we feel there are better alternatives:

LOB
Marchbank
Parks
Williamson
Newnes
Boyd
McDonald
Honey (though I doubt it, he should get a go first)
Cottrell
Gibbons

Ones saved by contract not expiring yet:

Setterfield
Cuningham (bit harsh but has been very injury prone)

Boyd - who knows
McDonald - who knows
Honey - who cares

Cottrell - out of contract, delist
Gibbons - out of contract, delist
Newnes - out of contract, delist

LOB - out of contract, trade or delist

Casboult - out of contract, retire/delist
Murphy - out of contract, retire/delist
Betts - out of contract, retire/delist

Marchbank - under contract for next year
Parks - under contract for next year