Draft Expert Knightmare's 2021 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you didn't read much of my post then?

Brian Lake was drafted 20 years ago. He was a run of the mill defender for his first 150 games at the Dogs, he regularly got a pantsing. Would Callow be afforded the same amount of time? No. You are remembering Lake for his last 50 games of a 250 game career.

McGovern has barely had an opponent for the last 6 years and he's one of the best intercept marks in history.

As I said, he would have to be played as a loose defender in a spare behind the ball system like WCE deploy.

He's not a FB and never will be, he would get eaten alive by the likes of McKay, King etc moving forward, not only on the lead, but also trying to defend them when out of position.

You have disregarded the Div 2 carnivals as irrelevant in the past, also the TSL when it came to Tarryn Thomas, you can't suddenly use it now as evidence as to Callow's body of work...
Callow wouldn't get eaten, on the lead his speed is great, he's so smart in using his body and his hands are so good he is naturally able to win contests and having his hands are a bonus.

Serious question not trying to be smart but why was he over looked for so long by every team cause he does seem to have a bit going for him. Surly every club cannot get it so wrong as you seem to rate him very highly.
Since his first and current draft he's changed so much physically, was a big boy with great straight line speed but was unagile with amazing hands, got lean gained muscle and became a beast, his agility improved heaps and his straight line speed stayed similar and improved.

The description of Callow reminds me of Sam Collins.

about 195cm.
Strong
Good overhead
Bit slow and not really a leaper.

collins goes alright.
Yep 196cm or there abouts, very strong and hands like vice. But what he does have since our pre season trial is much improved agility to go with his already good straight line speed which was shown even at TSL level where he had a bunch of run down tackles as a key forward on running half backs and midfielders. His leap has also improved a fair bit.

Assuming he continues some decent form in WAFL, where do you see Jesse Motlops draft/Bid range?

Motlop's stocks are rising on the back of that WAFL League debut. I wouldn't be surprised to see Motlop feature in the second round as he has good role player potential as that pressure forward.

I think he'll play more good footy but that should be up the higher end of what he does this year. If he continues playing at that level or improves on it against League opposition, there is the risk that a bid inside the top-20 is made with the likes of Daniel Rioli and Kozzie Pickett evidence that those pressure forwards can go first round when they're great in those aspects of the game as Motlop made very clear on debut.

Since his first and current draft he's changed so much physically, was a big boy with great straight line speed but was unagile with amazing hands, got lean gained muscle and became a beast, his agility improved heaps and his straight line speed stayed similar and improved.
I read that he has been clocking big kilometre numbers in the VFL.

Love to know your thoughts on Simpsons quote KM. Do
You feel it’s how modern recruiting is done?

LOL
He's 195/196cm at 19, was beasting men at SANFL level as a key forward and defender.
He's very quick in a straight line so not sure where you get that.
Has lost alot of fat, gained muscle and got alot leaner since last years draft class and drastically improved that part.

His marking ability would still be an advantage and beat 99% of players at AFL level his hands are literal vice. You're saying SANFL as if he's playing kids, he was dominating at both ends against men rofl.

I have nothing against Hawks fans talking up their new player, but dominating and beasting the SANFL isn't exactly true...Callow had two good games, even then he only kicked 6.8 in them. Lachie Wilsdon came in and kicked 8 in his first game as a forward. Callow's other 6 games were fine for a 19 year old playing league football. I also don't recall him playing for Norwood as a key defender, let alone dominating at that end.

He was deserving of an AFL list spot, but he certainly wasn't dominating.

I have nothing against Hawks fans talking up their new player, but dominating and beasting the SANFL isn't exactly true...Callow had two good games, even then he only kicked 6.8 in them. Lachie Wilsdon came in and kicked 8 in his first game as a forward. Callow's other 6 games were fine for a 19 year old playing league football. I also don't recall him playing for Norwood as a key defender, let alone dominating at that end.

He was 100% dominating, played at times higher up and if he wasnt marking he was hurting the oppo. His games as a deep fwd were great but did spend a few halves quarters at times down back when they needed him and was a rock down there. Dominated every tassie league aswell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was 100% dominating, played at times higher up and if he wasnt marking he was hurting the oppo. His games as a deep fwd were great but did spend a few halves quarters at times down back when they needed him and was a rock down there. Dominated every tassie league aswell.

I must have taken a toilet break every time he went into the back lines then. And we have very different definitions of dominating.

I do disagree with those saying he couldn't make it as a defender though. I've always said it's where he'd fit in best.

People see what they want to see.

They threw away Hamling early as well.

Yes aware of that. Hamline probably after 3 years was ready to play. I remember watching him playing VFL and thought it was time but thats the way it goes. ..and he was a pick in 20's , Sch was a Rookie B pick.. so with Hamling they burnt an early pick.

It was a tougher backline to break into. Probably an example of how FA can cost you as they went for Rivers.

Most clubs have skeletons some where. How did Kelly take so long to be drafted, why didnt a WA side Rookie him? How did Menegola not succeed at Freo? One looks at Linc McCartney at Brisb and wonder ..how the hellhe could not stay fit at Geelong.

If you get it right 50% of the time you are probably doing well.

Love to know your thoughts on Simpsons quote KM. Do
You feel it’s how modern recruiting is done?

Would be interested to know the player Simpson was referring to.

Interesting to hear his thoughts re. recruiting. What I've found with West Coast's recruiting over the years is that it has been consistently conservative in that they'd take by far and away the highest proportion of players who were great in the years prior to their draft year. I have found as a result of doing that while there have been the successes from doing so (Darling an obvious one where he far exceeded his draft position) it has probably led to below average performance on average and while often times guys can play more immediately under this methodology, their upside tends to be more limited over the long run as the picks tend not to be those who only came good in their draft years which means it's not those late developers coming through who often times still have a lot more development to come.

As for the concept explored there by Simpson, I'm still a take the talent guy, but I do understand the thought process that sometimes it's just easier to take the academic type of kid who already joins the program with a relatively high level of professionalism and work ethic. And generally they're lower floor picks. The downfall if there is a concerted focus on taking these types though is you'll miss out on opportunities in the form of others who may not necessarily tick those boxes. Sure it's a nice to have if they're a good kick, have the work ethic and have brains, but I wouldn't make it a prerequisite. No doubt with COVID clubs have been hit hard and they may not as easily be able to help some of the more challenging recruits develop, and that does have an impact, but I'd make an effort to do what I have to, to make sure to find a way to cater to the kids individuals needs, whatever that is, if they're good enough.

I've only noticed Callow as a forward also this year in the games I've seen. I haven't seen him in defence either this year.

I just of course like how his attributes have the scope to translate for the purposes of AFL play.

I do however consider your sentiment as talking down what Callow was doing, and I certainly view his play in a much more positive light.

He had the two successive best-on-ground level dominant games. And the two games before that Callow was also influential. He was taking contested grabs, and when he couldn't, he was bringing it to ground and when he wasn't kicking goals, he was hitting his i50 targets and setting them up for goals kicked. During that four week period, he was the competition's dominant key forward.

Callow is one of those rare key forwards where his numbers are strong, but his influence will always exceed his numbers.

Would be interested to know the player Simpson was referring to.
He wasn't referring to anyone specifically. He was making the case, however clumsily, that soft cap cuts make it more difficult to provide the development and welfare necessary for prospects with off-field issues.

He wasn't referring to anyone specifically. He was making the case, however clumsily, that soft cap cuts make it more difficult to provide the development and welfare necessary for prospects with off-field issues.

Just wants an expanded soft cap. Makes sense.

Obviously it would be greatly beneficial for WCE which is why he's making the argument, because they've got that greater capacity than most clubs to spend as one of the clubs with the very strongest financial positions.

Without going back to see what you guys are referring to i do know at one stage Simpson was referring to soft cap cuts in reference to not being able to provide willie rioli with the support he needed while away from the game

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Without going back to see what you guys are referring to i do know at one stage Simpson was referring to soft cap cuts in reference to not being able to provide willie rioli with the support he needed while away from the game

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Yeah it's a case he's been pushing for a while now. It's just blown up today because he made some comments about the type of kids clubs will prefer to draft that look bad out of context. It's a very similar situation to Matt Rendell a few years back.

I must have taken a toilet break every time he went into the back lines then. And we have very different definitions of dominating.

I do disagree with those saying he couldn't make it as a defender though. I've always said it's where he'd fit in best.
Exactly, though it must have been when I went and made a coffee.
I did watch several of his TSL games last year and only the once did I see him play down back for a fair stretch of a game.

IMO he was basically saying indigenous players. Clubs won’t be able to put in the additional support required

He man, I haven’t seen much of you around the draft board, other than recently talking up Callow.

Some of the posters who are engaging you in discussion are long time posters, who have built up reputations here over many years as very good draft watchers, who go to games every week and watch the kids in person.

When they give an insight in to kids, especially if it’s kids from their own State who they watch live, people pay attention and take on board what they’re saying.

It’s great that you’re watching Callow at Box Hill, and he’s improved since being drafted. No one’s wishing ill of the kid, just giving their appraisal of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back