News Clarko gone - Hawthorn coach exit brought forward to end of 2021 season

Remove this Banner Ad

How many of those premiership coaches were sacked. I believe only Alan Joyce who was handed the reins to one of the all time greatest dynasties.

To the best of my knowledge no Hawthorn 'Premiership coach' has ever been 'Sacked'...

At the risk on being pedantic, Alan Joyce was not sacked, simply his coaching contract was not renewed after he and the club could not agree to the terms of his extension. In Joyce's defense the club were asking a two-time Premiership coach to accept a 30% pay-cut.

Similar situation with David Parkin when he left the Hawks to coach the Blues in 1981. His less than amicable departure was mainly because he sided with the players over an ongoing pay dispute, after most of them were promised increased salaries following the clubs 1978 Premiership. He and some club administrators had a huge bust-up over this, resulting with the club not extending Parkin's contract. From all reports he did not speak to President of the time, Ron Cook, until decades later...

Last edited:
You allowed it by virtue doing fu** all.
What were we meant to do? Storm the Capitol building? There was simply no mechanism whereby supporters or even members could intervene in what was a rapidly evolving situation. Footy clubs are borderline dictatorships, members don’t get to vote on much, let alone who gets the coaching job. The only thing members can do is work towards removing Kennett, but that won’t happen overnight.

So was this Clarkson's plan all along? Or did he genuinely plan to stay only to change his mind?

I initially thought the latter, now I'm not so sure.

I assume he wanted to stay under his terms, but Kennett and Mitchell didnt want that. So he organised for him to get an early payout.

In 2022 he can earn a heap of money coaching or earn a heap of money to not coach. Its his choice.

I assume he wanted to stay under his terms, but Kennett and Mitchell didnt want that. So he organised for him to get an early payout.

In 2022 he can earn a heap of money coaching or earn a heap of money to not coach. Its his choice.
What were his terms?

I think there's a chance that once he knew Mitchell would be taking over at the end of 2022, it was all about leaving with a payout.

What were his terms?

I think there's a chance that once he knew Mitchell would be taking over at the end of 2022, it was all about leaving with a payout.

He would be the coach and Mitchell woukd be the assisant and could offer advice on a bunch of things but Clarko is the boss.

My guess is Mitchell wanted far more input on a range of things so he could really start being a coach a year early.

The perfect plan lasted a week which is frankly pathetic. Kennett probably thought himself so clever with his plan. But if Clarko ends up elsewhere at a team he gets to finals and we dont then its not so clever.

With our list and no injuries and a top 2 mid in the draft we would easily be a 10th to 12th placed team next year.

Even with injuries to a heap of our top players we have beaten or matched a bunch of top teams.

He would be the coach and Mitchell woukd be the assisant and could offer advice on a bunch of things but Clarko is the boss.
Was that not the arrangement for 2022?

Why wouldn't Clarkson simply prefer to be paid out and take a year off? That seems like a much better deal than having to go to work every day, effectively warming the seat for Mitchell to take over the following year.

agree,from the outside Clarkson is the clear early winner on all fronts,doesnt have to work next year to earn 1.2 million
guys achieved greatness and has nothing left to prove, left nothing out on the table,Kennet,youve been outplayed
pal,demolished at your own game,Clarkson waking up every morning for the next 13 months being kissed on the wick all
because of Kennetts pathetic ego...lol...game,set n match, Clarkson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So does he coach next year, or wait it out?

If its next year its the Suns, or us.

I cant see him wanting to go to a club at the start of a rebuild, rather one that has done the hard yards already.
Surely he takes a year off, given he's already been paid by Hawthorn. And then gets a blank check to coach GC.

There's no financial incentive for him to coach anywhere in 2022.

Surely he takes a year off, given he's already been paid by Hawthorn. And then gets a blank check to coach GC.

There's no financial incentive for him to coach anywhere in 2022.
In fact there is an incentive not to coach if it *s over the people that forced him out. They have to pay full price, not a discounted one if he is being paid by someone else.

In fact there is an incentive not to coach if it fu**s over the people that forced him out. They have to pay full price, not a discounted one if he is being paid by someone else.
Why does Hawthorn get a discount on his payout if another club hires him?

In fact there is an incentive not to coach if it fu**s over the people that forced him out. They have to pay full price, not a discounted one if he is being paid by someone else.
I'm not sure he'll do it out of spite. It's simply a case of why do it if he can't get paid more than if was to sit on the beach for 12 months?

Why does Hawthorn get a discount on his payout if another club hires him?
If he earns a coaching salary, the Hawthorn payout gets reduced to reflect that. It's an alternative to a non-compete clause.

Was that not the arrangement for 2022?

Why wouldn't Clarkson simply prefer to be paid out and take a year off? That seems like a much better deal than having to go to work every day, effectively warming the seat for Mitchell to take over the following year.

It was the arrangement. But as I said, my guess is Mitchell wanted to have a lot more say a lot sooner so that they ended up more like co-coaches. I certainly wouldnt want to work under those conditions.

As for why wouldnt he just go? He made promises to members, the club and most importantly the players. He doesnt seem like the type to quit and walk away.

Though given the agreement lasted all of 1 week you have to wonder just how hard Clarko and Mitchell tried.

agree,from the outside Clarkson is the clear early winner on all fronts,doesnt have to work next year to earn 1.2 million
guys achieved greatness and has nothing left to prove, left nothing out on the table,Kennet,youve been outplayed
pal,demolished at your own game,Clarkson waking up every morning for the next 13 months being kissed on the wick all
because of Kennetts pathetic ego...lol...game,set n match, Clarkson

Check out our board. There are plenty of regular posters who have already jumped on board the "Blame Clarko, Back Mitchell" train. Its pathetic.

Clarko was contracted and the club sought to undermine him and effectively wanted him to play caretaker for Mitchell who has 2 years assistant coach experience, and one year running Box Hill. Against a guy with 4 flags over 17 years who clearly still knows how to get him players to play above their ability (unless people believe we have a better list than Sydney, GWS, Brisbane, and a midfield equal to Melbourne).

Kennett has botched this massively. Mitchell should have been told to stay at Box Hill for 2022, or he was free to take Collingwood and we could then replace Clarko or extend him for 2023.

It was the arrangement. But as I said, my guess is Mitchell wanted to have a lot more say a lot sooner so that they ended up more like co-coaches.
That's your guess, even after you ridiculed the reporting to this effect? When did that become your guess?

As for why wouldnt he just go? He made promises to members, the club and most importantly the players. He doesnt seem like the type to quit and walk away.
Isn't that exactly what happened? Maybe it was simply about negotiating a full payout.

Surely if Clarko coaches next year he still keeps his entire payout from Hawthorn + whatever the new club pays him.

Why would Hawthorn get any discount to their softcap, given they have spent the money to pay him out?

That's your guess, even after you ridiculed the reporting to this effect? When did that become your guess?

Isn't that exactly what happened? Maybe it was simply about negotiating a full payout.

Probably around the time the club admitted it wasnt going to work.

The truly disappointing thing is they couldnt wait 2 weeks to give it a try. All parties threw in the towel.

Im sure Clarko wanted the money he was owed but he was entitled to it. The club made the change and had the transition idea, not him. Everything that has gone wrong is on Kennett and Mitchell. Clarko simply got what he was owed.

Probably around the time the club admitted it wasnt going to work.

The truly disappointing thing is they couldnt wait 2 weeks to give it a try. All parties threw in the towel.

Im sure Clarko wanted the money he was owed but he was entitled to it. The club made the change and had the transition idea, not him. Everything that has gone wrong is on Kennett and Mitchell. Clarko simply got what he was owed.
That's one way of looking at it. Clarkson does appear to have lied through his teeth at various stages.

I think maybe when he said he was happy to walk away... but before then what do you think he lied about?

Id say he has been by far the most honest out of any of them.
What about his 15-minute sermon about how he'll definitely be there "in sickness and in health"? Nek minnit, goneski.

Surely we should assume this was bubbling along for a while, and the public messaging was a complete charade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back