News Clarko gone - Hawthorn coach exit brought forward to end of 2021 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Bingo, though there will be some weird narrative by some people when they are still struggling next year attributing it to Clarko being gone.

The decisions from 2016 close season to now with Hawthorn really don’t look good and was Clarko trying to take a shortcut to a flag because he couldn’t be added doing a build of the list again.

So yes I think Clarko great football brain of course, but I don’t think him or any coach are messiahs who will bring success wherever they go.
I have no issue with him attempting to get the best out of those who had tasted success before, and suiting them up to have another shot(Rough, Breust, Gunston, Smith, Frawley, McEvoy, Burgoyne, Shiels etc), and I was backing that too because why wouldn’t you back in a 4 time premiership coach to be able to do it, but it ultimately didn’t work and he has to own that.

Luckily, with the players we’ve unearthed this year we in a much better spot list wise than we were last time we sacked a coach, and with Mitchell doing good things with Box Hill(far more attacking) there’s a lot of Hawks fans looking forward to Sam having control of the list decisions and gamestyle.

Clarkson will remain a legend of the club, and all Hawks fans will forever love him for the sustained period of success, but all good things must come to an end.

4 in 18 years is a flag every 4.5 years
13 in 60 years is a flag every 4.61 years

And the Hawks have had 11 coaches since 1960
How many of those premiership coaches were sacked. I believe only Alan Joyce who was handed the reins to one of the all time greatest dynasties.

4 in 18 years is a flag every 4.5 years
13 in 60 years is a flag every 4.61 years

And the Hawks have had 11 coaches since 1960
I don’t subscribe to the argument of ‘4 flags in 18 years’. It was actually 4 flags in 10 years. Were Hawthorn supporters expecting more flags to follow after a 3peat?

His downfall in recent years was his inability to press reset sooner, and with more conviction, but that doesn’t diminish the fact he actually won his 4 flags in 10 years.

How many of those premiership coaches were sacked. I believe only Alan Joyce who was handed the reins to one of the all time greatest dynasties.

David Parkin too - it’s a bit of a myth that the family club is less ruthless and more respectful of club greats than others.

David Parkin is the only Hawthorn premiership captain (1971) and coach (1978)...

Only lasted 4 years, won a flag and finished as PF’ist (missed a Grand Final after losing a SF by 2pts)

The way that David Parkin was handled (leading to Alan Jeans appointment) led to a player strike in 1981

Losing Russell was a significant loss. The AFL senior coaching ranks have previous Clarkson assistants Hardwick, Beveridge, Simpson, Cameron, and Fagan - and that is not even counting assistants! Over recent years, players not getting on the park due to injury have cost Hawthorn wins (Scully, O’Mera, Patton, Sicily )

At no time has Hawthorn under Clarkson’s direction has Hawthorn not tried to win. So have paid off, others haven’t. Sicily, May, Gunston and Impey make Hawthorn a 3 - 6 goal better side.

I don’t think Clarkson is done as a coach.

I don’t subscribe to the argument of ‘4 flags in 18 years’. It was actually 4 flags in 10 years. Were Hawthorn supporters expecting more flags to follow after a 3peat?

His downfall in recent years was his inability to press reset sooner, and with more conviction, but that doesn’t diminish the fact he actually won his 4 flags in 10 years.

Yup, agreed. He stubbornly tried to cling to the belief that they could still make finals, when in reality they should have hit the draft hard. Recruiting Mitchell was fine, he has been a great player, but Wingard and O'meara were not worth what they gave up for them. The backbone of the Hawks success was great players from the draft who they then complimented with trades from elsewhere, such as Lake and Gunston.

With the right list, Clarkson would still do great. I think he would do well at Carlton, or even GWS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Losing Russell was a significant loss. The AFL senior coaching ranks have previous Clarkson assistants Hardwick, Beveridge, Simpson, Cameron, and Fagan - and that is not even counting assistants! Over recent years, players not getting on the park due to injury have cost Hawthorn wins (Scully, O’Mera, Patton, Sicily )

At no time has Hawthorn under Clarkson’s direction has Hawthorn not tried to win. So have paid off, others haven’t. Sicily, May, Gunston and Impey make Hawthorn a 3 - 6 goal better side.

I don’t think Clarkson is done as a coach.

Not tried to win, 2005 mysteriously blowing a big lead v Richmond to ensure no more than 5 wins.

FWIW it was a dumb system at the time and everyone in a position to get an additional priority pick did it.

Yup, agreed. He stubbornly tried to cling to the belief that they could still make finals, when in reality they should have hit the draft hard. Recruiting Mitchell was fine, he has been a great player, but Wingard and O'meara were not worth what they gave up for them. The backbone of the Hawks success was great players from the draft who they then complimented with trades from elsewhere, such as Lake and Gunston.

With the right list, Clarkson would still do great. I think he would do well at Carlton, or even GWS.

Wasn’t like hawthorn were doomed to a long period in the wilderness after 2016 regardless, decisions made since then which have not worked means it will be a longer time down the bottom though.

Still need to replace guys like McEvoy, Breust, gunstan and shiels too.

Some decent young guys, but every club has at least some decent young players.

Wasn’t like hawthorn were doomed to a long period in the wilderness after 2016 regardless, decisions made since then which have not worked means it will be a longer time down the bottom though.

Still need to replace guys like McEvoy, Breust, gunstan and shiels too.

Some decent young guys, but every club has at least some decent young players.
Reeves will replace McEvoy, but is still very green. He may end up being the best ruck we've had for some time with the way he's come on in the last 12 months.

Our list is now built from the backline, with Jiath, Day, Sicily, Scrimshaw, Impey, Hardwick and DGB. With Kosi, Leiws and Jeka, Brockman and Moore developing we might have some pieces forward of centre, but it's the middle that needs a lot of work with its system and output, and I'll be very glad to see the end of Bolton.

Wasn’t handled in the best of ways but no coach is owed more years. He’s been there 17 years, Hawks spinning their wheels for five years, was probably time.

It's generally accepted that coaches tend to have 10 years to produce a flag.

Clarkson has produced 4. Should get 40 years without a peep tbh.

And yet after 17 - basically averaging a flag every 4 years - this is the way he's treated. Epic lols.

Shambles.

So Hawthorn chose Kennett over Clarkson.

What a boneheaded move.

The whole thing reeks of Clarkson sticking it to Kennett and the CEO.

His time was up the moment the 'succession plan' was hastily cobbled together. He could've hung around for 2022 but everyone knew it wasn't his idea, he didn't want to be a part of it and any planning for recruitment, assistant coaches etc. would be done for the impending Mitchell era.

I believe Clarkson when he says he doesn't know what his next move is, but he just bought himself time. Maybe he does coach Carlton or Collingwood, but they don't know what they are doing yet either. He doesn't have to agree to a move and get a release from his contract, he can take or leave any offer that comes his way. Wins the ego battle, pockets the cheque and sails off into the sunset.

So Hawthorn chose Kennett over Clarkson.

What a boneheaded move.

what a boneheaded comment, hawthorn is not kennett, i cant stand kennet and im sure most hawks supporters dont either, we didnt choose kennett to be president and we didnt choose kennett to backstab clarko, kennnett is just a dog. dont confuse hawthorn fc with us choosing kennett, or that the board or the pres are hawthorn theyre not, hawks are the real supporters and no real supporter would have clarko going out in this way.

what a boneheaded comment, hawthorn is not kennett, i cant stand kennet and im sure most hawks supporters dont either, we didnt choose kennett to be president and we didnt choose kennett to backstab clarko, kennnett is just a dog. dont confuse hawthorn fc with us choosing kennett, or that the board or the pres are hawthorn theyre not, hawks are the real supporters and no real supporter would have clarko going out in this way.
Except that Kennett as the president is the public face of the board and the club. He could have been reined in, but he wasn’t.

I heard Kennett earlier this year (may have been last year) talking about coaches in general and got the impression he thought they had far too much credit/influence in how they are perceived.

It's always been an unusual, almost grudging relationship Clarkson and Kennett

Pretty sure theyve always hated eachother and Kennett has waited for his chance.

Kennett wants to rule. He owns the CEO and now owns the coach. Mission accomplished.

And yet you did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back