Prediction How do we replace Bruce for finals?

How should we replace Josh Bruce for Finals

• Sweet/ Young in ruck & English forward

Votes: 42 55.3%
  • Schache forward

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Cordy forward

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • Young forward

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Go small (I.e Naughton/ Marra with Weightman, VDM, Garcia

Votes: 14 18.4%
  • Bontempelli forward

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Wallis forward

Votes: 4 5.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The Inbetweener

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2011
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There is plenty of talk across multiple threads on the best way to replace Bruce, but I was keen to see everyone else’s opinion.

This is based on worst case scenario that Martin isn’t available, as playing him ruck and English forward seems to be the clear preference.

This is going to sound absurd but with our abundance of riches in the midfield, can Bontempelli play more at full forward?

If so there are a few scenarios.
  1. Most preferable is we have Martin or Sweet back and English fills the role
  2. When Keath and/or Gardner return then I would actually move Cordy up forward
  3. Marcus plays 70/30 forward/mid
  4. Wallis takes his place back as a permanent key forward. This is the least desirable outcome.
  5. Cry

I think we just do the Martin or Sweet in the ruck and English forward thing. But if we play Melbourne, English must take the centre bounces with Gawn. He’s a better centre bounce ruck than Sweet.

the other alternative is putting Bont forward more now that the mids are back.

Jamarra isn’t ready so we shouldn’t put undue pressure on him.

Wallis and Hannan will probably end up coming in and pretend to be talls though. Cody can too.

Having another ruck worked so well in the first half of the year.

Sweet loses one game against Gawn (and the odd VFL) and all of a sudden hes rejected. Yet we give others chance after chance in areas we can replace them normally (hannan, Cordy etc)

Pfft.

A mixture of Weightman being isolated deep & English spending more time fwd.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Cordy rucking. At least we know he gives a contest. He'd be smashed in the hitouts though.

We’ve already got Naughton and Marra and English. Richmond and us in 2016 have shown you don’t need a land of giants in the 50 to win . Manic pressure on the opposition backline can be Plan B now that Plan A has partially disappeared. I trust Bev, expect the unexpected. VDM’s return would be ideal .

I don’t know what to expect from Stef Martin but if he’s hurt his Achilles that’s a world of trouble from my limited medical understanding, it affects your gait and you run with pain .

No way would I move Bont forward that’s the definition of robbing Pete to pay Paul.

Not necessarily what I’d like to see, but what I predict probably will happen:

Hannan takes Bruce’s spot playing as a pseudo tall
yeah, thats the default position, and the least disruption or change, but not my preferred either, Hannan just doesnt commit his body and do the hard things like Bruce does.

Honestly think Cordy should play permanent forward. Offers a level of physicality that would have defenders looking over their shoulder and hesitating at times.

English will struggle playing permeant forward. When the focus is on him he goes missing. Much more effective as a floating forward as the defense often lose him.

Bont the same as English. Won't have as big an impact as you think playing forward. Plus we lose the 2 goals, 500+ metres gained and however many score involvements he currently gets a game.

Cordy, Naughton, Weightman, Hannan, JJ, Vandermeer with English floating forward, I think is our best setup. Vandermeer's been out for a while but loves the physical stuff and if he's fit he should play.

Jamarra and Garcia should not play finals. They won't cope with the intensity and physicality. They will go missing and have no impact and we can't afford that. Need everyone contributing. They've had a good taste of it, now they need another good preseason and to put on some muscle.

Desperately need Martin back in the ruck otherwise it's Street and I can't see us winning a premiership with him.

Hoepfully Keith and Gardner back in defense with Wood, Duryea, Williams and Dale

Out: Scott, JUH, Garcia, Richards, Schache, Bruce

In: Martin, Keith, Gardner, Weightman, Hannan, Vandermeer

Gee I must be watching the wrong Cordy, people thinking he is going to offer physicality up forward. Maybe when he was young and enthusiastic in 2016 he did its reasonable yet that Cordy is well gone. There has been plenty of times he could have crashed into forwards in marking contests this year and he doesn't do it. He prefers to play is front avoiding contact.

I'd go Sweet/Martin, English up forward, yet wouldn't be surprise it Bevo stick with English and goes small.

Gee I must be watching the wrong Cordy, people thinking he is going to offer physicality up forward. Maybe when he was young and enthusiastic in 2016 he did its reasonable yet that Cordy is well gone. There has been plenty of times he could have crashed into forwards in marking contests this year and he doesn't do it. He prefers to play is front avoiding contact.

I'd go Sweet/Martin, English up forward, yet wouldn't be surprise it Bevo stick with English and goes small.
Cordy gets drawn up into the zoning no mans land too often, did any one else notice him come up to the contest when we already had 3 players converging on the ball carrier, allowing Wright the joe the goose goal?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’ve already got Naughton and Marra and English. Richmond and us in 2016 have shown you don’t need a land of giants in the 50 to win . Manic pressure on the opposition backline can be Plan B now that Plan A has partially disappeared. I trust Bev, expect the unexpected. VDM’s return would be ideal .

I don’t know what to expect from Stef Martin but if he’s hurt his Achilles that’s a world of trouble from my limited medical understanding, it affects your gait and you run with pain .

No way would I move Bont forward that’s the definition of robbing Pete to pay Paul.

I agree, but I think a bit more of Bont forward will give other teams the shakes. Even if it's just a few minutes here and there.

It's worked in finals before...

I think if we bring in Wallis and/or Hannan, we should utilise Naughton further a field. Then we can stream in around him with handball options as much as possible and spot up guys like Wallis and Weightman who are both reliable in front of goal.

I think if we bring in Wallis and/or Hannan, we should utilise Naughton further a field. Then we can stream in around him with handball options as much as possible and spot up guys like Wallis and Weightman who are both reliable in front of goal.

That's the key - reliable in front of goals. We create plenty of chances, doesn't matter who we play there, I just want us to convert. Do that and we'll be fine, s*** the bed in front of goal like Sunday and we won't be around long.

English plays as a forward first, second and third and then as a second Ruck.

Sweet / Martin Ruck - for a team that is prepared to concede the ruck contests play Sweet at least he will bash and crash.

Cordy forward - He is awkward but a good awkward in that he plays with misguided intensity and causes collateral damage. Things happen around him so best place for things to happen around him is in our forward line.

Schache - stays as a defender and I want to see him play with Keath in the side I think it will help him and the side.

The way we win the flag is our one wood needs to dominate. That is our midfield they all need to be at their best. Except for the cats we will be losing the ruck contest badly against the dees and by a fair way against Port. Just need to accept this do not think Martin will be back.

English offers more around the ground than Sweet however I think English's value forward offers more than we lose with Sweet around the ground.

Once you decide on Sweet/English (Mustard) then I think it is a choice between Marra or Hannan. Personally I would go with Marra and Naughton plays as CHF. He is probably a better kick for goal further out than close in anyway.

Whilst we concentrating on forward structure our deficiency is minus possessions in our back half. According to Leppa we are 18th in this area. Not sure if this is personal or game style probably a bit of both. We do not tag in the midfield so the opposition often gets clean entries, we also like to play a high defensive structure plus we prefer attacking defenders rather dour types with the exception of Gardiner.

We know Geelong like to get Stewart free to intercept and control the ball with chip passing and hope Hawkins and Cameron are to good up forward. There midfield is probably the weakest of the top 4 especially without Duncan.

The Dees have a top ruckman, a good midfield and defence and an up down forward structure.

Port rely on Ollie Wines and a winning defence.

Yes it gets harder without Bruce but when it gets tough the tough get going. Bont, Libba, Jacko the keys to a Bulldog flag.

Come on down Lewis Young. Time to put on the big boy pants and own a spot in our forward line. Can’t see Bevo wanting to get away from the setup we’ve pretty much had all year. Two and a half talls (Marra or Hannan) with one of the talls chopping out English in the ruck.
I think I’ve seen enough that Young can provide a target up forward and give the opposition enough worry that they can’t double team Naughton.
I think it’s his only shot at becoming a Bulldog regular. Just don’t see it defensively with him.

I would suggest that he is coached to play in front - and plays the structure as directed by the coaches.

One question, if we're prepared to concede the ruck then why play someone there who gives us nothing else around the ground? Eg sweet

Better to play a decoy ruck who has a second role.

One question, if we're prepared to concede the ruck then why play someone there who gives us nothing else around the ground? Eg sweet

Better to play a decoy ruck who has a second role.

Conceding does not mean the opposition puts it down the throat of their midfielders or punch the ball with ease to CHF.

Conceding does not mean let the opposition do as they wish in the ruck it means making it as hard as possible for the opposition ruck to dictate terms even if we are not prepared or have the ability to dictate terms.

Back