Prediction Round 1 2022 Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully by this time next year Reeves, Grainger-Barras, Brockman and Newcombe are best 22.

I think Shiels, Howe and Morrison will all struggle to hold their spot with a full list to choose from.

There’s plenty of scope for improvement in the midfield if Day, Bramble and Impey can be part of the new rotation.

Hopefully by this time next year Reeves, Grainger-Barras, Brockman and Newcombe are best 22.

I think Shiels, Howe and Morrison will all struggle to hold their spot with a full list to choose from.

There’s plenty of scope for improvement in the midfield if Day, Bramble and Impey can be part of the new rotation.
I think Howe has stepped up magnificently in the last three or four weeks. I think he'll be a regular member of the 22.

Just rolling back a min and pouring over some of the teams here it’s clearly evident we are deeper list wise than one thinks ....🤔

We have been for a while, we've largely underachieved compared to what we have on paper. That's what has made the past few years most difficult to stomach I think.

I think Howe has stepped up magnificently in the last three or four weeks. I think he'll be a regular member of the 22.

Howe had 1 game at VFL level this year, had 37 touches with 9 tackles and kicked 2 goals. Anyone suggesting he's close to out of our best 22 is having a giggle, only way he's out is if he's traded.

Howe had 1 game at VFL level this year, had 37 touches with 9 tackles and kicked 2 goals. Anyone suggesting he's close to out of our best 22 is having a giggle, only way he's out is if he's traded.

He was in many ways our quiet achiever in 2021. As the months rolled by, what looked like an experimental or necessary move of putting him out on a wing just started looking better and better. For a guy whose body is naturally suited to the bash and crash of stoppages, he's really blossomed as an outside runner.

That point also makes him a tough prospect for the outsider players he's opposed to, since he gets up and down the park with decent wheels, and can mark and win the ball when its his turn to go.

I think from memory his top end speed is actually pretty good too, it just takes him a while to get over the first 20 or so.

His skills also started to look a lot better. A lot of our guys seemed to get cleaner with disposal as the year wound down, but he was getting bigger numbers to go with it.

Be great to see if he can maintain his form, or continue the uptick next year.

Just rolling back a min and pouring over some of the teams here it’s clearly evident we are deeper list wise than one thinks ....🤔

We're definitely at a point where the guys who will break in are going to have to start to show something above average to grab a spot. Not a bad place to be though, hopefully we get one or two at the draft who can do just that.

Little re-visit before draft, trades and FA

FB Hardwick - Hartigan - Frost
HB Day - Sicily - Scrimshaw
C Bramble - Mitchell - Jiath
HF Moore - Lewis - Worpel
FF Breust - Gunston - McEvoy
R Reeves - Newcombe - Wingard
IC O'Meara - Impey - Koschitzke - Phillips

EMG DGB - Nash - Shiels - Howe - Brockman - Ceglar - Downie - O'Brien - Morrison - Morris

We have been for a while, we've largely underachieved compared to what we have on paper. That's what has made the past few years most difficult to stomach I think.
This.

We also had the equal most Elite players on the list in 2021 with Lions and Dogs according to Champion Data heading into the season, and they’d not even counted Tom in that. Injuries didn’t help of course, but our first half of the year was pretty horrible.

Round 1 2022 should see a far greater team out on the park than what we ran out with in Round 23, but I’ll hold fire now on what that may look like until trade period is over.

This.

We also had the equal most Elite players on the list in 2021 with Lions and Dogs according to Champion Data heading into the season, and they’d not even counted Tom in that. Injuries didn’t help of course, but our first half of the year was pretty horrible.

Round 1 2022 should see a far greater team out on the park than what we ran out with in Round 23, but I’ll hold fire now on what that may look like until trade period is over.

You know, based on the two Champion Data Teams of the Year, we'll go into next year in a similar boat, depending on the position they give Wingard.

We had 3 players in there, Wingard, Breust and Moore.

Last edited:
balance

EMG DGB - Nash - Shiels - Howe - Brockman - Ceglar - Downie - O'Brien - Morrison - Morris

JOM would be on the ground.

I reckon a big bodied mid like Howe or Nash would be best 22 for team balance.

I'd love to squeeze DGB in the best 22 but it's a position we're pretty stacked in.

Some reasonable with that 22, be interesting to see how it would go.

Champion data is a lot of nonsense at times I feel, not sure how much I'd read into it.

I think it actually did a good job representing our list. Elite players up forward (Breust, Gunston, Wingard all elite on output at the start of this season), only average and above average performers in the midfield. James Sicily elite down back.

Hard to argue with that, except maybe Wingard - but that was because he was still classified a forward.

Easy to forget with him out for over a season, but Sicily was elite by Champion Data over the previous 2 years for a reason. Won the most defensive 1v1s of any defender, didn't neutralise them, won them. He won it more than his opponent and killed the ball the rest of the time. Elite disposal, metres gained, got forward for outside 50 goals. I miss him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Before Sicily got injured, Scrimshaw and Jiath were not in the best 22 at the time, Impey was still out injured, and Bramble wasn’t on the list.

Add the recent moves of O’Brien and Morris from half forwards to half backs, we’ve now got plenty of small/medium defenders on the list.

It would be tempting to play Sicily up forward alongside Gunston. Giving us some firepower in that forward-line.

Yeah I backed him in after the first, but the second surgery makes it feel less likely he gets back to good footy. Anyone that's ever had disc problems and tried to run would tell you just how uncomfortable that can be, and particularly with Gunston's strength being his craftiness at ground level and agility... not ideal preparation.
Nice to see this go through to the keeper I had them coming at me from all fronts daring to suggest something similar.

Before Sicily got injured, Scrimshaw and Jiath were not in the best 22 at the time, Impey was still out injured, and Bramble wasn’t on the list.

Add the recent moves of O’Brien and Morris from half forwards to half backs, we’ve now got plenty of small/medium defenders on the list.

It would be tempting to play Sicily up forward alongside Gunston. Giving us some firepower in that forward-line.
Every time Sicily has been moved forward though he’s looked lost. He’s a bit like TOB where he is a much better mark against someone trying to mark the ball versus spoil him.

Rather get games into Jeka, Lewis and Kosi. Plus Sicily doesn’t offer much with the ball on the ground.

We definitely have 'too many' HB line players that could be distributed elsewhere depending on how Mitchell wants the game plan to work.

Sicily can play forward
Impey can play wing
Bramble can play wing
Day can play wing now, but in the long term may be able to be the next Fyfe
Hardwick could play inside mid, or even a tagging style role
If we want to keep Sicily and Scrimshaw as the interceptors, CJ could move up to the wing

It will really depend on how the team gels.

As tempting as it is to release Sicily forward, i'd prefer to keep him back and release one of Impey or CJ up the field so we actually have line breakers on each line, or to get Day into the middle to use his poise there.

If Sicily is in Harriman doesn’t get a game in my opinion.

EDIT: Chucked in Howe for Phillips

On current list:

Hardwick Hartigan Impey

Sicily DGB Day

Scrimshaw Omeara Jiath

Reeves Worpel Mitchell

Moore Lewis Bruest

Brockman Kosi Gunston

Shiels Bramble Howe McEvoy

Ernergencies: Nash, Newcombe, Morris, Ceglar, Frost,

Last edited:
On current list:

Hardwick Hartigan Impey

Sicily DGB Day

Scrimshaw Omeara Jiath

Reeves Worpel Mitchell

Moore Lewis Bruest

Brockman Kosi Gunston

Shiels Bramble Phillips McEvoy

Ernergencies: Nash, Newcombe, Morris, Ceglar, Frost

Jeez. Tough on Nash considering his output in the last 4 or 5 weeks, reckon he'd feel more confident in his spot than Worpel on most recent form.

Despite a decent last game I reckon Brockman is the man most likely to miss out of that 22, if all are fit.

Jeez. Tough on Nash considering his output in the last 4 or 5 weeks, reckon he'd feel more confident in his spot than Worpel on most recent form.

Despite a decent last game I reckon Brockman is the man most likely to miss out of that 22, if all are fit.

Howe would probably have a spot too unless we move him on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back