• Van Demons

Votes: 19 6.0%
  • Devils

Votes: 270 85.4%
  • Tasmanian Tigers

Votes: 27 8.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't see the name "Tasmania" being an issue.

Plenty of sports teams in North America use their state/province name. Minnesota Twins, Minnesota Wild, Minnesota Vikings, Minnesota Timberwolves, Utah Jazz, Tennessee Titans, Texas Rangers, Colorado Rockies, Colorado Avalanche, Arizona Diamondbacks, Arizona Coyotes, Florida Panthers, New Jersey Devils, BC Bears, Saskatchewan Roughriders.

Closer to home, the NSW Waratahs and Queensland Reds aren't purely state representative teams in the rugby.

But if it remains an issue, call them the Tasmanian Devils, and always have their whole name said, like the Western Bulldogs.
Saskatchewan Roughriders is an abysmal name

Naming it after a city (or suburb) like most teams wouldn’t work in this case because you’d run the risk of alienating people not in that city. The only alternative I can think of would be to name it the Southern Whatevers, the NBL seemed to start down that path with the Southern Huskies but pivoted away.

It’s a team that will represent all of Tasmania, that’s how it’s being driven and sold, I don’t see why it wouldn’t be called Tasmania.

its Tasmania you knob

of course they want to incorporate the state name

im
Amazed you didn’t consider “ South Coast “ something

Yes, it's meaningless in terms of a 19th licence. Clearly the Tasmania Devils branding was not created for that, which I've already explained in the thread.

Perhaps it wasn't, but how it that even relevant to the subject of this thread...?

Please note the AFL Tasmanian Team Taskforce report and later submission documents clearly state the proposed 'Tasmanian Devils' name and one assumes the adoption of the current related logo which is already registered by the AFL and used on apparel for the underage teams. Furthermore here is the relevant extract from the 2019 taskforce document (18/268):

Summary proposed targets:
November 2020
Transfer of Devils assets to TFCL: Tasmanian Devils Football Club and associated IP to be transferred to TFCL. (NB: AFL Tasmania to retain operation and funding of U18s Devils (Male and Female), plus player pathways and TAC Cup teams.
Transitional year in concert with AFL and AFL Tasmania. Appointment of remaining executive roles and pursue new key football roles (Head of Football and Coach).
March 2022
Tasmanian Devils VFL Men and Women enter respective competitions.
February 2024
Tasmanian Devils AFLW team enter the AFLW competition.
March 2025
Tasmanian Devils AFL team enter the AFL competition.

Accordingly, I'm not sure I understand the point you are contending here...?

Last edited:
Tasmania Van Diemens

360_F_349330944_ok1pXoLq7JFCESjfvSQdQiVCZjyDneDS.jpg

Tassie Gunns

4275a1add4adad7e32fca49631d21ec0.jpg

Tasmania Scrubtits

487207.jpg

Tasmania Cannibals

145b96212f3f360d52ad719d6d941398--skull-drawings-tattoo-designs.jpg

Maps Of Tassie

300px-Pubic_hair.png

Perhaps it wasn't, but how it that even relevant to the subject of this thread...?
There are people in the thread, such as yourself, saying it's already been decided the Devils branding for NAB League teams etc would carry over to an AFL licence.

But that has not been decided, so stop spreading false information.

Please note the AFL Tasmanian Team Taskforce report and later submission documents clearly state the proposed 'Tasmanian Devils' name and one assumes the adoption of the current related logo which is already registered by the AFL and used on apparel for the underage teams. Furthermore here is the relevant extract from the 2019 taskforce document:

Summary proposed targets:
November 2020
Transfer of Devils assets to TFCL: Tasmanian Devils Football Club and associated IP to be transferred to TFCL. (NB: AFL Tasmania to retain operation and funding of U18s Devils (Male and Female), plus player pathways and TAC Cup teams.
Transitional year in concert with AFL and AFL Tasmania. Appointment of remaining executive roles and pursue new key football roles (Head of Football and Coach).
March 2022
Tasmanian Devils VFL Men and Women enter respective competitions.
February 2024
Tasmanian Devils AFLW team enter the AFLW competition.
March 2025
Tasmanian Devils AFL team enter the AFL competition.

Accordingly, I'm not sure I understand the point you are contending here...?
That is not written by the people who will be making the branding decisions for a Tasmanian AFL team, should such a team ever be created.

[QUOTE="Sweet Jesus, post: 71806665, member: 159044
Bandicoots would be awesome.
[/QUOTE]

“Carn the Coots…”

Doesn’t quite work.

If they go abstract, I could definitely see the 'Magic' or something along that theme getting up. You could still maybe incorporate the Tassie Devil into that somehow, likewise an Indigenous spirit, along with the witches, wizards, the mystical thylacine, dragons, etc. sort of thing. It could be a club with a throng of (semi-official fan) mascots, like the Olympics, and the cheer squad could go nuts with fantasy cosplay and create a real vibe, but TFC or 'the Magic' is the masthead logo. Green & Magic also go together. Ties into the supposed image of Tasmania, and complements events like Dark Mofo and some of the darker history. Fan discussion spaces would be called the Cauldron, the Pot, the Conjuring or something like that. You could even refer to the home ground as the 'Cauldron'. Kids would LOVE it, and I think it would bring something different to the existing nicks. As long as the kit doesn't veer too close to Port.

Cocaine is one hell of a drug…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

serious question, having seen some of the logos/jumper designs.

Tasmania Devils or Tasmanian Devils?

I assume, whichever is chosen, it will be shortened to Tassie, but the N does make it roll off the tongue easier - but is not the name of the location which would (ignoring Footscray’s change to Western) make it unique.

You could still maybe incorporate the Tassie Devil into that somehow, likewise an Indigenous spirit, along with the witches, wizards, the mystical thylacine, dragons, etc. sort of thing. It could be a club with a throng of (semi-official fan) mascots, like the Olympics, and the cheer squad could go nuts with fantasy cosplay and create a real vibe, but TFC or 'the Magic' is the masthead logo. Green & Magic also go together. Ties into the supposed image of Tasmania, and complements events like Dark Mofo and some of the darker history. Fan discussion spaces would be called the Cauldron, the Pot, the Conjuring or something like that. You could even refer to the home ground as the 'Cauldron'. Kids would LOVE it, and I think it would bring something different to the existing nicks. As long as the kit doesn't veer too close to Port.
WTF are you on about?

serious question, having seen some of the logos/jumper designs.

Tasmania Devils or Tasmanian Devils?

I assume, whichever is chosen, it will be shortened to Tassie, but the N does make it roll off the tongue easier - but is not the name of the location which would (ignoring Footscray’s change to Western) make it unique.
Tasmania, obviously.

Tasmania, obviously.

suppose, but as I said, it just doesn’t roll off the tongue as smoothly

it‘s like the Wests Tigers in the league (a result of a merger) - that final S in Wests throws the whole balance off. The Tasmania Devils just doesn’t sound quite right.

the natural way to say it would be Tasmanian Devils - and if the name is Tasmania, you’ll still have multitudes adding the N - and there’s nothing more infuriating to fan than someone getting the name wrong, even if it’s only a tiny thing (just ask any Giants fan about “The GWS”)

it might only seem minor and trivial, but it’s actually not, and something to consider.

suppose, but as I said, it just doesn’t roll off the tongue as smoothly

it‘s like the Wests Tigers in the league (a result of a merger) - that final S in Wests throws the whole balance off. The Tasmania Devils just doesn’t sound quite right.

the natural way to say it would be Tasmanian Devils - and if the name is Tasmania, you’ll still have multitudes adding the N - and there’s nothing more infuriating to fan than someone getting the name wrong, even if it’s only a tiny thing (just ask any Giants fan about “The GWS”)

it might only seem minor and trivial, but it’s actually not, and something to consider.
Take as long as you need to get your head around it.

Back