News Carlton parts ways with Cain Liddle - Post #400

Remove this Banner Ad

With all due respect, or lack thereof, to Liddle, the Board had a massive influence getting the club out of debt. There have been a number of people on the Board, whether or not you agree with how things were handled footballwise, that were directly responsible for getting the Club's finances back on track.
Not taking a side but we can't blame Cain for everything that happened on the field and then say that things that worked off the field had nothing to do with him.

He was the ceo. By any impartial judgement the club has been successful off the field but not on the field during his term as CEO.

It would be very surprising if we didn't have someone we considered to be better waiting in the wings. Let's move forward but let's give credit where credit is due along with blame.

Now Cain is gone, i feel like i can talk about it. He got rid of Silvagni because SOS is a my way or the highway type of guy, he was a list manager and had no people skills, and maybe didn't understand his place in the organisation and who he has to answer too. Like any business you answer to your manager and SOS never got that.

Cain has financially taken the club out of debt and helped build the membership base during COVID, I think that speaks for itself, although a lot of memberships were given away, you need to understand Carlton now have 20,000 more names on the books they can sell too in the future because of Cain.

I said in a post about Sayers that he has been a disaster, they are trying to change the constitution so members have virtually no say. If Carlton doesn’t get Brian Cook, Sayers needs to be removed immediately, aside from what he has done by not getting a coach, talking about getting a new CEO while still having a CEO, he has already made the club a laughing stock, and he has only been in charge for a minute.
I will take the "my way or highway" List manager who does not gift pick 8 to or award 6 year $800,000 contracts over a sly, image conscious narcisist who prioritises marketing headlines over obtaining the best result for my club

I will take the "my way or highway" List manager who does not gift pick 8 to or award 6 year $800,000 contracts over a sly, image conscious narcisist who prioritises marketing headlines over obtaining the best result for my club
SOS did give MMcG a 5 year deal on big money and traded 2x 2nd rounders to get him.

That said wiping out the debt is such an over rated achievement. I understand the last 18 months have been a challenging environment. Debt is cheap, $10m is a small amount given the turnover of the club and overly focusing on it at the detriment of performance on the field is counter productive. If Carlton play finals they will be far more profitable and have more members than they currently do. Get the football side right and the rest will take care of its self. Put in a few more seasons like the one we just had and we will be back struggling financially.

SOS did give MMcG a 5 year deal on big money and traded 2x 2nd rounders to get him.

That said wiping out the debt is such an over rated achievement. I understand the last 18 months have been a challenging environment. Debt is cheap, $10m is a small amount given the turnover of the club and overly focusing on it at the detriment of performance on the field is counter productive. If Carlton play finals they will be far more profitable and have more members than they currently do. Get the football side right and the rest will take care of its self. Put in a few more seasons like the one we just had and we will be back struggling financially.
SoS was over ruled on Mcgovern-let's get facts straight

Highly unlikely but if true he should have resigned then and there.

If you pin every wrong on Cain for his department (which I have no problem with if deserved) when mistakes are made then the list manager is responsible for all list management decisions.
I'm curious have you got a list of all the things Liddle got wrong to share totally agree he must have had somethign to do with somethings positve like give away memberships and paying off debt that coasts nothing to finance - asking for a friend.

I'm curious have you got a list of all the things Liddle got wrong to share totally agree he must have had somethign to do with somethings positve like give away memberships and paying off debt that coasts nothing to finance - asking for a friend.
The original commentary was regarding us overpaying for Saad and overpaying on contracts I responded that SOS did similar on Mitch McGovern.

I am neither a Cain Liddle supporter or prosecutor. I am comfortable that Luke Sayers has the best intentions to set us up for the future and am more than happy to wait till all appointments are made before making any judgements.

If you are looking to pick a fight about Cain Liddle you have come to the wrong place.

The original commentary was regarding us overpaying for Saad and overpaying on contracts I responded that SOS did similar on Mitch McGovern.

I am neither a Cain Liddle supporter or prosecutor. I am comfortable that Luke Sayers has the best intentions to set us up for the future and am more than happy to wait till all appointments are made before making any judgements.

If you are looking to pick a fight about Cain Liddle you have come to the wrong place.

Its ok to have a different opinion - they are always more intersting and engaging.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now Cain is gone, i feel like i can talk about it. He got rid of Silvagni because SOS is a my way or the highway type of guy, he was a list manager and had no people skills, and maybe didn't understand his place in the organisation and who he has to answer too. Like any business you answer to your manager and SOS never got that.

Cain has financially taken the club out of debt and helped build the membership base during COVID, I think that speaks for itself, although a lot of memberships were given away, you need to understand Carlton now have 20,000 more names on the books they can sell too in the future because of Cain.

I said in a post about Sayers that he has been a disaster, they are trying to change the constitution so members have virtually no say. If Carlton doesn’t get Brian Cook, Sayers needs to be removed immediately, aside from what he has done by not getting a coach, talking about getting a new CEO while still having a CEO, he has already made the club a laughing stock, and he has only been in charge for a minute.

Bruce Mathieson's pokies are what got the club out of debt. They were always supposed to take time to start making money and now they are.

Changing of the constitution doesn't eradicate the ability for members to vote. That's hyperbole and you are probably down with the new ticket to lump everything on Sayers as one of the two long term board members. I thought there was no need to change the amount of signatures for an EGM from 100 to 5% or whatever it is as well, but then I saw this disorganised rabble of a challenge forming and I realised these guys are wasting our money on an EGM to pander to their own amateur egos.

Why should SOS have answered to Liddle as far as recruiting goes? WTF does Liddle know about it? SOS answered to Swann and Trigg before. Liddle just came in and wanted to control everything to our detriment.

No Person at Carlton since the Elliott days has managed to get Carlton out of debt, so if you think a 1st year uni student can basically rebuild the stadium, get Carlton out of debt for the 1st time since Jehovah played half back for Jerusalem and raised membership by 20,000 perhaps you should apply for the job.

As I understand Cook is not in the bag, so just like with Lyon, by trying to get get no 1 you have pissed off No 2 and now you will end up with no 11.

Liddle was No 2 for sure, just not in terms of best candidates.

You are praying we don't get a decent coach or CEO aren't you? You want Carlton Now to get a chance to use the club as a plaything for the boys. Their lack of transparency is alarming. Won't even announce their ticket before an EGM is locked in.

That’s the bit I found most interesting...
It's suggestive that the new CEO will be trusted to make any further personal changes when they're appointed.

No Person at Carlton since the Elliott days has managed to get Carlton out of debt, so if you think a 1st year uni student can basically rebuild the stadium, get Carlton out of debt for the 1st time since Jehovah played half back for Jerusalem and raised membership by 20,000 perhaps you should apply for the job.

As I understand Cook is not in the bag, so just like with Lyon, by trying to get get no 1 you have pissed off No 2 and now you will end up with no 11.
Liddle didn't 'get carlton out of debt' on his own and its not even a great thing. do you understand that debt isn't a bad thing? JustaBattler can explain it for you if you wish to learn. I guess from your silly biblical reference you've no interest.

And the second paragraph? Lol wut. Not even worth.

Interesting thought... we know that Liddle is the one that has been leaking insider info to the media for weeks now... what's the chances therefore that he was behind the rumours that JSOS wanted to leave the club and move to Essendon after his dad was sacked by the club and his brother was delisted.

There are a couple of reasons why I am wondering about this now, but the biggest reason is because there would be zero chance of JSOS wanting to be traded to a club that he was brought up loathing.

Kinda makes you go hmmm.

Interesting thought... we know that Liddle is the one that has been leaking insider info to the media for weeks now... what's the chances therefore that he was behind the rumours that JSOS wanted to leave the club and move to Essendon after his dad was sacked by the club and his brother was delisted.

There are a couple of reasons why I am wondering about this now, but the biggest reason is because there would be zero chance of JSOS wanting to be traded to a club that he was brought up loathing.

Kinda makes you go hmmm.

"We" know this how Dram.

Has Sayers or anyone at the Club come out in public and pointed the finger at Liddle.

Everyone is just speculating.

Of course he was Michael, we are all aware, every player that does well, it was all SOS and every player that doesn’t come off, it was Teague, Lloyd, Liddle or poor development.
It's almost as though having a poster of someone over your bed rules you ineligible for anything other than devout worship..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back