Opinion Collingwood will return to finals footy in 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Moore, Maynard, Crisp and Quaynor is a very strong group

Yep. No issues with your backline.. it's your midfield (going fowards) and tall key forward stocks that is an issue for me, I do know you have some very talented and unseen talent in the VFL, least with midfield talent, and Daicos seems like a generational talent.

My advice to Dekker Hine and Collingwood's list management team is not try and pin hopes on a Weideman type battler, but try wait and wait to hit the draft to find one, Mihochek, Elliott and De Goey (provided all a healthy) should manage to keep the Pies scoring fairly competitive for the time being..

Not if your playing anyone with two forwards over 195. Crisp will be needed elsewhere.
Not a long term prospect but Harvey played Maynard as the second tall defender on the lead up forwards and he was very good, and hardly beaten. Kept Jack to 1 goal and 8 possessions against the Tiges.

As mentioned, Roughead is still there, as is Howe with Keane coming through and Madgen as depth/back up.

The back 6 is actually very, very good. Moore already an AA KPD, Maynard and Crisp are amongst the best in the competition not to receive an AA and Quaynor rarely gets beat one on one.

Yep. No issues with your backline.. it's your midfield (going fowards) and tall key forward stocks that is an issue for me, I do know you have some very talented and unseen talent in the VFL, least with midfield talent, and Daicos seems like a generational talent.

My advice to Dekker Hine and Collingwood's list management team is not try and pin hopes on a Weideman type battler, but try wait and wait to hit the draft to find one, Mihochek, Elliott and De Goey (provided all a healthy) should manage to keep the Pies scoring fairly competitive for the time being..
Nailed it.

Unfortunately the Pies historically just aren’t crash hot about recruiting KPFs or know how to pick them. I might’ve missed a couple along the way, but the last KPF Collingwood drafted that stayed there and was a hit would be Sav Rocca almost 30 years ago.o

EDIT: I think Travis Cloke was initially drafted as a KPD because he sure kicked like one. I could be wrong.

I'm not sure where you've plucked 7 years from. Collingwood has only 4 players contracted beyond 2022, so there is really only 12 months until we can confidently move on with a clean slate
I thought a few big, long ones went through just pre-covid when those kinds of contracts fell out of fashion

I thought he was more so referencing the recent battles the two sides have played off in. These games never seem to disappoint.

On a side note, I don’t think the Eagles will miss finals next year. A forward line with Allen, Darling and Ryan, midfield group with names like Yeo, Kelly and Sheed and a defence of McGovern, Barrass and Rotham sprinkled with the experience of NicNat and other premiership players around the park is too good to not be contending for a finals spot.
I agree that we have a great squad that should be making finals but we've lost our mojo unfortunately.

Unless Simpson can pull some mind games with the squad we're going to be sitting in the bottom half of the league for the time being.

I agree that we have a great squad that should be making finals but we've lost our mojo unfortunately.

Unless Simpson can pull some mind games with the squad we're going to be sitting in the bottom half of the league for the time being.
I can see us finishing 5-8 next year if we have a good injury run and good luck with playing home games in Perth. But the cliff is coming, hopefully some smart drafting this year to start.

Call me a hopeless optimist, but I can foresee the Pies making the lower reaches of the 8 in 2022, and improving after that.

I believe our new coach has what it takes to make a real impact, develop our young list. He has a tremendous CV and it's just about unanimous in the industry that he is going to be a great coach.

Contrary to popular opinion, I believe that Collingwood has the basis of a solid, competitive team, and with a bit of luck in drafting/trading ....blue skies ahead!

I lived through our Wooden Spoon year in 76 and the transformation the following year when Hafey arrived was unbelievable. We basically had the same group of players in 77, with the exception of Magro and Worthington. I can see a repeat of this Phoenix rising from the ashes in 2022.

I thought a few big, long ones went through just pre-covid when those kinds of contracts fell out of fashion
Nope, just Grundy. Also, the dilemma with his contract wasn’t that it was mega bucks, it was that it was for 7 years so the relationship is locked in for better or for worse. I think it was something like $900,000 which isn’t exactly breaking the bank for what is probably your most important player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These threads absolutely leave easy targets on backs, but I’m happy to cop that because the more I look at this, the more I believe the Magpies will rise back up the ladder quicker than people believe.

The narrative at the moment appears to be that Collingwood have massive holes in its list and need a full rebuild to contend again. I don’t think that’s the case and believe they are just 2 positions away from being able to content again.

I had a look at the list of under 28s in another thread and posted below -

Taking a look at a 22 with the younger players and senior players under the age of 28, it’s evident a CHB and FF are the only two pieces of the puzzle.

FB: Ruscoe, Moore, Noble
HB: Quaynor, Maynard, Crisp
C: J Daicos, N Daicos, Poulter
HF: Bianco, Kelly, Henry
FF: McCreery, JDG, Ginnivan
R: Grundy, Adams, Macrae

INT: Lynch, Wilson, Brown, Murphy

I’ve gone with Maynard at CHB as he repeatedly had successes against KPFs who played that lead up role similar to a CHF. Also had JDG up forward as that is what we are blatantly missing, a KPF, but JDG isn’t necessarily a bad option to build your forward line around anyway.

Obviously have left out Pendles, Howe, Roughead, Sidebottom, Elliott (29) and Mihocek (28).

Do you reckon the Pies are more than 2 years away from returning to finals footy? I think they’ll be back in 24 months time.

Aw it's the new coach honeymoon period.

Like every rebuilding side there are a lot of promising pieces (and within a year you'll probably have enough to cobble together a premiership aspirant, but talent isn't the battle with a rebuild) but you're really looking at 3-4 years before getting finals with a lineup like that. Especially if your planning on Daicos and Macrae being a key component of your on ball brigade, + those key position stocks aren't anything to write home about either.

Players won't make it, players that do need to get the mileage in them to be ready to be a key contributor etc. Compare to other rebuilds going at the moment, and you'll see Collingwood is the least advanced of them at this point.

2024 if everything goes right. 2025 otherwise would be my prediction.

Like every rebuilding side there are a lot of promising pieces (and within a year you'll probably have enough to cobble together a premiership aspirant, but talent isn't the battle with a rebuild) but you're really looking at 3-4 years before getting finals with a lineup like that. Especially if your planning on Daicos and Macrae being a key component of your on ball brigade, + those key position stocks aren't anything to write home about either.

Players won't make it, players that do need to get the mileage in them to be ready to be a key contributor etc. Compare to other rebuilds going at the moment, and you'll see Collingwood is the least advanced of them at this point.

You'd probably be better advised to look to your own (Crows-coloured) backyard, making suggestions to improve your mob's lowly stocks, before dispensing your ill-considered advice to Collingwood mate. ;) :p

It’s actually the flip side.

People always dramatise and overestimate the demise of other footy sides after they have a poor season.

Before the coaching announcement, there was plenty of optimism for Collingwood fans throughout the season on the back of the kids unleashed in 2021.

Sides like Carlton, North and GCS are notorious cellar dwellers, Collingwood is notorious for making finals, and contending, so I don’t reckon they’ll be down for as long as you think.

Essendon is a prime example of doom and gloom for opposition fans and look at them now. They leapfrogged your mob and a few others.

It’s actually the flip side.

People always dramatise and overestimate the demise of other footy sides after they have a poor season.

Before the coaching announcement, there was plenty of optimism for Collingwood fans throughout the season on the back of the kids unleashed in 2021.

Sides like Carlton, North and GCS are notorious cellar dwellers, Collingwood is notorious for making finals, and contending, so I don’t reckon they’ll be down for as long as you think.

Essendon is a prime example of doom and gloom for opposition fans and look at them now. They leapfrogged your mob and a few others.

A poor season is underselling it, and quite likely McRae is going to face the same situation Noble and Nicks had to contend with in their first year, stabilising a broken football club.

Essendon didn't leapfrog us at all last season. Essendon were a mid table team in no mans land, we'd committed to a hard rebuild and was sitting as one of the worst teams in the modern era in 2020. It's decently easy to predict what occurs when teams enter deep rebuilds, which is what Collingwood is seemingly embarking on.

A poor season is underselling it, and quite likely McRae is going to face the same situation Noble and Nicks had to contend with in their first year, stabilising a broken football club.

Essendon didn't leapfrog us at all last season. Essendon were a mid table team in no mans land, we'd committed to a hard rebuild and was sitting as one of the worst teams in the modern era in 2020. It's decently easy to predict what occurs when teams enter deep rebuilds, which is what Collingwood is seemingly embarking on.
Would you like me to use a more dramatic adjective to appease you?

Once again, you’re dramatising Collingwood’s situation. Up until last year, they were playing finals, coming off a a GF and a Prelim, so I’d hardly classify it as a broken football club. I personally wouldn’t be comparing Collingwood to Adelaide and North. At the very least, Collingwood was competitive on field for majority of the season, unlike those two clubs at their worst.

Were you predicting Adelaide to finish above or below Essendon last season? They’ve leapfrogged Adelaide, and that’s putting it kindly.

And lastly, of course it’s easy to predict when clubs go into rebuild mode. Everyone automatically assumes they’ll be cellardwellars for the next 5 seasons. That’s pretty lazy IMO, thus the thread.

Highly rated within the club and from what I’ve seen of him, he is quality but just hasn’t had luck staying on the park at senior level. He actually broke his wrist or collarbone on debut against your mob last year or the year before.

The two positions we absolutely have to identify solutions for are the CHB and FF positions. We need that brute to replace Mihocek. In terms of a second KPF, Ollie Henry isn’t a KPF but he is one of the most athletically gifted Collingwood players I’ve seen in a long time and clubs can function with 1 gorilla alongside 1-2 medium sized like Henry and 3 smalls.
And you think this will be enough to slide on by 9 other clubs in 2 years without a CHB or FF?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back