Opinion Collingwood will return to finals footy in 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

The posts in this thread please me.
costanza-wink.gif

To be honest Collingwood are probably the least likely team in the comp to be playing finals in 2023.

Nick Daicos is a good start, but they really need to add quality to a pretty underwhelming u-23 group.

Would be interesting to see the approach next off-season with Moore and De Goey as free agents. There's a good chance compensation for those two could net top 5 picks.

Just a bit off the mark

Yep this, the salary cap disaster is going to take 7 years to subside. Until then unless they can convince good players to play for unders to subsidise Grundo et al…can’t see it happening

Maybe not

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve never been more convinced that a club would finish bottom 4 this year (coming from out of it) than I was of Collingwood this year. Never been more sure of a club winning a wooden spoon than I am of Collingwood next year. Finals in 2023 would be nothing short of a miracle.

Pies will bounce back soon enough because they’re Collingwood and it’s hard to keep them down, but the list is not in good shape. Think low expectations will actually help them out in the short term.

Miracle it is hey.

Fly worries me.
I have a completely unresearched theory... that softly spoken nice guys don't make good coaches, and nothing to do with the players not respecting them, but the problems the board, coaching staff, supporters and media will throw at them. The coach needs to be thick skinned and able to stand his ground against all those types that will come for him when things are not going well, and I'm not sure Fly is that type of guy. He had strong support at Richmond and he was only the 2nds coach/assistant to Dimma.
Head coach at Collingwood...Good luck Fly, hope I'm wrong.

Appears you were

Collingwood will s**t it in this year .....who's going beat them?......they have the right mix of players...they believe in themselves ....very well coached .....it's theirs to lose

Maybe not
Hey, we didn’t know you would take McCrae and successfully Hardwick-ize your club with him!

Smart move !!
(Didn’t work for the bombers etc., think the pies had the player types, physically and receptively)

Still, the Pies rise pales in comparison to the original Hardwick epiphany - 17th to premiers in just one year!!! 2016-2017. No flash in the pan either, it was the start of a 3-flag dynasty!

Still, the Pies rise pales in comparison to the original Hardwick epiphany - 17th to premiers in just one year!!! 2016-2017. No flash in the pan either, it was the start of a 3-flag dynasty!
Not only do Richmond supporters overexaggerate how good their team was and players are/were, but they also overexaggerate how bad they were?

17th in 2016?

And even if they were, that's a good thing?

Not only do Richmond supporters overexaggerate how good their team was and players are/were, but they also overexaggerate how bad they were?

17th in 2016?

And even if they were, that's a good thing?
I can’t believe Richmond went from wooden spooners in the EFL third grade reserves to premiers and NBA champions all in the one year! Amazing

Yep this, the salary cap disaster is going to take 7 years to subside. Until then unless they can convince good players to play for unders to subsidise Grundo et al…can’t see it happening
Still another 5 years of salary cap drama lies ahead at Collingwood after this year. How will we ever compete?

Outside the Cats in Round 1 and Lions in Round 4, the highest this Magpie defence has conceded in 2023 is 77 points to the Bombers on ANZAC day. It’s quite ridiculous how stingy they have been despite Moore’s deputy in Howe going down.

The rest of the scores conceded are 57 (Carlton), 55 (Giants), 48 (Swans), 58 (Crows), 64 (Saints), 49 (Tigers) and 64 (Port).

Such an underrated defensive unit.

Still another 5 years of salary cap drama lies ahead at Collingwood after this year. How will we ever compete?
McRae has been a revelation

It’s like when the pies trashed Vic Park and moved next door to punt road

They can’t be Richmond, but they can get as close as possible

Good on them too, I have no issue with it, imitation/flattery and all that

McRae the closest thing left to Hardwick in the league now- sad we have lost the great man apparently

Remove this Banner Ad

Back