95 Joshua Gibcus (GWV Rebels)
95 Tyler Norton (Murray)
94 Tom Brown (Murray)
94 William Bowden (Murray)
94 Ethan Warburton (Murray)
92 Joshua Misiti (Calder)
92 Joshua Rachele (Murray)
91 Lachlan Rathjen (Gippsland)
Athleticism isn't only just jumping, you do know that right? I credited Gibcus saying he has a good timing of his leap when going for intercept marking. Also jumping high is a technique too, obviously you can develop muscles in your leg to improve that but it's mainly technique, which is a really good trait to have in Gibcus's position. I ain't sure of Gibcus's speed and acceleration as i've never seen him isolated 1 on 1, so i can't make judgement on that but it's concerning don't you think he doesn't rebound the ball out of his defensive zone or is given that responsibility by his coaches, especially when he's given the licence to play off a man. I don't have an agenda against Gibcus but i feel he leaves a lot to be desired, as he hasn't been challenged or shown he can rebound out of 50. I also mentioned i'm happy to be proven wrong but from what i've seen im not convinced as of yet, but that's partially down to covid, lack of exposure and not be tested by quality forwards.

He has shades of both, I’ve thought that since last year. Not sure I can be bothered going back to find if I said it anywhere though 🤷‍♂️

Not sure how old you are Ed.

He looks a lot more like Ablett Snr when he was at Hawthorn and played on a wing than Jnr imo. Even down to the running style, ball drop and crouched style

Athleticism isn't only just jumping, you do know that right? I credited Gibcus saying he has a good timing of his leap when going for intercept marking. Also jumping high is a technique too, obviously you can develop muscles in your leg to improve that but it's mainly technique, which is a really good trait to have in Gibcus's position. I ain't sure of Gibcus's speed and acceleration as i've never seen him isolated 1 on 1, so i can't make judgement on that but it's concerning don't you think he doesn't rebound the ball out of his defensive zone or is given that responsibility by his coaches, especially when he's given the licence to play off a man. I don't have an agenda against Gibcus but i feel he leaves a lot to be desired, as he hasn't been challenged or shown he can rebound out of 50. I also mentioned i'm happy to be proven wrong but from what i've seen im not convinced as of yet, but that's partially down to covid, lack of exposure and not be tested by quality forwards.
All good mate. Watched him once, so yeh you may be right. You said Lever was more athletic, I think that is where you have mispresented him. Gibcus is known as an athletic freak with his vertical. There was an article a while back about him playing ruck for St Pats and just skying over everybody. I have no idea how good he will be and I hope my team doesn't draft him. But he is athletic.... that's for sure

Not sure how old you are Ed.

Hes looks a lot more like Ablett Snr when he was at Hawthorn and played on a wing than Jnr imo. Even down to the run I style, ball drop and crouched style
Wow this kid can seriously play. We have a beauty to add to our growing list of young talent.
How on earth KM do you think he lacks offensively?
he is the best junior general forward I have seen

Wow this kid can seriously play. We have a beauty to add to our growing list of young talent.
Actually would add N Daicos, he is a freak forward as well, some of junior games I have seen of him have been amazing. Those top two are elite

I don't know why you've chosen this particular hill to die on because he'll likely be gone before the Bombers pick.

All that off a small amount of footage, huge read!

I might have to save my review of Horne-Francis' game for my weekly wrap on ESPN. Maintain the suspense.

I'll give JHF what I feel will be appropriate kudos. Will be interesting to see if the JHF fan club will agree.

I was watching. I'll be providing my thoughts on how Horne-Francis has gone as always in a good amount of depth.

I would imagine any reasonable analyst would agree with the observations I'll share, with some of the hyperbole being shared on this thread, perhaps not.

But I'll reserve responses on JHF's game for until my weekly wrap has been released on ESPN so as to keep the discussion here going smoothly so that we don't have more pages getting bogged down in more of the same on JHF.

Yep, I think JHF can buck the trend of mediocre #1s.

Have been closer to Knighta’s stance (that he’ll be a great component, but maybe not a star) than the hype train, but you can’t watch what the kid just put out and not come away thinking we’ve got an unbelievable talent on our hands.

It’s not just how fast or explosively he moves, but the mechanics behind it. So efficient, intelligent and controlled in how he moves - that even if he doesn’t test elite for explosiveness or pace, in a game sense, he is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now you're doubling down, I've seen every game Jake Kelly has played obviously, their only similarity is they're both footballers and play mostly in defence.

Gibcus actually plays quite a bit of ruck at times for St.Pat's in the school comp..
I'm not doubling down i'm just explaining more in detail what i was referring to the Kelly comparison, and how they can play the same role in the afl but in Gibcus case to a higher level. My point still stands that i have reservations over him as a high end prospect, top 5 in fact. Just because i've acknowledged his traits as a player, doesn't in turn mean i'm back tracking. When you're comparing players that are likely getting drafted, they're good players regardless of their career in the afl, and it's fine margins that you assess from your observation when watching them play. My thing with Gibcus is, i don't think there's enough games of him to conclude he's gonna be xyz player like a Lever for instance who he's been most likened too. I've said in other posts just now to other people why i made my comments and i justified them with my reasoning, and i haven't said anything without giving a reason. That isn't doubling down, it's just me expanding my thoughts about him, from what i see with him, he doesn't have certain traits which the best defenders in the afl have, and that's something off course he can develop to become but i feel there are other draftees from previous years gone by had shown more promise than Gibcus has now but didn't get the lime light by the media. People won't agree with me cause it isn't popular and that's fine but i know that what i say will be taken out of context and think i don't rate Gibcus.

I think there will be a lot of upset Roos if we go in another direction.

I might have to save my review of Horne-Francis' game for my weekly wrap on ESPN. Maintain the suspense.

I'll give JHF what I feel will be appropriate kudos. Will be interesting to see if the JHF fan club will agree.

I was watching. I'll be providing my thoughts on how Horne-Francis has gone as always in a good amount of depth.

I would imagine any reasonable analyst would agree with the observations I'll share, with some of the hyperbole being shared on this thread, perhaps not.

But I'll reserve responses on JHF's game for until my weekly wrap has been released on ESPN so as to keep the discussion here going smoothly so that we don't have more pages getting bogged down in more of the same on JHF.
Bogged down, oh why not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a shocking take on Melbourne's success. Roos didn't bring a winning culture to the club. His record was no better than his predecessors from the decade prior. But he didn't receive any scrutiny because he was a media darling. And just look at the players that were traded in under Roos, and compare that to Goodwin. Not one player recruited during Roos' tenure remains at the club. The only decent player Melbourne got was Bernie Vince, and that was due to Goodwin, who was his mentor at Adelaide.

Melbourne's cultural change occurred in the preseason of 2021, when the whole team bought into team concepts. And 90% of the credit should go to Goodwin, with the assistance of the likes of Darren Burgess, Choco Williams and Adem Yze.

Vince and Cross I felt were sensible additions in that first offseason as Roos was coming in to take over as coach. Salem was drafted. Hunt and Harmes were both drafted that same offseason. How does their development compare to those drafted in the years drafted before them?

Petracca and Brayshaw were drafted that next offseason. Neal-Bullen also came in. Garlett was secured for a late pick and was a successful list addition. He had some good years and was a piece.

The next offseason, Oliver was added.

That's a good deal of Melbourne's most important ingredients even if you don't agree with the leadership and culture development narrative.

Before Roos, Melbourne would take early picks and end up with Watts/Scully/Trengove/Toumpas and have those career outcomes and lack of development. Until Roos, there wasn't an environment where those kinds of talents could develop. Roos was an essential part of that process to developing the leaders in Jones/Viney/Gawn to enable those guys drafted while Roos was there to then develop meaningfully under Roos and into stars in more recent seasons.

Roos obviously isn't responsible for Melbourne's jump this year specific. He's no longer at the club. And all the staff you mention were huge. In my video which is what's being references, I mention the coaching staff inclusive of assistant coaches as having been one of those most influential components to Melbourne's rise.

All that off a small amount of footage, huge read!
You don't need to watch a 1000 games to assess a player having a good technique at jumping at a mark, and if you've played the sport you'd know a little bit about athleticism and what it would mean. Anyways i've justified my reasoning now on Josh Gibcus, feel free to read over it and say why i'm wrong if you choose too but i ain't changing my mind cause it's not the popular opinion. Btw i like your takes on draftees, so i don't want any dispute or animosity regarding a difference of opinion.

All good mate. Watched him once, so yeh you may be right. You said Lever was more athletic, I think that is where you have mispresented him. Gibcus is known as an athletic freak with his vertical. There was an article a while back about him playing ruck for St Pats and just skying over everybody. I have no idea how good he will be and I hope my team doesn't draft him. But he is athletic.... that's for sure
Of Gibcus's 12.5 disposals 7.9 are intercept possessions. Elite intercepting, elite athleticism, fantastic mark. Josh Gibcus to Jake Kelly comparisons are akin to Darcy Moore to Simon Prestigiacomo... one is an intercepting machine with good athleticism, the other is a good, solid lockdown defender.

Of Gibcus's 12.5 disposals 7.9 are intercept possessions. Elite intercepting, elite athleticism, fantastic mark. Josh Gibcus to Josh Kelly comparisons are akin to Darcy Moore to Simon Prestigiacomo... one is an intercepting machine with good athleticism, the other is a good, solid lockdown defender.
I SAID THEY WILL PLAY THE SAME ROLE IN THE AFL, NOT HIS POTENITAL TO BE OF JAKE KELLY, DON'T MAKE THIS A NARRATIVE I CREATED FROM NOW ON.

Of Gibcus's 12.5 disposals 7.9 are intercept possessions. Elite intercepting, elite athleticism, fantastic mark. Josh Gibcus to Josh Kelly comparisons are akin to Darcy Moore to Simon Prestigiacomo... one is an intercepting machine with good athleticism, the other is a good, solid lockdown defender.
It's even worse he's comparing him to Jake Kelly who I've seen play every AFL game he's played.

It's even worse he's comparing him to Jake Kelly who I've seen play every AFL game he's played.
Please i beg, read what i've said to other peoples comments, i did not mean it that Gibcus will be Jake Kelly, simply the role they'll play. I chose Kelly cause he's coming to my team this trade period, and was the player i thought that could play a position of someone like a kelly. I even acknowledged that Gibcus doesn't hesitate on the ball like Kelly, but is a taller version of him playing that role where he can intercept and pass it off to other players that will do the rebounding of the defence sort of what kelly does at Adelaide, and how Gibcus can play on a small defender, third tall of an attack and play on a player like dusty when they drift forward.

I SAID THEY WILL PLAY THE SAME ROLE IN THE AFL, NOT HIS POTENITAL TO BE OF JAKE KELLY, DON'T MAKE THIS A NARRATIVE I CREATED FROM NOW ON.
I wasn’t looking who said it, I was scrolling and saw Mutineer mention it. Then there was questions over his athleticism. There shouldn’t be, he would beat a lot of mids for athleticism. He’s literally a Darcy Moore/Ben McKay type who will develop into that type of role, particularly once he adds more strength to his frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back