Opinion Best 22 for 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Prior to starting this exercise, I thought we had a really good side that could match any team in the comp.

By halfway through this exercise, aside from our backline which is stacked with quality B grade footballers (apart from Weitering and Jones). I found mainly C grade footballers. We have so much potential.
The poor performances, coupled with injuries (e.g. Marchbank and Curnow on talent alone are A+ players) and the lack of player development has really smashed us.
We are in trouble.
Righto Bucky

In making my best 22, I've decided to start with the 'locks' in the side instead of going by each position.

FB - Newman, Jones, ______

HB - Saad, Weitering, Williams

M - ______, Cripps, Walsh

HF - Martin, C. Curnow, _____

FF - Owies, McKay, Silvagni

FOL - De Koning, _____, Kennedy*

I/C - Docherty, Stocker, E. Curnow**, _____

* Controversial, but his back half of the year and especially how he stood up in Cripps' absence was in my opinion phenomenal.

** Can apply a tag, kick bags of goals up forward, and still provide a spark in the middle - so important to the side.

Now the rest of the positions can only be determined once some other decisions are made.
~ Does Docherty play in defence, wing, or a mixture of both?
~ Does Stocker have just stints through the midfield, or do we unleash him as a full time on-baller?
~ E.Curnow - midfield, wing, or forward?
~ Do we end up trading in Cerra and/or Hewett?
~ Do we stick with JSOS or Pittonet as a 2nd ruck, or do we get a new KPF/ruck in the trade?

So, who else comes into the side... Dow? O'Brien? Fogarty? Fisher? SPS? Cuningham? Plowman? McGovern? Honey?

Would love to know your thoughts!
Newman, Owies, Kennedy, Docherty and E Curnow are not locks in my view.
Kennedy and Curnow under pressure if we get Cerra and Hewett.
I’d prefer Durdin or Fisher to Owies.
Kemp and Marchbank options for third tall down back, instead of Newman. Stocker I think has found his spot in the backline even if ultimately he can play mid.
Our midfield is our biggest weakness - need some of Dow, Setterfield, Kennedy, Cuningham, to demand a role and show they can add value resting forward.
Our wings are massive holes. Walsh must play on ball.

Last edited:

FB - L.Plowman // L.Jones // S.Docherty
HB - A.Saad // J.Weitering // Z.Williams
C - S.Walsh // L. Stocker // A. Cerra
HF - J. Martin // C.Curnow // J. Silvagni
FF - M. McGovern // H. McKay // J. Honey
RR - T. De Koning // G. Hewett // P. Cripps

I/C - M. Kennedy // N. Newman // E. Curnow // B. Kemp // P. Dow? // New Ruckman?

Depth - L. O'Brien // T. Williamson // M. Pittonet // L. Fogarty // S. Durdin // Z. Fisher // W. Setterfield // D. Cunningham // C. Marchbank

We are clearly in need of some backup KPP's.

On paper, that team is :fire:

you are the one poster that had Caleb marchbank in the side and if he can overcome injury just how great a footballer he is because of his capacity to run over the ground over 4 quarters and his pace and athleticism which will allow him to match up on hey hybrids that we couldn't contain this year like the Swans Isaac heeney

FB - L.Plowman // L.Jones // S.Docherty
HB - A.Saad // J.Weitering // Z.Williams
C - S.Walsh // L. Stocker // A. Cerra
HF - J. Martin // C.Curnow // J. Silvagni
FF - M. McGovern // H. McKay // J. Honey
RR - T. De Koning // G. Hewett // P. Cripps

I/C - M. Kennedy // N. Newman // E. Curnow // B. Kemp // P. Dow? // New Ruckman?

Depth - L. O'Brien // T. Williamson // M. Pittonet // L. Fogarty // S. Durdin // Z. Fisher // W. Setterfield // D. Cunningham // C. Marchbank

We are clearly in need of some backup KPP's.

On paper, that team is :fire:

Great work Rustica. A good list / team. I'm concerned about the lack of a small / mid defender and I want two more Honeys on the list. I was really concerned with Docherty's year, he was very fumbly and conceded some easier goals - the way i saw it he had to be moved to midfield / wing to get him out of defence. Healthwise too, fingers crossed he comes back...

The forward line looks a little slow so a Cuningham if fit will need to be in.

I guess with Voss's time at Port he might be a big fan of going tall too, but still looks a little slow to me. We might concede D50 goals on that basis.

Well, it looks like Cerra and Hewett are both quite likely to play for us next year. Here is my best 22 for 2022...

FB - Newman, Jones, Stocker

HB - Saad, Weitering, Williams

M - Walsh, Cripps, Hewett

HF - Martin, C. Curnow, Fisher

FF - Owies, McKay, Silvagni

FOL - De Koning, Cerra, Kennedy

I/C - Plowman, E. Curnow, Honey, ______

That last spot in the side could really go to anyone. Will Doc manage to play a few games for us next year? Does Voss have faith in Dow/LOB? Will Fogarty have a huge pre-season? Will Gov defy expectations? Do we end up targeting a genuine ruck (Ladhams) or just stick with JSOS as ruck relief? Does Kemp take the next step?

I know there’s still two rounds to go, trade period, draft and another pre-season…

Frankly, I had enough of this cursed season and looking forward to the next season.

We are likely to have a new coach and a different game plan.
Yep, lots of changes to come.
But, why not have a quick look at our best 22 for 2022.

I’m assuming that everyone is fit and ready to go, with the obvious retirements.
We are due for a bit of luck on the injury fronts!

Here are my thoughts – what are yours?
Having done my 22, yeah we could do with Cerra in the middle :D

FB: Plowman - Jones - Williams
HB: Saad - Weitering - Stocker
C: Docherty - Cripps - Martin
HF: Cunningham – C.Curnow - Fisher
FF: Owie - McKay - Honey

R: TDK - Walsh - Dow
Int: Kemp - JSOS – Fogarty – McGovern

Unlucky/ Depth
Newman – I just can’t find a spot for him
Kennedy – Should he play instead of Cunningham?
Marchbank - Super talented, but who knows
O'Brien – Is he sticking around?
SPS – Is he sticking around?

I’m not sold on these guys:
Michael Gibbons
Jack Newnes
Tom Williamson
Will Setterfield
Mark Pittonett

Kids (Let them earn their opportunities with no pressure)
Durdin
Carroll
Ramsay
Parks
Philp
Just a quick edit to include Cerra and Hewett - to see how our best 22 would look.
I've dropped Forgaty and Owie for Cerra and Hewett and moved a few players around - that's a decent team that Vossy can work with :D

FB: Plowman - Jones - Williams
HB: Saad - Weitering - Stocker
C: Docherty - Cripps - Cerra
HF:
Cunningham – C.Curnow - Martin
FF:
Fisher - McKay - Honey

R: TDK - Walsh - Hewett
Int:
Kemp - JSOS – Dow – McGovern

edit: I've just noticed that I had no room for Ed Curnow.
I can't fit him in.
My 23rd player would be Fogarty though

Last edited:
On the proviso we get Hewett and Cerra and pending doch's health.

FB: Docherty, Jones, Plowman
HB: Saad, Weitering, Stocker
C: Williams, Cripps, Martin
R: TDK, Walsh, Cerra
HF: Fisher, C Curnow, Silvagni
F: Honey, McKay, Owies
I: Hewett, Kemp, Dow, Kennedy
Depth: E Curnow, Fogarty, McGovern, LOB, Newman, Pitto, Gibbons, Williamson, Cuningham, Setterfield etc.

Plenty of depth on our list at the moment.

Assuming Cerra and Hewett:

Best 22:

FB: Newman, Jones, Plowman
HB: Williams, Weitering, Saad
CT: O’Brien, Cripps, Walsh
HF: Martin, Curnow, JSOS
FF: Honey, McKay, Fisher
RU: TDK, Stocker, Cerra
INT: Hewett, Dow, McGovern, Kemp

Players who I have as best 22 but won’t include due to injury/health:
Docherty
Cuningham
Marchbank

Hopefully Setters, Kennedy, and Fogarty keep banging the door down and demand selection. Would love for Ramsay to develop into a quality wing, as outside run does seem to be an issue for us. I really rate Carroll, seems to have some real class and IT factor. Durdin and Owies could easily find themselves in the team ahead of Fisher so that will be an interesting call.

Biggest thing for mine is making sure we find the right balance of playing the kids (and in their natural positions) whilst ensuring we get the right mix. It’s make or break time to find out what we have with kids like Dow and O’Brien. Play them in their natural positions, give them an extended run to prove themselves, and then go from there. Don’t play them half forward, drop them when they have quiet games due to being played in positions that don’t harness their strengths, and then play them in their natural positions in the reserves the following week. That drives me bonkers. Unleash the Stock in the midfield.

Docherty Jones Plowman
Saad Weitering Williams
Cerra Cripps Philp
Martin Curnow Honey
Fisher McKay Silvagni

TDK Walsh Dow

Stocker Hewett Cuningham Kemp

Notes :
Obviously pending confirmation re Cerra Hewett and Docherty.

Voss has stated he wants to play a power brand of football.
The rotation certainly adds strength along those lines.

Very keen to see Honey and Philp given a chance.
Also liked the glimpse of Durdin and watching Carroll very closely …

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fisher has more upside, but on output I have Owies ahead of him. Fish needs a solid, uninterrupted pre season - it has been a disappointing two years with injuries and average output, including being unable to convert to convert regulation crumbing snaps for goal.

Bringing Cerra and Hewett in means that's two less spots available for midfield roles.

Unless they are going to be placed in a back pocket, HBF or HFF position, there is going to be a lot of competition amongst Setterfield, Dow, Cunners, Philp, Stocker, Kemp. Williamson and Fog for limited spots and game time in the midfield. LOB has a leg up by having the engine to take up a wing role.

This is my take for 2022 side taking into account Cerra and Hewett join.
Still bullish Zac Williams can play on-ball and Mitch is best suited to backline.

We still need to trade/draft for some key position players and a
good ruck to help TDK but i think overall if we have a good run
with injuries theres a lot to like.

Stocker Jones. Gov
Doc Weitering Saad
Cerra Williams LOB
Martin Curnow Silvagni
Fisher McKay Honey

TDK Cripps
Walsh

Inter : Dow Hewett Kemp Caroll

Sub - Kennedy
Emerg. Philip Durdin Cunners Ed Newman

Everyone go and watch the role Angus Brayshaw played last night. He was instrumental on the wing - and he is very similar to George Hewett in most facets. We are crying out for a wingman and I hope Hewett is that man.

Need to push for speed and physicality. Need to be able to attack which we are ok at and defend which we are poor at. Need to push the talented young players into the team. Midfield needs a rebuild.

Assuming recruits eventuate...

B: Plowman Weitering Williams
HB: Docherty Jones Saad
C: Kemp Cripps Philp
HF: Honey Curnow Martin
F: Owies McKay Durdin
OB: DeKoning Cerra Walsh
IC: Newman Stocker Hewett Silvagni
EM: Williamson Kennedy Dow McGovern

Stocker, Cerra and Hewett into our midfield.
Kemp if he can get fit enough onto a wing. Otherwise replaces Plowman in defence. Must play Kemp.
Maybe Carroll to a wing? Wing position is unfilled. Ramsay needs to be developed there. O'Brien still not written off for mine.
McGovern can't be written off, a potential upgrade to Plowman as is Marchbank. Needs to be played in defence. IMO we can improve our third tall defender as Plowman is just an average player, need speed there and someone who plays taller.

So much can change.

Fundamentals:
If you don't attack the contest consistently well you don't play.
If your defensive efforts are poor you don't play.
If you don't tackle well you don't play.

I like seeing exciting players in the team

Cuningham | Honey | Martin | Williams | Charlie | Crippa | Kemp - all these blokes have factor X and only a couple has been fit to play fit in second half of the year.

Of the newer players who fluked a game under Teague

Honey is my top pick and expect him to solidify his place in teh team and make a huge impact - I think both Kemp and Durdin looked really good and TDK will be better as he grows into his body.

Weitering | Walsh and Harry pretty much carried the side as did Saad at times SOJ can beadded to that list

The team hasn't had the experience of playing a whole of field connected game - I think good coaching and a system of play should see blokes lift generally.

All of the above are low risk will do well types.

The three questions I have and if answered well by the Club should see the side start really motor are:

1. Will Marchbank | McGovern and Cuningham come back fit by the end of the pre-season?
2. Can we find two genuine wingmen - by thsi I mean able to win contested ball, run each way and also execute precise kicks into forward 50?
3. Can we find 4 rotation mids from Setterfield | Kennedy | Dow | Philp | Carroll | Kemp | Stocker | Ramsay that we can count on between the arcs?

Finally, it is a big ask of VOss to come in and fix everythign in one pre-season - btu I woudl liek to see at teh very least players knwoing where they should be and a less helter skelter makey-uppy game style.

If we get things 80% right it should make for fun watching - as oppossed to the torture we've had to endure watchgign eye-bleeding stuff over teh last few years.

I like seeing exciting players in the team

Cuningham | Honey | Martin | Williams | Charlie | Crippa | Kemp - all these blokes have factor X and only a couple has been fit to play fit in second half of the year.

Of the newer players who fluked a game under Teague

Honey is my top pick and expect him to solidify his place in teh team and make a huge impact - I think both Kemp and Durdin looked really good and TDK will be better as he grows into his body.

Weitering | Walsh and Harry pretty much carried the side as did Saad at times SOJ can beadded to that list

The team hasn't had the experience of playing a whole of field connected game - I think good coaching and a system of play should see blokes lift generally.

All of the above are low risk will do well types.

The three questions I have and if answered well by the Club should see the side start really motor are:

1. Will Marchbank | McGovern and Cuningham come back fit by the end of the pre-season?
2. Can we find two genuine wingmen - by thsi I mean able to win contested ball, run each way and also execute precise kicks into forward 50?
3. Can we find 4 rotation mids from Setterfield | Kennedy | Dow | Philp | Carroll | Kemp | Stocker | Ramsay that we can count on between the arcs?

Finally, it is a big ask of VOss to come in and fix everythign in one pre-season - btu I woudl liek to see at teh very least players knwoing where they should be and a less helter skelter makey-uppy game style.

If we get things 80% right it should make for fun watching - as oppossed to the torture we've had to endure watchgign eye-bleeding stuff over teh last few years.
RE question 1, it has been proven time and time again that Marchbank, McGovern and Cunningham cannot be replied upon to string games together without getting injured EOS. I would not count them them in any calculations or assessments for our process. Its not about talent, their bodies either through physiology, poor preparation or bad luck) cannot withstand the ever increasing rigors of AFL football. I never include them when I am doing my best 22 sides.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back